Thorin's Halls in the Ered Luin?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 6:53pm

Post #26 of 57 (1320 views)
Shortcut
The Animosity of Thranduil. [In reply to] Can't Post

You make an interesting point. We know that the Elvenking disliked Dwarves in general because of the ruin of Doriath and the slaying of King Thingol, his kin, over the Naugamir at the hands of the Dwarves of Nogrod.

The Elves might have blamed Durin's Folk for attracting the attention of Smaug. However, Thranduil had a sweet-tooth for treasure himself, so this seems a bit hypocritical if it is true. Even so, the Wood-elves seem to have been the least affected by Smaug's presence out of all of those dwelling close to the Mountain. The presence of the Necromancer in Dol Guldur had a far more direct impact on them.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 7:15pm

Post #27 of 57 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Lotro location true? [In reply to] Can't Post

So, after all, the Lotro location of Thorin's halls seems to be the most probable, and true to Karen Wynn Fonstad's guide. Smile.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 29 2015, 1:39am)

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 7:18pm

Post #28 of 57 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Very true about Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe veering a bit off-topic here, but upon reading the history of Mirkwood: I developed a suspicion that when the character of Tauriel was drafted for the film, they had her backstory really tie in with the advance of the "shadow" from Dol Guldur. She would have been alive (and pretty young) when the elves retreated from the south, and there are some production notes saying her parents were killed by orcs (orcs from Dol Guldur maybe?). I just bet they intended her to be one of the elves who retreated from the south. It would make a lot of sense with how she relates to Thranduil. (headcanon speculation over)

I agree that of people in the northern lands, the elves suffered the least from Smaug. They were already suffering pretty badly from the Necromancer. Thranduil turning away really fits. He has to focus on the more immediate threat.

Kinda wish the films had touched a bit more on how Dol Guldur affected the Mirkwood elves. To be fair, it's very present subtextually.

Really digging the discussions of demographics and geography. Middle Earth style. :D

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 28 2015, 7:24pm)

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 7:22pm

Post #29 of 57 (1304 views)
Shortcut
distance of Thorin's halls to the Shire? [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, how much trade/relations went on between Ered Luin and the Shire?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 7:29pm

Post #30 of 57 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Close enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So, after all, the Lotro location of Thorin's halls seems to be the most probable, and true to Karen Wynn Fonstad's guide. Smile.

It does look like it has a gate to Thorin's Halls on the western side of the range. That, at least, doesn't look right to me.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 7:43pm

Post #31 of 57 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Halls to The Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say at least 200 miles between Thorin's Halls to West Farthing. Another 100 miles to reach Hobbiton.

In Reply To
Also, how much trade/relations went on between Ered Luin and the Shire?

I'm guessing not very much. The hobbits probably had their own smiths, but dwarves might have produced fine metalwork for the well-to-do. On the other hand, the dwarves must have traded and provided services for cloth, produce and other materials that they would not have made or grown for themselves.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 7:44pm

Post #32 of 57 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Gate on the western side of Ered Luin? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I've never seen a gate leading to Thorin's halls on the western side of the Blue Mountains in Lotro Unimpressed where is it exactly?
2. Also, don't worry about straying off topic talking about Dol Guldur Wink speaking of it, I created another topic for discussion on Dol Guldur, here is it: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=852274;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 29 2015, 1:39am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 7:46pm

Post #33 of 57 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel and the Darkening of Mirkwood [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe veering a bit off-topic here, but upon reading the history of Mirkwood: I developed a suspicion that when the character of Tauriel was drafted for the film, they had her backstory really tie in with the advance of the "shadow" from Dol Guldur. She would have been alive (and pretty young) when the elves retreated from the south, and there are some production notes saying her parents were killed by orcs (orcs from Dol Guldur maybe?). I just bet they intended her to be one of the elves who retreated from the south. It would make a lot of sense with how she relates to Thranduil. (headcanon speculation over)

I'm not sure if we should connect the deaths of Tauriel's parents to the Darkening of Mirkwood. If it had begun 600 years before the events of the films then I would have thought that Radagast would have noticed much, much earlier that something was up.

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 7:55pm

Post #34 of 57 (1286 views)
Shortcut
The T-Girl [In reply to] Can't Post

True! That was a bit strange to me!

I'm guessing Radagasts' discovery that "holy bleep there be spiders here!" was for cinematic purposes only. ;) In the book, even Beorn knew there had been bad things going on in the south for quite a while, and Gandalf expressly warns them not to go anywhere near Dol Guldur. They know what's up.

The darkening of Mirkwood also subject to a Jackson movie timeline shift?

And for that matter, where in the forest did Radagast actually live?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 7:56pm

Post #35 of 57 (1287 views)
Shortcut
LOTRO Map? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. I've never seen a gate leading to Thorin's halls on the western side of the Blue Mountains in Lotro Unimpressed where is it exactly?

That is assuming that I'm reading the map right. The map below seems to show something called Thorin's Gate opening on the west side of the mountains to the north of the river that runs through North Lindon.

LOTRO Map of Ered Luin: https://lotro-wiki.com/...px-Ered_Luin_map.jpg

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 8:04pm

Post #36 of 57 (1284 views)
Shortcut
It is on the Eastern side of the Blue Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's Halls is on the Eastern side of the Blue Mountains on that map, and its gate opens to the southeast - thete is no gate to the west, to the west it's the mountains.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 29 2015, 1:38am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 8:15pm

Post #37 of 57 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The darkening of Mirkwood also subject to a Jackson movie timeline shift?

And for that matter, where in the forest did Radagast actually live?

In Tolkien's canon, Sauron first took up residence in the Greenwood around TA 1050, not long after the Istari arrived in Middle-earth. Peter Jackson altered that by almost 2000 years.

Rhosgobel, where Radagast lived was on the Western Eaves of Mirkwood. However, I've seen Rhosgobel placed anywhere from near the Narrows of the Forest to north of the Old Forest Road. Weta's map of Wilderness places it close to Southern Mirkwood: https://www.wetanz.com/...twilderlandalrg8.jpg.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 8:18pm

Post #38 of 57 (1279 views)
Shortcut
Okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thorin's Halls is on the Eastern side of the Blue Mountains on that map, and its gate opens to the southeast - thete is no gate to the west, to the west it's the mountains.

I was looking at the north end of Thorin's Gate and I just wasn't sure how to read the game-map.

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 8:21pm

Post #39 of 57 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Sauron takes his time [In reply to] Can't Post

Although the White Council was already well aware of some being calling himself "The Necromancer" in Dol Guldur. Was Radagast merely becoming more aware of his expansion in his AUJ sequence?

Also, what were the actual symptoms of the dark force in Dol Guldur?

What I have so far:
-Lots of spiders! Icky.
-Fewer edibles in the forest (Beorn tells the company that they won't find much to eat in there when he supplies them - book only)
-Death of hedgehogs! Noooo! Not the hedgehogs! (movie only)

So, that's enough bad stuff going on to drive the elves north. Any confirmation that there were orc packs and colonies as well causing the elves trouble and leading to the retreat?

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 8:26pm

Post #40 of 57 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Weta map of the High Fells? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since mentioning Weta maps, does anyone know a map made by Weta, or anyone else, that shows the location of the High Fells in the movies?
Was it somewhere near the Ettenmoors?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 8:38pm

Post #41 of 57 (1266 views)
Shortcut
The Corruption of the Greenwood. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Sauron does take his time. He was interrupted, though. (Book-) Gandalf first investigated Dol Guldur in TA 2063, even before the White Council was formed, but Sauron eluded the Wizard and fled into the East for 400 years (the Watchful Peace of Tolkien's legendarium) and Gandalf learned nothing of value.

Sauron returned to Mirkwood in 2460. Gandalf again investigated Dol Guldur in 2850, this time both learning the identity of the Necromancer and finding the dying Thrain in the dungeons of the fortress and receiving the map and key to the secret door from him. So you can see that Jackson changed quite a bit.

Both the plants and the animals were affected by the corruption of the Forest. Many creatures acquired black fur, feathers, etc.; and their flesh became foul-tasting. The Spiders were probably spawing in the Mountains of Mirkwood.

I'm sure that Sauron as the Necromancer commanded Orcs, but he was also seducing local Woodmen into his service and may have also had Easterling commanders. In the movies, I was hoping to see some nods to LotR and other sources such as having a Wight as a guard in the dungeons or a Werewolf guarding the entrance.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 8:45pm

Post #42 of 57 (1263 views)
Shortcut
The High Fells [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I have never seen any map from Weta that showed the High Fells (even though the location was invented for the films), The High Fells were supposed to be in Rhudaur--maybe between Rivendell and the Coldfells, near the High Pass. Or it might have been closer to the Ettenmoors. The tombs, though, were far enough into the Misty Mountains for Gandalf to reach them from the east side of the range in TH:DoS.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 8:55pm

Post #43 of 57 (1258 views)
Shortcut
The High Fells near Ettenmoors? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, maybe they were near the Ettenmoors. At least in Lego the Hobbit it is portrayed as being located just north of the Hoarwell river; does its location in Lego the Hobbit seem possible?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 9:07pm

Post #44 of 57 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, maybe they were near the Ettenmoors. At least in Lego the Hobbit it is portrayed as being located just north of the Hoarwell river; does its location in Lego the Hobbit seem possible?

In Tolkien's canon, at least, I don't think that the borders of Rhudaur would have extended to north of the Hoarwell, but Peter might have expanded them to include the Ettenmoors and the wastes beyond, right up to the Mountains of Angmar. As long as the Lego game put the tombs in the Misty Mountains it is probably close enough.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 28 2015, 9:09pm)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 9:17pm

Post #45 of 57 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Talking about Angmar... [In reply to] Can't Post

In DOS Extended Edition, you can see the rangers of the North entombing thr Witchking's body; and along with it, the bodies of all the Nazgul, defeated in Angmar. How is this possible - they are wraiths, they have no bodies?
Or in PJ's Middle-earth the Nazgul still had bodies when they were defeated and entombed?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 9:35pm

Post #46 of 57 (1243 views)
Shortcut
I think that the Nazgul do still have bodies. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ringwraiths have the wierd status of existing half-way between the realms of the living and the dead. I think that they still possess bodies, but their physical forms only exist partly in the natural world. They can't even be seen by most folk unless they are cloaked in normal clothes.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 9:38pm

Post #47 of 57 (1240 views)
Shortcut
How were they killed? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Hobbit movies the Nazgul are said to have all been killed at the destruction of Angmar - how could they be killed and entombed without reshaping? Was it because of the 'powerful spell' that lied upon the tombs?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 29 2015, 1:37am)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2015, 10:23pm

Post #48 of 57 (1233 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Nazgul had bodies too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well at least the WK did (at least some of the time). Tolkien notes his "flesh" and "sinew" in ROTK.

It is also, I think, the case that the films don't describe them as being killed. The words "dead" and "entombed" are used, but then Tolkien uses the term "undead" too.

In general the Nazgul are very opaque/ artfully mysterious/ deeply inconsistent. They certainly don't fit very well into "categories" of fantasy creatures which have developed since LOTR/TH were published.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 10:42pm

Post #49 of 57 (1232 views)
Shortcut
Not killed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the Hobbit movies the Nazgul are said to have all been killed at the destruction of Angmar - how could they be killed and entombed without reshaping? Was it because of the 'powerful spell' that lied upon the tombs?

I think that 'killed' is a poor choice of words. The Nine had already been Wraiths for over 1000 years at the end of the Second Age. They were captured, subdued, restrained, entombed, but I don't think it would be remotely accurate to say that they were killed.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Apr 29 2015, 4:33am

Post #50 of 57 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Bodies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, if they have bodies, why in LOTR return of the king when eowyn kills the Witchking he turns to metal scrap?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 29 2015, 5:04am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.