Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Would Thranduil have jumped in and saved Thorin from Azog?

boldog
Rohan

May 6 2015, 10:51am

Post #1 of 6 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Would Thranduil have jumped in and saved Thorin from Azog? Can't Post

If Thranduil was up at Ravenhill and saw Thorin about to be stabbed by Azog, what would he do.
Clearly these two are not near to being allies, but Azog is no ones ally. So my bet is Thranduil might jump in and save Thorin, though it may be more instinct than pure defence
thoughts?

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 6 2015, 1:18pm

Post #2 of 6 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Um...yes? [In reply to] Can't Post

At that point in the movie I expect that Thranduil would have aided Thorin if possible. He would have had to have been right there on the ice with him to be able to see what Azog was about to do, though, and be able to act in time.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Avandel
Half-elven

May 6 2015, 3:00pm

Post #3 of 6 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Re the FILM Thranduil, it's always surprised me - when I think of it - that Thranduil didn't follow his son and Tauriel to Ravenhill anyway - with his only son heading to where and entire army was coming, Shocked

But yes, I completely believe Thranduil would have aided Thorin on Ravenhill. Movie Thranduil and book Thranduil are blurred together in my mind, but I feel Thranduil is an ancient, complex being - and while "mortals" may be "children" to elves, THIS child is the Heir of Durin - and I think, not one that Thranduil disrespected per se. There's hostility between the two kings, and a fierce clash of wills, but even with an entire army at Erebor to me it still feels as tho Thranduil just wants what he wants, and may be ruthless about getting it (in the film), but that's not raging hatred. Thranduil didn't torture or humiliate the dwarves in their cells, when he imprisoned them.

Thorin may have believed his race was betrayed, with reason - but the film doesn't make the point of Thranduil's backstory re Thranduil's own father e.g. motivation for Thranduil's choices in AUJ. In any case, the elves had already joined forces with the dwarves re the battle in BOFA.

And of course, everyone kills orcs, because you should. And I think it would have "amused" the movie Thranduil to save Thorin.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 6 2015, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 6 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but would Thorin have appreciated it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Re the FILM Thranduil, it's always surprised me - when I think of it - that Thranduil didn't follow his son and Tauriel to Ravenhill anyway - with his only son heading to where and entire army was coming, Shocked

But yes, I completely believe Thranduil would have aided Thorin on Ravenhill. Movie Thranduil and book Thranduil are blurred together in my mind, but I feel Thranduil is an ancient, complex being - and while "mortals" may be "children" to elves, THIS child is the Heir of Durin - and I think, not one that Thranduil disrespected per se. There's hostility between the two kings, and a fierce clash of wills, but even with an entire army at Erebor to me it still feels as tho Thranduil just wants what he wants, and may be ruthless about getting it (in the film), but that's not raging hatred. Thranduil didn't torture or humiliate the dwarves in their cells, when he imprisoned them.

Thorin may have believed his race was betrayed, with reason - but the film doesn't make the point of Thranduil's backstory re Thranduil's own father e.g. motivation for Thranduil's choices in AUJ. In any case, the elves had already joined forces with the dwarves re the battle in BOFA.

And of course, everyone kills orcs, because you should. And I think it would have "amused" the movie Thranduil to save Thorin.

I would say "yes" to Thranduil aiding Thorin, but I can imagine Thorin - even being in his "right" mind - would have said something tacky about it. And oh, the indignity of being rescued by that "Great King"Mad and having his cousin find outShocked. He might wish he were dead, LOL!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

dormouse
Half-elven

May 6 2015, 7:01pm

Post #5 of 6 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil would help Thorin, of course ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see any question of that, whatever their differences. When it comes to orcs they are on the same side - they are allies. After all, Thranduil fights side-by-side with Dain against the orcs in the main battle, doesn't he - and Dain was hardly polite to him.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 6 2015, 8:35pm

Post #6 of 6 (980 views)
Shortcut
True, that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't see any question of that, whatever their differences. When it comes to orcs they are on the same side - they are allies. After all, Thranduil fights side-by-side with Dain against the orcs in the main battle, doesn't he - and Dain was hardly polite to him.

I just can't help but remember my "theory" on why the Durins faked their deaths - seems Thorin was real embarassed that a certain "blonde show-off" saved him from Azog, so he floated down the river, so to speakWink

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.