Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Richard Armitage briefly talks BOTFA: EE (Spoilers)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 28 2015, 8:52am

Post #1 of 29 (3166 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage briefly talks BOTFA: EE (Spoilers) Can't Post

Are there any cut scenes that you're particularly keen for fans to see in the extended edition?

"Yeah, there's a big funeral scene which was cut from the final film, and I know they were quite upset that that had to be lost, so I'm looking forward to seeing that. There's also a fantastic chariot chase during the battle - they built this incredible chariot with a crossbow on the back, and I think we had Dwalin and Balin and a couple of the other dwarves on the chariot. I heard a sneaky rumour that they may do a limited cinema release just because some of the footage is so epic, and WETA Digital have been working like crazy to get it finished."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/...html#~pb8CYFqI7qT1nR

Nothing really new but very interesting nonetheless, especially the speculation about a theatrical release.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 10:43am

Post #2 of 29 (2962 views)
Shortcut
Nothing much new on the EE maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but quite a lot of interesting comment in there generally. I noticed this, when he's talking about the fight between Thorin and Azog being the last thing they filmed:

"But I remember those last few weeks, and Pete wasn't well, he'd got a little bit sick because he was so tired, and we really sort of propped each other up in those last couple of weeks. He could see how spent I was, but I really felt like we were very much together in those last moments, and I knew that I had to give him everything that I had, and I just couldn't underperform for him. So it was a really lovely couple of weeks actually."

I suspect they had a lot more difficulties to cope with in getting these films made than we know - or probably will ever know.

Good find, anyway - thanks for posting.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Apr 28 2015, 10:44am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2015, 12:03pm

Post #3 of 29 (2905 views)
Shortcut
Interesting interview [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting that.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Pandallo
Rivendell

Apr 28 2015, 2:58pm

Post #4 of 29 (2772 views)
Shortcut
What caught my eye... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the interview was this...

Yeah, there's a big funeral scene which was cut from the final film, and I know they were quite upset that that had to be lost, so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I believe "they" is probably Peter Jackson, Phillipa, and Fran. And this, more than anything, really hints that this reduced running time was not Peter's choice.

What really caught me though was...

I heard a sneaky rumor that they may do a limited cinema release just because some of the footage is so epic, and WETA Digital have been working like crazy to get it finished."

Is it then possible that we will be getting another theatrical release of Battle of the Five Armies, uncut? After all Peter Jackson in his last vlog did say this may not be the end of Middle Earth with a sort of gleam in his (all too tired...) eyes.

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 28 2015, 3:07pm

Post #5 of 29 (2752 views)
Shortcut
Good spot [In reply to] Can't Post

The use of 'they' and 'had to be lost' is certainly interesting. I think it's fairly clear at this point that PJ did not want the film to be as short as it was.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 4:09pm

Post #6 of 29 (2681 views)
Shortcut
it will be fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

can't wait to see it

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 29 (2600 views)
Shortcut
the running time [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still not sure that the running time was determined by anyone other than Jackson and his team. After all, this is the guy who straight up told the studio that Return of the King would be 200 minutes long, and they didn't fight it. 200 minutes is insanely long for a theatrical release! But Jackson proved that people would still show up in droves, so I'm not sure why the studio would push him to keep Battle of Five Armies to a certain runtime, especially when it was only 144 minutes long anyways. That's anemic by Middle-Earth standards!

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 6:02pm

Post #8 of 29 (2570 views)
Shortcut
Different studio. [In reply to] Can't Post

With New Line owned by Warner Brothers lots of things have been different so it's hard to draw parallels between then and now.

That's not to say that I think the decision on the length of the film was Peter Jackson's or that I think it was Warners. I don't know. There are a lot of things about all this that I don't suppose we'll ever know, no matter how much we think we do. But I did notice that comment about them being upset to lose the funeral scene, and wonder...

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 6:37pm

Post #9 of 29 (2526 views)
Shortcut
hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I do suppose that the environment would be different under WB. But given the commercial success and runtimes of the previous five Middle-Earth films, it just seems odd that the studio would impose such a short running time on the final film. You are right though, we may never know the answer! But like most everyone else, I'm truly baffled that they cut the funeral scene from the film.

Maybe after the final EE is released and Peter Jackson no longer has any obligations to WB, we might finally hear some candid stories about what went on behind the scenes. Compared to the first two Hobbit films, there has been very little we have seen of the making of BOFA.

PredatoR
Bree

Apr 28 2015, 6:51pm

Post #10 of 29 (2504 views)
Shortcut
uncut [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that WB wants an uncut version after 5-10 years later and for this reason they wanted to keep films short and less addition at EE so that we may have an uncut and longer versions in the future.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 7:43pm

Post #11 of 29 (2446 views)
Shortcut
Agree - LOL keep those $$$ flowing [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish I'd saved the link, but last fall I read an article - may have been Variety? - that WB didn't have any "sure" franchises coming up for this year.

And:

"...Director Peter Jackson acknowledges that his sixth and final Middle-earth movie is his favorite because, unlike the others, there's no traveling in The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies......
And no trudging along on a quest means the final Hobbit will feel like a fast-paced thriller.
"I haven't made a film quite like this," Jackson says. "It's my All the President's Men — or the closest I'm ever going to get."

http://www.usatoday.com/...sneak-peek/18450651/
I also agree with GoldenEye - e.g., more than one article referenced PJ and his "short and snappy" approach; "fast-paced thriller" approach. What I don't remember is ever seeing an article where PJ is saying something along the lines of *'this is the last of the ME films and I want to make it as rich and long as possible, for the fans'Unsure.* Or something like that.

I'm a little sad as FOR ME one of the best parts of the Hobbit WAS the journey, the changing landscapes, the new cultures, Mirkwood and Laketown!HeartHeartHeart Tho evidently being something of a war? buff I can see where BOFA would be PJ's favorite in that regardCool, and even many critics seemed to appreciate the choreography of multiple armies.
Re the OP interesting article, but I'm baffled in that I am not sure how much WB requested be cut; how much PJ himself edited; and all the other cuts that had to be made to "keep the PG rating". But to me it doesn't feel as tho WB was solely responsible for the edits re other comments from PJ.

Finally I know it gets some folks mad having to buy multiple versions of the same film, but if one day a super-mega-xtra-long director cut came out of the Hobbit films w. lots of *unknown* footage that has only been hinted at (the dwarves traveling through Dale?) I would welcome it.Tongue

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2015, 7:51pm

Post #12 of 29 (2442 views)
Shortcut
Rereleasing an extended cut in theaters is not worth the hassle [In reply to] Can't Post

It wouldn't make any money. Or very little.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 8:11pm

Post #13 of 29 (2418 views)
Shortcut
I should have clarified [In reply to] Can't Post

Releasing more material on disk/digitally. I think that would make money, with a ready fan base. After all, old films are colorized and re-released - someone is buying them! And I remember that fan at the fan event asking for unreleased footage re LOTR, tho PJ explained there were issues with the film itself (as I remember). That it was bad quality and would be difficult to migrate to digital. But the fan speaking said "we don't mind".

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2015, 8:17pm

Post #14 of 29 (2408 views)
Shortcut
Well, they are doing the EE anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether the EE has a few more minutes or not won't make a difference. Holding back footage purposely is just one of many conspiracy theories.

As for an even more extended cut further down the line. It's not gonna happen. This is it.

glor
Rohan

Apr 28 2015, 11:50pm

Post #15 of 29 (2280 views)
Shortcut
No more directors or extended cuts [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what they said about BladeRunner in the mid 1980s...

...just saying Cool

No mascara can survive BOTFA

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2015, 1:45am

Post #16 of 29 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Here's the Empire interview [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.empireonline.com/...terview.asp?IID=2033

It's a bit different! Cool

And there's a bit more in this interview at hmv.com: http://www.hmv.com/...bbit-hannibal-spooks

There's supposed to be one or two more interviews posted online in the next couple of days. Looks like the media tried to catch up with him between jobs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kim
Valinor

Apr 29 2015, 3:02am

Post #17 of 29 (2197 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be cool if we got to see the EE in the theater this fall!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 29 2015, 1:03pm

Post #18 of 29 (2014 views)
Shortcut
This is going to sound really mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it's not going to happen. There's no way it'd be released here (heck, we probably won't even get the DVD/Blu-ray), so why should others get to see it in the theatre, when I don't? Evil

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 29 2015, 1:09pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 29 2015, 1:13pm

Post #19 of 29 (2003 views)
Shortcut
I love that [In reply to] Can't Post

we will get to see the funeral and that we may get it in the theaters to see the EE. That's going to be awesome!!

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 29 2015, 1:14pm

Post #20 of 29 (1998 views)
Shortcut
NL vs WB [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think that WB was a bit more difficult to deal with than NL. As far as what PJ has said he isn't going to toss the studio under the bus.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 29 2015, 2:52pm

Post #21 of 29 (1940 views)
Shortcut
tracking yahoo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Re:

27th April Richard was interviewed today to promote The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies extended edition, according to this tweet by a Yahoo Movies journalist. The interview will be posted in a few days and I will link to it here in the news.

http://www.richardarmitagenet.com/

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 29 2015, 5:28pm

Post #22 of 29 (1861 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they could complete the film on time. What was released was unfinished. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are no excuses for some of the 'cut and paste' effects shots and how poor parts of this 'finished' project were. Personally I don't believe they did finish the movie properly and what we got was just the state it was in at the time, with scenes needing to be cut out because they didn't have time to work more on them.

I hope they have spent some time on delivering an EE that makes up for the odd release that Bo5A turned out to be.

Miss-Merriweather
Bree

Apr 29 2015, 5:49pm

Post #23 of 29 (1857 views)
Shortcut
Can't get worse... ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I could definitely do with a bit more "soul" in the BOFA EE.....

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 29 2015, 6:33pm

Post #24 of 29 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Runtime [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen some articles on like Boxofficemojo or similar sites talking about how studios are wanting films to land no longer than 2.5 hours. Basically its because people are becoming more and more ADD (due to technology giving it to them now) along with they can get more showings per day (more $$$). I wouldn't be shocked if WB didn't tell him to shorten things sow they could get more showings especially. Jackson isn't known for short films and these Hobbit films are short by his standards.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 29 2015, 7:19pm

Post #25 of 29 (1799 views)
Shortcut
I think it has plenty of soul, personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the 'soul' and main focus of the film is Bilbo's relationship with Thorin and I think they managed to pull that off superbly well.

I like the film very much as it stands and there are some scenes I don't think anyone could improve on. I'd just like to have more of it!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.