Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Hello my excellent and admirable TORn friends - a request for music advice

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 14 2015, 2:07pm

Post #1 of 14 (540 views)
Shortcut
Hello my excellent and admirable TORn friends - a request for music advice Can't Post

My daughter and her troop are working on their Girl Scout Bronze Award about what families in our area can do to help save the Chesapeake Bay. They have lots of pictures of animals and the bay, some great graphics from Chesapeake Bay Foundation and have created a bunch of cute characters to speak their message (Henrietta the Heron, Rocky the Rockfish, Sammy the Seagull, Freddy the Frog, Ollie the Oyster and Carl the Crab). The audience is elementary school students and their families. Our girls are 5th grade 10-11 year olds.

We've been working hard on how to get the visuals to deliver the message but now that we're putting it together, we need music. I have too many things stuffed in my brain right now to be able to recognize the tune for Happy Birthday let alone come up with ideas for songs or instrumental music that we can put in back of the voice-over and at the end during the credits. It doesn't have to be the same song throughout but they have to "go together". We need about 5 minutes of music, I think.

Please, excellent and admirable TORn-mind - any suggestions?

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

May 14 2015, 3:12pm

Post #2 of 14 (501 views)
Shortcut
Pete Seeger [In reply to] Can't Post

This Land is Your Land

If you can find a copy of The Limelighters' "Through Children's Eyes," there's a nice mashup of "America the Beautiful" with "This Land is Your Land."

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on May 14 2015, 3:14pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

May 14 2015, 3:29pm

Post #3 of 14 (493 views)
Shortcut
How about... [In reply to] Can't Post

The song "Seagull" from Bad Company. Appropriate species, appropriate habitat and appropriate sentiment. And a great song as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwGV0sdOr0

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

cats16
Half-elven

May 14 2015, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 14 (485 views)
Shortcut
A suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm on a big Of Monsters and Men kick right now, so perhaps one of their songs could fit into your video. I don't know if you've heard of them, but I'll link a couple that *might* work for you. The choruses could be lifted from them quite easily, too, if the slow beginnings don't work.

Here's "Dirty Paws": https://www.youtube.com/...B7oajLc9&index=2

"Sloom": https://www.youtube.com/...7oajLc9&index=13

Plenty of other songs of theirs out there, too.

If nothing else, perhaps you'll like the band. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

May 15 2015, 7:24pm

Post #5 of 14 (437 views)
Shortcut
Girl Scout songs [In reply to] Can't Post

Bronze Award - oh, I remember the days... We're gearing up for Gold Awards, now. I'm in awe of what these girls accomplish through Scouts.

If your girls like to sing, they could record themselves singing a Girl Scout song like 'On My Honor'. The words work with your theme - it's about making a commitment and keeping it. It also has several verses, so it might give you the length you need.

Enjoy!

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

May 16 2015, 2:55pm

Post #6 of 14 (425 views)
Shortcut
"This Land" is tricky. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's sort of the "Born in the USA" of folk music - a song that many people think of as patriotic but is actually subversive when you listen to the lyrics all the way through. Most kids in the US learn the first two or three verses in grade or intermediate school (or at least did in my day), but Woody Guthrie was a communist sympathizer, and the last few verses are not a celebration of the natural wonders of the country but a withering critique of capitalism. Whether or not one wants to cherry-pick the first three verses is a very personal decision each American can only make for themselves.

America the Beautiful always works for go-to "Natural Wonders of the US" music if you can't find something more specific, albeit it's intended association is with the Pike's Peak region of Colorado, specifically summiting Pike's Peak itself (shameless plug - I've been there and the region is lovely with alot to see and do in addition to summiting the peak by hike, drive, bike or cog rail).

Another thought might be to see if you can dig up some local tribal music. In the case of the Chesapeake, I think that might be the Powhatan tribe.

Annael
Immortal

May 16 2015, 4:21pm

Post #7 of 14 (418 views)
Shortcut
you're right - it was Guthrie's song [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm curious what words you think are "subversive" or reflect "communist sympathies" in these lyrics:

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

the last one kinda echoes the one from "American that Beautiful" that goes

O beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern impassion’d stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!

which, come to think of it, might be objectionable to certain groups.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

(This post was edited by Annael on May 16 2015, 4:25pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 16 2015, 6:35pm

Post #8 of 14 (408 views)
Shortcut
Thank you all! [In reply to] Can't Post

All really interesting choices and very diverse too! I played everything recommended here by Thursday to the troop and they liked them all.

We were actually looking for music to play in the background while we talk and possibly have something at the end with lyrics. Some of our audience can't read yet so they were planning on reading what they wanted everyone to know as a voice-over.

We'll see how things work out. Still looking for instrumentals or vocals that sound like instrumentals. (Found one of those and it sounded really cool!)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

_

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

May 17 2015, 11:57am

Post #9 of 14 (387 views)
Shortcut
I read those lines [In reply to] Can't Post

as basically saying "how dare you own private property in scenic parts of the country and tell me I can't travel over it?". Espcially considering knowledge of Guthrie's politics - no way of getting around the political slant of the second half of the song, and I don't think that's what alot of people who want to utilize it are thinking of for a "scenery of the US" purpose.

Annael
Immortal

May 17 2015, 4:12pm

Post #10 of 14 (371 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and so of course got the communist threat dinned into my ears a lot. Then the Soviet Union fell apart, the Chinese became the most capitalist country in the world . . . one of the reasons I stopped listening to fear-mongering politicians.

(Did you know that Marx himself thought that people were not ready for communism? We're too selfish, he said; it can't be put into practice because people will do it wrong - as they did.)

But you may be right that it's not an appropriate song. Preserving the environment means restricting what people can do to/on certain lands by the government, which that fourth verse could be seen as objecting to as well.

In the depths of the mystery of freedom, we are asked to participate in creating the good by wanting it, needing it, choosing it, imagining it. . . . We must project the good outward onto the other in order to receive it ourselves.

-- Ann Bedford Ulanov

(This post was edited by Annael on May 17 2015, 4:24pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 17 2015, 7:32pm

Post #11 of 14 (354 views)
Shortcut
soundtracks... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea how the youtube crowd gets away with using licensed music (they do, or if that affects your presentation (looks like no) but I have always used this royalty free music (wide variety):

http://incompetech.com/music/

The pieces I used are from Kevin Macleod. https://freemusicarchive.org/music/kevin_macleod/

Also I have to put in a plug for Blue Boat Home, a wonderful song with plenty of sailing imagery:

http://www.thegreatstory.org/songs/blueboat.html

Though below me, I feel no motion
Standing on these mountains and plains
Far away from the rolling ocean
Still my dry land heart can say
I've been sailing all my life now
Never harbor or port have I known
The wide universe is the ocean I travel
And the earth is my blue boat home

Sun, my sail, and moon my rudder
As I ply the starry sea
Leaning over the edge in wonder
Casting questions into the deep
Drifting here with my ship's companions
All we kindred pilgrim souls
Making our way by the lights of the heavens
In our beautiful blue boat home

I give thanks to the waves upholding me
Hail the great winds urging me on
Greet the infinite sea before me
Sing the sky my sailor's song
I was born upon the fathoms
Never harbor or port have I known
The wide universe is the ocean I travel
And the earth is my blue boat home

I paddle the Chesapeake a lot, and this is my theme song.

and my ode to it here (and all my favorite blue boats)...
http://www.swordwhale.com/blue-boat-home.html

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 17 2015, 7:42pm

Post #12 of 14 (353 views)
Shortcut
and points to your scouts!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you aren't aware of it "The Bay Journal" is a great local publication about the issues affecting the Bay.

http://www.bayjournal.com/

And if the scouts have not yet met Schooner Sultana they need to. This doughty little tall ship in Chestertown MD educates the general public, and middle school kids in particular with public sails (interactive, yes, they'll let your kid drive the ship), kayak and canoe trips, and summer camps where your kid gets to live like a pirate for a week (and learn stuff in a way that they'll be talking about for years). She travels around the Bay, but is most often based in the Chester River. Her public sails are cheaper than a trip to the amusement park, and more interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sultana-Education-Foundation/113359782023341

http://sultanaeducation.org/

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 17 2015, 8:52pm

Post #13 of 14 (349 views)
Shortcut
They met the Sultana Crew [In reply to] Can't Post

I brought them to our school and they had all kinds of artifacts. It was really interesting! I've yet to get my troop out to something like that. I was usually voted down by the co-leader or the moms who think it was too "ambitious". I'm closing my troop and taking whoever wants to keep going as Cadettes to another troop that has more "ambitious" people in it. Can't wait to see what we do there!

_

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 17 2015, 9:07pm

Post #14 of 14 (346 views)
Shortcut
sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sultana is building a new education center, and often does those outreach programs. they also take the ship around the bay and take entire classrooms sailing.

If you can, take a group on a public sail!

Or to Downrigging Weekend on Halloween in Chestertown.

Carry on and inspire kids!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.