The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Tolkien-inspired metal

dalecooper
Rivendell

May 7 2015, 1:06pm

Post #1 of 3 (2403 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien-inspired metal Can't Post

Hi all! It's been a while since I posted here - probably since around the time "An Unexpected Journey" came out, though the most time I ever spent on this site was way back when the LOTR trilogy was being made and released. What a glorious time. It's nice to see that the site still exists and gets a decent amount of traffic after all these years.

I thought a few of you might take an interest in this band. Full disclosure, this is more than a bit self-promotional - I'm not in the band, but I own a small record label that is releasing the CD. That said, I really like this album and hope others that are into punk or metal, or just good melodic songwriting, give it a shot. They're called Black Tower and all the lyrics are Tolkien-inspired, mainly from "The Hobbit" (as you can probably tell from the chorus of this one). I doubt J.R.R. himself would approve, but hey, much of the art inspired by his books goes into stranger realms. FYI, the clips in the video are from a B-grade (if that) fantasy movie called "Sorceress"; it doesn't really reflect the lyrical content, but it's in the ballpark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxTbfFQwBQw

(Mods - I wasn't sure if I should post here or under "Fan Art," so if this needs to be moved, please move it.)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 7 2015, 1:38pm

Post #2 of 3 (2391 views)
Shortcut
You are sending me back in time. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am remembering listening to vintage Black Sabbath, Cirith Ungol and (although not metal) Led Zeppelin and Shadowfax. And, in terms of more general fantasy influences, Blue Oyster Cult and the UK band Hawkwind.

No, Tolkien probably wouldn't approve, but who would have guessed that Christopher Lee would be into metal?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dalecooper
Rivendell

May 7 2015, 1:54pm

Post #3 of 3 (2390 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly not me! Sir Lee's late-life transformation into a metal artist is funny and amazing to me. What a long and varied career he's had - true geek icon.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.