The ringwraith battle

NoelGallagher
Rohan

May 14 2015, 6:37pm

Post #1 of 18 (1507 views)
Shortcut
The ringwraith battle Can't Post

I read mostly negative comments about it, but is there anyone
who liked it? . The Design was alright to me, their fighting looked pretty good.
Just their appearance in front of Sauron looked weird, this should have been resoluted in a different way.

Thoughts?

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on May 14 2015, 6:37pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 14 2015, 6:41pm

Post #2 of 18 (1427 views)
Shortcut
I like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond and Saruman vs the ringwraith was awesome and the design was great.

Arthael
Lorien

May 14 2015, 7:00pm

Post #3 of 18 (1406 views)
Shortcut
I liked it a lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed their design and the fight itself was very entertaining. I do agree that their rise in front of Sauron, and then Sauron's "growth" looked pretty awful, like it was done at the last minute. The unused shot of Sauron in the trailer was much better.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Thrain II
Lorien

May 14 2015, 7:02pm

Post #4 of 18 (1407 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

the battle between Elrond and Saruman vs Ringwraiths was spectacular! I think the whole scene was a victim of some weird editing, but that part was perfect.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2015, 8:00pm

Post #5 of 18 (1353 views)
Shortcut
Here is a Question about Elrond.. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has one of the THREE, yet he fights with his SWORD..
Gandalf has one of the THREE..
& Galadriel's has "Nenya"..& with
just a Swipe of her Hand,
she dispatches Gandalf's Jailer..

he De-materializes into the EAST...

Why wouldn't Elrond use his RING against the Wraiths..,
What? doesn't IT have any POWER, TOO?

Bomby always assumed the THREE had MORE or LESS
equal Power..
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

greenbalrog
Bree

May 14 2015, 8:51pm

Post #6 of 18 (1327 views)
Shortcut
Was great! The only problem for me ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... was that it wasn't longer :) I would have loved to see the tease materialize and to actual see a fight between Saruman (or the other Istari/Elfs) and Sauron himself.

"Leave Sauron to me!". How cool was that? It was kind of a bummer to realize that there was no actual fight with Sauron but only an exchange of words and high-level magic. Oh, I guess we'll need to wait for the Battle of the Last Alliance for that one :) And mind you that I love the prologue of FotR.

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 14 2015, 8:56pm

Post #7 of 18 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Well, since you asked... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't mentioned this in any of my posts because I didn't see any point in saying it, but since someone is specifically asking - I thought it was terrible. I thought the special effects were very old fashioned and cheap looking, and Galadriel laying down and taking a nap for no apparent reason was just weird. However, Saruman's line, "Leave Sauron to me" was a real highlight and made sitting through the rest of the scene worthwhile.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

CathrineB
Rohan

May 14 2015, 9:00pm

Post #8 of 18 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Oposite for me [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the oposite for me. I first heard mostly just positive comments about it before seeing it myself so by the time I did I thought it was pretty bad Laugh I suppose the fight itself could have been worse, but when Sauron showed up and the nine beside him was like watching a video game. You know one of those reels showing up and you can pick what character to play? Crazy

greenbalrog
Bree

May 14 2015, 9:10pm

Post #9 of 18 (1312 views)
Shortcut
It's funny because it felt very real to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I give that it's kind of a weird fighting like you're fighting holograms or something. But I remember to be really spooked by how the 9 looked and how they are re-animated by Sauron when I first watched it in IMAX HDR 3D.

I think the battle was very well done, very real and spooky. A real joy to watch. No poor-CGI/game-feeling at all here. Of course, I can understand why others may think otherwise.

(This post was edited by greenbalrog on May 14 2015, 9:13pm)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

May 14 2015, 10:28pm

Post #10 of 18 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was one of the only things I liked in these films...

The only thing I would say is they it felt a little bit Harry Potter to me!

dormouse
Half-elven

May 14 2015, 10:53pm

Post #11 of 18 (1246 views)
Shortcut
But surely...... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the elven rings aren't weapons. Gandalf is a ring bearer but doesn't use his ring in Dol Guldur; Elrond doesn't use his as you point out and Saruman isn't a ring bearer (and yet is head of the White Council).

I may be getting this completely wrong but I thought that the thing Galadriel has in her hand is the star glass which she later gives to Frodo. The Elven rings are united in Dol Guldur but their power is protection, not aggression. At least, that's how I understand it.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2015, 11:00pm

Post #12 of 18 (1244 views)
Shortcut
LOOK closely..SHE [In reply to] Can't Post

ONLY uses the PHIAL LATER!

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Silmaril
Rohan

May 15 2015, 7:36am

Post #13 of 18 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Loved the whole scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially in the cinema it looked amazing! PJ did a great job. I'm sick of all this negativity about the movies...

adt100
Rohan

May 15 2015, 2:22pm

Post #14 of 18 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Really? I heard mostly positive reviews of the Dol Guldur scenes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

with the exception of it's brevity. I have some issues with it, the inconsistency of the Wraiths design between FOTR 'wraith world' on Weathertop being one of the biggest bug bears. Also the slight videogame nature of their moves. (I don't have any issue with the effects, merely the design choices in this regard).

Still one of he highlights of the film for me, as it was in DOS.

Imladris18
Lorien

May 15 2015, 7:59pm

Post #15 of 18 (946 views)
Shortcut
I only wish that it was longer. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I feel like I'm going to get my wish in November :)

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

May 16 2015, 3:51am

Post #16 of 18 (883 views)
Shortcut
everybody was possitive [In reply to] Can't Post

as they should. It was fantastic.
The main reason to see the movie over 300 times

redgiraffe
Rohan

May 17 2015, 10:19pm

Post #17 of 18 (708 views)
Shortcut
what i think [In reply to] Can't Post

The designs I definitely liked. I kind of wish we could have gotten a little more of them. And I actually really liked how they looked on the screen. This was one area where I didn't know if they used CGI or if they filmed actual actors in costume and manipulated the images to make it look like they weren't quite there. For the most part I liked the actual fight scene.

What I really didn't like was how they blinked when they were hit, and then when they appeared in front of Sauron. That just seemed cheesy to me.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

May 18 2015, 3:05pm

Post #18 of 18 (658 views)
Shortcut
For the most part I loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt that it was nice to see the Ringwraiths in a different guise, and the allusion to their heritages (i.e. their different armour) was a wonderful way of paying homage to the otherwise fairly secret history of the Nazgul in the context of the films (at least, pre-fall of Angmar).

Many had a problem with the CGI and I can understand that, though it didn't bother me particularly. However, as others have stated having the Ringwraiths appear in front of Sauron and then have Galadriel 'banish' all of them at once was not only confusing but also dreadful visually.

While I loved the scene in general it does contain, imho, the most fake looking shot from all six films thus far (Galadriel looks like an action figure!):

http://screencapped.net/...08#top_display_media

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.