Post #1 of 16 (1827 views)
Shortcut
ABOUT the Ravenhill Fights..? Can't Post

bom would like to remind you that the Advancement of
Generating Effects, should include the "RAVENHILL Snow STORM"

We concentrate on the Actors, often forgetting to LOOK
in the Background?

Helm's DEEP was shot for about a Month, often FREEZING
COLD RAIN...It drained Viggo, & the hundred or so EXTRAS.

PUT yourself on Ravenhill...NOT until NOW could we witness
something SSOoo. Brutal.

The FIGHT choreography... is Extra wonderful,
SURPASSING anything seen before..

...the Actors had it EASY
compared to the Production of
LOTR.

AGAIN
THANG you BERRY BUCH,
PJ & Andrew.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Avandel
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 10:30pm

Post #2 of 16 (1733 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Actors had it EASY
compared to the Production of
LOTR.

Don't know enough about LOTR shooting, tho sure it was difficult. But IMO it is to stare into the abyssCool to compare degrees of hardship, without really knowing the particulars.Unsure

But yah know, there's Richard Armitage talking about being utterly spent at the end of the Ravenhill fight, the weeks of training ("I thought I was ready") and Philippa telling PJ that Richard was all done in after - and then there were the stuntmen and doubles and evidently the HOT studio lights and the "rolling reshoots" and the long days during the pickups....

Just sayin', I'm not sure any of those involved re Ravenhill wouldn't have preferred to be out in the freezing rain. I mean I can't get RA's comments out of my head, like being so hot re the goblin scene he was throwing up after, and telling Graham McTavish "We're the only ones who will ever know what it was like..."

That's something someone says when an experience has been very, very tough and most folks don't really understand.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 9 2015, 8:33am

Post #3 of 16 (1615 views)
Shortcut
EXCELLENT Points! [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is amazing that what we SEE on Screen
IS NOT what the Actors are actually feeling...

Maybe that why they HIRED so many STRONG ACTORS.

It's Brutal to Bring Beauty to us.

Some times you look & SEE something
you'll NEVER Forget...
like these Movies?
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

CathrineB
Rohan

May 9 2015, 9:00am

Post #4 of 16 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Aye [In reply to] Can't Post

Got to agree with Avandel here.
While LotR was undoubtedly though to film too The Hobbit had had without doubt if not because of the elements (or created elements = rain) it'd be because of them pushing the actors to their limits.
Remember how PJ wanted to do another shot in Mirkwood I believe and Aidan walked off set/off screen?
It wasn't because he was pissed or anything, but he just didn't have more to give.

So in one way or another I think it was no walk in the park filming either trilogies.

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 9 2015, 12:08pm

Post #5 of 16 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Bom's main reason for bringing this up is the Three Settings... [In reply to] Can't Post

A Winter Battle would have likely TOO difficult
if it weren't for their Mo-Cap stage.

The Final ShowDown on the Floating ice was MOST Excellent!

Seemed so real @least to Bomby, who has spent much time
@ the Ski resorts in our Rocky Mountains.

The Light is different, & the Swirling Clouds around the
Top of Ravenhill added to the SPOOKY look of Fili's death
in particular...

It was hard NOT to feel the Cold.

PJ needed to give us something quite different than what
he has shown before, & this really was Quite different.

Somewhere someone said he was gunna
explore all parts of the Battle & this time we got THREE AREAS.

1. Bard in a Burned-out City. {So we got Trolls storming the Fortifications}

2. The main Plain in front of the Front Gate. {Really interesting
Troop movements}

3. Ravenhill , which looked like a crumbling Ruined Castle
all being intercut...
The Sheer drops over the edge of the Waterfall added much
to the Danger.

IT will most interesting to see what the EE Reveals...

www.charlie-art.biz

Avandel
Half-elven

May 9 2015, 5:58pm

Post #6 of 16 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Great point! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe that why they HIRED so many STRONG ACTORS.

It's Brutal to Bring Beauty to us.

Some times you look & SEE something
you'll NEVER Forget...
like these Movies?

DEFINITELY. I remember with AUJ trying to count the layers of Thorin's costume, as I love that PR shot of him in the grasslands with Orcrist. I think I counted 5 layers of stuff on Richard - which gave him the "chunky dwarf physique" but OMG it would be like wearing 5 winter coats at once.

Too true about the stunning beauty of both actors and setsHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart - I often pause just to STARE at both. Love what you write about the light and cold and snow of high places - hard to breathe too with the dry air?Unsure

And I'll just mention all the CGI folks probably getting carpal tunnel and strained eyes from HOURS of high-pressure work *sob*!

Avandel
Half-elven

May 9 2015, 6:04pm

Post #7 of 16 (1498 views)
Shortcut
Aidan! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that - too gone to do anything but shake his headFrownFrownFrown. And Richard and Graham doing re-shoots until their legs gave out.Unsure

LOL the "elves" comment from Richard....Cool

And Adam Brown trying to get out of the river and then Bombur got stuck.....

And Richard talking about how bad the smell was when the costumes were stripped off....
mmmmmm - like rotting cheese.....Evil

Ilmatar
Rohan

May 9 2015, 6:36pm

Post #8 of 16 (1491 views)
Shortcut
exhausting [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember seeing a behind-the-scenes somewhere where RA was doing his epic rage run at Azog in "Into the Fire" scene, and he had to run it again and again... and again... and again... While in full costume of course, and the flames around were real, actual fire.

Must have been quite an experience, to repeatedly run (!) surrounded by flames (!) wearing several layers of clothes and even fur (!) while holding a sword and a shield (!). Shocked

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 1:44am

Post #9 of 16 (1441 views)
Shortcut
Bom is Thinking that they LEAVE Ravenhill alone.. [In reply to] Can't Post

in the EE, except for some explanation
OF why Dwalin couldn't come to THORIN's RESCUE?

His
Mystery really is
MISSED.

ANY IDEAS, or Speculation from you all
where he went?

There is a Really "BIG Gap in Logic".. there.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

May 10 2015, 4:41pm

Post #10 of 16 (1370 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

At the risk of this turning into another "why did everyone forget about Fili after he was killed" thread, it's possible that that's where Dwalin was. (Lots of people have posted about this before me as well). So maybe he couldn't get to Thorin, and went back to Fili's body? Personally, I just want someone (preferably a dwarf, or I guess Bilbo would be okay) to got back for him after the battle, and Dwalin would make sense as he's there and saw it happen.

Either that or we're missing an epic Dwalin fight scene. Honestly, I'd love to see either of these.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 11 2015, 2:13pm

Post #11 of 16 (1275 views)
Shortcut
where was Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's more likely that Dwalin went after Kili, which is where Thorin was headed. Tauriel said "They want to bury him," which means she talked to SOMEONE!

I have a scenario in my head (which is probably wrong) of Dwalin being knocked down and surrounded by Orcs & Goblins, just about to be done in, and suddenly Balin shows up with the other Dwarves. A terrific fight ensues, with Bifur getting to head-butt someone with his headaxe, and the thing comes out! The Dwalin tearfully tells them that Fili is dead, so they split up, half going after Kili & the other half after Thorin. And then we can neatly wrap up to that scene where they are all kneeling around Thorin's bodyUnsure

I just keep telling myself it didn't really happen, it's only a movie, they all got away....

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

CathrineB
Rohan

May 11 2015, 2:30pm

Post #12 of 16 (1270 views)
Shortcut
But something doesn't add up... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin ran after Thorin, but only Dwalin returned to protect Bilbo and then he vanishes. By that point Thorin is fighting Azog right?

Fili and Kili crosses the ice to where the tower is meaning Dwalin has to cross it too. But how did Dwalin get over there without coming across Thorin and Azog? I mean come on they were being very loud! I can't see how Dwalin is running around and not coming across Thorin and he certainly wouldn't leave him fighting on his own? Ravenhill doesn't look that big?

Laugh

Eruonen
Half-elven

May 11 2015, 3:36pm

Post #13 of 16 (1258 views)
Shortcut
I suppose we can only surmise Dwalin is busy fignting a horde of orcs single [In reply to] Can't Post

handedly....maybe guarding an approach up to Ravenill like a beserker.

Eruonen
Half-elven

May 11 2015, 6:35pm

Post #14 of 16 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin the berserker holding off orcs coming up the hill [In reply to] Can't Post

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/...-_Dwalin's_Armor.jpg

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

May 12 2015, 11:51am

Post #15 of 16 (1188 views)
Shortcut
I agree, [In reply to] Can't Post

Whats' needed in an action film, is a movie that doesn't have something people have done before and that's what Ravenhill did. People were complaining about CGI in the Ravenhill Sequence, I didn't really see what there was to complain about, almost everything looked real and it made it look like a place where you wouldn't want to be. I don't think there is a Frozen Lake or Random Dwarf Ruins in NZ, but they did build part of Ravenhill.

I also saw how much work they put into the CGI in Smaug's Attack and the Battle. If you looked behind the characters there was always something moving, and other characters fighting. I really liked when the camera was high up, so we could see Azog and all the armies. I really liked how you could hear the shooting arrows, and those things. I also think that the citizens screaming in Laketown was really good, and I thought that people should of used those things to make some things more scary. I felt the human lives through the screaming, and what I like about PJ is that he also remembers the citizens. I think what makes the best movies is that we see humans, in their time and something happening to them, we understand them. Of course we understand the characters better, but it makes the human cost seem more, well I don't know.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

Avandel
Half-elven

May 12 2015, 3:27pm

Post #16 of 16 (1169 views)
Shortcut
*grins* come back the the River [In reply to] Can't Post

I just keep telling myself it didn't really happen, it's only a movie, they all got away..

Of course they did. It's just APPALLING that such horrible B-roll footage was ever released to the public, causing so much TRAUMA.Mad

The Durins were not unscathed, of course, in the REAL version. Kili was the least wounded, but all of the Durins - even with the sturdy dwarf physiques - had many days of recovery. I tell yah, cynical as I may be, seeing the friendship blossom between Bard, Thorin, and Dwalin, and the footage of Bard joking with the dwarves as they sit in Dale drinking and watching busy dwarf stonemasons help rebuild the city just makes me feel good.LaughWink

And the stunning scene of Thranduil receiving his white gems back from Thorin and the kind nuances that pass between Thorin and Thranduil just shows what skilled actors can do, without saying a word. When Balin presents Thranduil with the baby white elk - and Thorin's little smile and the way the fawn nuzzles Thranduil - I just lose it, every time.LaughWinkAngelic

Of course when Bilbo promises Thorin to write a lot, and Thorin promises to visit the Shire and the hug and Thorin smiles at Bilbo and calls him "my friend" - *sob* - I just can't understand how a TE with such a ghastly mix-up could have happened. Thank the Valar that a rebellious janitor took the REAL footage and released it online.WinkCoolWinkEvil

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.