The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Tolkien Estate's Website

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 12:56pm

Post #1 of 21 (1009 views)
Shortcut
The Tolkien Estate's Website Can't Post

The Tolkien Estate' Website has been much improved just recently -it's now a valuable resource. Take a look at their photos page:

http://www.tolkienestate.com/en/painting/photographs/photos.html

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 8 2015, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 21 (969 views)
Shortcut
Now clickable! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.tolkienestate.com/...tographs/photos.html

Thanks!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 2:43pm

Post #3 of 21 (955 views)
Shortcut
I love some of the work in the landcape gallery... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien really was quite an artist, wasn't he.

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 3:45pm

Post #4 of 21 (938 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 8 2015, 3:48pm

Post #5 of 21 (939 views)
Shortcut
De nada! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad to be of service.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 3:55pm

Post #6 of 21 (939 views)
Shortcut
yes - [In reply to] Can't Post

- he most certainly was (though he was very modest about his own abilities). One of my favourites is the Misty Mountains picture - seemingly very simple; but (to me) very much of its time, and quite subtle and understated.

Me and mrs g. have seen the original at exhibition(s) at the Bodleian Library over the years.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 5:47pm

Post #7 of 21 (922 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is lovely.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..not easy to achieve an effect like that with such simple lines.

The traditional landscapes caught my eye too. The stylized work is recognisably his but I didn't realise how good he was at naturalistic drawing and watercolour.

squire
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 5:58pm

Post #8 of 21 (926 views)
Shortcut
Very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the alert, I look forward to exploring it. There are certainly images there I haven't seen before.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 6:39pm

Post #9 of 21 (918 views)
Shortcut
A better starting point [In reply to] Can't Post

...is the site's home page.

Quite a splendid and ambitious site. I hope they keep adding material! Thank you for that, geordie!

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 9:50am

Post #10 of 21 (864 views)
Shortcut
John Rateliffe has added a cheat-sheet - [In reply to] Can't Post

- in his blog. It'll be useful; I admit I get a little lost -

http://sacnoths.blogspot.co.uk/...;utm_campaign=buffer

sorry; I don't know how to make these things 'clickable'.

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 10 2015, 12:26pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 9:54am

Post #11 of 21 (858 views)
Shortcut
This essay is rare - [In reply to] Can't Post

- Christopher's article called 'The Silmarillion: A Brief Account of the Book and its Making'.

http://www.tolkienestate.com/...he-silmarillion.html

- AFAIK, not published since 1977

(This post was edited by dernwyn on May 10 2015, 12:25pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 10 2015, 12:26pm

Post #12 of 21 (845 views)
Shortcut
Now clickable. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, geordie! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

squire
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 12:53pm

Post #13 of 21 (848 views)
Shortcut
That is really interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for pointing us to that essay, Geordie. You seem to know of it - can you tell us where and how it was actually published, in 1977? It reads like a first draft of the foreword to the Silmarillion, but is much longer and more discursive.

I was particularly taken by a couple of passages:

Thus The Silmarillion is at once the precursor of and the sequel to The Lord of the Rings – a curious situation, for which he himself, when badgered for a definition of the relation between the two books, coined the highly uncharacteristic word “prequel”!

Really? J. R. R. Tolkien made up the word "prequel"?

Also this:
In notes that he wrote as private discussions or “thinking aloud,” he often spoke as if the solution to a problem could best be found by penetrating more deeply into the matter, as if some contradiction could best be resolved in terms of what was already known – far more rarely did he treat his work autocratically, saying “This won’t do” or “I must get rid of that.” Yet it was subjected to close critical examination, and things wouldn’t do, and things were got rid of – but usually by subtle transformation rather than by outright rejection, so that the study of the growth of these legends can seem not unlike that of those of actual peoples, the product of many mind and generations.

This echoes very strongly Tom Shippey's similar analysis of JRRT's creative style, or perhaps I should say Shippey's writing echoes Christopher Tolkien. CT's account here is more folksy and personal, though, and captures just a bit more of JRRT's character.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 1:38pm

Post #14 of 21 (837 views)
Shortcut
Clickable... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
sorry; I don't know how to make these things 'clickable'.

It's easy when you know how: Place the *url* and */url* functions at either end of the full web-address (remembering to use [***]) or just click on the symbols.

*url*http://...*/url*

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 10 2015, 1:51pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 1:48pm

Post #15 of 21 (831 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I'll give it a try :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 1:53pm

Post #16 of 21 (831 views)
Shortcut
let's give this clickable thing a try - [In reply to] Can't Post

urlhttp://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Silmarillion_by_J.R.R._Tolkien:_A_Brief_Account_of_the_Book_and_its_Making/url

Here
you go. I'm in Advanced Editor, and I first highlight the text I want to be the link (in this case, "Here:), then I click on the chain icon above. Backspace over the "http://" that appears and enter your link. Click Submit ad you should be OK.

You can test the link by clicking on the Preview button at the bottom and to the right.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on May 10 2015, 5:15pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 1:59pm

Post #17 of 21 (827 views)
Shortcut
sorry - that didn't work - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I tried it with and without the *s, too. Ah well - can't teach an old dog new tricks -

but anyway; the essay was produced in that Houghton Mifflin booklet - I had to buy a 2nd copy of the US 1st ed. Silm to get mine. It was also published in the Toronto Globe and Mail, on Sept. 15th 1977. I have the relevant pages from a copy of that, too.

It was also published in the journal of the Tolkien Society, Mallorn, no.14.

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 2:02pm

Post #18 of 21 (825 views)
Shortcut
for a while it was thought that Tolkien had made up the word 'prequel' [In reply to] Can't Post

- but the indefatigable Scull and Hammond have researched the matter and found that JRR had heard of the word soon before he used it in a letter.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 9:10pm

Post #19 of 21 (802 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! Now I have something to [In reply to] Can't Post

do for the rest of Mother's Day!Cool

Loresilme
Valinor

May 12 2015, 12:29pm

Post #20 of 21 (752 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow there is great stuff there! Lots of content and I can't get over those illustrations. What an incredible visual artist JRRT was as well. Amazing.

Thanks for the link, have bookmarked that one!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 20 2015, 6:18pm

Post #21 of 21 (607 views)
Shortcut
Oh.... Good for them :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad they're making fans feel more welcome with such great improvements :) THANK YOU!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.