The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! May 14 AND May 21

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 15 2015, 6:53pm

Post #1 of 14 (975 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! May 14 AND May 21 Can't Post

Greetings, TORn Walkers, Runners, Tidiers, and all! It's time to find out where all that lovely Earthly activity has brought you in Middle Earth... so, how's the view from your corner of the world?

My progress:
Miles covered (two weeks): 34
Cumulative miles: 374
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

Whooo, I made it here at last! RL's been full of end-of-the-school-year craziness, which has done little for my mileage but gives me some sense for the volume of learning and growing my kids have done this year.

Oh, goody. I'm in the Trollshaws. And it's started to rain. Again. It's very 'art imitates life', actually; we're having an inordinately wet Spring thus far, here in Northern Colorado.

Have a great next week!

Arandiel

Resources
The Walk with the Fellowship Challenge
The Eowyn Challenge Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbitty journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page is useful for keeping track of mileage, though be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

(This post was edited by Silverlode on May 22 2015, 5:35am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 15 2015, 7:27pm

Post #2 of 14 (963 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a very busy couple of weeks for me, which, while tiresome, have greatly boosted my mileage.

My progress:
Miles covered this past two weeks: 98
Cumulative miles: 458 + 70
Goal: Rivendell to Lothlórien

It took me 123 days to reach Rivendell, but I did it! Now I'm off to peek into Galadriel's mirror. Cool

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 15 2015, 7:32pm

Post #3 of 14 (956 views)
Shortcut
Hey, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow - that mileage is impressive!

May your journey to Lothlorien be equally successful. But less tiring. Wink

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 15 2015, 7:34pm

Post #4 of 14 (955 views)
Shortcut
Here's to that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2015, 11:39am

Post #5 of 14 (927 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Travellers! [In reply to] Can't Post

The good weather is FINALLY moving in! We're kinda up and down in the temp and rain, but it's all good. The farms all around my home have got their fields seeded, so the soft rains every couple of days is perfect! The flowers and trees are smiling, too :)

I'm getting a LOT of home repair and yard work done, but not as much as I'd like. Hopefully things will quiet down soon so I can really plow!

So the Fellowship and I have left Rivendell and are on our way towards Hollin. It's going to take a while, but we'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other :)

Thanks lots for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel. I hope your days are simplified once the kids are done with school. *waves at Fellow Travellers* See ya on the Road!

Miles covered: 25 miles 5/7 and 28 miles 5/14
Cumulated miles: 513
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Lothlórien and peek into a mirror – 462 miles + 458 (Rivendell) = 920 Cumulated miles

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2015, 11:40am

Post #6 of 14 (925 views)
Shortcut
Zoooom! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lookit that BlackFox fly!! AWESOME!!! :D

Have a great journey, BF!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 16 2015, 12:18pm

Post #7 of 14 (925 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The same to you! Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

May 18 2015, 12:30pm

Post #8 of 14 (903 views)
Shortcut
Oh my - those end of school concerts! [In reply to] Can't Post

The two Nottettes are both involved in music, and the end of school brings one or two concerts a week for the entire month of May. At least as they get older the music transitions from horrifying/amusing to enjoyable.

Lots of running, a little bit of snacking and look - I'm down 10 pounds from my starting weight! Already back into my "acceptable" range, but hoping I can keep this going for another 5 pounds.

And wow - did I pick a bad time to report on my Walk. We've all* been captured by trolls who are going to make soup out of us. Or roast us. Or stir-fry us with a nice bit of tofu. Hard to tell, as they keep arguing.

*"All" apparently doesn't include the lay-about Gandalf, who has disappeared in our hour of need. As usual.

I'm at one of those awkward points in the map where Karin Fonstad notes that it's impossible to reconcile the Hobbit with LOTR, so oddly we were captured 6 miles ago but not rescued for another mile despite the book saying that it happens all in one place...

18 days of progress:
Miles covered this report: 112
Cumulative miles: 331
Goal: Dragons, and TREASURE! [Or simply not being eaten by trolls would work for now]

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2015, 6:15pm

Post #9 of 14 (880 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

you really CAN be in two places at once ;)

BIG CONGRATS on the 10 lbs! I don't know about you, but I find it's hard to do!

So many concerts... so much running around! Only 2 weeks to go!!! ;)

Have a wonderful time!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 22 2015, 5:18am

Post #10 of 14 (862 views)
Shortcut
Thursday, May 21 Update [In reply to] Can't Post

Whew, the week has flown by! And with lots of miles and fair(ish) weather - good for evading trolls and making progress out of Rivendell. Wink

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 20
Cumulative miles: 394
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

Speaking of trolls... I think we're in a bit of a time warp, Notta - I just passed them about a mile back, all turned to stone. Sam even recited the poem.

With one week left to go in the school year, things are still fairly hectic around here. But there was a break in the rain, so I got in some good weeding/landscaping miles!

Have fun and happy TORn walking!

- Ara

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 8:40am

Post #11 of 14 (855 views)
Shortcut
*waves to fellow walkers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, Arandiel!

I'm glad to hear the weather has been kinder on you. As for the hectic end of school year, hang in there!

Now, when I said the previous two weeks were busy for me, then this was plain crazy. Luckily, I'm beginning to get used to the madness. Laugh

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 62,5
Cumulatives miles: 458 + 132,5 = 590,5
Goal: Rivendell to Lothlórien

In Middle-earth, I continue journeying south with the Fellowship.

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2015, 10:17am

Post #12 of 14 (850 views)
Shortcut
Greetings Walkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done on passing those trolls you guys!! :D It's always nice to get those three behind you!

It's been weather up and down in Mid-Michigan. I've been wearing my coat in the morning and rolling down the windows in the afternoon... typical Spring :)

I started the Atkins diet on Monday and have lost 3 pounds already!! I probably would have lost more, but I got a bit under the weather for 2 days...so no exercise; but up until then I was KICKING IT! :D This weekend will be full of action, so I'm hoping for good results.

The Fellowship and I are still on our way out of Rivendell heading for the Mountains. We'll be doing this for a while ;)

Thanks for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! See everyone on the Road!!!

Miles covered: 28 miles
Cumulated miles: 548
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Lothlórien and peek into a mirror

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 22 2015, 10:19am

Post #13 of 14 (849 views)
Shortcut
Hey BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting used to the madness? Actually, that can be a lot of fun!!! :D

Have a wonderful weekend and a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 22 2015, 2:15pm

Post #14 of 14 (846 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, I used to hate mowing the lawn, but now the prospect of adding to my mileage has me do extra bits. Crazy, I know! Laugh

All the best to you too, gramma! Smile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on May 22 2015, 2:19pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.