The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOTFA: Lack of Army Banners on the Battlefield

Arandir
Gondor

May 18 2015, 5:17pm

Post #1 of 7 (6126 views)
Shortcut
BOTFA: Lack of Army Banners on the Battlefield Can't Post

Something I've just realised (but was probably always evident, subconsciously) is the lack of banners displayed by the armies during their 5-way conflict.

I may be wrong here but the Dwarves, the Lake-Men and the Orc armies boast virtually no banners whatsoever. Meanwhile, the Elves have a few scattered flags here and there only visible in the wideshot when Thranduil and Bard approach the Gate of Erebor to parley with Thorin.

I missed seeing what the filmmakers would come up with in terms of designs for Lake-town or the Iron Hills: motifs and colours that represent the culture and peoples of that respective army.

Think of the intricate designs of the Galadhrim Elves at Helm's Deep, or the Rohirrim and Uruk-Hai banners. The Pelennor Fields had Gondor, Mordor Orcs and unquestionably the red serpent of the Haradrim. Even the Battle of Dagorlad in the FoTR prologue gives us Elves and Orcs with their respective banners.

I think showing standard bearers carrying their respective coat of arms would give that army a distinctive and, most importantly, cohesive look to it: as a proper battlefield should look like! Angelic

Come to think of it, I doubt there's any in the Battle of Azanulbizar flashback either.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

May 18 2015, 5:45pm

Post #2 of 7 (6071 views)
Shortcut
The Orcs from Dol Guldur did have banners... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but only when they left Dol Guldur in DOS: Orc banner in Dol Guldur and in BOTFA I only spotted a few Orc Banners at the beginning of the fight: Orc banner at the Battle of the Five Armies

Concerning the Dwarves from the Iron Hills... yes. There weren't any banners but don't forget we haven't seen the whole army in the theatrical version. There's still the cavalry with the battle rams and the Dwarven artillery from the trailers. Perhaps we'll see a couple of Dwarven banners there?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 18 2015, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 7 (6067 views)
Shortcut
The orcs have banners [In reply to] Can't Post

http://screencapped.net/...08#top_display_media

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 18 2015, 6:03pm

Post #4 of 7 (6055 views)
Shortcut
AGREED… [In reply to] Can't Post

They bore with them the green banner of the Elvenking and the blue banner of the Lake. . .
The Hobbit –Gathering of the Clouds (text)

Their banners were countless, black and red . . . [orcs]
–The Clouds Burst (text)

I find no textual reference (in The Hobbit) to a banner of Dain or the Dwaves.

Yes, the filmmakers could have designed some whoopee banners. . .

The door seems wide open – green, blue, black and red… Hmmm….

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

May 19 2015, 7:37pm

Post #5 of 7 (5829 views)
Shortcut
Their were some Dwarven Banners... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure I saw them in the background. In some parts of the battle you could see rams in the background (or some sort of mount), and a bunch of banners moving behind it. It seems like those were Dwarven Banners. I don't think their were any banners in the Battle of Pelennor Fields, or in the Siege of Gondor, except for the one when the battle ends.

I think its more because we didn't see the whole army. The people who were fighting would most likely not be holding a banner. Except for the orcs, I feel like they're either melee or bannermen. We do see a few orc archers in Moria, Osgiliath, and Helms Deep. They don't usually make any big appearance. Oh! I forgot, Bolg uses a bow in the Forest River Fight.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 20 2015, 4:09pm

Post #6 of 7 (5756 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean [In reply to] Can't Post

this http://screencapped.net/...06#top_display_media

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 20 2015, 8:24pm

Post #7 of 7 (5728 views)
Shortcut
Must be a Dwarf banner! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the Iron Hills. A grouping of 3 red summits. I like the choice. This should be a Geeky Observation for Gramma's list...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.