Big soundtrack mistake in The Hobbit
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Goldeneye
Lorien

May 2 2015, 2:14pm

Post #26 of 33 (924 views)
Shortcut
excellent video [In reply to] Can't Post

What an excellent video. This guy just gave me a great idea by playing the Misty Mountains theme when the dwarves see the Lonely Mountain near Laketown. I'm going to add it!
I've noticed a lot of comments from people here saying that either they didn't like the Misty Mountains theme or they thought it made no sense to reprise it after AUJ. I disagree on both counts. In the book, the lyrical version of the song is featured three times. Once at Bag End, once in Beorn's house, and once at the end after Smaug is defeated. It's literally the musical theme of the book, so it could have been just as so for the film. I'm not saying they had to sing the song three times, but hearing the instrumental theme carry across the whole story would have been awesome, just like the video states.

Bishop
Gondor

May 2 2015, 2:42pm

Post #27 of 33 (917 views)
Shortcut
I agree with two sides of the argument [In reply to] Can't Post

It was overused in AUJ, and should absolutely have been an ongoing theme throughout the trilogy. This surely would have been the case considering how expertly Shore weaves thematic material together, so one is left to assume that it is because Shore didn't compose it (legalities, for example). In retrospect it does look like an oversight.

AshNazg
Gondor

May 2 2015, 4:14pm

Post #28 of 33 (885 views)
Shortcut
If you could, it'd be cool to play with the soundtrack... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ has a much better piece for Thorin's charge at Azog on the OST, and a better eagles theme. I know your version doesn't include this scene, but it'd be cool to give the soundtrack a listen and find some of the cut themes, like Dain's theme with the bagpipes in BoFA.

Lindele
Gondor

May 2 2015, 6:23pm

Post #29 of 33 (864 views)
Shortcut
could not disagree more [In reply to] Can't Post

the need for a big popcorn movie theme that is 'catchy' is something i grow weary of and i'm glad shore was more subtle with the last two films. i'm not saying that i think it should have completely been done away with, but in some ways it wasn't.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2015, 7:33pm

Post #30 of 33 (842 views)
Shortcut
Money Issues? [In reply to] Can't Post

Might it be possible that Plan 9 was not receiving anticipated residuals for the use of the theme that originated with the group? I know that studio accounting is a complicated thing leading to the popular meme that no Hollywood movie ever shows a profit. Getting residuals from a Hollywood studio is a lot like pulling hen's teeth.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

May 2 2015, 8:43pm

Post #31 of 33 (816 views)
Shortcut
That shot of the mountain [In reply to] Can't Post

Is really beautiful with Thorin's theme playing like a glimmer of hope.

The humming replacement music is just bizarre!

It says at the start he does "Soundtrack Reviews" but I can't see any. He doesn't offer any other thought on the scores other than, that main theme from the first one should have come back.

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

May 2 2015, 9:18pm

Post #32 of 33 (805 views)
Shortcut
Really?! [In reply to] Can't Post

"big popcorn movie theme"? That's just disrespectful for Plan 9 work.

Loresilme
Valinor

May 3 2015, 10:45pm

Post #33 of 33 (717 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with you, Shagrat [In reply to] Can't Post

Both in really liking the Misty Mountain theme, and also feeling that it was appropriate where it was at that point in the story, but that it would not fit at later points. Later on as the story progresses it was more fitting what Shore did, to move to the other ideas reflected in Thorin's theme and House of Durin, etc. As you mentioned, these are subjective feelings - I know in my own emotional response to the tale, by the time they see Erebor for the first time, for example, I feel that beautiful, majestic idea and at the same time, feel an underlying current of foreboding and sadness ahead. I also felt the charge from Erebor was powerful and beautifully scored. The themes created for those later points in the story, I thought, expressed those nuances perfectly.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.