The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Lack of Fighting for Fíli

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

May 2 2015, 11:34pm

Post #1 of 23 (2804 views)
Shortcut
Lack of Fighting for Fíli Can't Post

I know a lot of people don't like that Fíli's role in the films was underplayed compared to Kíli's, and you had to look a lot deeper to see his character developing, and I'm on that boat, but it wasn't only the lack of character moments and lines for Fíli that bugged me. It was his lack of on screen, foreground fighting.
I mean, in the books (Art and Design, etc.) that go with the films, he has 10+ throwing knives, his double swords, and mini throwing axes. They even make a huge deal of all the weapons he has in the movies too. He is the only dwarf who gives Bilbo all his weapons, and says, "Careful with these, I just had them sharpened." In DoS, the elves take tons of weapons from him when they imprison the dwarves. You'd think that this character would have some sick fighting shots right? Wrong. In the trilogy we barely get to see him fight.
In AUJ, he has one short shot where he slices at one of the troll's hands and frees Ori, just before Bilbo gets caught, but you can barely even tell it is him. Then in the goblin chase we see him cut the rope to the bridge that they are all on and jump. Other than that, I can't think of any times that he is in the foreground (except for briefly when him, Dwalin, and Kíli charge the wargs in the Out of the Frying Pan sequence), and both are just singular strokes of his sword (one at a rope).
In DoS, we see him on top of a spider for a brief second before Kíli swoops into the foreground and steals the spotlight. Then we see him throw a knife at the barrel escape scene to save Kíli (who we get to see fighting half a dozen orcs in this sequence), and then, as they race down the river, he takes yet another singular stroke and knocks an orc into the river. Later, we see him wrestling against an orc in Bard's house, but he doesn't even use a weapon in that sequence.
In BoFA we see one shot were he rolls off of his ram, and kills an orc, but again, Kíli quickly leaps into the foreground and takes the spotlight. Sigh.
Hopefully in the extended edition we get to see more Fíli battle action, and some from other dwarves not named Dwalin, Thorin and Kíli.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

May 3 2015, 12:18am

Post #2 of 23 (2667 views)
Shortcut
Lack of Fili everywhere [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it's strange to have him be the "walking arsenal" dwarf and be referred to as one of the company's best warriors, and then never really see him in action. I've come across plenty of behind-the-scenes moments with Fili fighting, and it looked great. But unfortunately, none of them made the cut in AUJ and DOS. But there's still hope for BOTFA. Maybe.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 3 2015, 2:32am

Post #3 of 23 (2630 views)
Shortcut
Ugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

What is even more infuriating is that Dean O'Gorman has a black belt. Aidan Turner has said he's a great fighter "by a landslide". So not only do we have a character who is one of Thorin's "best warriors", but the actor who plays him is an experienced fighter. Yet we never see Fili highlighted in a fight scene because the moment either goes by too quick, it's in the background, or someone steals the spotlight Mad.

I'm not going to lie...the moments that go by in the blink of an eye and the background moments don't bother me as much as the stealing of the spotlight moments. I could go into a rant about it, but I won't. All I'll say is hopefully in the EE there there will be some footage of a Fili fighting in the foreground and the spotlight won't be taken from him.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 3 2015, 2:37am

Post #4 of 23 (2631 views)
Shortcut
chariot [In reply to] Can't Post

At least we know he's on the chariot. I'm sure he'll be sitting behind Kili the whole time just out of frame though.Wink

I'll be really disappointed if that's the only new Fili scene we get (not including the funeral). I demand at least two somewhat significant Fili dialogue scenes/moments. And it'd be nice if they re-edited the part where he says "I'm going over the wall..." to actually SHOW it's him saying it. It is him right? Or was it Kili? I guess there's a chance that those lines were just added during post production and there's no actual shot of him saying them.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

May 3 2015, 2:56am

Post #5 of 23 (2629 views)
Shortcut
I'm going over the wall... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's Fili's line. Along with "Should we do nothing?" or whatever. Maybe it was added later, but I suspect it was messy editing (again). There could have been some Fili moment that was cut there, and they just inserted the lines instead. But that's probably wishful thinking.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

May 3 2015, 3:10am

Post #6 of 23 (2614 views)
Shortcut
editing [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the editing choices in BotFA seem very odd to me. And I'm not just talking about scenes that were left out. I know they were going for a "thriller pace", but some scenes felt like rough cuts rather than the final product.

marary
Lorien

May 3 2015, 9:36am

Post #7 of 23 (2531 views)
Shortcut
randomly materializing battle rams! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right there was a lot of weird editing and things that felt like missing moments. In the case of the battle rams, I was a bit like "huh?" but sort of rolled with it because I liked the idea so much.

And where's DWALIN?? Another awesome combat dwarf who got waaaay underused. I feel pretty sure we'll get more Dwalin combat in the EE, though.

I agree that Fili's "I'm going over the wall" should have had a shot of him actually saying it. 'Twas a pretty good character moment, if you ask me. But it was lacking a good view of the 'Stache Braids of Awesome. Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

May 3 2015, 5:04pm

Post #8 of 23 (2433 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least we know he's on the chariot. I'm sure he'll be sitting behind Kili the whole time just out of frame though.Wink

Pffft - I noticed that re Fili's "ram roll" - at Ravehill IMO what COULD have been (and should have been IMO) a big moment for Fili, re his fighting ability and a WORTHY HEIR OF THE WARRIOR-KING THORIN gets derailed because unlike the other two films, it's absolutely critical that the audience gets another look at Kili in the foreground.Unimpressed

It's not that Aidan Turner isn't terrific as Kili. It's one of the more baffling aspects for PJ's choices tho in seemingly forgetting that ALL of the dwarf actors are great - Ori sitting behind Kili twisting his mitted hands as he listens to the sounds of the battle tugs my heart, every timeFrown.

While it might be wise with a huge cast to focus the audience, maybe PJ & co. don't get online and were unaware that the audience was already focused on the brothers - and the PR and books show ALL the Durins. DOS' moment between Thorin and Fili is one of the more powerful and "I belong with my brother" resonated with folks. Heck, they even could (and should have IMO) had Fili show some feelings of being torn when Bard shows up, or arguing with Thorin....

As opposed to watching Legolas stare for a while and reshash some LOTR lines - "....bred for a single purpose, etc."Unimpressed

Since a year had passed between BOFA and DOS, the way BOFA was edited, I'm not even sure some of the audience knew of Fili's (supposed) importanceFrown. "One day you will be king...."

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 3 2015, 6:35pm

Post #9 of 23 (2386 views)
Shortcut
"Stache BRAIDS of Awesome"....NEW MEME..? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Fili's "I'm going over the wall" should have had a shot of him actually saying it. 'Twas a pretty good character moment, if you ask me. But it was lacking a good view of the 'Stache Braids of Awesome. Wink

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bishop
Gondor

May 3 2015, 9:19pm

Post #10 of 23 (2354 views)
Shortcut
I can understand a lack of screentime [In reply to] Can't Post

In a film so densely packed this makes sense. What is slightly unforgivable IMO however is robbing Fili of his moment of capture with Azog. One can only imagine what kind of fight he would put up, being the warrior he is, before he was eventually overwhelmed. There was no evidence of any of this, and I felt his assassination style death was bereft of a certain dignity for it.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

May 3 2015, 9:23pm

Post #11 of 23 (2330 views)
Shortcut
I like it! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 4 2015, 12:50am

Post #12 of 23 (2303 views)
Shortcut
Ugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Pffft - I noticed that re Fili's "ram roll" - at Ravehill IMO what COULD have been (and should have been IMO) a big moment for Fili, re his fighting ability and a WORTHY HEIR OF THE WARRIOR-KING THORIN gets derailed because unlike the other two films, it's absolutely critical that the audience gets another look at Kili in the foreground.Unimpressed

It's not that Aidan Turner isn't terrific as Kili. It's one of the more baffling aspects for PJ's choices tho in seemingly forgetting that ALL of the dwarf actors are great - Ori sitting behind Kili twisting his mitted hands as he listens to the sounds of the battle tugs my heart, every timeFrown.

This happens quite a bit. Unimpressed Almost anytime it seemed Fili or some of the other Dwarves were going to get some foreground action, certain characters stole the spotlight. In the case of Fili it's usually Kili. I'm not saying that Fili and the other Dwarves should have all the limelight, but was it really necessary for characters like Kili, Legolas, and Tauriel to repetitively steal it? The more I think of it, the more I feel as if the PJ and co. were trying to force certain characters down my throat. Mad

In Reply To
DOS' moment between Thorin and Fili is one of the more powerful and "I belong with my brother" resonated with folks.

I had to wait a week before I was able to see DOS, so I did not attend the midnight showing. The morning after it opened here in the states, I got online to and went to some of the social media sites - i.e. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter - to see what the fans were saying and I would say the "I belong with my brother" scene was probably second most talked about moment. Bilbo and Smaug was the first.

In Reply To
Heck, they even could (and should have IMO) had Fili show some feelings of being torn when Bard shows up, or arguing with Thorin....

Dean O'Gorman said they filmed a scene that built off the "I belong with my brother" moment that was suppose to be in BOFA, but he couldn't guarantee it would be because he did not know what PJ would use. (Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CxJiw0zuEk). Apparently, PJ felt Alfrid's slip and Legolas hitching a ride on a bat was more important than further developing Fili's character. Unsure Unimpressed

dormouse
Half-elven

May 4 2015, 9:01am

Post #13 of 23 (2260 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it wasn't either/ or..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently, PJ felt Alfrid's slip and Legolas hitching a ride on a bat was more important than further developing Fili's character.

Legolas hitching a ride on a bat was practical - they had to get him up to Ravenhill quickly, that was how they chose to do it. Could have done it some other way but that was the way they chose. Alfrid's character was developed as a foil for Bard - and they had give Bard scenes. Neither of those things was an alternative to Fili - he couldn't have contributed to those parts of the story.

I'd love to have seen more of Fili; talking, fighting - whatever. I hope we will in the extended cut. But I honestly don't think it helps to pick something you didn't like and set it up as a trade-off - "Peter Jackson liked this better than that." I'm sure that was never in his mind. He liked all of them or he wouldn't have filmed them in the way he did.

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 4 2015, 1:20pm

Post #14 of 23 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Bats, lingerie, and trade-offs...I'm not sure what to call this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Legolas hitching a ride on a bat was practical - they had to get him up to Ravenhill quickly, that was how they chose to do it. Could have done it some other way but that was the way they chose. Alfrid's character was developed as a foil for Bard - and they had give Bard scenes. Neither of those things was an alternative to Fili - he couldn't have contributed to those parts of the story.

True Fili or any other character could not have contributed to those parts of the story, but if those parts of the story had been removed - and whether or not they were replaced with a scene to further develop his character or another - would the absence of those scenes had really hindered the plot line or left the characters involved feeling under-developed?

Of course Legolas had to get up there somehow. He probably could've gotten there by horse...or by foot like Tauriel. PJ chose a bat. Unimpressed Maybe because in terms of story Legolas had to get up there quickly. Though the script could've been written where he gets up there in time by foot, and instead of an OTT the bat sequence that time could've been used to further other plot lines, i.e. Fili, Beorn, more of the battle before the Mountain...the list goes on.

Side note: In re to the bats. Here we have the winged-army of the enemy...these creatures that were "bred for war" and all we really get are few scenes of them swooping around and giving Legolas a ride. Unimpressed. I really wanted to see more of these war bred creatures in battle. Hopefully we'll get that in the EE.

In re to Alfrid, I completely understand his purpose was to aid in developing Bard's character, and it was driven home very well. The thing about the "slip scene" while it was both comical in the sense of Alfrid and a very touching family moment for Bard, at that point in the story if the audience has not figured out that Alfrid is a sleaze and Bard is a good, decent man who loves his family...then the audience is not going to get it. So instead of one more scene for two character that were very well developed by that point, why not give those two minutes (maybe less) to further develop other characters?

In Reply To
But I honestly don't think it helps to pick something you didn't like and set it up as a trade-off.

Maybe it doesn't help, but I'm not the first and I won't be the last. And in hind sight picking what I didn't like about these films and setting up a trade-off, is not much different than myself or anyone else getting on these threads and picking what we don't like about each others post and providing an alternative. Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

May 4 2015, 4:17pm

Post #15 of 23 (2194 views)
Shortcut
HOW could they have made it an EVEN Match? [In reply to] Can't Post

SHOT for SHOT or The same amount of Screentime?

Bom doesn't remember the exact number of shots
in any PJ movie
BUT, lets suppose there are 5,000 in each.

Would it make it any Better, for the "FiliFANS"... if

Bilbo had 500 alone
Thorin had 500 alone.
Kili had 500 Alone.
&
Fili 500 alone?

Bom doesn't think that making it
a Even MATCH
was even possible...so Fretting about it does no good.

What people are Hoping for, could very well be in the EE
SSOoo..Bom will jus' try to relax..
then we will have our wishes ..

either
FOR a
FILI
Full-Filled movie or

JUS' ONE more disappointment.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on May 4 2015, 4:21pm)

lionoferebor
Rohan

May 5 2015, 12:24am

Post #16 of 23 (2101 views)
Shortcut
It would've been IMPOSSIBLE to make it an EVEN MATCH [In reply to] Can't Post

and that is not what I was implying. In no way do I think Fili should have "equal amount of screen time" compared to some other characters, but IMHO he should've had at least one more scene - other than his death - to further develop his character. And the would have to had been a extravagant drawn out moment. Just a well-written one to two minute scene. This could've been done by cutting another characters scene or the more ideal alternative would've been to make the film a few minutes longer.

But just two minutes - that's it - out of 144 minutes. That's 120 seconds out of 8,640, leaving 8520 seconds for everyone else. I think that is a reasonable request.

Noria
Gondor

May 5 2015, 12:58pm

Post #17 of 23 (2025 views)
Shortcut
I tend to agree with Lion and I too think that Fili was shortchanged. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and that is not what I was implying. In no way do I think Fili should have "equal amount of screen time" compared to some other characters, but IMHO he should've had at least one more scene - other than his death - to further develop his character. And the would have to had been a extravagant drawn out moment. Just a well-written one to two minute scene. This could've been done by cutting another characters scene or the more ideal alternative would've been to make the film a few minutes longer.

But just two minutes - that's it - out of 144 minutes. That's 120 seconds out of 8,640, leaving 8520 seconds for everyone else. I think that is a reasonable request.

It would have been great to see more fighting from this little bad@ss but that’s not what I mean.

In DOS, it’s Fili who has the scene with Thorin about Erebor and the kingship. In BOTFA, it’s Fili who, after Bilbo tells the Laketown Dwarves about Thorin’s dragon sickness, runs down the stairs into Erebor to see for himself. It is Fili to whom Thorin throws the jewel or whatever it was. It’s Fili who says he’s going over the wall when Dain appears and then challenges Thorin as the latter tells him to stand down. And that’s it.

I think that Fili should have had the scene with Thorin in which Kili says “I will not hide behind a wall of stone, while others fight our battles for us” and then the reconciliation. To me it just would have made more sense, given what had come before, and would have concluded Fili's little story with Thorin.

IMO, the romance with Tauriel was Kili’s individual story. That was enough. It's not that it doesn't work to have Thorin reconcile with Kili; it does work because their uncle always showed much more care and affection for Kili than Fili in these movies. I just think that scene would have served Fili's story better.

Perhaps when the scene was filmed they wanted to emphasize the heartthrob Kili or perhaps PJ just liked the visual image of these two gorgeous guys, Thorin and Kili, much the same height and with similar long and flowing black hair, headbutting. It wouldn't be the first time that PJ has gone with a cool visual image just because it looked great.

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 5 2015, 1:08pm

Post #18 of 23 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Fili's death [In reply to] Can't Post

I also would have liked some more screen time for Fili (and the other dwarves), although my preference is always for talking and character development over fighting, but I thought his death scene was one of the high points of the film in terms of movie quality simply because of the lack of a big fight. It was one of the most realistic war moments in the movie and was really stunning in its suddenness and emotional impact. For some reason, every time I think of it, I think of those pictures of D-day, and all the bodies of young men floating in the water, killed before they even reached the beach in the least glorious way you can imagine.

The Hobbit movies had plenty of big, mythic battles in them and I think giving Fili a completely different, brutal kind of death was an absolute stroke of genius. It may not have lasted very long, but it had a major impact on the audience and on the story line and I think adding a big fight scene in the EE would reduce the power of Fili's death scene quite a bit. I hope we see more of Fili in the EE in other parts of the movie, but I really hope they don't tamper with his death scene.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Noria
Gondor

May 5 2015, 1:25pm

Post #19 of 23 (2016 views)
Shortcut
I too liked Fili's death [In reply to] Can't Post

It was sudden and brutal and random like most violent death and I found it moving. Fili's realization and acceptance that there was no escape for him and telling Thorin to go were heroic enough for me.

The non- book reading audience was probably surprised to learn that yes, these Dwarves could be killed.

dormouse
Half-elven

May 5 2015, 1:34pm

Post #20 of 23 (2016 views)
Shortcut
Not quite it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's also Fili whom Thorin turns to instinctively when he wants to have Bilbo thrown over the wall - Fili who refuses to do it and remains defiant when Thorin tries to force him. Over in seconds, I know, but still a key moment given to Fili.

I would have liked to see more of Fili - there are lots of things I'd like to see more of (and as I know we will, that doesn't seem as big an issue to me as it does to others. I can wait). I think you're right - it would have worked equally well to have the 'I will not wait...' scene given to Fili.

But you know, in a curious way I'd say that the mere fact that so many people want to see more of Fili shows that he did make a real impact, however brief his screentime. And his death scene was extremely powerful.

Avandel
Half-elven

May 5 2015, 3:46pm

Post #21 of 23 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Director wisdom and/or director choice? [In reply to] Can't Post

Re:

Perhaps when the scene was filmed they wanted to emphasize the heartthrob Kili or perhaps PJ just liked the visual image of these two gorgeous guys, Thorin and Kili, much the same height and with similar long and flowing black hair, headbutting. It wouldn't be the first time that PJ has gone with a cool visual image just because it looked great.

As capable as PJ is at framing a shot, and making use of great beauty in filming scenes, sets, and characters - for this particular issue simply visually I would be surprised re

the visual image of these two gorgeous guys, Thorin and Kili, much the same height and with similar long and flowing black hair...

as visually speaking a contrast in colors IMO tends to be more striking - e.g. Thorin's dark hair framing brilliant blue eyes, Thranduil's pale hair set framing the dark brows, Tauriel's red hair against the green of her costume. (I think even Tolkien himself made use of strong visual imagery in his characters, in describing Arwen for instance, and the image of Faramir's hair and Eowyn's streaming behind them and mingling in the wind.)Heart

So for purely visual purposes, for me, I think Thorin and Fili make for a spectacular visual - golden and dark, with blue eyesHeart:

But, this thread had me thinking more about the Thorin-Kili scene - perhaps it was a kind of "emotional contrast" that PJ wanted from the scene. Because the Company had been suffering under Thorin's madness for a while - which would have been a strain (and I wish there had been some sort of scene with the dwarves discussing Thorin's continued spiral downward, and what to do, and Fili being very tornUnsure).

Well, I guess there was the Dwalin scene tho. But IMO like Dwalin, emotionally speaking, probably none of the other dwarves including Fili would easily lose it with Thorin - I can picture Fili tho finally blowing up (which IMO would have been really interesting and he DOES sort of say something earlier "Are we to do nothing?")

So, in the actual "recovery" scene, Thorin's "mien" short-circuits Kili's anger and frustration and Kili is near tears (IMO an incredibly beautiful dynamic between the twoHeart).

Thinking about it, if Fili had been the one to confront Thorin, I think the dynamic - Fili being the older, more reserved brother - I think that emotional dynamic would have had to have been changed - e.g. not that there wouldn't have been affection between Fili and Thorin, but I think even the script would have had to have been changed - maybe Thorin saying to Fili something like "you will be a better king". Or something like that - not meaning to be cornyUnsure, but something to acknowledge love and pride in his nephew.

Then again, what's wrong with that ideaUnsure? IMO through these films until BOFA, I didn't feel that Thorin particularly favored Kili - just more of a parental dynamic with Fili being younger. So re:

To me it just would have made more sense, given what had come before, and would have concluded Fili's little story with Thorin.

Completely agree, as one of my BOFA frustrationsFrown is there's no "completion" of Fili's more or less untold arcFrown - e.g., the DOS scene. No bridge to the fact that not only will the king fall, but so will his beloved heir - the future king. Where's the payoff the of the tension in DOS, the concern Fili has when he reaches Erebor? Re BOFA, I felt like I kept waiting for Fili and Thorin to have a conversation - anything!Frown

*Sigh* - perhaps PJ made choices - even possibly wise choices? - in focusing the audience on certain characters. There's plenty of snark re any film with a large cast where the audience can't focus. But perhaps some of those choices were TOO much "thinning" because aside from the funeral scene - there are all these other loose threads IMO. Like the lack of Fili/dwarves fighting.Unsure

And re the PR - which is often meaningless but still - I EXPECTED Fili - as "one day he will be king" to have had more to say.

PS. A shame about this last scene that never was, even if Thorin isn't supposed to be holding Orcrist, probably.LaughCrazy

But the PR kept showing the Durins - ALL of them.Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

May 5 2015, 4:08pm

Post #22 of 23 (1969 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

But you know, in a curious way I'd say that the mere fact that so many people want to see more of Fili shows that he did make a real impact, however brief his screentime. And his death scene was extremely powerful.

LOL Dormouse - too true and I need to hang on to gratitude for what we have. Again. Cool

But, re Bomby's comment - it's tough (at least for me) knowing RA's comment "if all the footage we shot was used, the movie would be 6 hours long" and suspecting the EE is being worked on and edited, right now.Unsure

Which opens the slippery slide of how much a director should pay attention to anyone besides his own opinionsShocked.

But I think, in this case, many of the complaints are legitimate enough, in that there were reasonable expectations from the fan community IMO. I don't think I've seen a comment or a wish for something that's unreasonable - e.g., like "why didn't Thorin just marry Tauriel, or why didn't Legolas try to harass Kili, or why didn't Gandalf just magic himself out of his cage", and so on....Crazy

I don't know about anyone else, but I love these films - my favorites! so looking ahead to the long term, it just feels like a last *desperate* chance to be "fed" - e.g., so much is so good, "please PJ don't leave me with a final movie that has more Alfrid (enough) or more Bard fighting in Dale (I get it....). "Give me more dwarves, more THRANDUIL IN DALE FIGHTING, more Beorn" TongueTongueTongue

That said, maybe I am as *greedy* as my favorite, because IMO the mountain king was pretty well looked after already.Wink Tho I could do with another speech. And a few more glorious wind-blown hair shots.TongueSmileAngelic

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 6 2015, 8:48pm

Post #23 of 23 (1845 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, his death scene had an impact on the audience, but some on this forum feel like he went out like a wimp - not that I agree with that. And in some ways it's out of character, as Avandel has pointed out, that someone who had all those knives in DoS and was so awesome with that battle roll would be taken down so quickly. Think about the way he charged that Orc in Bard's house, completely unarmed! Now, it wouldn't necessarily have to be one of those big, mythic fight scenes, and in fact given the tight space it couldn't be. But one could develop a really interesting fight sequence given those variables. If I remember correctly (and I should, considering that fanvid I just posted), Fili went one way down a corridor, turned & started to go another way, then doubled back. I could see a few Orcs surrounding him, and him cutting down a few of them quickly before being slammed to the ground by Azog, maybe even his mace. There was blood and bruising on his face, so there must have been some kind of fight!

He and the "stache braids of awesome" just wouldn't go down without a fight, and he'd take some with him!

"I'm going over the wall, who's with me!"

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.