The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Odd clips in DVD

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

May 3 2015, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 12 (1901 views)
Shortcut
Odd clips in DVD Can't Post

I was watching the extra features on the bluray BOTFA - the one that shows the creation of the 6 films - and the FOTR clips - particularly the ones in Bag End - looked bizarre. They looked really dark and really green, as if there was something wrong with the telly. Everything else was fine, and as I remembered. Anyone else noticed this - a bad copy or careless compiling of the clips? I know it's only a small extra feature - I'm just used to them being of uniformly high quality.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Faleel
Rohan

May 3 2015, 7:07pm

Post #2 of 12 (1806 views)
Shortcut
probably [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably re-graded colouring.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

May 3 2015, 7:59pm

Post #3 of 12 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship of the Ring received a new color grade on the Extended Edition Blu-ray... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because they struck a new transfer from the original 2K digital files, and PJ and Lesnie took the opportunity to give the film a complete digital grading (which wasn't originally done for FotR back in '01).

The clips you're seeing on that feature are from that new master.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

QuackingTroll
Valinor

May 3 2015, 10:49pm

Post #4 of 12 (1668 views)
Shortcut
Dark clips are from the EE Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

https://youtu.be/Vwcm-73kZE8

It looks darker and is unfortunately tinted green. But the picture is much much better so I have to forgive it. Hopefully the 4K transfer will have better colour.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 4 2015, 2:05am

Post #5 of 12 (1602 views)
Shortcut
possible updated/fixed grade [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have sworn there was a recent video that showed clips from FotR that actually didn't have the green tint, and a lot of us hoped that meant there was a fixed grade in the works for the next blu-ray release.

I'll have to look for it.

EDIT: I found it.

It's at 5:49.

Isn't this video essentially the same thing that appears on the BotFA bonus disc though? I've only watched the blu-ray features once, but I'm pretty sure this is essentially an edited down version.

Maybe they just touched up the color for this particular video to keep those two shots of the Shire from looking too different (I kind of doubt they'd even bother doing that). I'm hoping it's a hint of a fixed grade though.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on May 4 2015, 2:16am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

May 4 2015, 2:21am

Post #6 of 12 (1596 views)
Shortcut
My avatar pic is from the EE Blu-ray... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a big improvement on the DVD, in terms of colour. You can see the colour of Bilbo's hair and clothes, where on the DVD the whole thing is just blue.

I used to have the DVD image as my avatar, here's a comparison: http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=363620;#363620

A rather fitting link Smile

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 4 2015, 3:10am

Post #7 of 12 (1577 views)
Shortcut
flesh tones [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuff like that helps me tolerate the green tint. Weathertop looks much better now, and the flesh tones added to the scene with Gwaihir rescuing Gandalf are a nice touch too. There was definitely too much "it's night time so everything needs to be just blue" in the original version.

There are only a few parts of the movie (mostly the Shire) where the green tint is distracting for me. But the new work they did on the color is actually pretty great. It's just a shame that the green tint is covering it throughout the whole movie.

sycorax82
Rohan

May 4 2015, 3:14pm

Post #8 of 12 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Who knows what they were thinking with the green tint... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder whether they had the monitor calibrated correctly or what when they were working on that!?

I'm praying they go back and re-grade it for a future release. Along with making a few more changes like getting rid of the old Gollum design.

AshNazg
Gondor

May 4 2015, 11:32pm

Post #9 of 12 (1204 views)
Shortcut
Re-grading and changing the original trilogy... [In reply to] Can't Post

With the 4K future coming closer I hope they release the theatrical editions in remastered 4K with all the original colour and CG, as seen in the cinemas, in cases decorated with the original posters and promo art. All "untouched" as it was supposed to be seen, with nothing new or additional other than the perfect picture and sound quality.

And then later release a special Extended Edition, with new CG, new bonus features, new commentary, possibly even some better editing in places and maybe in 3D.

That would be the perfect scenario for me. Two versions, one untouched for when I'm feeling nostalgic and one super-special edition so we can experience it again like new.

I'd love for Disney to do the same with Star Wars also.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on May 4 2015, 11:33pm)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

May 5 2015, 7:31pm

Post #10 of 12 (1028 views)
Shortcut
I knew about the issue, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've only seen online examples, and many were saying they were exaggerated. So, to see it, just as bad as feared, on an actual DVD - I wasn't sure whether they'd just screwed up the transfer for the special features or whether it's as bad as that on the actual blu ray. It is the Shire scenes that seem to be worst example - unfortunately my favourite bit of all the books/films.

I work with colour professionally at times - particularly greens, and I can't believe they did this on purpose - not a green tint over the whole frame, including blue sky. I can only assume that it's a mistake that is just too expensive to admit to - but does that mean we're stuck with that grading for any future releases?

When watching a series of clips from all the films, as in this feature, the Shire scenes do jump out as being vandalised with green - everythng else looks balanced and fabulous: even when there is a dominant colour used in the grading, it doesn't take the form of an overall tint.

Bofur01
Lorien

May 5 2015, 8:35pm

Post #11 of 12 (1004 views)
Shortcut
The green tinted sky is in AUJ too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I more dislike the OTT contrast in the new FotR grade rather than the green tint.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

May 7 2015, 10:59pm

Post #12 of 12 (815 views)
Shortcut
The tint in AUJ isn't so bad, for some reason. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether it's a weaker tint, or due to other factors - the different contrast/shadow treatment, the difference between a film and a digital source (The Red cameras are noted for their particular effects on colours). Having said that, the corrected ie. green tint removed version of AUJ does have much nicer blue skies, although possibly there is too much magenta elsewhere.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.