I only watch sports when my team is doing well
other
View Results (148 votes)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 20 2015, 5:32am

Post #76 of 91 (1925 views)
Shortcut
Or 'soccer-football', according to The Crowd Goes Wild. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 20 2015, 12:19pm

Post #77 of 91 (1926 views)
Shortcut
Just scanned this list again and started to giggle [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of those funny cultural/language things.

"Hurling" sounds more to me, a person from the US who went to college, like what frat boys do after a spirited and competitive game of beer pong.

Laugh
Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

May 20 2015, 12:41pm

Post #78 of 91 (1920 views)
Shortcut
And the high pressure excitement of Curling too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

May 20 2015, 1:18pm

Post #79 of 91 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Well, Curling is also ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...what Ivy League frat boys do after a spirited and competitive game of chardonnay pong, or cognac pong in the varsity.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

May 21 2015, 6:06pm

Post #80 of 91 (1900 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your kind thoughts, Zarabia! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 22 2015, 2:24am

Post #81 of 91 (1890 views)
Shortcut
ERROR, ERROR,, ERROR.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Soccer just went one % point ahead of Am. Football.

WHAT THE !!! CrazyCrazy

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 22 2015, 3:20am

Post #82 of 91 (1885 views)
Shortcut
We're 300,000,000 [In reply to] Can't Post

among billions. Wink

I prefer American football (NFL, specifically) to soccer but big events like the World Cup can be fun to watch. I can imagine being a fan if I had grown up watching it. (Instead I grew up watching my Steelers every Sunday and my Dad baked pizza to eat in front of the TV. Heart )

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 26 2015, 5:20pm

Post #83 of 91 (1844 views)
Shortcut
I am amused... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that a number of folks also logged in with "I don't like sports".

Frown

I was the loner geek kid who would cheerfully run around all day in the woods, but when forced to play team sports (as happened once at 4-H camp) I would glare, grump and do whatever it took to get out of there and go back to running around in the woods.

Also: multiple horrible experiences both on playground and in gym class involving teasing, bullying and team sports.

Hate them to this day.

Pirate

Now, if you talk about hooking up a team of horses (extreme carriage driving would be a fine spectator sport, and yes, it is a sport)... or sled dogs (I spectate that each year following Yukon Quest and Iditarod online)...or better yet, join my other favorite team sport by booking a sail on a tall ship and hauling on the lines with other guest crew (anybody can do it, no experience or capability necessary, it's an educational two hour tour).

When it comes to small boats though, I like going solo. I have tried to paddle various canoes (a team of two, augh!) with friends... and lo! I am canoe-impaired. My first five minutes in a kayak stuck with me, and turned me into a maniacal paddler... as long as I don't have to share a "divorce boat" (a two seater kayak) with anyone.

Let's not even talk about teams riding horses: I've done the "put someone on behind you while riding bareback" trick... all I can say is Legolas would have been singing soprano as he got continually shoved onto the horse's withers by that armour clad Dwarf bouncing behind him.

I must give kudos to countries who play actual football, vs American football. I think our national "sport" needs some serious revamping, what with all the morons surfacing out of the teams, and the concussions and head injuries. Actual football is far more accessible for kids, schools, and others.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 29 2015, 1:42pm

Post #84 of 91 (1832 views)
Shortcut
I guess this would fall under “track & field”. Persistence! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just remembered a race that my brother was in back in the late ‘50s. He was two years ahead of me in H.S.

It was half-time at an Am. football game and there was a one mile steeplechase on a quarter mile oval track (four times around for the mile). There were two or three high-hurdles (I mean “high”); the last one was in the stretch (as you round the corner towards the finish line), that had a watery mud-pit one would land in if you didn’t make a good jump.

My brother was the worst runner of all time (he had asthma as a sprout) but he wanted “that letter” to put on his sweater.

He was lapped (passed by) by everyone before the half-way mark of the last lap. The crowd laughed!
As the race was “over” (all but my brother had crossed the finish line), and he hadn’t quite reached the last turn in the oval. He was totally spent as his coach attempted to wave him off the track – but no! He was GOING to get that letter! Soon the crowd became silent wondering how in the world this idiot could continue to embarrass himself.
As he came to the last hurdle he of course fell face down in the mud, and got up as quickly as he could. On he struggled the final few yards. The crowd stood on their feet and cheered.
As he fell across the finish line I turned to some unknown person behind me with a tear in my eye and screamed above the cheering:
“That’s my brother out there that just came in last!”

Way to go Bro! Heart And yes, he got his letter. . .

zarabia
Tol Eressea

May 30 2015, 11:11pm

Post #85 of 91 (1812 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always hated playing team sports. FrownTongue I have horrible memories of being yelled at by classmates while playing baseball. I had no idea how to play, but everyone else apparently considered themselves experts. *shudders*

I'm much better with individual sports. If I mess up, I only have myself to answer to. Laugh

zarabia
Tol Eressea

May 30 2015, 11:14pm

Post #86 of 91 (1814 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's a beautiful story, BG! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bless his heart, what an inspiration. Heart Thanks for sharing. Smile

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 31 2015, 1:36am

Post #87 of 91 (1808 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Z. Yes, inspirational... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I failed to describe the race clearly.

When I said he was “lapped” this meant all the contestants had finished the race and my brother still had a full lap (1/4 mile) to go. But it was so long ago I just remember that he was lapped by all the other runners.

So you can imagine how hard his coach tried to get him off the track; and how much time the audience had to witness his determination. First laughing, then an embarrassed silence, then the wild cheering as he approached and crossed the finish line.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2015, 1:59am

Post #88 of 91 (1794 views)
Shortcut
individual sports [In reply to] Can't Post

hiking, kayaking (canoes requite teams and have weird paddles that only work on one sigh, bah!)...

canicross (running or hiking strapped to a couple of dogs... in harness with line to belt, they sort of help pull you along)...

I grew up on horseback and I think it saved my teenage years from total disaster.

Snorkelling, though technically you need buddies.

and of course bicycles

martial arts are practiced by oneself, although you often need a class to learn them, with the right instructor, it's less about competition, and more about competition with yourself

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2015, 12:43pm

Post #89 of 91 (1782 views)
Shortcut
Now that is determination! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how many people who were laughing and then cheering took home that lesson that day and remembered it. I think it is fantastic that he waved off those who tried to get him off the track.

Our school is big on competition and winning and not so big on sports for physical fitness and lifestyle choice. We have some winning teams but it seems to me the effort put in to exclude those who just want to participate isn't really netting us a lion's share of the trophies, it's just discouraging kids from being active.

I wish more schools let everyone run and play on some level if they so desired. My son would gladly run with a club. He just doesn't want to compete against anyone but himself. I saw adults who are runners sign up to be buddies for young kids (1st to 5th grade) in the 5K my daughter ran last month who left those little kids behind because they couldn't keep up with the adult's pace and they didn't want to wreck their time. It was so sad seeing those kids come across the finish line without their so-called buddy. THe race was for the girls in the club, not the adults.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jun 2 2015, 7:08am

Post #90 of 91 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's admirable enough to persevere when your exhausted, but to keep going even when you're being laughed at and discouraged is heroic. I'm glad the crowd finally recognized that and cheered him on. Heart

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jun 8 2015, 4:53pm

Post #91 of 91 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Mixed doubles Curling added to the Olympics in South Korea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we'll see some real drama! Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.