FINALLY! Male actor complains about "demeaning" six-pack
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 6 2015, 1:29pm

Post #1 of 31 (2055 views)
Shortcut
FINALLY! Male actor complains about "demeaning" six-pack Can't Post

So here is an article regarding Aidan Turner's "Poldark" drama, actually being critical of his shirtless scenes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/...-roles-10224181.html

In the article Kit Harrington, another popular hottie has this to say:

“To always be put on a pedestal as a hunk is slightly demeaning. It really is and it’s in the same way as it is for women.”

Now, as much as I admire Aidan's buff torso I have to agree with Mr. Harrington. Things have finally gotten just as bad for male actors, always having to look super buff, as they are for women who have to stay thin, and that's probably not a good thing. I remember a scene in the second Thor movie, where he's in the subway and a woman "stumbles" and puts her hand on his chest. Yeah, it was funny but I thought, if a man tried that stunt, BAM! And he'd deserve it, too! Why then should women be able to get away with it? There's been a storm of controversy around the Black Widow character and how her portrayal is "sexist." If that is true, and we want women characters to be treated better (which was the point in the movie, IMO), then shouldn't we women be willing to do the same for men?

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

(This post was edited by Ataahua on May 6 2015, 6:40pm)

Annael
Immortal

May 6 2015, 4:39pm

Post #2 of 31 (1932 views)
Shortcut
what I'd like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

is an appreciation for physical beauty (including a wide range of possible body shapes) that isn't so sexualized. Gazing without drooling, if you will - like one would at a sunset or a horse running.

I have a male friend who somehow manages to convey to women the feeling that he appreciates all of them without coming across at all in a "hey baby" or creepy way. The guy just likes women. I've sat across from him at a dinner table and watched as the women sitting next to him start to glow with an inward light just because of how he interacts with them. It's a beautiful thing. I have no idea how he does it, other than that when you talk with him, you feel you have his complete attention and that he likes everything about you.

So in that spirit, while I freely admit that I like it when Chris Hemsworth takes off his shirt in a movie, part of my enjoyment comes from knowing he's a devoted husband and father and a good actor. I gaze in appreciation of the entire person (and turn away from those who, no matter how good they look on the surface, have proven themselves to be real jerks).

But he's right, that's not what the suits want; what they want IS demeaning.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

May 6 2015, 4:55pm

Post #3 of 31 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Do I need a trigger warning.... [In reply to] Can't Post

to go and see the new Avengers movie or can I just go and enjoy a good story where men are men and damsels don't mind being rescued by the hero, especially if the hero looks like Thor?

Just my opinion of course Smile

Annael
Immortal

May 6 2015, 5:10pm

Post #4 of 31 (1926 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

if that's what you're after, I don't think this is the movie for you, because none of the women need rescuing (apart from innocent bystanders, but that includes men, women, and children, and they're rescued by both male & female Avengers).

One of my favorite scenes is a bragfest between Thor & Tony over who is accomplishing the greatest things in her career, Jane or Pepper.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

Meneldor
Valinor

May 6 2015, 8:49pm

Post #5 of 31 (1897 views)
Shortcut
I used to have a 6 pack. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I have a keg.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 6 2015, 10:30pm

Post #6 of 31 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Mixed feelings [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it somewhat disingenuous of a professional actor who aspires to be a leading man in movies to complain about having to work out and look fit and attractive. Anyone who watches old movies can tell you that there is absolutely nothing new about male actors taking off their shirts and showing off their muscles (Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. anyone?)

Having said that, we DO live in a weird, hyper-sexualized culture, and it does get old after awhile.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 7 2015, 12:07am

Post #7 of 31 (1868 views)
Shortcut
"That's the way it's always been" is not exactly the best argument... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when talking about matters of progress.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 7 2015, 1:50am

Post #8 of 31 (1850 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's a discussion about progress [In reply to] Can't Post

Certain jobs come with certain responsibilities and expectations. If Mr. MacFayden wants to play leading romantic roles like Mr. Darcy, and have the fame and the paychecks that go with it, then he has to fulfill his end of the bargain. Actors are constantly altering their appearance for roles, so going to the gym in order to look a certain way for a certain role doesn't seem unreasonable. And his comment that people in the past wouldn't have 6-pack abs is just silly, as a quick survey of any art book on figure painting could show him. Really, he just sounded whiney to me, and perhaps not thrilled that a younger actor was the new hot thing.

Annael
Immortal

May 7 2015, 2:21am

Post #9 of 31 (1864 views)
Shortcut
okay, I didn't know what a "trigger warning" was [In reply to] Can't Post

until I read this today:
http://legalinsurrection.com/...ovids-metamorphoses/

-- Thomas Moore

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 7 2015, 11:18am

Post #10 of 31 (1812 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

The lunacy just keeps on spreading. Guess I'd better run out and buy my own copies of all the classics before they're burned.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 7 2015, 11:57am

Post #11 of 31 (1801 views)
Shortcut
There's a good article in UK's Radio Times 9-15 May [In reply to] Can't Post

where Matthew Macfadyen discusses this issue - he prefers being an actor to a screen hunk. Not sure if it's available online.- will check and post more on this, but grandson is just about to arrive for the afternoon!

Brethil
Half-elven

May 7 2015, 12:11pm

Post #12 of 31 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. I rather agree with the poster Gullah on that site...// [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The lunacy just keeps on spreading. Guess I'd better run out and buy my own copies of all the classics before they're burned.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 7 2015, 2:16pm

Post #13 of 31 (1793 views)
Shortcut
There's a broader definition. [In reply to] Can't Post

In cases where people experienced trauma, part of the healing process is to recognize situations that "trigger" a flashback to the trauma. I've seen it used in cases of abuse or rape, but it could apply to recovering from any traumatic experience.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 7 2015, 2:57pm

Post #14 of 31 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Well that's fine [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In cases where people experienced trauma, part of the healing process is to recognize situations that "trigger" a flashback to the trauma. I've seen it used in cases of abuse or rape, but it could apply to recovering from any traumatic experience.

But that also sounds like something the victim (whom I have the utmost sympathy for) needs to do proactively to protect him/herself. And it makes perfect sense, because you CAN'T control your environment to the extent of expunging everything that could trigger a flashback, so better to recognize and be prepared for the possibility. But at the University it sounds like some people are attempting to do just that, and I seriously doubt their motivations are all that sincere.

But back to the original article - well I have complained about actresses that have to be scary skinny to get work - Zoe Saladana comes to mind - and I wonder, do they even get to eat? I had some hope because there are some very curvy actresses out there, like Scarlett and Sofia Vegara, who may at least be getting us away from that super skinny look, and I get what McFayden is saying. I thought he looked just fine in "Pride & Prejudice" myself - of course I think Aidan and Chris Hemsworth look fine, too, but for Chris I think it might come more easily. Aidan was joking in another interview that he's become "soft" again. Apparently that look is hard to maintain, go figure! It does seem like male actors now have to be super buff like the women have to be svelte, and for some it will be more difficult to get/maintain that look. And is the "look" more important than the acting talent? I mean, I guess that's always the question. And maybe Kit Harrington wants to be seen as an actor and not just a buff bod, perfectly understandable to me.

Annael
Immortal

May 7 2015, 3:25pm

Post #15 of 31 (1784 views)
Shortcut
I get that [In reply to] Can't Post

and I know that one therapeutic technique involves deliberately triggering the trauma, but only to a limited extent and with a therapist right there to guide the person through it. Doing this repeatedly can help desensitize the person and/or give them techniques for managing their reactions.

I was yelled at in public on more than one occasion by someone who would inform me that by having my German shepherd with me out in public I was triggering their phobia about GSDs/big dogs/all dogs. Every time I invited them to work with that fear right then and there, as my dog, who was one of the gentlest souls ever, was safe; I'd tell her to sit or lie down & invite them to approach her at their own speed until they were as close as they cared to go, reassuring them that she would stay put. No one ever took me up on it; they wanted to make it my problem/everyone else's problem. Just another example of all the ways that people give their own power away, alas.

-- Thomas Moore

(This post was edited by Annael on May 7 2015, 3:27pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 7 2015, 3:37pm

Post #16 of 31 (1774 views)
Shortcut
YOU get yelled at? [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, big dogs that I don't know scare me, too. I've always had a bit of a fear of them, but how stupid to yell at someone who's got their dog on a leash! That's what I mean, you can't expect to NEVER run into something or someone (apparently in your case, dog-haters) that scares, makes you uncomfortable or reminds you of something traumatic. But I work at a University, and there's alway some group that wants to flex its muscle and affect policy, which is what your article makes me think of. That's what I meant when I said I doubted their motive were all that sincere, sounds more like an agenda to me.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 7 2015, 5:24pm

Post #17 of 31 (1755 views)
Shortcut
I had such a crush on Douglas Fairbanks Sr. when I was girl [In reply to] Can't Post

(Not I'm not that old. But PBS was showing some of his movies and--oh my!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 7 2015, 5:32pm

Post #18 of 31 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

it could be that they have had experiences like mine, with people who swear their dog is sweet and kind and never misbehaves, and then the dog jumps up and puts its paws on my shoulders and barks and growls in my face. The stranger invariably scolds the dog and apologizes, but it doesn't make me trust strangers and their dogs.

I wouldn't think of yelling at someone who had a dog out in public if the dog is on a leash and can't reach me. But I've had too many encounters with dogs whose owners are sure they are under "voice control" when they're not. (My dad's neighbor is like that. She lets her dogs run around the neighborhood, and once they stopped me in my dad's driveway and wouldn't let me pass.) If I know you and your well-behaved dog, I'm fine, but if you're a stranger, I'm not going to take your word for it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 7 2015, 8:22pm

Post #19 of 31 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I had a similar experience [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw a Rudolph Valentino movie was at a film festival that was showing "The Sheik". Looking at those old black and white photos, I had never really seen the appeal of this famous heartthrob, but what a difference on film. The guy had a million watt smile that made me sit up and say, "Yep, OK, now I get it", and the still photos just don't show the personality that comes across on screen.

Some of those old movies are pretty great, but my favorites are all from the 30's. "Dinner at Eight" is one of my top favorite old movies ever.

Annael
Immortal

May 7 2015, 8:48pm

Post #20 of 31 (1719 views)
Shortcut
sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I get that - although one of the phobic people worked with me for years and saw my dog a lot, and still wouldn't go anywhere near her. She also wouldn't take me up on my offer to teach her how to swim, another phobia. Some people prefer to stay stuck . . .

Personally, I'm of the "there's no bad dogs, only bad owners" persuasion. Even if my dog was off-leash (and she was voice trained), if I saw that someone approaching was nervous, I called her to me and put her on sit-stay, or put her on leash. Not that she was ever one of those dogs who ran at strangers anyway; she was actually pretty indifferent to strangers, unless she thought they were going to attack ME, in which case, she just got between me & the person, but always close to me.

Being a dog person also helps me to know when a dog is just being friendly by running at me, and when it's not.

-- Thomas Moore

(This post was edited by Annael on May 7 2015, 9:01pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

May 7 2015, 10:18pm

Post #21 of 31 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Phobias are tough. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had an opportunity to hold Rosie the tarantula at the Butterfly Pavilion, and I thought about it,and decided against it. I've been working on my spider phobia for years, and can rescue them from the bathtub and enjoy the garden spiders in my windows, but I'm still not up for touching one.

My nervousness around dogs isn't really a phobia, not like my spider phobia. I don't get shuddery, and I can pet them. But I don't trust dogs I don't know. I've had students with service dogs in my classes, and I have no problems with that, because those dogs are clearly very well trained.

And maybe instead of saying people prefer to stay stuck, another way of thinking of it might be that they're staying safe. A person who has been badly injured by a dog is being perfectly sensible by avoiding them. Like my students who come back from the war and have to sit with a wall behind them. I don't blame them a bit for that.

GNU Terry Pratchett

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

May 8 2015, 1:57am

Post #22 of 31 (1700 views)
Shortcut
It's more than just being objectified as a sex symbol [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also about treating an actor (or actress) who happens to be physically attractive as if that's all they've got going for them, their actual performance being ignored. In Aidan's case, yeah, wowza does he look great with his shirt off. But it really doesn't come off nearly as much as you would think listening to critics. Plus he is a fine, dedicated actor who brings great charisma to the part of Ross Poldark. Yes, it's a sexy character but it would be just as much if Aidan never lost his shirt. (To his credit, his Poldark never once reminded me of Kili.)

So I sympathize with Kit Harrington's remark. His sex appeal is exploited at the expense of his acting abilities. Something actresses have had to contend with since forever. It's a shame that instead of treating actresses with the respect formerly reserved for actors, now actors are getting the "himbo" treatment.

Hernevernen!!

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

May 8 2015, 1:58am

Post #23 of 31 (1682 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree, Annael // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hernevernen!!

Starling
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 5:26am

Post #24 of 31 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Anyway, if I was an angry bloke, [In reply to] Can't Post

with heaps of scything to do on a super hot day, of course I would take my shirt off. That's just good sense.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

May 8 2015, 10:20am

Post #25 of 31 (1674 views)
Shortcut
And to Ross' and the writer's great credit [In reply to] Can't Post

he hastily buttoned his shirt back on before returning to the house to greet Elizabeth. Totally exploitable opportunity for some unjustified half-naked Aidan, rejected!

Hernevernen!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.