The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Durin's Folk and The Hill of Sorcery

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 29 2015, 5:27pm

Post #1 of 10 (2332 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Folk and The Hill of Sorcery Can't Post

Since I started work on my Hobbit fanedit, many people have asked for a separate film that follows Gandalf and his doings in Dol Guldur. Well now I'm happy to say that I've begun work on just that! However, instead of just redoing what other faneditors have done with this subplot, I've decided to take it a bit further and tie another related story into the film.

So this leads us to Durin's Folk and the Hill of Sorcery, a one-hour long film that will serve as a companion piece to my main fanedit, J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. The title comes directly from the related sections in Tolkien's Appendices. It will incorporate many of the flashbacks and extra scenes that focus on Thorin's family and backstory, and how it ties into the White Council and Dol Guldur. It's looking really good so far, and should help satisfy those who prefer a streamlined Hobbit film but might still be interested in seeing what Gandalf was up to during the events of The Hobbit.

I feel that this might be as close as we'll ever get to seeing that "bridge film" that Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro originally wanted to make. It's a lot darker in tone, which is part of the reason why I felt it didn't work with Bilbo's more lighthearted main quest.

Elutherian
Rohan

Apr 29 2015, 7:55pm

Post #2 of 10 (2251 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't you have a simpler title... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like "Rise of the Necromancer."

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 29 2015, 8:11pm

Post #3 of 10 (2234 views)
Shortcut
ha [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, well it was tough to come up with something short and sweet. Rise of the Necromancer isn't totally accurate because the film also focuses on the Durins. If you have other suggestions I'd be happy to field them!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 29 2015, 9:32pm

Post #4 of 10 (2204 views)
Shortcut
I'm not quite sure how this works. [In reply to] Can't Post

The capture, imprisonment and torture of Thrain is the only direct connection that I am aware of between the Heirs of Durin and Dol Guldur. It is easier to connect the Wood-elves to the Necromancer through Amon Lanc.

So, for the purposes of your film, what do you see as the pre-Necromancer history of Dol Guldur? Was it built by peaceful Numenorans? Black Numenoreans? Easterlings? Might it origninally have had anotther name (perhaps Minas Lanc)?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 29 2015, 9:42pm

Post #5 of 10 (2188 views)
Shortcut
The bald tower // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 29 2015, 9:44pm

Post #6 of 10 (2188 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

The name would pay tribute to the source material!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 29 2015, 10:00pm

Post #7 of 10 (2186 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some other ways I have tied the two plotlines together. It may be easier if I just list the scenes so you can get an idea of the narrative. And just FYI nearly all of the scenes in this film were cut out of my main fanedit. Of course there may be additional scenes from the BOFA EE that I will have to add, so this isn't finalized yet!

- The film begins with Bilbo narrating the Erebor prologue. We see how Thorin and his people are cast out of their homeland by Smaug, and we also see a bit of Thrain and Thror here. The title of the film comes up when Thorin slams the anvil and Bilbo says "he never forgave, and he never forgot."
- Next we go to the Prancing Pony scene from the beginning of DOS. The scene plays out as it did originally, with Gandalf implying that darker minds will soon look towards the mountain. This foreshadows the Necromancer/Sauron.
- When Gandalf tells Thorin "we are going to need a burglar," we cut to the wilderness scene in AUJ where Balin tells Bilbo about the Battle of Azanulbizar. This obviously adds backstory for the Durins, by showing Thror's death and the disappearance of Thrain. It also sets up the fact that Azog is in league with the Necromancer.
- Next we cut to the company traveling through the rain, and Bilbo asks Gandalf about other wizards. We are then introduced to Radagast and his discovery at Dol Guldur. He informs Gandalf and gives him the Morgul blade.
- Then the film jumps to Rivendell, showing the EE scene where Bilbo examines Narsil and the mural of Sauron. More foreshadowing! Next is the EE White Council scene in its entirety.
- Next is the EE scene with the company at Beorn's house, where he warns Gandalf of the Necromancer. We see Gandalf leave the company at Mirkwood as he continues to the High Fells with Radagast.
- From here the film pretty much focuses on Gandalf and his investigation of Dol Guldur. I used the EE scenes with Thrain so it ties in with everything that was set up at the beginning with Thorin and the other flashbacks. The Dol Guldur subplot plays out as it did in DOS/BOFA, without any other scenes separating it now.
- The film ends with Gandalf telling Radagast that war is coming. He takes off on his horse and rides to The Lonely Mountain. The final shot is the long tracking shot from AUJ that ends with Smaug's eye opening.
- THE END.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 29 2015, 10:06pm

Post #8 of 10 (2182 views)
Shortcut
I see. So... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a fan-edit and not an original fan-film. I was thinking of it as something more like Born of Hope or The Hunt for Gollum. Apologies!

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 30 2015, 1:26am

Post #9 of 10 (2125 views)
Shortcut
oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Correct. I don't have the resources to make a whole fan-film at the moment! It would be near impossible to recreate Middle-Earth anywhere near where I live (Midwestern US) haha.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 1 2015, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 10 (1906 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Will definitely watch it - please keep me informed!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.