The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Mother's Day! A Mathom Fest.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 5:15pm

Post #1 of 8 (533 views)
Shortcut
Happy Mother's Day! A Mathom Fest. Can't Post

I was hoping that we all could post Mom Memories, Tolkien related or otherwise today, to celebrate.

I have to run off to dinner now, but when I return, I shall post my own set.

Happy day to all!!!SmileSmileSmile

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 6:33pm

Post #2 of 8 (507 views)
Shortcut
My mom is my partner in crime in all things Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

I beat her to The Hobbit, but she read LOTR first. We saw DOS and BOFA in theatre together, did a LOTR marathon the summer before last and just finished our first three-day viewing of The Hobbit. Heck, if her English were better, she'd probably be on TORn too. Laugh

Happy Mother's Day! Smile

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

May 10 2015, 7:57pm

Post #3 of 8 (496 views)
Shortcut
Happy Mother's Day, Ethel!! And to all my fellow TORn-moms and grandmoms! Hope it's a happy one!! [In reply to] Can't Post

My mathom is simple: I have my mom to thank for my intro to Tolkien and reading in general. Before she retired, she was a children's librarian so I grew up surrounded by books. She started reading to my brother and I when we were very young and The Hobbit was, of course, one I remember her reading with great fondness. So perhaps if it weren't for her, I might not be writing this right now having not been exposed to Tolkien at such a tender and impressionable age. Heart, Mom! Smile

Hernevernen!!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 8:53pm

Post #4 of 8 (492 views)
Shortcut
MIne is as a mom: [In reply to] Can't Post

As he was growing up, my son wasn't much interested in reading books on his own, although he did read well skill-wise, and did enjoy having us read to him. He finally got into some of the Star Wars Books for kids around age 11, but nothing much else. But when he was about 14, he and I went to see FOTR, and it just opened the door to books for him. He read the entire trilogy twice by the time he was 15 or 16, wrote a long involved (and very good) parody in collaboration with some friends, based on the books, went on the read the entire Dune series and has now embarked on the Game of Thrones.

Plus, he just gave me a Gollum card for my birthday today.CoolCoolCoolCoolCool He's the only family member I can easily speak "Geek" to. Makes a mom proud.Heart

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 10:00pm

Post #5 of 8 (480 views)
Shortcut
My Tolkien-y Mother memories [In reply to] Can't Post

Before the birth of my 5th child, I took my oldest daughters on an eight road trip to see Trilogy Tuesday. I was 40 years old and had found out 4 months previous on my birthday that I was pregnant again. Given the way the last pregnancy had gone, I knew that I may be down for the count once the baby was born for a good while. With no family in the area, it would be hubby and my girls picking up the slack as they did after their last baby brother was born. I wanted them to have one really fun trip with me.

So off we went, 8 hour drive to a hotel, overnight to rest, in line early the next morning with our tickets so I could get a seat on the aisle (important to a pregnant woman who will be watching 11 hours worth of movie), trivia contests, general silliness with fellow Tolkien fans while we waited for the movies to start. We had a blast! I got them t-shirts and we all got the film cells collectible. When we got home and they told their friends where they had been, I was deemed the coolest mom ever. The mothers thought I was crazy and told me so (but it wasn't the first time I'd been called that so...eh). When the baby was born a couple months later it was another girl so I can confidently say that I was there with all my girls! Smile

The experience made a deep impression on both my older girls. One now sports a wrist tattoo that is a Tolkien quote (Not all who wander are lost) written in Elvish and the other watches the movies still with me. They are set to move in together next month and start a new leg of their wandering journey, off on their own adventure!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 10:54pm

Post #6 of 8 (477 views)
Shortcut
The filling in the sandwich [In reply to] Can't Post

I took my mother and my nephew' s girlfriend to the first Oscar party.

My granddaughter and niece on a cross country trip from California to Carson City then to Denver then Albuquerque to meet people from the Netscape messages boards. Later the granddaughter went to moots in North Carolina and Denver and Tahoe with those same people who formed the writing group at burpingtroll.com for over ten years

My mother went with me to the Two towers party and to Fantasy Con in Salt Lake City just last year

My granddaughter went with me to two Bilbo Baggins parties in Griffith Park also

My daughter went to the unexpected party for the first hobbit movie. My granddaughter went to desolation of smaug dinner and Oscar viewing. And both my daughter and granddaughter went to the one last party.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Ciars
Rohan

May 11 2015, 6:31pm

Post #7 of 8 (453 views)
Shortcut
Latecomers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our Mother's Day was on March 15th, probably so you lot could steal our original ideas Wink !, But, any day is a good day to salute and praise the good work, patience and dedication of mums everywhere, for their determination to never give up, to accept all and to encourage, is indeed worthy of recognition and praise! *raises a glass* to all mums, past, present and future for your unconditional acceptance and love.

(This post was edited by Ciars on May 11 2015, 6:32pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 11 2015, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 8 (434 views)
Shortcut
One day late, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well sadly my Mother passed away in 2004. I don't think she was much of a Tolkien fan, she was more into Star Wars. My mother was probably one of the strongest people I ever knew. She was abandoned by my biological dad in 1963, left with 4 kids to raise at a time when it really was difficult for women to find work. But work she did, and managed to buy a house for us to live in before she re-married. She was also a math brain. Have you seen the movie "The Imitation Game?" Well my Mother was like Joan Clark in many ways. After re-marrying she was able to go to college and get a degree in accounting, although she could have been a computer programmer as well. She once took a 5-hour combined college Algebra/Trig course at 7:30 am with a Chinese professor that she swore she couldn't understand, and of course she got an 'A'. In one of her accounting classes the professor insisted that no one ever made a 100% on his tests. Well Mom was the first to do so. After that he made the tests harder, but she kept making 100%, until finally he had to throw her grade out and give everone else a curve. After that, students would change classes if they found out my Mom was in their class. She graduated in 1972 as Summa Cum Laude with a 3.98 GPA - the only B in four years was in an English class. She also passed the CPA exam on the first try, which only about 5% of first-time testers do.

Sadly I didn't get my Mother's math brain. I got a 'C' in college algebra and couldn't make it through Intermediate Accounting. My younger daughter, however, seems to have that math brain. She's currently a Chemical Engineering major and just finished her Freshman year. She must have gotten those smarts from my Mom (sure didn't get them from ME!). I tell her she can do anything she wants, but I also tell her about her grandmother. My older daughter has named her baby Ann after my Mother, with hopes that she, too, will be a math brain. I wish my Mom could have met her.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.