AVENGERS! AGE OF ULTRON
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 1 2015, 5:54pm

Post #1 of 36 (2321 views)
Shortcut
AVENGERS! AGE OF ULTRON Can't Post

What?!?!?Nobody posted a thread yet?!?!?!?

Saw it last night with a small crowd of fans in a small local theater.

much hilarity, such fandom, very testosterone...

as one of, like, two women in the audience, I was amused

I've enjoyed all the Avengers films and spinoff series (SHIELD, Carter) and I think this latest one nails what makes it great:

1. Fantastic action, but not Fast and Furious tripe... rather action that is Art, action that is Traditional Comic Book come to vivid life with all its mythic exaggerations.

2. Characters: people we identify with, laugh with, cry with, people we'd like to hang out with (*cough* testosterone *cough*), we'd all like to try to pick up Mjolnir and laugh when we fail utterly to wiggle it (*cough*youknowwho*cough*),

3. Big mythic elements, deep meanings, going below the surface. Not just an action whacked two hours of gun and games. Comics are our modern faerie tales, our contemporary mythology (aaaaand, we've thrown in an ancient mythic figure or two: *cough* Norse guys *cough*). We can, as in faerie tale or science fiction, talk about social issues, Good and Evil, how much Government is enough, fear vs freedom, and our relationship with technology.

SOME MINOR SPOILERS (OR NOT)

Some of the best bits were the little things. Hawkeye's commentary on being the ordinary guy in the midst of a power packed Epic Battle.. with a bow and arrows. Thor's subtle shift of expression when YouKnowWho manages to make Mjolnir move, and no one but Thor notices. And everyone's stunned looks when YouKnowWhoElse picks it up. Natasha and Bruce. Bruce's continuing battle with the Monster Within, and Natasha's simple and effective (and slightly devious) way to summon the Hulk. Oneliners. Bits of humor. Hawk's throwaway lines about how he could pretty much just nail Quicksilver in the thick of battle and no one would know... except that you know, deep down, he actually admires the kid. And Quicksilver's ultimate response.

A great set of characters who deserve continuing great tales.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

May 1 2015, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 36 (2269 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it yet but [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly will at some point. I'm surprised there were so few women there - I would have thought it'd appeal to both sexes , maybe for different reasons! I thoroughly enjoyed Thor and Avengers Assemble. My 2 year old grandson keeps striking poses and being Iron Man - he has the mask, and everythng - very cute. The four year old is obsessed with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... though Spiderman gets a look-in occasonially.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2015, 8:04pm

Post #3 of 36 (2271 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked those two hammer moments and enjoyed hearing the laughter around me. :) There was only one thing I didn't see coming, and I appreciated it because there *should* be tangible danger in battles, even among superheroes.

I posted a review in last week's 'movies' thread.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 1 2015, 8:17pm

Post #4 of 36 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Will see it next Tuesday [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a "Warren" theater where you can get reserved seats in the balcony section AND have access to a BAR!Cool Of course they were already sold out this weekend, so next Tuesday it is!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Annael
Immortal

May 1 2015, 11:09pm

Post #5 of 36 (2243 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

concert tonight, busy all weekend - my "scifi movie friend" and I have tickets for the matinee on Tuesday.

I'm almost more excited to see "The Hard Problem" on Saturday but I'm weird that way.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Meneldor
Valinor

May 2 2015, 1:15am

Post #6 of 36 (2235 views)
Shortcut
I want to see it! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have no idea when I'll be able to. Frown

Staying spoiler free may be difficult; thanks for the warning, Swordwhale.

I haven't had a chance to see any of Agent Carter or AoS season 2. Is there anything I need to know before I see Ultron?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 2 2015, 2:11am

Post #7 of 36 (2230 views)
Shortcut
must check that out! [In reply to] Can't Post

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 2 2015, 2:24am

Post #8 of 36 (2229 views)
Shortcut
oK [In reply to] Can't Post

cant find it... linkie pleeeeez?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 2 2015, 3:46am

Post #9 of 36 (2224 views)
Shortcut
Here you go: [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a short review - http://newboards.theonering.net/..._latest_reply;so=ASC;

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2015, 12:49pm

Post #10 of 36 (2209 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* I can't wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I'll make it this weekend... but it's definitely going to happen this coming week!!!

GREAT WRITEUP! THANKS!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bofur01
Lorien

May 2 2015, 1:32pm

Post #11 of 36 (2215 views)
Shortcut
I loved the vast majority of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially the beginning... And the Vision was awesome! But I thought Ultron's animation looked a bit... Wrong, though I can't explain what it was, but he was in the uncanny valley for me...

But the 3D was really well done, and the film was great fun! I thoroughly recommend it as well.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 2 2015, 3:08pm

Post #12 of 36 (2202 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

...it might have come from the very odd combination of "it's a machine" and "it's organic".

Much of his head was skull-like, or a bit dinosaurian, the structure being that innately scary predatory set of shapes, solid shapes that move in bony chunks, not with the subtleties of skin like a human face...

...but then they did this very detailed kind of techie "skin" that almost moves like a human face...

The combination is disconcerting, as it should be for such a character. For me it gave the effect of a very high level technology, but one that's not quite all there... not the way Vision is. Vision looks like a marvelously advanced tech that is humanoid, very appealing (not to mention that I can recognize the awesome Paul Bettany under all that makeup).

I think the "uncanny valley" thing in Ultron is likely on purpose.

And the Uncanny valley usually (when it is not on purpose) creates a very creepy effect... which is what they are going for here.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 2 2015, 4:39pm

Post #13 of 36 (2195 views)
Shortcut
I want to see it [In reply to] Can't Post

And will, just don't know when yet....love this cast and the chemistry....also got me reading about the "comic book history" of the characters, which is a whole new world for me.

It's on my must-see-in-theater list, as opposed to my other B-F lists.Cool

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 3 2015, 5:59am

Post #14 of 36 (2163 views)
Shortcut
I saw it tonight... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I have never watched any of the spinoff TV shows. I found it perfectly followable.

Though, the intro sequence might not make as much sense as it did to me if one has not seen the latest Captain America (Winter Soldier).

Holly Hobbit
Bree

May 3 2015, 12:33pm

Post #15 of 36 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Saw it with a group of grad students in 3D last night and loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

So epic! I loved it much more than I thought I would. I was a little bit mad over the past day or two when I heard the Loki cameo was cut (he's my favorite Marvel character - I even wrote an intake assessment and treatment plan for Loki during a flight back from London last year) but the movie was busy enough in retrospect and I thought it was still perfect. I love the Scarlet Witch! She'll be a great new addition in Phase 3. Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, and Chris Evans are all amazing. I'm kind of wondering how Infinity Wars will play out because the climax in this movie was chaos!

Just FYI, there is a mid credits scene to make you excited for Phase 3 but no scene at the very end of the credits. Look for the Stan Lee cameo, you can't miss it and it's priceless... Laugh

I am insanely excited for Phase 3 now. Doctor Strange will have Benedict, and then of course Thor:Ragnarok will have Loki again. The wait for Loki is turning out to be worse than the wait for Sherlock... 4 year hiatus for Loki, 2 year hiatus for Sherlock. Sigh. :|

*spoiler* The funniest part for me was when the Hulkbuster was pounding on the Hulk's face and Ironman was like "Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep..." RDJ'S delivery of that line was perfect! and I really have a new respect for RDJ after he handled that rude interviewer like a champ a few weeks ago.

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on May 3 2015, 12:44pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2015, 1:09pm

Post #16 of 36 (2140 views)
Shortcut
We went last night... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...and I have never watched any of the spinoff TV shows. I found it perfectly followable.

Though, the intro sequence might not make as much sense as it did to me if one has not seen the latest Captain America (Winter Soldier).

The opening of the movie also ties into the season finale of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD; although one does not need to have watched the show to follow the events, it's just a nice Easter egg.

Excelsior!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 3 2015, 1:11pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 3 2015, 7:32pm

Post #17 of 36 (2124 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I don't think he did. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
RDJ'S delivery of that line was perfect! and I really have a new respect for RDJ after he handled that rude interviewer like a champ a few weeks ago.

Walking out is the easy way out of a bad interview but you lose the opportunity to get your messages across to the public. A well-prepared interviewee (which Downey should be by now) would have turned that interview into a more useful direction - but Downey let his annoyance rule his head and the story was about the dust-up rather than his movie.

(Disclosure: I work in communications and train media spokespersons.)

Ataahua's stories

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 4 2015, 11:12am

Post #18 of 36 (2090 views)
Shortcut
I missed that whole drama [In reply to] Can't Post

but well said.

On the other hand, if your instinct is to whip out the Mighty Mjolnir and take heads (as mine is) sometimes the best recourse is to walk away before Mjolnirizing...

Annael
Immortal

May 4 2015, 4:02pm

Post #19 of 36 (2070 views)
Shortcut
a la Cate Blanchett? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who yelled at an interviewer, "That's your question? That's your $*(#&@) question?!"

This was after a series of stupid questions in which she kept trying to get the interviewer on track, including saying "getting back to the movie . . .one of us has to do your job . . ."

So I can imagine that the combination of having to do a whole bunch of these interviews in a very short time frame and facing an interviewer who has their own agenda that they won't let alone could cause someone to walk away rather than start throwing a major hissy fit onscreen. And it's not like RDJ Jr. is known for being a difficult interviewee.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2015, 7:39pm

Post #20 of 36 (2056 views)
Shortcut
Did you see the story [In reply to] Can't Post

that that video was a poorly-edited version of a joke interview that they were both in on? The full interview was posted a day or two afterward to show that Cate wasn't really annoyed.

It's one thing to be hip and funny but it's pointless if the joke doesn't come across to the public.

Ataahua's stories

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 5 2015, 12:12am

Post #21 of 36 (2041 views)
Shortcut
it must be insanely difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

... to be a public figure.

I can't imagine the saintliness that is required.

I can forgive my favorites for being human.

May they be found worthy of the Mighty Mjolnir...

Annael
Immortal

May 5 2015, 2:48pm

Post #22 of 36 (1989 views)
Shortcut
oh, no, I didn't know that [In reply to] Can't Post

obviously Crazy

I saw an interview once with the cast of "Friends with Money" where the interviewer - I think she was from E! - asked Jennifer Aniston a question about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Catherine Keener yelled out "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!" and then proceeded to rip the interviewer a new one. Keener wouldn't let up and the interviewer had to bring the interview to a close. (Aniston never said a word.) And yet they broadcast it and tried to play it like Aniston was still devastated by losing Brad (judging by the comments, no one bought it; most people said the interviewer made a fool of herself). I have to say I rather enjoyed Keener's defense of her friend, "professional" or not.

-- Thomas Moore

(This post was edited by Annael on May 5 2015, 2:49pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

May 6 2015, 2:03am

Post #23 of 36 (1975 views)
Shortcut
Tripe? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe not. But they relied on Deus ex machina, figuratively and literally, overmuch perhaps. Still, a very enjoyable film. Glad you liked it!

I loved the pairing of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olson again (previously together in Godzilla 2014).

Kim
Valinor

May 6 2015, 2:33am

Post #24 of 36 (1962 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother asked if I'd seen it since I make him watch Agents of Shield whenever he comes for a visit. When I said I hadn't yet, his response was, "I suspect that you’re waiting for the MFR (“Monstrous Frame Rate”) version to come out." LOL! Tongue

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 6 2015, 3:50am

Post #25 of 36 (1956 views)
Shortcut
So I saw it tonight *SPOILERS!!!* [In reply to] Can't Post

If you don't want them, don't read this! Ultron reminded me of an old movie called "Forbidden Planet" - he was essentially Tony Stark's monster from the id. And yes there was a death, I won't say who but it was understandable. There was, IMO, too much going on and too many heroes, plus it does raise the stakes on future Marvel movies. Yes, they are willing to go there. I'm honestly not sure I liked the movie because there was so much going on, but I think they were at least TRYING to show a more human side to the superheros: their fears, their mortality, and the life they pretty much have to give up. We find out one of them is actually married with kids, while another reaches out for love and gets rejected. They spend a good part of the movie literally saving the normal people from destruction, while realizing that it was their own actions (again) that put the same normal people in danger. Finally, it looks like they might be setting up a new team, bringing in some new players while it looks like a few of the older players are dropping out. I guess we'll find out in the next few movies - Thor's Ragnarok, the new Captain America (featuring Martin Freeman!), and of course the next Avengers movie.

One thing I did like though was Vision. Paul Bettany has done the voice of Jarvis since the first Iron Man movie; now Paul Bettany is playing the Vision, and not as a CGI character but with body paint and the rubber suit. Very old school, but it worked, very cool!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.