New New Zealand Zealand Flag Flag

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 18 2015, 11:22pm

Post #1 of 22 (1073 views)
Shortcut
New New Zealand Zealand Flag Flag Can't Post

http://www.foxnews.com/...-national-flag-with/

(I can't believe I beat Starling to the punch! Or the worm . . . or something)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 19 2015, 12:51am

Post #2 of 22 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Chocobo Rider! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wark!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 1:31am

Post #3 of 22 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Here are some more--some really nice ones on this page: [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.govt.nz/...ide/gallery/?start=0

I'm still looking for a ring, or a hobbit hole, or Edoras to appear somewhere . . .

Starling
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 5:56am

Post #4 of 22 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Look at number 7 in this gallery [In reply to] Can't Post

That might be what you are after.

I am thrilled to see the NZ public treating the Prime Minister's vanity project with the 'respect' it deserves.
Personally I rather like numbers 14 and 17 in this gallery - simple, yet elegant.

Ten people came to the first flag meeting in Christchurch. I'm amazed it was that many. I possibly should have gone for the afternoon tea, as I imagine the outrageous $26m budget would provide plenty of sausage rolls.

Lissuin
Valinor

May 19 2015, 7:53am

Post #5 of 22 (1006 views)
Shortcut
1301 designs. 95 of those submitted by identifiably female names. Odd. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you suppose New Zealand women know this is a silly exercise and have more important things to do? Angelic

Campbell Live 1/2-hour phone text poll just now: Does New Zealand need a new flag? 25,000 responders - 88% No, 12% Yes
Their poll in January had a very similar result.

Give it up, John.
Tongue

(This post was edited by Lissuin on May 19 2015, 8:07am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 7:55am

Post #6 of 22 (998 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

The White Tree of ... New Zealand?

Actually, some really nice ones, along with some hilarity.

Starling
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 9:22am

Post #7 of 22 (996 views)
Shortcut
The infuriating thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe we do need a new flag, or at least we need to start the conversation about it. We do need to slap the Union Jack right off our flag, as Otis Frizzel so eloquently put it.
But this whole process is such a self indulgent and flawed dollop of bovine excrement!
How can we have a referendum to choose a new flag when we have never been asked if we want it changed in the first place? That should have been the start of the conversation. Seems pretty basic to me.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 19 2015, 10:27am

Post #8 of 22 (986 views)
Shortcut
*raises eyebrows* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got to remember this: "dollop of bovine excrement".

Starling, you have an amazing way with words! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lissuin
Valinor

May 19 2015, 11:48am

Post #9 of 22 (979 views)
Shortcut
That little birdie [In reply to] Can't Post

knows her way around the TOS, I reckon. Wink

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 19 2015, 1:33pm

Post #10 of 22 (966 views)
Shortcut
I vote for the sheep & ice cream flag [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 2:43pm

Post #11 of 22 (955 views)
Shortcut
Ah! Yes. I think I want [In reply to] Can't Post

that one for my own personal country I'm creating--actually, I seem to have been involved in that before around here.Blush

Anyway, I had no idea they hadn't even asked the public!

We had that happen here in NY, but it was just the license plates--they claimed the police couldn't see the numbers on the nice shiny white ones, and that we desparately needed a whole new design. The local news went on a nightime ride-along with a nice officer, who declared he could see the stuff on the plates just fine; and through the news camera inside the car, so could all the rest of us. They won anyway (the reporter hinted about all the revenue when we all had to buy new plates instead of switching the old ones to a new car), and now we have these odd boring semi-retro ones.

Hope you guys have better luck there! (It's a bit more important than the "label" on a car.CrazySly)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 2:45pm

Post #12 of 22 (952 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, we should vote here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I li[c]ked that one too.Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 3:17pm

Post #13 of 22 (948 views)
Shortcut
Flight of the Conchords! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

May 19 2015, 6:32pm

Post #14 of 22 (941 views)
Shortcut
I am simply trying to disprove [In reply to] Can't Post

the commonly held belief that people who swear regularly and copiously are in possession of a limited vocabulary. Laugh

On a side note, someone around here should submit a few Thorin and/or Thranduil portrait NZ flag designs. Imagine how majestic they could look in a *light* Wellington breeze, proudly installed above the Beehive...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2015, 5:16am

Post #15 of 22 (899 views)
Shortcut
I like a space-invaders themed one [In reply to] Can't Post

where the 'extra' stars are being blown off the Australian flag.

Honestly, someone has designed it!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 20 2015, 2:51pm

Post #16 of 22 (876 views)
Shortcut
I know I don't get a vote but if I did I'd vote laser-eyed Kiwi [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that one is feisty, kind of like New Zealand.

But leave it to Fox News not to be able to recognize the context of the "four stars" in the corner. I swear they have no idea of anything outside of their own little world. Being from the Northern Hemisphere, I've never seen the Southern Cross, but I've read enough books about the sea to understand the importance of it. (Not to mention loving the CSN song... Smile ) I can imagine crossing the equator and watching the familiar sky disappear and looking for something else to steer by. That is one sight that is on my bucket list!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Starling
Half-elven

May 20 2015, 6:10pm

Post #17 of 22 (869 views)
Shortcut
Do you know about Matariki? [In reply to] Can't Post

You might find this interesting.
It's lovely to see Matariki celebrations becoming more mainstream. Our children at school are learning about Matariki at the moment, and we finish our unit with a visit from the Matariki Stardome, which will be very exciting.

(This post was edited by Starling on May 20 2015, 6:11pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 20 2015, 7:50pm

Post #18 of 22 (862 views)
Shortcut
That is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love seeing old customs come back. I'm glad they are incorporating them into the school curriculum too. I would love to see more Native American culture incorporated into our school's curriculum. We learn about it only in the context of European history. My first middle school was across the street from the Tuscarora Reservation so I picked up some of the culture that was left from kids in school, but not school itself.

Coincidentally, the Pleiades were one of the final clues in the Murdoch Mysteries Infernal Device online interactive. They are almost gone in our sky in the Northern Hemisphere; we see them in our fall too.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 21 2015, 12:10am

Post #19 of 22 (853 views)
Shortcut
Page 15 has a Hobbit FLAG..? [In reply to] Can't Post

RED above a Blue Hobbit Hole

3 White Dots, one for a Round Door &
2 Smaller ones on either side for Windows...

Don't think it will win though...
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 21 2015, 2:09am

Post #20 of 22 (843 views)
Shortcut
Here it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://vice-images.vice.com/...image-1432097800.jpg

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 23 2015, 4:58pm

Post #21 of 22 (768 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 23 2015, 5:00pm

Post #22 of 22 (766 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

well it might be time to "slap that union jack" off there...

now that it's memorial weekend here in the US and everything is stars and stripes and stuff...

(we still love you England)

As an outsider, i first think of kiwis and ferns and Maoris... and that it's an island, uh, two islands...

I'd hope they'd put something Maori on there.

But then, sheep.... baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.