Annael
Immortal

May 6 2015, 4:55pm

Post #26 of 36 (317 views)
Shortcut
I have now seen it twice (SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I loved it. LOVED IT.

So many small great moments among all the epic battles. Such as the following:

Stark (facing a bunch of soldiers aiming guns at him in Strucker's fortress): Guys! Guys! Can we talk?
(he then shoots them all in the legs)
Stark: Good talk!
Soldier on the floor, feebly: No, it vasn't!

I noticed how often the theme of "am I a monster/are we monsters?" was brought up by one character or another. And yes, I too thought that Ultron was Stark's "monster from the id." So what does that make Vision - his avatar of his higher Self? Because we all have that in us too, the dark shadow and the bright.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 7 2015, 2:36pm

Post #27 of 36 (291 views)
Shortcut
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS... so very happy [In reply to] Can't Post

to actually SEE the awesome Paul Bettany in another fantastic role...

he's played Archangel Michael (the best thing about the uh, random Legion), Inkheart's Dustfinger (a Peter Pan reference), and the quirky Doctor Maturin of Master and Commander. There's always something a bit magical about him. Nice to see him as Vision.

And can we mention Thor's expressions when Cap manages to make Mjolnir move....

and Vision just uses it....

is the elevator worthy????

And can we mention the adorable down to earthness of Hawkeye. Surrounded by superpowered beings and killer robots... he's the ordinary guy with a bow... a bow... and his wife telling him "they need you"... he's the solid as a rock glue that holds them together.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Annael
Immortal

May 7 2015, 4:05pm

Post #28 of 36 (281 views)
Shortcut
I about fell over [In reply to] Can't Post

at the "is the elevator worthy?" remark, because I'm pretty sure several thousand comic nerds have had that actual conversation.

The Big Bang theory did a great show on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRMsxMLVkY

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 5:54pm

Post #29 of 36 (265 views)
Shortcut
bwaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure there were many conversations like that....

thanx for the BB link

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 8 2015, 6:52pm

Post #30 of 36 (261 views)
Shortcut
my favorite blogger [In reply to] Can't Post

logged this review:

https://lovepirate77.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/review-avengers-age-of-ultron/

One of the first things he notes is that the first Avengers film was perfect... and that was a shortcoming.

this one is dirtier, messier and therefore, better:

"If there was one criticism that could be leveled against 2012’s The Avengers, it might be that the film was just a little too perfect. I know that sounds like a ridiculous thing to say, but bear with me. The second highest grossing film of all time was almost universally beloved and forever changed the landscape of the film industry with its success, but it was perhaps a little too polished. The action was too slick, the one-liners too well-timed and well-written, the effects too impressive, the heroes too heroic and the villains too villainous. For Avengers: Age of Ultron, the second Avengers film, the eleventh movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Joss Whedon’s second and final outing in the MCU, that perfection is intentionally avoided and the result is a film that’s messier, dirtier, more complicated, and ultimately a richer and better film than its predecessor."

Adrianna
Lorien

May 11 2015, 2:22am

Post #31 of 36 (252 views)
Shortcut
I saw it Friday! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay I have a few questions:

So Vision was not quite Jarvis, not quite Ultron but a combination of both but still different. Different enough to were he agreed with Ultron about humans but had enough compassion in his heart I guess to say the humans are not perfect they deserve to live?
So are we safe to say that Vision did destroy Ultron since it could not flee through the internet lines anymore?
What is wrong with Tony? Is it that he is so obsessed with perfection and making things right that it ultimately destroy things? Why did he feel that the Avengers had to die or split apart? Or is that all in his mind. I still think that going through that wormhole has an impact on him still.
Okay, I did not see the bonding relationship between Bruce and Nat in any of the previous Avengers movie. He (Hulk) practically I thought tried to kill her in the last one.

I enjoyed the movie. It was okay. I loved the action and the tender moments. Yes there was some humorous and hilarious moments.

On to the next Avengers movie!

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 11 2015, 3:52pm

Post #32 of 36 (246 views)
Shortcut
I keep researching the characters' backstories on Marvel wiki and the regular one... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so this is full of SPOILERS...

There is art online of Nat/Black Widow wielding Mjolnir (Thor's hammer) in one comic... perhaps why we don't see her try to pick it up in the little boy contest in the film. You can also google other wielders of Mjolnir. Thor's expression shifts for a moment (in the film) when Cap moves Mjolnir slightly. No one else notices and Thor covers up with a laugh.

This

is

significant.

Because Cap is one of the eventual wielders of Mjolnir too.

Scarlet Witch and Vision become a couple in the comics and have kids. Really. Perfect melding of magic and technology.

Note that Vision is the "child" of many things: Stark and Banner Inc started it with Ultron... who uploaded some parts of his workings but got interrupted multiple times... the Mindstone at the core of Loki's sceptre (one of the Infinity Stones which become part of the Infinity Gauntlet that the blue guy Thanos is playing with in the mid-credits scene) is much of Vision's power... and Loki started that whole mess with his sceptre thing (Norse god of general mischief and mayhem)... the other Norse god of thunder and lightning (and in the original mythos, of creation, fertilization and genesis) sparks (literally) Vision's life when everyone else has pulled the plug in fear... and Vision seems to have his own soul. There's something significant in leaving the Mindstone in the keeping of Vision... it's one that's safe.

You can see Vision struggling with his purpose, his alignment, as he flees the cradle, moments of fear and conflict with those around him, then he sees himself in the window, and comes to a calm conclusion about who he is. You see him change his appearance from a sort of raw visible-muscle anatomy model to a sleek guy in a supersuit. And the cloak, the one he forms as he is facing Thor... it is a reflection of the Hero who helped bring him to life.

The clincher is that he can wield Mjolnir. While others might be uncertain of Vision's motives, wielding Mjolnir is enough for Thor. And remember Thor is the one Avenger who is from a culture offworld, a culture with tech so advanced it is (as Arthur C Clarke once said) indistinguishable from magic. Thor... just... knows.

He might have destroyed Ultron. But Ultron had a long life in the comics... but this is film... but nobody ever stays dead in the Marvel universe...

Which brings me to Quicksilver.

I can't imagine they don't have some sort of random tech or magic or Asgardian bath to bring him back... either way, he was fantastic.

PS: he and Scarlet Witch are supposed to be Magneto's kids and mutants, but the fact that Marvel's characters are owned by multiple film studios creates some copyright weirdness.

There's nothing at all wrong with Tony Snark...uh, Stark. He's a mad scientist, he's an enthusiastic little boy with lots of toys and a brilliant mind and great good humor and endless money. He wants to do the right thing, but his fascination with tech and science and what he COULD do outweighs what he OUGHT to do. He embodies the human struggle with science and tech: the double edged sword of advancing technology and knowledge. One one hand it's great, we can do this new thing now and save the world. And on the other hand, this new thing creates dangers. (oooo cars! no horse poop on the streets... oh, cars, carbon, fossils fuels, oil spills, global warming).

Captain America is the other side of that: he's more purely value driven, at his core is an unshakable sense of what is RIGHT. In the Civil War storyline (part of one of the upcoming films) Cap and Tony are on opposite sides of a question. (you can google Civil War and find out).

Tony Stark is a bit of a Trickster figure, sort of like Loki, though less inclined to global destruction. Cap is a Golden Hero, the White Hat Hero, the Shining White Knight of purity. One of the truths of comics is that they are our modern mythology full of the same archetypes we recognize throughout the history of storytelling.

Tony's thing about ending the Avengers is about ending the NEED for the Avengers. Peace in our time. The idea is that if we had some way to stop those alien invaders (which Tony has seen up close and is no doubt a bit shaken by still) we can all go home to our farms and wives and famous brilliant girlfriends and not have to risk our own lives. Technology, science, that's the answer as far as Tony is concerned (didn't work so well in the Hulk incident, now did it?). Science will solve everything. This is a classic human thing, we see it all the time in the news: science will solve every problem. Problem is it can't.

The development of the Nat/Bruce thing is brilliant: it's a classic Beauty and the Beast tale. The biggest baddest most indestructible Avenger paired with the smallest and least physically powerful (though not the least skilled!). The kind doctor/healer and the assassin. The fact that it is Nat who has figured out a way to calm Hulk, after nearly being killed by him (in that first film) says something about her brilliance and courage.

Adrianna
Lorien

May 11 2015, 10:33pm

Post #33 of 36 (235 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I thought I saw something out there floating on the net at one point he lost his worthiness to wield the hammer and someone else had to take it until he was able to again.

Yes I noticed that also when Cap tried to pick the hammer up it moved a slight bit and the expression on Thor's face was priceless. I laugh at that it was a moment for him.

I could see Scarlet and Vision together with her powers it almost seems right.

Yes I found that quite interesting that Vision was able to wield the hammer. So that must have meant that his intentions are good and he would be worthy enough to handle it and not use it to destroy.

I can see that of Tony. Yes his fascination of tech and science has always seemed to make more a mess of things. Everything tech and science is not always a good thing and wanting to us it to help better ones life is always a risk. I like the simple fact that him and Banner made Veronica. It was like they knew at one point and time that it was going to be needed.

I was a little heart broken that he let Nat go in the end but maybe it's the best. He could end up hurting her unintentionally and I think that would devastate him more because he actually cares about her.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 12 2015, 4:22pm

Post #34 of 36 (226 views)
Shortcut
Mjolnir [In reply to] Can't Post

... one of the things I loved about the first Thor film is how it was rooted in the original Norse Myth. There was Anthony the Awesome Hopkins (Odin) explaining how Mjolnir was both a tool to destroy (one's enemies) and a tool to build. That is always what it was.

The first tool humans picked up was a rock... (even some other primates like orangutans use rocks), then they added a handle.

The Hammer was the first human tool. And it has always been both tool to build and weapon.

I love that Marvel remembers that.

And that a fantastically advanced civilization like the Asgardians (Aesir in the original myth) still finds a hammer useful.

Don't remember when or if Thor loses his worthiness 9though that certainly makes a powerful storyline) other than the first Thor film, but there were many times in the comics, apparently, when someone else needed to wield Mjolnir.

And I'm going to pause for a moment to scream PAUL BETTANYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! (vision, Jarvis)

Also: need...

"JARVIS is my copilot" bumper sticker.

Meneldor
Valinor

May 15 2015, 3:48am

Post #35 of 36 (219 views)
Shortcut
When will Black Widow get her own movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

After Iron Man 2, I thought she was cool and maybe she'd get a movie. After Avengers and her amazing tricking of the god of trickery, I knew she could carry a movie herself. After Cap 2, I thought she needed her own movie. Now that I've seen Ultron I'm asking, when will she get her own movie?! Joss Whedon likes strong female characters, so run with it!

What I'd like to see is her origin story told in flashbacks, turning with Hawkeye like she mentioned in Avengers, and intercutting a new story that relates to her origin. I'm not the only one who'd go see that, am I?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 15 2015, 3:23pm

Post #36 of 36 (212 views)
Shortcut
I want to see this too [In reply to] Can't Post

and so does most of the rest of fandom,

I see eternal posts on tumblr about it

JARVIS is my copilot, and it's bigger on the inside...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.