Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Interesting article on Tolkien and the Inklings.....

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2015, 7:57am

Post #1 of 9 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Interesting article on Tolkien and the Inklings..... Can't Post

...from the Chronicle of Higher Education - relates to a forthcoming book: http://chronicle.com/...ial-Inklings/229967/

Ettelewen
Rohan

May 11 2015, 5:29pm

Post #2 of 9 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing this. [In reply to] Can't Post

One passage stood out for me especially: "Out of the texts they studied and the tales they read, they forged new ways to convey old themes — sin and salvation, despair and hope, friendship and loss, fate and free will — in a time of war, environmental degradation, and social change." This resonated for me with a quote by Miranda Otto (from the LOTR DVD appendices?) to the effect that, we live in a cynical age and this is NOT a cynical story, in an attempt to explain the films' success.

I think this is why I keep coming back to the story, after innumerable re-readings and re-watchings.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 11 2015, 6:52pm

Post #3 of 9 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Yes, same here [In reply to] Can't Post

It's that refusal to give up hope even at the worst of times - 'fighting the long defeat' - that always draws me back to Tolkien. I've never cared much for cynicism.

I was fascinated by the way the article sees the writing of Tolkien and friends as an alternative to the more familiar literature that grew out of the First World War

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 11 2015, 8:47pm

Post #4 of 9 (1150 views)
Shortcut
So much food for thought here [In reply to] Can't Post

And so nice to see a positive spin on it all.

Thanks so much for posting this!Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 12 2015, 1:36pm

Post #5 of 9 (1113 views)
Shortcut
WOWie,dmouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

WAyCOOL that we get to read it
before the Bigger piece gets published...

References to Authors that Bomby had NOT read yet...
could keep "ol'COOT"... busy for months.

The other INKLINGzzz..are no where as Popular but
you have uncovered a WEALTH of days of searcing them
out in USED bookstores...

{SUPPORT Small business, BUY in MUSTY old BookStores}

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

May 12 2015, 6:08pm

Post #6 of 9 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this, dormouse! // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 14 2015, 10:12am

Post #7 of 9 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Very cool :) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is very refreshing! THANKS!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

elentari3018
Rohan

May 16 2015, 3:53am

Post #8 of 9 (968 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't have said it better than you did about why we always return [In reply to] Can't Post

to Middle-earth time and time again. :)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

elentari3018
Rohan

May 16 2015, 3:56am

Post #9 of 9 (966 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

and i like this part most of the article:

Far more important, though, The Lord of the Rings and the vast mythology that surrounds and pervades it possess an intrinsic grandeur, breadth, and profound originality — it is simply the case that nothing like this has ever been done before — that make them, we believe, landmarks in the history of English literature.

Hear, hear! :D

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.