**The Fellowship of the Ring Discussion, "A Journey in the Dark," part 2
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 2:29pm

Post #51 of 56 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Orc-ward [In reply to] Can't Post

Oddly enough, I've been reading about William Blake, who was writing about a character called "Orc" in the 18th century

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc_%28Blake%29

Doubt it's much to do with Tolkien orcs though...

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Meneldor
Valinor

May 8 2015, 3:11pm

Post #52 of 56 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Orc is also used as a name for a sea monster in Orlando Furioso. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 3:36pm

Post #53 of 56 (1172 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad Tolkien didn't slap "(TM)" on everything [In reply to] Can't Post

One evening when my son was younger, his choice of material to read one evening was an adventure of He-Man(TM) who, with his friends Sorceress(TM) and Man-At-Arms(TM) had to go to Castle Greyskull(TM) and...

...well you get the picture. It wasn't a very memorable story. I just recall that there were often several "(TM)s" in a sentence.

I had to explain that it wasn't necessary to read the "(TM)s" aloud.

The constant "(TM)" rather spoiled story, I think. It ought to stand for "Toys! Merchandise!" , as you get the impression that the story you're reading is a kind of marketing for those products.

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 5:37pm

Post #54 of 56 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Not to be confused with Mith Rhyl, a Welsh beauty queen with an attractive lisp. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Elizabeth
Half-elven

May 13 2015, 11:17pm

Post #55 of 56 (1083 views)
Shortcut
What did they know, and when did they know it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Something Terrible killed Durin and his son, and it was known as Durin's Bane. It's possible there were enough witnesses capable of identifying it as a Balrog, but it's also possible that the identification wasn't made until the later attack on the Fellowship, when Legolas and Gandalf, who know what one looked like (at least, from First Age eyewitnesses) identified it.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 3 2016, 11:37pm

Post #56 of 56 (438 views)
Shortcut
Meanwhile, in alter-TORN. [In reply to] Can't Post

Came across this over the weekend, thought it was worth savink:

Current list of users we’d like to ban (entmaiden 3/29/16 9:15 p.m.)
Let's start a list of users who can't be banned the regular way because they aren't violating the TOS, but hope to ban them one day. I'll start:
• silneldor for posting that picture of himself in a pink bathing suit
• Darkstone for all his subject lines that start with "Well". Makes it impossible to search his comments to find something worthy of banning
• Anyone who things Balrogs don't have wings (they do)

Forgot to add squire (entmaiden 3/29/16 9:21 p.m.)
He doesn't like our emoticons, so he's got to go.

Well . . . (squire 4/1/16 9:58 p.m.)
Shocked I am shocked - shocked! - that no one has ever questioned how the well in Moria, that Pippin dropped a stone into, actually worked. A well is, of course, a water pit dug to give access to fresh ground water. You lower a bucket into it to get the water you need. How on earth did the dwarves lower a bucket into a well so deep that, as we read, Pippin's stone took several seconds to hit the water?

The obvious answer is that the 'ground water' levels in Moria used to be higher. But how could that be? Ground water in a mine doesn't go down by itself; typically, if unattended, it rises to the natural water table level. In fact, the very beginnings of steam engine technology stems from 17th and 18th century British attempts to pump the water out of coal mines. And who does Tolkien accuse of being the type who would devise 'satanic mills' and other technologies that disturb the natural world? The orcs. And who rules in Moria when Pippin plumbs the depths of a well? The orcs. Evil

Leaving just one question: where does the smoke from the combustion of the orcs' steam engines go, working night and day to lower the ground water level in Moria? We might naturally answer: via the natural chimney of the Endless Stair, so that the peaks of Moria were swathed in fumes. Gandalf confirms this, of course: "A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam." But is this enough to explain the great depth of Pippin's well? Probably not: as Treebeard understands, when he addresses Pippin's thirst a little later on in the story: ‘Well, well...,’ said Treebeard. ‘You are thirsty I expect.'

Cool

Source

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.