Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did Azog and Bolg switch roles just to give Legolas something to do?

AshNazg
Gondor

May 8 2015, 6:36pm

Post #1 of 18 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Did Azog and Bolg switch roles just to give Legolas something to do? Can't Post

In DoS, Azog is called to Dol Guldur and Bolg takes over his place - tracking down the dwarves to Laketown.

As we know from the trailer, originally Azog was going to track them all the way to Thranduil's realm (and was possibly going to go to Gundabad to lead the second army?) instead of Bolg. Many were confused why this happened; and how considering the great distance between Dol Guldur and Beorn's house which is covered in a single night.

I'm not sure if I'm just being slow by not noticing this before, but it's occurred to me that the only reason this swap happens is because they wanted Legolas to have a bigger role. By swapping Azog for Bolg, Bolg goes to Laketown and fights Legolas, starting a rivalry that otherwise would not have happened.

I think the original plan was for Bolg to stay in Dol Guldur, torture Beorn (who escapes), lead the army to Erebor and get killed by Beorn. But because Legolas got a bigger role, we actually get less Beorn!

I wonder, was this a decision from WB to have more Legolas to appeal to the Leggy fans? Did Bloom beg PJ for a bigger role? Or did PJ genuinely think that getting rid of Beorn in favour of Legolas was a better story?

Dcole4
Rohan

May 8 2015, 6:38pm

Post #2 of 18 (1773 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

This is probably exactly what happens, which is a huge shame. A Beorn vs. Bolg angle is far more interesting and faithful to the story than the silly overplayed Legolas thread we got. As you said, it also over complicates the plot and doesn't add much. A real shame.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 8 2015, 7:13pm

Post #3 of 18 (1751 views)
Shortcut
I suspect it was PJ's decision [In reply to] Can't Post

Partly because they decided they HAD to have 2 leaders of the Orc armies (eh, maybe), but mostly because of Alfrid. Originally Ryan Gage was to play a Hobbit, but apparently PJ like him so well that he created Alfrid, which for the most part just took over the Master's role once the survivors got to Dale. And in order to do that, we got less of the Master/Stephen Fry. Plus Alfrid's part was way bigger than it needed to be anyway. I guess when you've got X amount of story and X amount of screentime, some characters get shortchanged a bit (*cough* Dwarves *cough*).

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Smaug the iron
Gondor

May 8 2015, 7:19pm

Post #4 of 18 (1746 views)
Shortcut
I donīt understand [In reply to] Can't Post

What has Alfrid to do with Legolas vs Bolg.

Thrain II
Lorien

May 8 2015, 7:59pm

Post #5 of 18 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the original plan was for Bolg to stay in Dol Guldur, torture Beorn (who escapes), lead the army to Erebor and get killed by Beorn. But because Legolas got a bigger role, we actually get less Beorn!

Indeed, this seems to be the original plan, considering Bolg has bear paws on his shoulders, that he was called torturer of Dol Guldur, and that we know about that torture scene involving Beorn. And it's a real shame they didn't go that route. Frown

It was not a studio decision as I remember, PJ stated in some interview that they needed to have some big rival for Legolas in the movies. Mad

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 9:16pm

Post #6 of 18 (1691 views)
Shortcut
I'm probably forgetting something [In reply to] Can't Post

But where do we get the "single night" of travel from?

To the rest, my own experience is that you tend to get better (or at least I assume better as more obvious) explanations by thinking about narrative elements than placing primacy on character scree time.

AshNazg
Gondor

May 8 2015, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 18 (1675 views)
Shortcut
A single night of travel... [In reply to] Can't Post

All of this happens in one night...

Scene 1 - The dwarves arrive at Beorn's house

Scene 2 - Azog is outside watching. He is called to Dol Guldur by Bolg

Scene 3 - Bilbo is stroking the Ring while everyone sleeps

Scene 4 - Azog somehow arrives at Dol Guldur and talks to the Necromancer

Scene 5 - Beorn turns back into a man

Scene 6 - Bilbo wakes up in the morning

All of this apparently happens in one night, unless there's a strange flash forward to Dol Guldur (which would be weird and confusing) or the dwarves stay at Beorn's for several days - and Beorn stays a bear for several days. (unlikely)

I'm not sure what you're saying with your second point. I said I didn't notice this until recently, so while watching the film I wasn't thinking about character screen-time at all. All I knew was that something seemed wrong. The swapping of Bolg and Azog is a very confusing part of the plot, however you look at it, and only now when I think about why it happened am I disappointed by the resulting changes in character screen-time.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on May 8 2015, 9:38pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 9:47pm

Post #8 of 18 (1664 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I would take it in that light /night myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think, just as with Radagast's travel to Eriador, the goal of sequence isn't to convey instantaneous travel. This isn't a concern for the film at these points and I think if viewers such as ourselves wish to consider travel times we shouldn't take that sequence of events as literal.

On the second point, I meant that comparing the screentimr merits of different characters (e.g. Does Legolas "deserve" more screentime than Beorn) seems to me, not to be a good match to how the filmmakers seem to approach such areas.

Instead, I think, if you consider the narrative functions of the use of screentime, it seems to me more fruitful and a better explanation.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 9 2015, 1:49am

Post #9 of 18 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Well nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What has Alfrid to do with Legolas vs Bolg.

It was a comparison. As Alfrid's part grew, the Master's part got smaller. Likewise, as Legolas' role grew, Beorn's got smaller.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 9 2015, 12:24pm

Post #10 of 18 (1501 views)
Shortcut
A Single Night? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As we know from the trailer, originally Azog was going to track them all the way to Thranduil's realm (and was possibly going to go to Gundabad to lead the second army?) instead of Bolg. Many were confused why this happened; and how considering the great distance between Dol Guldur and Beorn's house which is covered in a single night.

I'm not sure that we can definitely conclude that Azog traveled between Beorn's home and Dol Guldur in a single night. You are right that it should not be possible for anyone without wings; the distance between those two points is around 250 miles (probably closer to 270 miles). This might indeed represent some sort of flash-forward.

Now Gandalf apparently pulled off a real trick. to get from the Elf Gate to the High Fells (using my best guess for its location) and then to Dol Guldur, Gandalf probably had to travel a total of as much as 600 miles. Do we have a fair estimate for how long it took him to accomplish that feat?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 9 2015, 12:37pm)

LordGawain
Rivendell

May 9 2015, 12:30pm

Post #11 of 18 (1496 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

It might not be literally said, but it is heavily suggested by the chronology of the scenes. We cut back and forth between Azog in Dol Guldur, and bilbo, at night in Beorn's cabin. The editing never seems to suggest that this is a flash forward, so the implication that it happens simultaneously would be logical to the majority of the audience.

Half a league, half a league, half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death, rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade! Charge for the guns' he said:
Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

Theirs not to make reply, theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 9 2015, 1:08pm

Post #12 of 18 (1487 views)
Shortcut
I think we should ignore appearances in this sequence. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's just assume that there is a time-jump here--first forward to Dol Guldur; and then back to Beorn's house.

We do know that there is a huge time-jump coming up. No matter how quickly the company seems to traverse Mirkwood and no matter how short the stay in Thranduil's caverns seems, we know that it must have taken many weeks for Thorin & Company to reach Lake-town from the Eaves of Mirkwood because they do not reach Esgaroth until it is nearly Durin's Day (which would have been in October). That is even longer than it took them to reach Lake-town in the book.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

AshNazg
Gondor

May 10 2015, 1:45am

Post #13 of 18 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Beorn says "Your hunters are not far behind" [In reply to] Can't Post

...Implying that Bolg has already come back from Dol Guldur and is chasing them. So how long did they stay at Beorn's?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 5:02am

Post #14 of 18 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Implying that Bolg has already come back from Dol Guldur and is chasing them. So how long did they stay at Beorn's?

In the book, at least, Thorin & Co. were at Beorn's for two days and it took them three days to reach Mirkwood. In film terms we can probably cut that time in half (maybe by more than half). On the other hand, we don't have to assume that Bolg was with the Hunters for the entire time. They could have left trail markers for him to follow.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 10 2015, 5:03am)

Arannir
Valinor

May 11 2015, 8:44am

Post #15 of 18 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Well... it certainly comes across to me like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, it is one of the biggest flaws the trilogy has. It makes the first part of DoS and the middle aprt of BotFA feel clumsy, imho.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Arannir
Valinor

May 11 2015, 8:50am

Post #16 of 18 (1284 views)
Shortcut
That is my issue though. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the pure "screen time" isn't the best way to measure these things.

However, I simply do not see why Legolas needed the screentime he got in terms of narrative.

If he would have been used for a great arc with a really fruitful storyline, I would have been perfectly fine with his screentime.

But what he does could imho have been done in a much smoother way instead of interferring with the overall storyline so much, contributing to my feeling of a very unfocused story and script.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 11 2015, 3:50pm

Post #17 of 18 (1205 views)
Shortcut
I felt that many of the transitions felt very awkward in the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

If we can have a caption telling us that the meeting between Gandalf and Thorin occured twelve months past, why not a caption to inform us that the company had been wandering through Mirkwood for two or three weeks (or more)?

moreorless
Gondor

May 15 2015, 6:37am

Post #18 of 18 (1039 views)
Shortcut
I would guess a mix... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For me, it is one of the biggest flaws the trilogy has. It makes the first part of DoS and the middle aprt of BotFA feel clumsy, imho.

I would tend to agree parts of all the Hobbit films feel clumsy in terms of plotting relative to LOTR but I do think most of the time a purpose is served.

In DOS I would say part of the reason for shifting Azog and Bolg is the disparity in character. Both of them are similar kinds of physical threats but Azog obviously carries a lot more weight as a character than Bolg.

Its I'd say more a question of where does the story need that weight and where is it best avoided? I think you could argue that the Barrel escape doesn't need it as much as it did when it was going to end AUJ with a risk indeed of it looking like it was covering the same ground again.

I would say that the confrontation in Laketown definitely doesn't need it. Many would say its already a potential distraction from Smaug but having Azog present makes it even moreso.

Turn that around and I would say Gandalf at Dol Guldor does benefit from Azog's presence. There's obviously the more powerful threat of Sauron and the Nazgul but those characters do not present the more humanised gloating presence Azog does.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.