Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What do you guys want to see in a fantasy world?

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

May 1 2015, 8:38pm

Post #1 of 9 (579 views)
Shortcut
What do you guys want to see in a fantasy world? Can't Post

The title explains it all...

I for one, would like to see one that is both realistic but still fantasy, like JRR Tolkien's humanoids. I really like fantasy, but some creatures are a little bit hard to picture, where Tolkien's are much more easier.

I'd also like to see new mounts, especially because of the dwarven mounts in BotFA and also I want to see more Lake Cities! (I've always liked Laketown)

And also, I'd like to see some stories that are serious (like JRR Tolkien's again Tongue), but not as gritty and bloody as GOT. Gore is alright, but I'm not a big fan of thinking about gore. I'm fine with it, but I'd rather have less then what most stories have now. Its one of the things I like about LOTR, I kind of feel like the world could be darker or lighter, depending on what mind it is in. Whereas other books are very dark or light.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on May 1 2015, 8:40pm)

Nomad
Forum Admin

May 1 2015, 11:55pm

Post #2 of 9 (538 views)
Shortcut
Adventure, excitement and really wild things! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elarie
Grey Havens

May 2 2015, 12:08am

Post #3 of 9 (540 views)
Shortcut
Not so much what I want to see, but rather how it is seen [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the filming style is what ultimately makes or breaks a "fantasy" world. LOTR and The Hobbit are prime examples of creating a world that feels real, and yet not quite the same as our own everyday world. In a way, it's all about attitude, but that involves all the decisions that go into the cinematography, editing, directing, lighting and so on in order to convince the audience that they are seeing something that is not "normal".

For example, I saw "Paddington" the other day and I thought it was a very successful fantasy - as though there was another "hidden" London inside the real London. On the other hand, I found "Cinderella" to be completely non-fairy tale, simply because of the way it was filmed and acted. It was no different than watching any other historical costume drama set in a real time and place (in spite of the fairy godmother).

I think it takes a certain kind of director to put magic on film and make it visible to the audience.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2015, 11:56am

Post #4 of 9 (525 views)
Shortcut
Grounded fantasy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally, I feel that the day-to-day elements of a fantasy setting should be treated more-or-less realistically. People live, love, struggle and die just as they do in the real world. Even magic should have some rules and limits depending on what is appropriate for the story being told.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

glor
Rohan

May 7 2015, 12:56am

Post #5 of 9 (465 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but not too realistic. [In reply to] Can't Post

This for me leads into that kind of ripped from the history books, historical based fantasy, that try's to hard to be real at the expense of the otherness that good fantasy and for that matter sci-fi should have.

As someone with some academic social anthropology education human beings from different cultures do not express or experience, love, loss or family in the same way, a lot of what we consider universal human traits are in fact post Enlightenment westerncentric constructs. What are universal is the human need for rules, taboos and systems of exchange that maintain societies and allow us to understand and become part of the group and our place within it.

Tolkien understood that, it is why Elves loved and experience family differently to dwarves and men, yet between and within each race there are taboos, limits and systems of exchange.

For me, there is a difference between fantasy that creates a realistic and believable world by having rules and limits, that create a structure and the kind of fantasy that's ripped from history and based on our own value systems. That kind of fantasy is unrealistic for me, it either comes across as a bad Shakespeare copy or a soap opera with swords, dragons and funny names, at worse it manages to be both .

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on May 7 2015, 12:59am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 7 2015, 1:20pm

Post #6 of 9 (452 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

The fantasy novels of David and Leigh Eddings might be a good example of over-doing reality a bit. Their characters are very relatable, but perhaps at times at the cost of seeming to be too contemporary in their speech and relationships. Not that this is so in every case. When the character Sparhawk, in The Elenium, speaks of making war on an aggressive fanatical people until the remainder crawl into holes and hide for a couple of generations, I'm not entirely sure that I disagree with his sentiment.

The societal mores and attitudes in any fantasy setting should certainly be appropriate to the cultures presented--adjusted to the perceived reality and effects of magic within that setting. I would not think of disagreeing with that point.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 7 2015, 1:24pm)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

May 8 2015, 12:10am

Post #7 of 9 (439 views)
Shortcut
Realism! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to feel like I could actually go to that location! I don't want the environments to be cooked up on a computer...

You just need to take a great (weird looking) earth environment and insert your fantasy race and you are good to go!!

Cool

glor
Rohan

May 8 2015, 4:25am

Post #8 of 9 (434 views)
Shortcut
But weird locations [In reply to] Can't Post

Are normal everyday ones for others. Depends whee you live and where you travel.

It's one of my (many) GOT issues; the obvious (if you are European) locations that have been used so many times by films and TV before the series was ever commissioned.

I have postcards and family holiday snaps going back to the 1970s that feature many of the locations used in the HBO series including, some lovely holidays pics of my late grandparents standing in front of most of the Maltese locations used in GOT!

Inserting a fantasy race into real locations that I or anyone else recognises looks like actors in funny costumes, and completely destroys any sense of pulling me into another world, an imagined fantasy place.

historical drama should look real, fantasy should not, what it should have is integrity and substance, which is not necessarily the same thing as real

glor
Rohan

May 8 2015, 4:41am

Post #9 of 9 (433 views)
Shortcut
Yes, we do agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to define and distinguish the different meanings that real has when applied to fantasy. It is the fact that the term real can mean different things to different people within the context of the subject of fantasy and is probably behind many of the more fractured debates surrounding The Hobbit films and CGI.

I am someone that gets pulled into a world because of the acting, the way the world is structured and written, not the way it looks. Of course a film that is aesthetically pleasing can be nice to watch but pointless if the actors in it, make a bad daytime soap look like Oscar material.

Let's face it prior to LOTR, the comic or hammy scene chewing acting was what gave fantasy on scree it's terrible reputation. PJ made a very firm decision, when he commenced his first Middle earth trilogy to cast actors who could portray believable characters and races hence, his use of forced perspective, size doubles and CGI in order to achieve that.

I am digressing a little, real in fantasy often equates to modern modes of speech and behaviour that are easy to relate to, too easy, I want the other, something unfamiliar, which is ultimately, what fantasy is all about

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.