Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SO what are the chances of more Middle Earth movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jeffrodo
Bree

May 6 2015, 4:50pm

Post #1 of 27 (1373 views)
Shortcut
SO what are the chances of more Middle Earth movies? Can't Post

This question has come up a few times. What do you think are the chances for more ME films? With or without Peter Jackson.

I know, I know...BOFA was billed as "One Last Time" and Warners doesn't have the rights to Silmarrillion.

My point is...with the imminent huge success of new Star Wars (without George Lucas directly involved), can there be new Middle Earth films that are essentially "fanfic"?

A new trilogy set between The Hobbit and LOTR maybe?

Personally, I'd love to see it. But I'm sure others would cringe.

Have at it! :)

Konrad S
Lorien

May 6 2015, 6:00pm

Post #2 of 27 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Uhmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read that there will not be a new middle earth movie on a while i think tolkien estate own TH and LOTR but Christofer tolkien own the other books and he say that PJ have destory TH and LOTR doing them to action films. https://youtu.be/Y6Y6cBSjEaA

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 6 2015, 7:31pm

Post #3 of 27 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Warners does not seem enthused. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you state, Warner Bros. does not seem enthusiastic over the possibility of a spin-off movie or series of movies. Peter Jackson wants to move on to more personal projects.

Hypothetically, a studio with the existing filmrights could proceed with a side-story derived from The Hobbit and/or The Lord of the Rings as long as it does not infringe on material original to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. My favorite example would be a movie (or movies) about young Aragorn covering the events of his birth and fostering in Rivendell, through his period of great journeys and errantries, and probably ending In Lothlorien when he is reunited with Arwen and they plight their troth. Others have suggested a film about Balin's attempt to reclaim Moria. However, the studio would have to have a great deal of confidence in the viability and marketability of the project.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Fimbulfambi
The Shire

May 6 2015, 8:08pm

Post #4 of 27 (1290 views)
Shortcut
I'm not enthusiastic [In reply to] Can't Post

...about having more films at the moment. I think it would be great to have a new go in a few decades though.

I'd like there to be more small fan-films though that investigate shorter storylines. Born of Hope and Hunt for Gollum was very enjoyable and they adapted the style from Peter Jackson's adaptoins quite well. :)

AshNazg
Gondor

May 6 2015, 9:38pm

Post #5 of 27 (1284 views)
Shortcut
I think there's still a chance... [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a few hints that another movie was being considered. A bridge movie covering some of the events between TH and LotR. It's understandable that WB would wait until after the EE to announce something like this, so it's not impossible at all.

I personally am not interested in such a film though. I'd love to see Middle-earth make its way to another medium. If they start a Hobbit TV series, I'd be very excited.

(This post was edited by Hengist on May 6 2015, 10:01pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 6 2015, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 27 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Reboot [In reply to] Can't Post

Baggins Begins

Gollum: Shadow Recruit

The Amazing Dunedan

Moria: Into Darkness

Mad Baggins: The Fury Road Goes On and On

WiKi vs. Jason

(You know you'd go... but does Hollywood?)

Living Will Addendum:

To Whom It May Concern:

If I'm ever on life support, please unplug me.

Then plug me back in.

(Hey, works for computers!)

AshNazg
Gondor

May 6 2015, 10:08pm

Post #7 of 27 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they should start a spin-off [In reply to] Can't Post

Where Bilbo joins the Avengers.

RosieLass
Valinor

May 6 2015, 10:44pm

Post #8 of 27 (1265 views)
Shortcut
None, I hope. [In reply to] Can't Post

They've done all the available material that Tolkien himself wrote. And I have no interest in anything anyone else wrote.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Nomad
Forum Admin

May 6 2015, 10:54pm

Post #9 of 27 (1265 views)
Shortcut
I'd cast my vote for a ridiculously long miniseries [In reply to] Can't Post

Low budget compared to the films but extremely faithful to the dialog and Tolkien's original vision for each character's... character. Since it will never happen I might as well be explicit in my wish.

I'm thinking maybe 12 hours for each of the three volumes... Bombadil and the Barrow Downs included of course.

(This post was edited by Nomad on May 6 2015, 10:56pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

May 7 2015, 1:11am

Post #10 of 27 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Just like the BBC Radio series. It could be stunning... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam's line "Well, I'm home" after sitting through years of TV episodes would have so much emotional impact to it!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 7 2015, 1:42pm

Post #11 of 27 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe they should start a spin-off Where Bilbo joins the Avengers.

Bilbo (Martin Freeman) has been cast in Captain America: Civil War! Evil

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 12:18am

Post #12 of 27 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Not exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rights to LotR and TH are owned by Middle-earth Enterprises (formerly known as "Tolkien Enterprises"), which is a division of the Saul Zaentz Company. JRRT sold the rights in 1969 to Zaentz, who subsequently has licensed other companies such as Bakshi and recently, New Line/Warner Bros.

All other rights are owned by the The Tolkien Estate, which is controlled (though not owned) by Christopher Tolkien.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on May 8 2015, 12:18am)

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

May 9 2015, 10:03pm

Post #13 of 27 (1114 views)
Shortcut
ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

After seeing Peter Jackson's Hobbit, I am very glad they do not have the rights to The Silmarillion.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 10 2015, 10:46am

Post #14 of 27 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Never say Never [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter hinted at that himself, and I know the LotR appendices are packed with stories. BUT I would be heartsick if cheap, poorly-made movies were made by opportunists hoping to piggy-back on Jackson's successes.

If the films were made by those who worked on these films and do them following the visuals/sounds/music we now associate with Middle-earth, I'm all for it. If Jackson didn't want to do it himself, I've always had this hope of Katie or Billy Jackson learning the trade from their experiences could step up (with Dad's input), or Andy Serkis is very qualified to direct and knows of how to do these films.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Jeffrodo
Bree

May 10 2015, 12:40pm

Post #15 of 27 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Where have we seen that Warner Bros isn't enthused? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did someone from the studio issue a press release stating they weren't enthused about Middle Earth films continuing? I don't think we've seen anything of the sort. On the contrary, The Hobbit films have been huge money makers, gigantic tent pole films. It's only natural that the studios would want to continue with more.

It's only a matter of time before something new is announced. Especially once Star Wars 7 breaks box office records.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 1:25pm

Post #16 of 27 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Extrapolation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did someone from the studio issue a press release stating they weren't enthused about Middle Earth films continuing? I don't think we've seen anything of the sort. On the contrary, The Hobbit films have been huge money makers, gigantic tent pole films. It's only natural that the studios would want to continue with more.

First, I have to apologize because I was keying off of what Konrad had stated there, not your post. However, my reply was based on the announcement from Warner Bros. that no further follow-ups to the Hobbit and LotR films were being considered at this time. Admittedly, that does not have to mean much in the long run and Warner Bros.' option will expire at some point if the studio does not move forward. That would give another studio the chance to bid for the screenrights.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 10 2015, 1:26pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

May 10 2015, 2:40pm

Post #17 of 27 (1070 views)
Shortcut
I've said it many times... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I'll say it again :) I would absolutely love to see a movie covering the events happening in the north (Dale, Lake Town, Mirkwood, Dol Guldur) during the war of the ring. There are some fantastic stories about those areas in the appendices.
Also, one could think of a official 'Hunt for Gollem'-movie and (a) movie(s) covering the rise and fall of Angmar.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 2:46pm

Post #18 of 27 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...but I'll say it again :) I would absolutely love to see a movie covering the events happening in the north (Dale, Lake Town, Mirkwood, Dol Guldur) during the war of the ring. There are some fantastic stories about those areas in the appendices.
Also, one could think of a official 'Hunt for Gollem'-movie and (a) movie(s) covering the rise and fall of Angmar.

I'm not sure how many of those ideas would be commercially viable. I do think that the hunt for Gollum could be worked into the larger story of the early days of Aragorn. What I am not sure of is how much of Tolkien's hunt for Gollum would remain intact in Jackson's film-verse. We know that Gandalf managed to locate and question Gollum, but the circumstances might have been very different.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 10 2015, 2:46pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

May 10 2015, 2:53pm

Post #19 of 27 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the first mentioned possible movie a lot of familiair characters could/would play a part;
Radagast, Beorn, Bain, Bard, Dain, Dwalin, Bifur, Thranduil, Tauriel, Thorin (due to Orcrist glowing on his tomb), The Mouth, maybe the Dunedain, etc. Especially Beorn, Radagast, Thranduil, Bard and Tauriel should help with the commercial viability. Maybe a Easterling or Black Numenorean warlord could be the main antagonist.

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on May 10 2015, 2:54pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 3:11pm

Post #20 of 27 (1055 views)
Shortcut
The War in the North [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what part Beorn would play in the War of the North (considering that he is probably dead by that time). The Beornings, by way of being on the wrong side of Mirkwood, seem to have been left out of it by Tolkien. Beorn's son, Grimbeorn the Old, could probably be worked into the story somehow. Bard (and possibly even his son Bain) should also be dead.

Easterlings do seem to have been the main threat to Rhovanion during the War of the Ring. The force assaulting Thranduil's realm might have been a mixture of Easterlings, Warg-riding Orcs and evil Woodmen who had pledged service to Sauron; however, I am mostly guessing. Spiders might be included. I have no idea of the composition of the army from Dol Guldur that attacked Lothlorien. It might be similar to the forces threatening Thranduil.

Rangers? Why not? Its not like we saw any accompanying Aragorn through the Paths of the Dead.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 10 2015, 3:16pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

May 10 2015, 3:19pm

Post #21 of 27 (1048 views)
Shortcut
I disagree... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Beorn is a strange creature, he could well be alive at that time, or just the Beornings.
In the movie-verse both Bain and Bard could well be alive. Bard is probably in his mid-30's in the movie, so he could be alive 60 years later, although he would be very old. Bain would be 76 or something. You could leave Bard out and have Bain as king, who then dies and Brand is crowned the new king. To fall not much later fighting side by side with Dain.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 3:26pm

Post #22 of 27 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

This my comments are based on Tolkien's canon. Does anyone really want to see a 90+ year-old Bard tottering off to war? Let's see Brand, his grandson, heroically teamed up with the son of Dain. Or Bain could die in battle instead, leaving Brand to replace him.

Tolkien never said when Beorn died, but he did emphasis that the character was a mortal Man. I guess that he could have just assumed bear-form and wandered into the wilderness to leave his son Grimbeorn to lead his followers.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

May 10 2015, 3:31pm

Post #23 of 27 (1042 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Bard would not be fighting, but would be more of a tactician/politician.
Why would you want to have Dain's son? Dain himself fought (and died) in the War of the Ring!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 3:40pm

Post #24 of 27 (1040 views)
Shortcut
So he did! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I get for not checking my sources. Dain's son Thorin III does succeed him, though, and should have a place in the story.

I'm still not sure about The War in the North as a theatrical film. I do think that Warner Bros. missed an opportunity by not producing an animated, direct-to-video feature that could have used as a marketing tool for the War in the North video game. For that matter, I am a little bit surprised that we didn't see an animated prequel for Shadow of Mordor.

Bofur01
Lorien

May 10 2015, 6:32pm

Post #25 of 27 (1033 views)
Shortcut
If they could get Ken Stott, WETA and Howard Shore back... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Then I'd be totally for a Moria film Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.