The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Carn Dum and the Black Gate

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 6 2015, 6:49am

Post #1 of 8 (6228 views)
Shortcut
Carn Dum and the Black Gate Can't Post

This is a concept art of Carn Dum, the old stronghold of the Witchking, in the game Lord of the Rings Online:
https://masteroflore.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/carn-dum-e1424630198776.jpg
And these are ingame photos of Carn Dum in Lotro:
http://images.mmorpg.com/images/galleries/full/362008/42218ca0-69fa-4d8a-984c-3cc7600e3882.jpg
https://lotro-wiki.com/images/thumb/6/6f/CD_Castle.jpg/320px-CD_Castle.jpg
- Which image(s) (the concept or the ingame photos) have more movie-feeling (I mean which one of the concept and the ingame photos looks more/most possible to have been included in PJ's movies)?
- Which image(s) (the concept or the ingame photos) look more possible to be located in Angmar?
Also, considering the Black Gate, is it true that it was first built by Gondor after Sauron's downfall? And then taken over when he returned to Mordor? Or is it just a theory that it was built by men? For example, in the game Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor it looks like the gate was built by Gondor.

Bofur01
Lorien

May 6 2015, 8:00am

Post #2 of 8 (6222 views)
Shortcut
It was definitely first built by Gondorians... [In reply to] Can't Post

And you must include BFME2 Carn Dum in it... Even though it was really bad Tongue

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 6 2015, 8:14am

Post #3 of 8 (6221 views)
Shortcut
Bfme2 and realistic/movie Carn Dum [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info on the Black Gate.
I did not include Carn Dum from Bfme2, because it neither looks like the most (or at all) evil place in Eriador and a stronghold of the Witchking, nor does it look like a stronghold that would be portrayed in the movies; in my opinion Tongue

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 7 2015, 5:16am

Post #4 of 8 (6188 views)
Shortcut
Wow, so few replies [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like this forum is getting little activity and replies Unsure

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

May 7 2015, 11:36am

Post #5 of 8 (6170 views)
Shortcut
I'd have to say neither, [In reply to] Can't Post

Angmar was a frozen wasteland, and was also abandoned. I like LOTRO's the best, but Angmar would have a lot more snow.

For movie feeling, I'd say LOTRO, but PJ and Co would probably add more snow in or just make it feel like it's cold.

I don't think either would be located in Angmar, they're both really cool designs, but I don't think I would find either in a wintery place like Angmar. I'd say it would look more like The Dwarven Cities in Forochel in-game (Or am I mistaking the cities in another area? I haven't played in Forochel for awhile).

For your last question, the gate was built by Sauron, then taken by the Numenorans after his downfall. I had to look that one up, never knew that. I think it might of been changed by the Numenorans, but I don't think anyone other than Sauron built it.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 7 2015, 1:17pm

Post #6 of 8 (6161 views)
Shortcut
Lotro's Carn Dum [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually all the pictures I posted were from Lotro, but the concept art was made during the making of the game, before it was released.
Anyway I don't see any problem with Angmar not being snowy; I always thought Mount Gundabad would also be less snowy than people think of it, and PJ interpreted it that way Smile, so he may choose Angmar to look similar - it may have a bit of snow on the mountains, but the rest of the land will probably not be snowy IMO.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 7 2015, 2:00pm

Post #7 of 8 (6158 views)
Shortcut
I'm a bit curious about why you're asking. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if you have a specific reason for asking about this. Are you looking for images to use as visual aids in an rpg session? Or is it purely a matter of curiousity?

For the record, I think that all of those images work pretty well; I like the concept art best.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 7 2015, 2:04pm)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

May 7 2015, 3:45pm

Post #8 of 8 (6141 views)
Shortcut
Sort of a movie-visuals guide... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I asked because Carn Dum and Angmar are not depicted in the movies, and I wanted to know which of these pics would resemble more a Carn Dum from the movies, and which one looks more realistic. I did not talk about Carn Dum from other games such as Bfme2 Rotwk and Lotr War in the North, because they either don't look like a stronghold, or look unrealistic in my opinion.
Anyway I hope more people will also reply to this thread Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.