GDT still has not seen "The Hobbit" Trilogy

Silmaril
Rohan

May 5 2015, 2:02pm

Post #1 of 9 (1835 views)
Shortcut
GDT still has not seen "The Hobbit" Trilogy Can't Post

Guillermo del Toro asked if he had seen The Hobbit Trilogy yet said:
"No, it's like your ex-wife. If she's doing great, you don't want to know about it. If she's not doing great, you don't want to know about it." [3:36]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmvGyLQXp1M&feature=youtu.be&t=3m36s

I wonder if we will ever see something of GDT's work on "The Hobbit"? Once PJ talked about a book or DVD but I think GDT will not be interested in that. Or could WETA publish this without his permission?

(This post was edited by Silmaril on May 5 2015, 2:03pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

May 5 2015, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 9 (1624 views)
Shortcut
I honestly think his Hobbit would have been wildly different [In reply to] Can't Post

We know Peter, Fran and Philippa were scripting along with Guillermo, but I do believe his version of events would have had such a different feel to them. The Dwarves in particular I reckon would have turned out much harsher and Beorn would have got an actual look-in in the movies.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 5 2015, 10:28pm

Post #3 of 9 (1450 views)
Shortcut
I can understand that... [In reply to] Can't Post

In his position I think I'd prefer not to look. That's no reflection on the films or on him - just a natural reaction when someone has put a lot into a project and then not been able to carry it through.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 10 2015, 4:09am

Post #4 of 9 (912 views)
Shortcut
probably because he is pretty pissed he wasn't able to direct [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed like he dedicated a lot of his time and effort into making these films.

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on May 10 2015, 4:10am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 8:48am

Post #5 of 9 (889 views)
Shortcut
A Question? Since he got a Screen Credit.. [In reply to] Can't Post

is HE getting paid Royalties?

He is listed & even if he was NOT involved with the Final Releases
he got something...

Bom is not close enough to these things to have definitive answer,
BUT someone here could have some more extensive
Knowledge of how this works...
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 1:50pm

Post #6 of 9 (866 views)
Shortcut
Residuals [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Roäc

That depends on if these films ever show a profit. Wink

If you know anything about Hollywood accounting practices then you get the joke.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Milieuterrien
Rohan

May 10 2015, 2:28pm

Post #7 of 9 (857 views)
Shortcut
Does he earn royalties for all and any of his contributions, or only... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the ones that got through PJ's & Co's scissors.

If there surely is some Guillermo del Toro's creative ADN left in the script, it can be quite tiny if compared to all he gave.
Most probably, the point is that GDT couldn't achieve before the deadline what he had planned to, so he might have to quit without asking too much (an absence of delivery on duty gives no credit at all)
He might be happy with crumbs of his 'creative ADN' rolling on screen and in the credits, but it can become a nightmare for him to see all that has been thrown out, thus thrown out of his wallet.

That's why he might rest in ... piss, if I dare to say. (no offense !)

On the other hand, PJ may pay a heavy cash on his own health, but he delivers in time.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 2:39pm

Post #8 of 9 (852 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, messed up on the quote!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 12 2015, 9:02pm

Post #9 of 9 (735 views)
Shortcut
He is either payed a fixed amount before the movies are done, [In reply to] Can't Post

or a percentage of the total income.

Those are the two usual deals in this situation.

Which one Del Toro got is unknown, but if it is a percentage it is equal to the amount of his material remaining in these films.

Vocalist of the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.