Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
We haven't had a good fantasy film since ROTK!!!

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

May 8 2015, 12:06am

Post #1 of 16 (724 views)
Shortcut
We haven't had a good fantasy film since ROTK!!! Can't Post

Seriously,

After the LOTRS trilogy I thought people would realise how fantastic fantasy films are if they are done right... I thought the floodgates would open after the success of these films.

But nope -nothing. Not 1 good fantasy film!

There are some seriously good books out there just dying to be made into films...what gives?

*And yes, I acknowledge that Game of Thrones is fantastic but it's a t.v show*

Thoughts??

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 12:29am

Post #2 of 16 (680 views)
Shortcut
Opinions vary... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's been lots that I've loved:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Pan's Labyrinth
Stardust
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Noah

...to name a few.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on May 8 2015, 12:40am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 8 2015, 12:30am

Post #3 of 16 (670 views)
Shortcut
Pan's Labyrinth? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Harry Potter series? Underworld? Avatar?

I don't think any fantasy films have grabbed people's attention and imagination quite like the LOTR trilogy did (Avatar possibly excluded, given the huge audience response to the visuals), but there have been some movies that I think are exceptional in some way. (And there have been plenty that are very middling.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 12:47am

Post #4 of 16 (673 views)
Shortcut
As for Game of Thrones, it's not TV... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's HBO.

Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Elutherian
Rohan

May 8 2015, 3:39am

Post #5 of 16 (658 views)
Shortcut
Depends what you consider Fantasy... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Harry Potter was (mostly) fantastic in terms of the films. Pan's Labyrinth was a masterpiece.

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

May 8 2015, 6:04am

Post #6 of 16 (650 views)
Shortcut
Pans labyrinth... [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally forgot about that film. That was great!

I guess I mean more in the vain of LOTRS...

Hobbit films, Narnia films etc were quite poor.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 8 2015, 1:53pm

Post #7 of 16 (628 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I'd call the Hobbit trilogy 'poor'. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that Jackson's Hobbit films fell short of truly excellent.

I feel hopeful about WB's The Dragonriders of Pern films, if they actually gets made. Not as much for the Magical Beasts series based on the Harry Potter books--largely because I don't know that the concept can sustain a trilogy.

There are any number of potentially great fantasy and science-fiction films in development. The trouble is that few of them make it into production and live up to expectations.

I get discouraged when I learn of a studio acquiring a great property not so that it can produce it as much as to prevent a rival from making it.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 8 2015, 1:55pm)

Annael
Immortal

May 8 2015, 2:26pm

Post #8 of 16 (616 views)
Shortcut
I'd call "Avatar" sci/fi [In reply to] Can't Post

and if we widen the net to include sci/fi, lots of good films in the last 10 years, like Interstellar (must get to Ex Machina soon . . .)

And where do the Avenger and X-Men films fall? I've loved most of them.

Stranger than Fiction was awesome. What would we call that, fantasy? Magical realism?

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 8 2015, 2:30pm

Post #9 of 16 (615 views)
Shortcut
Super-hero movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And where do the Avenger and X-Men films fall? I've loved most of them.

Honestly? Most super-hero films should probably be considered to be fantasies as they pay little heed to real-world science (physics in particular).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 3:01pm

Post #10 of 16 (618 views)
Shortcut
Haven't you? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen quite a few. The later Potter films.... Stardust was superb. I think the Narnia films were well done, though obviously pitched to a younger audience. Hugo had something of fantasy about it. Avatar was probably more science fiction, though it too had elements of fantasy and a very enthusiastic audience. The Golden Compass disappointed me when I saw it in the cinema, but last year I picked up the DVD in the supermarket's bargain bin and found it a better film than I thought at first.

There's also a very promising fantasy TV adaptation coming up in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - must have been insanely difficult to adapt but if done well it should be amazing.

Then of course there are the three Hobbit films - and they're brilliant.

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8 2015, 3:06pm

Post #11 of 16 (617 views)
Shortcut
Hollywood wisdom [In reply to] Can't Post

Columbia Pictures head Harry Cohn: "Fantasy films never make any money!"

"But boss, you produced 'Lost Horizon' and it made a ton of money!"

"Yeah, but think how much more it woulda made if it hadn’t been a fantasy!!”

Living Will Addendum:

To Whom It May Concern:

If I'm ever on life support, please unplug me.

Then plug me back in.

(Hey, works for computers!)

Jade Jess
The Shire

May 8 2015, 6:06pm

Post #12 of 16 (599 views)
Shortcut
Not that I don't enjoy adapted screenplays... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantasy has been thriving in animation. I like Coraline, ParaNorman, and How To Train Your Dragon. Disney is adapting old animated classics into live action movies now.

But these fantasy movies seem to be coming from books and remakes.

I want to see more original fantasy movies like Labyrinth. I'm pretty sure that movie was not based on a book. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 9:39pm

Post #13 of 16 (587 views)
Shortcut
I suspect I agree on the rating of the TH films but [In reply to] Can't Post

It occurred to me awhile back that it is hard to thing of many fantasy films which better them (though certainly LOTR and Pan's Labyrinth).

Whilst I would say that there is a gap in absolute scoring between them, in terms of ranking films in the fantasy genre TH comes out surely in the top ten, I would think.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 13 2015, 3:45pm

Post #14 of 16 (460 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say [In reply to] Can't Post

the Narnia films were poor, they were aimed at a very different audience (younger kids) and tamed down a bit (no blood and stuff) so for adults, they might have lacked some weight.

Pan's Labyrinth was at the other end of the scale. Brilliant, deep, insightful, great visuals, but I can never watch it again for its violence.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 13 2015, 3:46pm

Post #15 of 16 (460 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

feeling hopeful about
SOMEBODY FINALLY FREAKING DOING PERN!!!!!!

i only read the books like a lifetime ago, about time. Oh, now we can do real dragons. Cool.

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 13 2015, 4:03pm

Post #16 of 16 (459 views)
Shortcut
sci-fi-fantasy-comics [In reply to] Can't Post

are part of a spectrum. They all are mythic, drawing on archetypes, archetypal characters and situations we all have recognized as long as we have told stories.

Fantasy tends to deal with a pre-industrial age, sci-fi tends to draw on our interactions with technology and space, and comics combine all of the above. Note the last Avengers film: present day setting, high tech, artificial intelligence (and the questions of where do we draw the line in our quest for the invention and use of technology) as well as "magic" in the use of superpowers (and one character who is in most versions, literally using magic), artifacts of higher cultures (a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic), and the deeper question of does "artificial intelligence" Vision have a soul?

Classic superhero comics like X-Men and Avengers are really using the entire spectrum of this genre. You can look at any of the characters and see their archetype. The storylines are hero Journey tales or other archetypal storylines from the dawn of storytelling, set in a modern setting. Guardians of the Galaxy is ostensibly sci-fi, but there are elements of what we'd traditionally call fantasy/magic. Same with Star Wars: that was based more strongly on Geoprge Lucas's understanding and study of fairy tales, legends and the Hero Journey.

Even Avatar neatly combined sci-fi and fantasy with it's "primitive culture" that drew on the energies of the natural world... what we'd call "magic".

My vague understanding of magical realism is that somebody just sticks a fantasy element into a tale to make a literary statement... that it's a device, no more. I kind of hate that idea. Probably passionately. Probably to where I'd want to take virtual Mjolnir to that keyboard. That keyboad is unworthy. Fantasy is not about sticking a random weird thing in there to make a point, it is about the whole world of archetype, of storytelling, about immersing you in a place where you can discover something new, about taking you on a journey, about stepping out from under the trees so you can see the forest.

OK, I just wiki'd that and still can't make sense of it. Bleah. Sticking with comics.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.