The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2015, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 12 (461 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! Can't Post

It's a timely edition of the Walk this week, so let's get to it! How are your journeys through Middle Earth going?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 15
Cumulative miles: 340
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

The sun is shining in this corner of the world, and I can spot one of the neighbor's chickens through a small gap in the fence. She appears to be enjoying the break in our weather - for now. Clouds are in the forecast. Again. This is highly unusual for this time of year in Northern Colorado. I'm not fond of the unwanted plant life it's bringing. But at least it means I logged some weeding miles in an otherwise disappointing week, exercise-wise.

Arandiel

Resources
The Walk with the Fellowship Challenge
The Eowyn Challenge Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbitty journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page is useful for keeping track of mileage, though be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2015, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 12 (444 views)
Shortcut
Heya! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you'll be spared from more rain and get to continue to enjoy the sunshine.

Spring is in full swing here. For example, I just met with an elk on my last stroll! Shocked

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 34
Cumulative miles: 430
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2015, 6:59pm

Post #3 of 12 (434 views)
Shortcut
An elk? Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have elk around here, though not usually in town. I can't say 'never', since there was one time a few years ago that an elk was right across from my kids' school in downtown.

I really don't mind rain too much, especially the gentle rain we've had lately (with more on its way - the sky is getting gray as I type). The resulting weeds and clay mud are an interesting combination to deal with... not in a good way.Crazy

Have a good week, BlackFox!

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2015, 7:17pm

Post #4 of 12 (432 views)
Shortcut
The same to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

And don't let the weeds and mud ruin your mood. Smile

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2015, 7:19pm

Post #5 of 12 (430 views)
Shortcut
Nope! nor my shoes (they're crocs, so impervious to mud)// [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2015, 7:20pm

Post #6 of 12 (429 views)
Shortcut
That's the spirit! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Valinor

Apr 30 2015, 7:52pm

Post #7 of 12 (431 views)
Shortcut
Attercop, Attercop, Weathertop [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves and I just broke camp from the foot of Weathertop. Seems like a nice place, one of those places where the benevolent spirits of men long past still watch over and protect those who shelter there.

Made a nice little campfire, cooked some tomatoes (or was it potatoes? Yummy either way) and the wind was calm so we didn't even get any ash in them.

Unlike you, Arandiel, we're having a sunny and dry spring here so far, which is helping dry out our soaked land from all the late snow melt. It's been great for getting out to run.

Still holding off on the snacks, still running, still dropping some pounds here and there.

3-weeks of progress:
Miles covered this 3 weeks: 82
Cumulative miles: 219
Goal: Dragons, and TREASURE!

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2015, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 12 (425 views)
Shortcut
Fine weather AND a campout... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you're having fun in both worlds - woohoo! Though, to quote the song, 'There may be trouble ahead...'

I hear there may be trolls...

May you keep getting the weather you need, and have a great next week, Notta!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2015, 12:23pm

Post #9 of 12 (402 views)
Shortcut
I've just made it to Rivendell! [In reply to] Can't Post

Postcard from Rivendell

What a neato place :D I'm afraid I'm not lingering, though. I've already gone 2 miles into the 462-mile second part of the Quest going from Rivendell to Lothlorien. We've just climbed out of the Valley and making for Bruinen.

The weather this past week was on the cool side, but this weekend is going to be GORGEOUS! I'm planting a river birch tree in my yard, raking up black walnuts from my 40-ft tree and picking up branches and twigs from the winter's natural pruning. This is my first weekend in about 6 that I'm free to get-er-done!

Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! I hope your weather cooperates this coming week :)

See everyone on the Road!!

Miles covered: 27 miles
Cumulated miles: 460
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Lothlórien and peek into a mirror – 462 miles

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2015, 12:27pm

Post #10 of 12 (400 views)
Shortcut
Elk to Rivendell instead of Walk? [In reply to] Can't Post

HOW COOL IS THAT!?! My most exciting encounter was a stray pitbull with a spiked collar 1/2 mile from the closest house ;) I think I'd rather meet the elk :D

Have fun!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 2 2015, 1:53pm

Post #11 of 12 (399 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done! Enjoy the weekend! Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 2 2015, 1:55pm

Post #12 of 12 (398 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Blame Thranduil. AngelicLaugh

In Reply To
My most exciting encounter was a stray pitbull with a spiked collar 1/2 mile from the closest house ;) I think I'd rather meet the elk :D

Yikes! I've had a couple of nasty experiences with dogs myself, so I can relate to that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.