Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Did Gandalf and Boromir know each other before their journey together in 'Fellowship'?

squire
Half-elven

May 13 2015, 3:08am

Post #1 of 5 (1397 views)
Shortcut
Did Gandalf and Boromir know each other before their journey together in 'Fellowship'? Can't Post

In our recent discussions of the Fellowship of the Ring's journey south from Rivendell, it's come up several times that the narrative seems to skip over the idea of previous acquaintances. That is, between the nine weeks or so in Rivendell between the Council and the departure; the two or three weeks of travel to Hollin; and the additional idea that many of the characters would actually have know each other from previous encounters -- much of the dialogue between the characters in the current and previous chapters seems oddly distant and unacquainted. I know that Tolkien is not writing a realistic modern-day novel, but nevertheless the following dialogue arose in my brain, going back to the Council of Elrond and looking forward to the chapter in Book IV where we learn that Faramir studied ancient lore under Gandalf's loving hand:

‘Here,’ said Elrond, turning to Gandalf, ‘is Boromir, a man from the South. He arrived in the grey morning, and seeks for counsel. I have bidden him to be present, for here his questions will be answered.’
Gandalf replied, ‘I know well the son of Denethor, Lord of Gondor.’ He turned to Boromir and said, ‘Where now is that last essay of yours? You said it was titled: “Pride Goeth Before a Fall: The Strange Career of Earnur, Last King of Gondor.” I have looked for it from you for well over twenty years now, my lord; you had promise equal to your brother’s, I once deemed.’
Boromir, proud and yet abashed, said, ‘I told you at the time, Mithrandir, that the script was left abroad at the Royal Kennels. The Master of the Hounds told me it was chewed beyond recovery by Huan, greatest hunter of my father’s chase.’
‘That tale grows thin in the second or third recounting.’ Gandalf’s eyes glowered; Frodo thought he had never seen the wizard scowl so darkly before, as if he were deeply angered by the schoolboy’s pranks.
‘I give you my respect, but I am no longer your Wizard’s pupil!’ exclaimed Boromir. ‘My father ordered me to give the essay no further care, for the hosts of Mordor gathered on our marches. Yet I make no excuses. I will deliver you the paper, when I return – if I return – to Minas Tirith.’ Gandalf shrugged in apparent disbelief, and looked to Elrond to call the Council to order.
Not all that was spoken and debated in the Council need now be told. Much was said of events in the world outside, especially in the South, and in the wide lands east of the Mountains. Of these things Frodo had already heard many rumours; but the tale of Glóin was new to him, and when the dwarf spoke he listened attentively. It appeared that amid the splendour of their works of hand the hearts of the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain were troubled.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Pandallo
Rivendell

May 13 2015, 3:56am

Post #2 of 5 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Reasonable to assume... [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe it's reasonable to assume that since Faramir was tutored by Gandalf that Boromir, who was always close to his brother would have also been acquainted with Gandalf, likely in a distant fashion, but if they passed one another on the street I imagine that there would be some greeting between them.

sador
Half-elven

May 13 2015, 8:54am

Post #3 of 5 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

And regarding your question, well, since it was I who raised the point - my answer is quite obvious.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

May 16 2015, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 5 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Let us be grateful that PJ never had this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Or we might have had twenty minutes of Gandalf and Boromir in the EE of ROTK! Probably playing cards. Smile

(This post was edited by Hamfast Gamgee on May 16 2015, 9:39pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 17 2015, 8:42pm

Post #5 of 5 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Christopher? [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a nice bit of dialogue Squire. The trope is what gave it away of course.

Now to the matter at hand, thank you for the link Sador, without which I would be lost entirely.

I think what's going on is related to what Curious G is saying here. That is maybe it's a bit of rudeness, calling him "A man from the South," as if hearkening to a debate Gandalf and Elrond my have waged in private? (And I'm not saying the "Men are weak" conversation from the movie was in the book! But when it came to his daughter, Elrond did say no less than the King of Gondor and Arnor was good enough for her -- which is to say every other man, including Boromir is chopped liver.)

Or, perhaps on the other hand, he was addressing Gandalf, as one does when someone of high esteem is in a group, but also introducing Boromir to everyone within earshot?

Wait, was this supposed to be discussion?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on May 17 2015, 8:43pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.