The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Billy Boyd-The Last Goodbye (Live) at a Barnes and Noble

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

May 14 2015, 1:28am

Post #1 of 11 (989 views)
Shortcut
Billy Boyd-The Last Goodbye (Live) at a Barnes and Noble Can't Post

He has a really good voice, seriously I thought some parts of the song were auto-tuned, and I was wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahnL_kKYTtM

I remember people saying he was bankrupt or something like that, but he has a lot of talent, I think the world is missing out.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on May 14 2015, 1:29am)

Thrain II
Lorien

May 14 2015, 2:00am

Post #2 of 11 (919 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing! This must be one of the best (if not the best) closing songs of the whole saga. Smile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 14 2015, 2:29am

Post #3 of 11 (915 views)
Shortcut
A great song that IMO transcends the film (and trilogy) that it was written for... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I don't mean that as a slight to the Hobbit films themselves, but Billy's song brought back a flood of emotions that I'd seldom felt since the release of the Lord of the Rings films. It's by far my favorite song of the latter trilogy and brings me to tears every time I listen to it.

It was a masterstroke of brilliance to invite Billy to do the final song. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on May 14 2015, 2:30am)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 14 2015, 9:02am

Post #4 of 11 (840 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - it's beautiful. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 14 2015, 9:18am

Post #5 of 11 (842 views)
Shortcut
Some Singers go though Life [In reply to] Can't Post

Feeling Obligated to repeat the Same Song.
One friend of Bomby's
When he was about 21 years old had a HIT..
IT reached the Charts!

Even now {45 years later} he sings it
Everytime he does a Gig...

Bom will now consider this
Billy's "Signature Song"...

AND bom doesn't think?
even... Billy will
GET Tired of it.

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 14 2015, 11:02am

Post #6 of 11 (818 views)
Shortcut
Bless... [In reply to] Can't Post

he has a clear, fresh voice - quite simply, a delight.

Brethil
Half-elven

May 14 2015, 12:22pm

Post #7 of 11 (801 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this [In reply to] Can't Post

That song gets more into my soul every time I listen to it. Its so encompassing of the years of loving these films, and Tolkien. The line about silver streams that run down to the sea - its like a goodbye from Legolas. The closing line is so very Bilbo, and it really reaches right out to me.

Love it live - many songs lose their lustre sung this way. Not this one. Billy shines through.

Billy was the perfect choice to sing, the lyrics are so simple and so beautiful and so fitting. Can't quite express how this song feels. Angelic

(This post was edited by Brethil on May 14 2015, 12:23pm)

priell3
Lorien

May 14 2015, 2:11pm

Post #8 of 11 (765 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing // [In reply to] Can't Post

MikeP

Loresilme
Valinor

May 14 2015, 8:39pm

Post #9 of 11 (711 views)
Shortcut
His voice is like the streams and woodlands he sings about [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard for me to put into words, but his voice has such an effortless freedom to it. The range and vibrato feel so soaring and light and natural, like butterflies in the woodland flowers or water skipping over rocks in streams. lol, I'm sorry if that sounds goofy :-), it's the best I can express :-). It makes even a sad farewell song like this, somehow optimistic at the same time. How hobbity! It reminds me so much of the ending of ROTK:

"At last they rode over the downs and took the East Road, and then Merry and Pippin rode on to Buckland; and already they were singing again as they went."

Thanks for sharing this, Hobbity Hobbit :)!

greenbalrog
Bree

May 14 2015, 9:05pm

Post #10 of 11 (701 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

So much soul while singing. You can see how much he was feeling the music, so free and so effortless. A great way to end this day for me. Thanks for sharing this.

Silmaril
Rohan

May 15 2015, 7:39am

Post #11 of 11 (639 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! Best song! [In reply to] Can't Post

Billy would have deserved an Oscar!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.