Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Question for Tolkienologists: Why does Gandalf have a ring?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 1 2015, 9:59pm

Post #1 of 11 (2054 views)
Shortcut
Question for Tolkienologists: Why does Gandalf have a ring? Can't Post

Elrond is in Rivendell, and he has a ring; Galadriel is in Lorien and she has a ring (quite a powerful one!); Thranduil is in Mirkwood but Gandalf has the other Elf ring. Why is that? Is there a backstory to this, if so I'd love to hear it!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

geordie
Tol Eressea

May 1 2015, 10:17pm

Post #2 of 11 (2012 views)
Shortcut
the ring is called Narya the Great [In reply to] Can't Post

- it was given to Gandalf by Cirdan the shipwright on his arrival in Middle-earth. '...this is the ring of fire' said Cirdan, 'and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2015, 11:03pm

Post #3 of 11 (1987 views)
Shortcut
The story can be found in [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion, in the chapter "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age". It's worth a read if you want the details.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

May 1 2015, 11:25pm

Post #4 of 11 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Nice Backstory [In reply to] Can't Post

can be found in Appendix B Tale of Years.

'Take this ring, Master,' he said 'for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself.....{more}....

“Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener”

Bofur01
Lorien

May 2 2015, 7:03am

Post #5 of 11 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel was given Nenya... [In reply to] Can't Post

And Gil Galad originally was given both Narya and Vilya. He gave these to Círdan the shipwright and Elrond respectively, before the last alliance. Círdan gave his to Gandalf when he arrived in Middle-Earth, because he perceived that Gandalf would need it more... And boy was he right!

xxxyyy
Rohan

May 2 2015, 1:18pm

Post #6 of 11 (1847 views)
Shortcut
I hope your question is answered in the EE of BOTFA... [In reply to] Can't Post

because otherwise it would really make no sense. Why a non-elf has an elven Ring?
If there is one thing I'd want to be in the next EE, it is just this bit of information.
Nothing else.

Elthir
Grey Havens

May 2 2015, 1:45pm

Post #7 of 11 (1841 views)
Shortcut
the timing [In reply to] Can't Post

You are not wrong to generally say "before the Last Alliance" but there is a matter of timing here compared to what Tolkien himself published in Appendix B.

The Lord of the Rings (Appendix B) notes that the Three had been held at first by Gil-galad, Galadriel, and Círdan; and Gil-galad ultimately gave his to Elrond. Appendix B only states that in 1693 SA: the Three are hidden.

In the essay titled Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn (Unfinished Tales) it was said that Celebrimbor entrusted 'them', meaning two rings, to Gil-galad, and that Gil-galad gave the Red Ring to Círdan as soon as he himself received it from Celebrimbor.

On this latter point Christopher Tolkien commented: 'and this agrees with the statements in Appendix B to The Lord of the Rings and in Of The Rings Of Power, that Círdan held it from the beginning'

Tolkien would also write that Gil-galad held Narya until he gave it to Círdan when he set out from Lindon in the days of the Last Alliance, but again, Christopher Tolkien notes that the conception in which Círdan receives the Ring of Fire as soon as Gil-galad had received it from Celebrimbor, at least agrees with already published text (Appendix B).

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 2 2015, 2:52pm

Post #8 of 11 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Is it stated in the films... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Gandalf's ring is one of the Three?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

May 2 2015, 3:04pm

Post #9 of 11 (1817 views)
Shortcut
In the movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you're more of a movie fan - the personnages discussed in the detailed and excellent answers already given above are also (very minor) characters in the films.

Gil-galad was the last High King of Elves in Middle Earth - in the battle shown in the prologue of FotR, he was the leader of the Elves as Elendil was of the Men. It is not shown in the film, but he died in that battle. Here is a shot of the actor who played him:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/...88/Elf_gil-galad.jpg

Cirdan is the leader of the Elves of the Grey Havens, which is the place from which Bilbo, Frodo, and Gandalf depart for the West in the end of RotK. In this shot he is standing behind Celeborn and Galadriel:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/...5237f56c814c2054.jpg

xxxyyy
Rohan

May 2 2015, 6:18pm

Post #10 of 11 (1778 views)
Shortcut
From the movies, we only know that Galadriel has one Ring. [In reply to] Can't Post

but we know that PJ and Co. gave Elrond and Gandalf the other two, like in the books.
If they say nothing, there would be no continuity mistake... but boy... what a missed opportunity.
Especially in the light of what they did, or should I say, what they did not do with the Three Rings in LOTR.
They developed extremely well the story of one of the Seven, why not giving us more about the Three.
My fear is that we'll only get something about Nenya... and that would be sad.
I hope I'm wrong.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2015, 7:39pm

Post #11 of 11 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Answered in 'LotR' bonus features? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Elrond is in Rivendell, and he has a ring; Galadriel is in Lorien and she has a ring (quite a powerful one!); Thranduil is in Mirkwood but Gandalf has the other Elf ring. Why is that? Is there a backstory to this, if so I'd love to hear it!

In film terms, your question might be answered in the bonus features on one of the LotR movies, but I think that previous posters have probably given you plenty of information above from Tolkien's canon.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.