May 5 2015, 9:50am

Post #1 of 19 (937 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 5 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 5, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo finds rest in Rivendell.
(determined from text)
..."Weariness fell from him soon in that house, and he had many a merry jest and dance, early and late, with the elves of the valley. Yet even that place could not long delay him now, and he thought always of his own home."

May 5, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The glad days of Gondor.
(not from the appendices)
..."In the days that followed the King sat on his throne in the Hall of the Kings... ...And last of all Aragorn greeted Éomer of Rohan, and they embraced, and Aragorn said: 'Between us there can be no word of giving or taking, nor of reward; for we are brethren. In happy hour did Eorl ride from the North, and never has any league of peoples been more blessed, so that neither has ever failed the other, nor shall fail. Now... ...we have laid Théoden the Renowned in a tomb in the Hallows, and there he shall lie forever among the Kings of Gondor, if you will. Or if you desire it, we will come to Rohan and bring him back to rest with his own people.'
...And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail. But now I must depart for a while to my own realm, where there is much to heal and set in order.... ...when all is made ready we will return for him; but here let him sleep a while.'
...And Éowyn said to Faramir: 'Now I must go back to my own land and look on it once again, and help my brother in his labour; but when one whom I long loved as father is laid at last to rest, I will return.'"

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 6 2015, 4:25pm

Post #2 of 19 (898 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler of someone who would touch Pippin's life... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Return of the King: The Siege of Gondor

..." Pippin watched, and he saw the horseman and the White Rider meet and halt, waiting for those on foot. Men now hurried out to them from the City; and soon they all passed from sight under the outer wall… …he knew that they were entering the Gate… …he hurried to the entrance of the citadel. There he was joined by many others who had watched the race and the rescue from the high walls.
... It was not long before a clamour was heard in the streets leading up from the outer circles, and there was much cheering and crying of the names of Faramir and Mithrandir. Presently Pippin saw torches, and… …two horsemen riding slowly: one was in white but shining no longer, pale in the twilight as if his fire was spent or veiled; the others was dark and his head was bowed. They dismounted… …they walked forward to the sentinel at the gate: Gandalf steadily, his grey cloak flung back, and a fire still smouldering in his eyes; the other, clad all in green, slowly, swaying a little as a weary or a wounded man.
... Pippin pressed forward… …and when he saw the pale face of Faramir he caught his breath. It was the face of one who has been assailed by a great fear or anguish, but has mastered it and now is quiet. Proud and grave he stood for a moment as he spoke to the guard, and Pippin gazing at him saw how closely he resembled his brother Boromir… …Yet suddenly for Faramir his heart was strangely moved with a feeling that he had not known before. Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn… …revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Eldar Race. He knew now why Beregond spoke his name with love. He was a captain that men would follow, that he would follow, even under the shadow the black wings.
... 'Faramir!' he cried aloud with the others. 'Faramir!' And Faramir, catching his strange voice among the clamour of the men of the City, turned and looked down at him and was amazed.
... 'Whence come you? …A halfling, and in the livery of the Tower! Whence...?'
... But with that Gandalf stepped to his side and spoke. 'He came with me from the land of the Halflings… …He came with me, but let us not tarry here. There is much to say and to do, and you are weary. He shall come with us. Indeed he must, for if he does not forget his new duties more easily than I do, he must attend on his lord again within this hour. Come, Pippin, follow us!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 7 2015, 11:01pm

Post #3 of 19 (873 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler describing what Frodo saw on Amon Hen as he wore the Ring... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

The Breaking of the Fellowship

... "[Frodo] came out alone on the summit of Amon Hen, and halted, gasping for breath. He saw as through a mist a wide flat circle, paved with mighty flags, and surrounded with a crumbling battlement; and in the middle, set upon four carven pillars... ...a high seat, reached by a stair of many steps. Up he went and sat upon the ancient chair, feeling like a lost child that had clambered upon the throne of mountain-kings.... At first he could see little... ...a world of mist in which there were only shadows: the Ring was upon him. Then here and there the mist gave way and he saw many visions: small and clear as if they were under his eyes upon a table, and yet remote... ...no sound, only bright living images. The world seemed to have shrunk and fallen silent. He was sitting upon the Seat of Seeing, on Amon Hen, the Hill of the Eye of the Men of Númenor. Eastward he looked into wide uncharted lands, nameless plains, and forests unexplored. Northward... ...the Great River lay like a ribbon beneath him, and the Misty Mountains stood small and hard as broken teeth. Westward he looked and saw the broad pastures of Rohan; and Orthanc, the pinnacle of Isengard, like a black spike. Southward... ...and below his very feet the Great River curled like a toppling wave and plunged over the falls of Rauros into a foaming pit... ...And Ethir Anduin he saw, the mighty delta of the River, and myriads of sea-birds whirling like a white dust in the sun, and beneath them a green and silver sea, rippling in endless lines."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 8 2015, 10:58am

Post #4 of 19 (868 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 8, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo leave Rivendell for Hobbiton.
..."[Bilbo] said farewell to Elrond, and giving him such small gifts as he would accept, he rode away with Gandalf.
...Even as they left the valley the sky darkened in the West... ...and wind and rain came up to meet them.
..."Merry is May-time!" said Bilbo, as the rain beat into his face. "But our back is to legends and we are coming home. I suppose this is a first taste of it."
..."There is a long road yet," said Gandalf.
..."But it is the last road," said Bilbo.
...They came to the river that marked the very edge of the borderland of the Wild, and to the ford beneath the steep bank... ...The water was swollen both with the melting of the snows at the approach of summer, and with the daylong rain; but they crossed with some difficulty, and pressed forward, as evening fell, on the last stage of their journey."

May 8, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Éomer and Éowyn depart for Rohan with the sons of Elrond.
(from the appendices)
..."So the glad days passed; and the Riders of Rohan made ready, and rode away by the North-way; and it was lined with people to do them honour and praise them, from the Gate of the City to the walls of the Pelennor.... ...in the City there was labour of many willing hands to rebuild and renew and to remove all the scars of war and the memory of the darkness.
...The Hobbits still remained in Minas Tirith, with Legolas and Gimli; for Aragorn was loth for the Fellowship to be dissolved. 'At last all such things must end,' he said, 'but I should have you wait a little while longer... ...A day draws near that I have looked for in all the years of my manhood, and when it comes I would have my friends beside me.' But of that day he would say no more.
...In those days the Companions of the Ring dwelt together in a fair house with Gandalf, and they went to and fro as they wished. And Frodo said to Gandalf: 'Do you know what this day is that Aragorn speaks of? For we are happy here... ...but the days are running away, and Bilbo is waiting; and the Shire is my home.'
...'As for Bilbo... ...he is waiting for the same day, and he knows what keeps you. And as for the passing of the days, it is now only May and high summer is not yet in; and though all things may seem changed, as if an age of the world had gone by, yet to the trees and the grass it is less than a year since you set out.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 8 2015, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 19 (859 views)
Shortcut
Less than a year... [In reply to] Can't Post

That never ceases to amaze me: when you journey with them on the Quest, it feels like it's taking forever at times; and yet it was a mere 6 months from when Frodo set out from Bag End, to when the Quest was achieved!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 9 2015, 11:57am

Post #6 of 19 (842 views)
Shortcut
Truly! [In reply to] Can't Post

They packed years worth of action, danger and emotions into 6 months. I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 9 2015, 12:01pm

Post #7 of 19 (845 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 9-?, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo's adventure is already getting old.
(determined from text)
..."...the party went along very merrily, and they told stories or sang songs as they rode forward all day, except of course when they stopped for meals. These didn't come quite as often as Bilbo would have liked them, but still he began to feel that adventures were not so bad after all.
...At first they had passed through hobbit-lands, a wild respectable country inhabited by decent folk, with good roads, and inn or two, and now and then a dwarf or a farmer ambling by on business. Then they came to lands where people spoke strangely, and sang songs Bilbo had never heard before."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 10 2015, 10:24am

Post #8 of 19 (823 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS for Mom! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some Book Spoilers of Middle-earth Mothers on this Mother's Day -- A blessed Mother's Day to all, past and present!

From A Knife in the Dark: The Fellowship of the Ring
..."'From [Lúthien Tinúviel] the lineage of the Elf-lords of old descended among Men. There live still those of whom Lúthien was the foremother, and it is said that her line shall never fail. Elrond of Rivendell is of that Kin. For of Beren and Lúthien was born Dior Thingol's heir; and of him Elwing the White whom Eärendil wedded, he that sailed his ship out of the mists of the world into the seas of heaven with the Silmaril upon his brow. And of Eärendil came the Kings of Númenor, that is Westernesse.'"

From Farewell to Lórien: The Fellowship of the Ring
..."And Aragorn answered: 'Lady, you know all my desire and long held in keeping the only treasure that I seek. Yet it is not yours to give me, even if you would; and only through darkness shall I come to it.'
...'Yet maybe this will lighten your heart,' said Galadriel; for it was left in my care to be given to you, should you pass through this land.' Then she lifted from her lap a great stone of a clear green, set in a silver brooch that was wrought in the likeness of an eagle with outspread wings; and as she held it up the gem flashed like the sun shining through the leaves of spring. 'This stone I gave to Celebrían my daughter, and she to hers; and now it comes to you as a token of hope. In this hour take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil!'
...Then Aragorn took the stone and pinned the brooch upon his breast, and those who saw him wondered; for they had not marked before how tall and kingly he stood, and it seemed to them that many years of toil had fallen from his shoulders. 'For the gifts that you have given me I thank you,' he said, 'O Lady of Lórien of whom were sprung Celebrían and Arwen Evenstar. What praise could I say more?'"

**Sméagol's family was of high repute, for it was large and wealthier than most, and was headed by a grandmother, stern and wise in old lore, such as they had. When Sméagol started lying and thieving, his grandmother expelled him from the family and turned him out of her hole.

Mothers of Middle-earth

Bilbo Baggins - Belladonna Took
Frodo Baggins - Primula Brandybuck
Sam Gamgee – Bell Goodchild
Pippin Took – Eglantine Banks
Merry Brandybuck – Esmeralda Took

Fatty Bolger – Rosamunda Bolger
Lotho – Lobelia [Bracegirdle] Sackville-Baggins
Drogo Baggins – Ruby Bolger
Aragorn - Gilraen

Elrond - Elwing
Arwen/Elrohir/Elladan - Celebrían
Eldarion - Arwen
Lúthien – Melian
Dior/Nimloth - Lúthien

Celebrían – Galadriel
Galadriel - Eärwen
Lúthien - Melian of Doriath
Faramir/Boromir - Finduilas
Elboron - Éowyn

Rose Cotton – Lily Brown
...Rosie Cotton is Mother to Elanor the Fair, Frodo Gardner, Rose, Merry, Pippin, Goldilocks, Hamfast, Daisy, Primrose, Bilbo, Ruby, Robin, Tolman (Tom)
Dis (Thorin's sister) – Fili and Kili

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on May 10 2015, 10:33am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 10 2015, 1:41pm

Post #9 of 19 (812 views)
Shortcut
Happy Mother's Day to all moms! [In reply to] Can't Post

Salutations to all the mothers of Middle-earth and the modern World!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 10 2015, 3:12pm

Post #10 of 19 (809 views)
Shortcut
Happy Mother's Day! // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 11 2015, 9:12am

Post #11 of 19 (798 views)
Shortcut

This is a Book Spoiler that looks at how we fit into stories... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Stairs of Cirith Ungol: The Two Towers

... "'I wonder,' said Frodo. '...that's the way of a real tale. Take any one that you're fond of. You may know, or guess, what kind of a tale it is, happy-ending or sad-ending, but the people in it don't know. And you don't want them to.'
... 'No, sir, of course not... ...Don't the great tales never end?'
... 'No, they never end as tales,' said Frodo. 'But the people in them come, and go when their part's ended. Our part will end later—or sooner.'
... 'And then we can have some rest and some sleep,' said Sam. He laughed grimly. 'And I mean just that, Mr. Frodo. I mean plain ordinary rest, and sleep, and waking up to a morning' work in the garden. I'm afraid that's all I'm hoping for all the time. All the big important plans are not for my sort....'
... '...You and I, Sam, are still stuck in the worst places of the story...'
... 'Maybe,' said Sam, 'but I wouldn't be one to say that. Things done and over and made into part of the great tales are different. Why, even Gollum might be good in a tale, better than he is to have by you, anyway. And he used to like tales himself once, by his own account. I wonder if he thinks he's the hero or the villain?
... 'Gollum!' he called. 'Would you like to be the hero--now where's he got to again?'
... There was no sign of him at the mouth of their shelter nor in the shadows near. He had refused their food, though he had, as usual, accepted a mouthful of water; and then he had seemed to curl up for a sleep.... ...and now he had evidently slipped off again while they talked. But what for this time?
... 'I don't like his sneaking off without saying,' said Sam. 'And least of all now. He can't be looking for food up here, not unless there's some kind of rock he fancies. Why, there isn't even a bit of moss!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 12 2015, 9:13am

Post #12 of 19 (780 views)
Shortcut

Here is a Book Spoiler of Pippin's first meeting with Beregond... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Minas Tirith: The Return of the King

..."Pippin looked at him: tall and proud and noble, as all the men that he had yet seen in that land; and with a glitter in his eye as he thought of the battle...
.......they talked until the sun reached it height, and suddenly the noon-bells were rung, and there was a stir in the citadel; for all save the watchmen were going to their meal.
...'Will you come with me?' said Beregond. 'You may join my mess for this day. I do not know to what company you will be assigned; or the Lord may hold you at his own command. But you will be welcome... ...it will be well to meet as many men as you may, while there is yet time.'
...'I shall be glad to come,' said Pippin. 'I am lonely, to tell you the truth. I left my best friend behind in Rohan, and I have had no one to talk to or jest with. Perhaps I could really join your company? Are you the captain? If so, you could take me on, or speak for me?'
...'Nay, nay,' Beregond laughed, 'I am no captain. Neither office nor rank nor lordship have I, being but a plain man of arms of the Third Company of the Citadel. Yet, Master Peregrin, to be only a man of arms of the Guard of the Tower of Gondor is held worthy in the City, and such men have honour in the land.'
...'Then it is far beyond me... ...I will go where you like—as your guest...'
... ...Pippin went with Beregond and was made known to the men of the Third Company... ...it seemed that Beregond got as much honour from it as his guest, for Pippin was very welcome. There had already been much talk in the citadel about Mithrandir's companion and his long closeting with the Lord; and rumour declared that a Prince of the Halflings had come out of the North to offer allegiance to Gondor and five thousand swords. And some said that when the Riders came from Rohan each would bring behind him a halfling warrior, small maybe, but doughty.

...Though Pippin had regretfully to destroy this hopeful tale, he could not be rid of this new rank, only fitting, men thought, to one befriended by Boromir and honoured by the Lord Denethor; and they thanked him for coming among them, and hung on his words and stories of the outlands, and gave him as much food and ale as he could wish. Indeed his only trouble was to be 'wary' according to the counsel of Gandalf, and not to let his tongue wag freely after the manner of a hobbit among friends."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 14 2015, 2:00am

Post #13 of 19 (750 views)
Shortcut

This Book Spoiler looks at the moment when Bilbo and Company first lay eyes on Rivendell for a comparison with that moment in the film... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Short Rest: The Hobbit

... "They came to the edge of a steep fall in the ground so suddenly that Gandalf's horse nearly slipped down the slope.
..."Here it is at last!" he called, and the others gathered round him and looked over the edge. They saw a valley far below. They could hear the voice of hurrying water in a rocky bed at the bottom; the scent of trees was in the air; and there was a light on the valley-side across the water.
...Bilbo never forgot the way they slithered and slipped in the dusk down the steep zig-zag path into the secret valley of Rivendell. The air grew warmer as they got lower, and the smell of the pine-trees made him drowsy... ...The trees changed to beech and oak, and there was a comfortable feeling in the twilight. The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream....
......At last one, a tall young fellow [Elf], came out from the trees and bowed to Gandalf and to Thorin.
..."Welcome to the valley!" he said... ..."You are a little out of your way," said the elf: "that is, if you are making for the only path across the water and to the house beyond. We will set you right, but you had best get on foot, until you are over the bridge... ...On they all went, leading their ponies, till they were brought to a good path and so at last to the very brink of the river. It was flowing fast and noisily, as mountain-streams do of a summer evening, when sun has been all day on the snow far up above. There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by the bridle...
......And so at last they all came to the Last Homely House, and found its doors flung wide."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 14 2015, 10:10am

Post #14 of 19 (745 views)
Shortcut

What's in a name? How about a Book Spoiler addressing this question... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Shadow of the Past: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."Suddenly he stopped as if listening. Frodo became aware that all was very quiet, inside and outside. Gandalf crept to one side of the window. Then with a dart he sprang to the sill, and thrust a long arm out and downwards. There was a squawk, and up came Sam Gamgee's curly head hauled by one ear.
...'Well, well, bless my beard!' said Gandalf. 'Sam Gamgee is it? Now what may you be doing?'

From At the Sign of the Prancing Pony: The Fellowship of the Ring

...Frodo found that Strider was now looking at him, as if he had heard or guessed all that had been said... ...with a wave of his hand and a nod, he invited Frodo to come over and sit by him. As Frodo drew near he threw back his hood, showing a shaggy head of dark hair flecked with grey, and in a pale stern face a pair of keen grey eyes.
...'I am called Strider,' he said in a low voice. 'I am very pleased to meet you, Master—Underhill, if old Butterbur got your name right.'
...'He did,' said Frodo stiffly. He felt far from comfortable under the stare of those keen eyes.

In the House of Tom Bombadil: The Fellowship of the Ring

...'Eh, what?' said Tom sitting up, and his eyes glinting in the gloom. 'Don't you know yet? That's the only answer. Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?

From Treebeard: The Fellowship of the Ring

...Pippin, though still amazed, no longer felt afraid. Under those eyes he felt a curious suspense, but not fear. 'Please... ...who are you? And what are you?'
...A queer look came into the old eyes, a kind of wariness; the deep wells were covered over. 'Hrum, now,' answered the voice; 'well, I am an Ent, or that's what they call me. Yes, Ent is the word. The Ent, I am, you might say, in your manner of speaking. Fangorn is my name according to some, Treebeard others make it. Treebeard will do.'
...'An Ent?' said Merry. 'What's that? But what do you call yourself? What's your real name?'
...'Hoo now!' replied Treebeard. 'Hoo! Now that would be telling! Not so hasty.'"

The Riders Of Rohan

..."Come! Who are you? Whom do you serve? At whose command do you hunt Orcs in our land?'
...'I serve no man,' said Aragorn; 'but the servants of Sauron I pursue into whatever land they may go. There are few among mortal Men who know more of Orcs... ...I do not hunt them in this fashion out of choice. The Orcs whom we pursued took captive two of my friends. In such need a man that has no horse will go on foot, and he will not ask for leave to follow the trail. Nor will he count the heads of the enemy save with a sword. I am not weaponless.'
...Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!'

From The White Rider: The Fellowship of the Ring

...'Mithrandir!' he cried. 'Mithrandir!'
...'Well met, I say to you again, Legolas!' said the old man. They all gazed at him. His hair was white as snow in the sunshine; and gleaming white was his robe; the eyes under his deep brows were bright, piercing as the rays of the sun; power was in his hand. Between wonder, joy, and fear they stood and found no words to say.
...At last Aragorn stirred. 'Gandalf!' he said. 'Beyond all hope you return to us in our need! What veil was over my sight? Gandalf!' Gimli said nothing, but sank to his knees...
...'...Gandalf,' the old man repeated, as if recalling from old memory a long disused word. 'Yes, that was the name. I was Gandalf.'
...He stepped down from the rock, and picking up his grey cloak wrapped it about him: it seemed as if the sun had been shining, but now was hid in cloud again. 'Yes, you may still call me Gandalf,' he said... ...the voice was the voice of their old friend and guide.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

..."What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off."
..."Not at all, not at all, my dear sir! Let me see, I don't think I know your name?"
..."Yes, yes, my dear sir—and I do know your name, Mr. Bilbo Baggins. And you do know my name, though you don't remember that I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!"

From Queer Lodgings: The Hobbit

... Soon they reached a courtyard, three walls of which were formed by the wooden house and its two long wings. In the middle there was lying a great oak-trunk with many lopped branches beside it. Standing near was a huge man with a thick black beard and hair and great bare arms and legs with knotted muscles... ...clothed in a tunic of wool down to his knees, and was leaning on a large axe. The horses were standing by him with their noses at his shoulder.
... "Ugh! here they are" he said to the horses. "They don’t look dangerous. You can be off!" He laughed a great rolling laugh, put down his axe and came forward.
... "Who are you and what do you want?" he asked gruffly, standing in front of them and towering tall above Gandalf. As for Bilbo he could easily have trotted through his legs without ducking his head to miss the fringe of the man’s brown tunic.
... "I am Gandalf," said the wizard.
... "Never heard of him," growled the man."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15 2015, 10:15am

Post #15 of 19 (726 views)
Shortcut

This Book Spoiler shows us how to delicately wrap up a party... for a moment of Tolkien-zen

The Fellowship of the Ring: A Long-Expected Party

... "Otho would have been Bilbo's heir, but for the adoption of Frodo. He read the will carefully... ...It was, unfortunately, very clear and correct (according to the legal customs of hobbits, which demand among other things seven signatures of witnesses in red ink).
... 'Foiled again!' he said to his wife. 'And after waiting sixty years...' ...He snapped his fingers under Frodo's nose and stumped off. But Lobelia was not so easily got rid of. A little later Frodo came out of the study to see how things were going on and found her still about the place, investigating nooks and corners and tapping the floors. He escorted her firmly off the premises, after he had relieved her of several small (but... ...valuable) articles that had somehow fallen inside her umbrella. Her face looked as if she was in the throes of thinking out a really crushing parting remark; but all she found to say... ...was:
... 'You'll live to regret it, young fellow! Why didn't you go too? You don't belong here; you're no Baggins--you--you're a Brandybuck!'
... 'Did you hear that, Merry? That was an insult, if you like,' said Frodo as he shut the door on her.
... 'It was a compliment,' said Merry Brandybuck, 'and so, of course, not true.'

... Then they went round the hole, and evicted three young hobbits (two Boffins and a Bolger)... ...knocking holes in the walls of one of the cellars. Frodo also had a tussle with young Sancho Proudfoot... ...who had begun an excavation in the larger pantry, where he thought there was an echo. The legend of Bilbo's gold excited both curiosity and hope; for legendary gold (mysteriously obtained, if not positively ill-gotten) is, as every one knows, any one's for the finding--unless the search is interrupted.
... When he had overcome Sancho and pushed him out, Frodo collapsed on a chair in the hall. 'It's time to close the shop, Merry... ...Lock the door, and don't open it to any one today, not even if they bring a battering ram.' Then he went to revive himself with a belated cup of tea."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 15 2015, 1:46pm

Post #16 of 19 (721 views)
Shortcut
Meriadoc Brandybuck [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how close Frodo and Merry are already in this chapter. Meriadoc is barely in his tweens at only twenty-one years old--just an adolescent by Hobbit standards--yet he is very mature for his age.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2015, 10:34am

Post #17 of 19 (708 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 16, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company passes Amon Sûl.
..."Bilbo and Company follow the road that continues northeast past Weathertop and reaches the southeastern foot where they come to the last foothill below and camp at its foot."

~~Now here's a Book Spoiler that takes a look at Amon Sûl/Weathertop... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Strider: The Fellowship of the Ring

..."'Weathertop?' said Sam. 'What's that?'
...'It is a hill, just to the north of the Road, about halfway from here to Rivendell. It commands a wide view all round; and there we shall have a chance to look about us...
...'...There is no barrow on Weathertop, nor on any of these hills,' answered Strider. 'The Men of the West did not live here; though in their latter days they defended the hills for a while against the evil that came out of Angmar. This path was made to serve the forts along the walls... ...in the first days of the North Kingdom, they built a great watch-tower on Weathertop. Amon Sûl they called it. It was burned and broken, and nothing remains of it now but a tumbled ring, like a rough crown on the old hill's head. Yet once it was tall and fair. It is told that Elendil stood there watching for the coming of Gil-galad out of the West, in the days of the Last Alliance.'"

May 16, 2001
1. Cannes Film Festival has first look at Middle-earth.
... Peter Jackson introduces a 24-minute presentation at the Cannes Film Festival. The preview of Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings features a completed sequence from the Mines of Moria (as the Fellowship enters the Great Hall to just before the Balrog appears), and a brief glimpse at footage from other scenes of the trilogy. Jaded industry representatives are reportedly blown away by what they see.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 16 2015, 10:39am

Post #18 of 19 (703 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever I stop to think of what each of the Hobbits do that contributed to the success of the Quest, the close friendships made all the difference... such beautiful trust and devotion.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 17 2015, 3:00pm

Post #19 of 19 (687 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 17, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company continues northeast on the road, dropping slowly into the 'Lone-lands'..
..."...they had gone on far into the Lone-lands, where there were no people left, no inns, and the roads grew steadily worse. Not far ahead were dreary hills, rising higher and higher, dark with trees. On some of them were old castles with an evil look, as if they had been built by wicked people. Everything seemed gloomy, for the weather that day had taken a nasty turn."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.