First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 5:59pm

Post #26 of 108 (3695 views)
Shortcut
But not even bones? [In reply to] Can't Post

What makes me think the wolves were supernatural are these comments:

When the full light of the morning came no signs of the wolves were to be found, and they looked in vain for the bodies of the dead. No trace of the fight remained but the charred trees and the arrows of Legolas lying on the hill-top.

‘It is as I feared,’ said Gandalf. ‘These were no ordinary wolves hunting for food in the wilderness.'

They seem to expect to find the wolf-corpses, and I'd assume bones would be left behind. Gandalf expects to find something and is disturbed that they don't.

I'm never sure what exactly happened: the bodies dissolve and are reanimated somewhere else, or the wolves toggle between unseen spirits and killable bodies, or someone/thing collected their corpses in the night, or what. It's all creepy.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 6:09pm

Post #27 of 108 (3688 views)
Shortcut
Werewolves [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it conjectured that the Wargs whose bodies disappeared in daylight were actually Werewolves and that the spirits possessing the wolf bodies depart to find a new host.

Thanks, Otaku, that would make sense when it comes to timing. If the Wargs reincarnated after death somehow, wouldn't they do so nearby? But if the bodies die and the spirits have to find new hosts, that's going to take time to find the nearest wolves, which is what gives the Fellowship a day without attack where they can reach the Hollin gate.

In Reply To
Surely this wasn't one of Aragorn's earliest adventures, maybe even before he first met Gandalf? Might this have been between his engagement to Arwen in Lorien and the Great Years comprising the War of the Ring? It had to be before TA 2989 which was when Balin attempted to recolonize Moria, so it could not possibly have been connected to the Hunt for Gollum.

It's interesting that we're given Gandalf's reason for exploring Moria, but never Aragorn's. But once inside, Gandalf is the one who keeps saying, "I remember this place. The place we need to be is southwest of here," etc. So Gandalf spent a lot more time in Moria. I don't think Aragorn once offers any advice or conjures up any memory, which makes me wonder if he just entered the outer gates, came near some orcs, and left again. Similar to kids running up to a haunted house and ringing the door and running away again, all to prove they're brave. (Well, I'm not trying to mock Aragorn, but it's how I'm thinking.) Did he really explore Moria, or just probe the gate?

In Reply To
I thought that it was only natural that the entrance would be labeled with the Elven name, Moria. The Dwarves do not use their own names in public for themselves or their places.

The timing of the name on the door really is problematic because it means "Black Pit" and wasn't called that until after it was abandoned. During its heyday, when it was populated and full of light, I don't think anyone friendly to Khazad-dum would call it a black pit. Maybe "Durin's Halls" or "Dwarrowdelf" or something similar. The Dwarf cities in Beleriand had Elven names like Belegost; I'd think the Elves of Eregion would find something similar for Khazad-dum.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 6:14pm

Post #28 of 108 (3683 views)
Shortcut
Or "where wolves ", since they disappear without trace? :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 6:28pm

Post #29 of 108 (3684 views)
Shortcut
*points* There. Wolves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Werewolves ?
Tongue
(sorry, couldn't resist).

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 6:38pm

Post #30 of 108 (3681 views)
Shortcut
Or "wear wolves." Tolkien was pre-animal activist. [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect their great disappointment at finding no bodies was they didn't get any cool wolf skins and wolf heads to wear. Instead they later got those sissy robes from Lorien.

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Apr 27 2015, 6:42pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 6:38pm

Post #31 of 108 (3681 views)
Shortcut
"I too once passed the Dimrill Gate..." [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's interesting that we're given Gandalf's reason for exploring Moria, but never Aragorn's. But once inside, Gandalf is the one who keeps saying, "I remember this place. The place we need to be is southwest of here," etc. So Gandalf spent a lot more time in Moria. I don't think Aragorn once offers any advice or conjures up any memory, which makes me wonder if he just entered the outer gates, came near some orcs, and left again. Similar to kids running up to a haunted house and ringing the door and running away again, all to prove they're brave. (Well, I'm not trying to mock Aragorn, but it's how I'm thinking.) Did he really explore Moria, or just probe the gate?

All Aragorn really says is:

'I too once passed the Dimrill Gate,' said Aragorn quietly; 'but though I also came out again, the memory is very evil. I do not wish to enter Moria a second time.'

My guess would be that Aragorn was on a scouting expedition to see if Moria had been reoccupied in the years following the Battle of the Five Armies and the Darkening of Mirkwood; and perhaps to gauge the strength of the Orcs who might have returned. He was at least there long enough to find the experience very unpleasant.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 6:45pm

Post #32 of 108 (3681 views)
Shortcut
And given Aragorn's adventures [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm left wondering what "very evil" ranks for him. Did he see the Balrog? Or trolls and orcs? Or, I dunno, orcs eating people alive or something horrific? We never know, but it must have been bad. It seems he could have said, "The place was full of orcs," but he keeps things vague, as if still disturbed by the experience.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 7:01pm

Post #33 of 108 (3678 views)
Shortcut
Early adventure? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm left wondering what "very evil" ranks for him. Did he see the Balrog? Or trolls and orcs? Or, I dunno, orcs eating people alive or something horrific? We never know, but it must have been bad. It seems he could have said, "The place was full of orcs," but he keeps things vague, as if still disturbed by the experience.

This might have been very early in Aragorn's adult life, maybe even within the first five years after he left Rivendell. I personally doubt that he saw the Balrog at that time, but he might have witnessed some deeply horrifying events while he was there. Or, it might simply be that he was disturbed to find that the strength of the goblins in Moria was, in the long-run, little affected by the Battle of Five Armies.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 7:48pm

Post #34 of 108 (3672 views)
Shortcut
Early in another sense, perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

Hammond & Scull point out that Trotter, Aragorn's predecessor character, also makes this comment in early drafts. The significance being at that point in the writing that Moria was where he was captured by forces of Sauron.

Possibly the implied backstory changed when Trotter became Aragorn, but the remark still sounded appropriate, so Tolkien kept it?

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 8:01pm

Post #35 of 108 (3674 views)
Shortcut
Or then again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Having got back to the Hammond & Scull on my bookshelf, I see that the Sil. Suggests Durin's Digs were called Hadhodrond in elvish before it all went Wrong, Moria afterwards. But LOTR. Appendix F could be read as meaning the elves always called it "The Black Pit" because it wasn't their idea of a nice place to live in.

Canon to the right of them, canon to the left of them
Into the valley of Tolkien Studies....

Still, even if non-cosmopolitan elves called it Moria, it still wouldn't be nice to put that on the door.

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 8:04pm

Post #36 of 108 (3668 views)
Shortcut
Shouldn't they be "are wolves" then? (This is getting tense!) :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 8:33pm

Post #37 of 108 (3666 views)
Shortcut
It works. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hammond & Scull point out that Trotter, Aragorn's predecessor character, also makes this comment in early drafts. The significance being at that point in the writing that Moria was where he was captured by forces of Sauron.

Possibly the implied backstory changed when Trotter became Aragorn, but the remark still sounded appropriate, so Tolkien kept it?

Whatever Tolkien intended, the line works as given even if we don't know the whole story. As shown, we can make some pretty good guesses as what it might have been. What's yours?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 8:40pm

Post #38 of 108 (3664 views)
Shortcut
They're the latest in wolf-head fashion from Dior, Thingol's Heir, [In reply to] Can't Post

also known to some as Christian Dior, but only when he goes to church or when he's "beren" his soul.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 8:43pm

Post #39 of 108 (3665 views)
Shortcut
We're overlooking the possibility of graffiti on those doors. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pick any abandoned building, and you'll see all kinds of things written on it. If Buckingham Palace or the Louvre were abandoned, they could have "Black Pit" scrawled upon their lintels, and much worse, I imagine.

I'm sure the original "Hadhodrond" was crossed out by teenage orcs on a graffiti run. What's missing is the "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." Gandalf probably sent an Eagle ahead to smudge that out.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 12:36am

Post #40 of 108 (3661 views)
Shortcut
The Third Age: things need a touch-up [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's remarkable how a simple door can carry so much symbolism, but the Hollin Gate is saturated with it. The Second Age of Middle-earth had its problems (like Sauron), but it was better than the Third.
1. Elves and Dwarves were still friends (at least here), and they co-crafted the doors to display their emblems in unity. There was racial cooperation leading to a synergy of talents, making both societies stronger and better.
2. The world was a safe place. You could write passwords in plain sight. (Like the early days of the Internet, when you could use your real name and use "password" as your password.)
3. People knew more back then: they could make doors like these whose secrets are lost, and Rings of Power too.
4. The environment used to be better: what was once a fair valley now seems like a toxic waste dump; a once-pleasant stream is now trapped in a polluted lake and lost to a trickle.
5. A well-paved highway and flight of stairs are crumbled ruins.
Can you think of other signs of Third Age decadence and fall from Second Age glory?

Many spots, but I always find Amon Hen intriguing because it and Rauros are so far removed form other areas of current civilizations: maybe showing how far the population and thus functioning remnants of Numenor have shrunk? Its hard to imagine such a middle-of-nowhere location as some sort of inhabited or at least patrolled checkpoint.

The Hollin Gate is the only detailed illustration I can think of in the whole trilogy (I'm not counting the runes on Balin's tomb). Why do you think it was so important to Tolkien to have this place illustrated out of so many choices he'd have to make with his publisher? I wrote a lot about holly in relation to Hollin and its symbolism in Squire's thread. I think it has a symbolic importance to JRRT, for the things I mentioned here as well as this door being a standing living link to Celebrimor and thus to Feanor and, remotely, the Silmarils. I think that meant a lot to JRRT.

Gandalf said he wanted Gimli & Legolas to stop fighting and help him open the gate. Were either of them helpful?

No they are still the early Odd Couple here. I do think they were pretty 'dirty looks only' up until now.

Frodo and Merry are inquisitive without being annoying, Pippin annoys Gandalf by being inquisitive, and Sam is fixated by loyalty to Bill and Frodo and shows no curiosity at all. What does this say about the hobbits? Would Merry have solved the riddle on his own, as Gandalf hints?

I love how Merry shows hints of his spirit early on here. I think he could have 'solved' it but not gotten the door open without the language knowledge.

How have the holly trees survived all these centuries given that orcs like to cut down trees for fun?

I wonder if the Watcher's existence was known, or at least 'sensed' and thus it gave these trees some measure of oddly contrived protection.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 1:11am

Post #41 of 108 (3667 views)
Shortcut
Amon Hen and Amon Rooster [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, good thing Tolkien didn't let me name things. But seriously, I think the same thing about Argonath. This great symbol of Gondor's northern might out in the middle of nowhere as far as civilized population counts. One wonders if Gondorians remember they're still there. They might as well be overgrown with vines and hidden from view, but of course, I'm glad they're not, because they're so impressive. (And something I'm grateful to the movies for capturing so dramatically.)

So much of the quest is a tour of the faded past: the Old Forest is a little outpost of a former great forest; the Barrow Downs' tombs have become corrupted instead of sacred burial places; Eregion is deserted, Moria is evil, and Lorien has shrunk in upon itself. The Ents have gone sleepy, the thrones of Rohan and Gondor are occupied by addled old men, Ithilien is deserted, Minas Morgul is corrupt, and the castles meant to keep evil out of Mordor are in use by Sauron. The King at the Crossroads has his head on the ground and replaced by an orc mockery. It's an endless list, really.

Holly: wow, and I thought you delivered the goods on Tolkein & Shakespeare, Brethil, but you did on holly too! I never thought about its meaning at Christmas before and figured it was just chosen because it's pretty, not that it symbolized so much. I'd like to go out and plant some right now! Its enduring nature would certainly explain why Tolkien chose holly trees to be the door wards at Moria's gates, and why, almost absurdly amid the disaster of the Watcher's attack, Gandalf mourns the trees more than anything else.

In Reply To
this door being a standing living link to Celebrimor and thus to Feanor and, remotely, the Silmarils. I think that meant a lot to JRRT.

Yeah, I think the door doubles as a gateway to the First Age and before, a link even to Valinor in what it represents. So much history of Arda written and drawn on such a small space! My guess is that's why Tolkien felt so strongly about including it as an illustration. For once, he was NOT going to leave things to the imagination of readers. Too important.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 2:00am

Post #42 of 108 (3658 views)
Shortcut
Seriously. Imagine how boss Aragorn would have looked draped in that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I suspect their great disappointment at finding no bodies was they didn't get any cool wolf skins and wolf heads to wear. Instead they later got those sissy robes from Lorien.

Jumping to Film, Viggo has just the feralness to make that work.Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 2:01am

Post #43 of 108 (3657 views)
Shortcut
And from 'are wolves' to R. Wolf... [In reply to] Can't Post

to 'P. Wolf', rapstar of the foothills. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 2:09am

Post #44 of 108 (3662 views)
Shortcut
True - another thought, brought to light by the film (oh, I'm going to get myself exiled) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Fellowship has traveled to Caradhras without a single attack on them..but then Gandalf does his fire-lighting trick and says that he has revealed his own presence at least.

Maybe someone noticed and sent a patrol?

That by not attacking sooner and allowing them to get closer to Moria and what lies within, they may be sealing their doom. We and the Fellowship are proceeding with the idea that somehow Balin and Co. could be inside: it may be sparsely populated but a safe haven, by held by Dwarves. I bet ya though, that the OTHER side knows perfectly well who's running the show in Moria, and probably could spare a laugh over the fire at night about the fools jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire (with no idea where such a great and useful expression comes from...!) Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 2:09am

Post #45 of 108 (3653 views)
Shortcut
You know, I never thought of that. Clever. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had always assumed there were no bodies because Gandalf's wizard fire totally obliterated them.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 2:14am

Post #46 of 108 (3657 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this - they might even use a less than flattering name [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I thought that it was only natural that the entrance would be labeled with the Elven name, Moria. The Dwarves do not use their own names in public for themselves or their places.

to conceal the true, secret name.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 2:25am

Post #47 of 108 (3653 views)
Shortcut
Gateways [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, good thing Tolkien didn't let me name things.
That might be fun though. And Amon Hen is an EXCELLENT name for a chicken. Cool

But seriously, I think the same thing about Argonath. This great symbol of Gondor's northern might out in the middle of nowhere as far as civilized population counts. One wonders if Gondorians remember they're still there. They might as well be overgrown with vines and hidden from view, but of course, I'm glad they're not, because they're so impressive. (And something I'm grateful to the movies for capturing so dramatically.)
So much of the quest is a tour of the faded past: the Old Forest is a little outpost of a former great forest; the Barrow Downs' tombs have become corrupted instead of sacred burial places; Eregion is deserted, Moria is evil, and Lorien has shrunk in upon itself. The Ents have gone sleepy, the thrones of Rohan and Gondor are occupied by addled old men, Ithilien is deserted, Minas Morgul is corrupt, and the castles meant to keep evil out of Mordor are in use by Sauron. The King at the Crossroads has his head on the ground and replaced by an orc mockery. It's an endless list, really.

I agree with all of this. The landscape has suffered as the Men dwindle. This land seems to call for some sort of tending: but that's a narrow line between stewardship (good) and industrialization (bad). That strain of 'Elvish blood' that JRRT brought into the line of Men may be what helps to set this line?

Holly: wow, and I thought you delivered the goods on Tolkein & Shakespeare, Brethil, but you did on holly too! I never thought about its meaning at Christmas before and figured it was just chosen because it's pretty, not that it symbolized so much. I'd like to go out and plant some right now! Its enduring nature would certainly explain why Tolkien chose holly trees to be the door wards at Moria's gates, and why, almost absurdly amid the disaster of the Watcher's attack, Gandalf mourns the trees more than anything else.

Why thank you on both counts CG. Angelic You are right, in the midst of everything else he does have that sense of loss; one of those tantalizing glimpses of a Gandalf that has seen these trees grow over centuries and then watch them die. That would break my heart too.

In Reply To
this door being a standing living link to Celebrimor and thus to Feanor and, remotely, the Silmarils. I think that meant a lot to JRRT.

Yeah, I think the door doubles as a gateway to the First Age and before, a link even to Valinor in what it represents. So much history of Arda written and drawn on such a small space! My guess is that's why Tolkien felt so strongly about including it as an illustration. For once, he was NOT going to leave things to the imagination of readers. Too important.

Yes if you know the Sil stories this all makes SO much sense.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 28 2015, 2:26am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 1:43pm

Post #48 of 108 (3652 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The military higher-ups are really gung-ho on the AARs, and the only people I've heard getting in trouble are the ones trying to subvert it. Of course, that doesn't mean that Soldier Bob isn't going to suffer the consequences for gross incompetence or cowardice, but there are other avenues to punish him/her for that, and really, getting rid of Soldier Bob isn't addressing the underlying problem. Instead of blaming Soldier Bob the AAR would be concerned with learning how the system broke down and allowed an unqualified/untrained person to be placed into such a position in the first place and then how to fix it so it doesn't happen again. (For example, make sure everybody, including Soldier Bob, gets proper training.)

But yes, while various civlilian institutions have begun to embrace the system, it is sometimes used to scapegoat. Often an "unbiased" facilitator is used to get the desired result. But again, getting rid of Vice President Bob isn't going to fix the underlying problem. The process really needs the commitment of higher-ups to work.

One major sector AARs have helped tremendously is with organizations involved with disaster response and relief. Instead of punishing sincere, motivated people for making mistakes, it has allowed them to learn from them and so improve their responses in subsequent disasters, which is exactly how AARs are supposed to work.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 7:07pm

Post #49 of 108 (3628 views)
Shortcut
Pink Canus Lupus on Parade [In reply to] Can't Post

Dueling proverbs. Do Aragorn and Boromir ever pass up a chance to compete with each other?

It’s an alpha dog thing. And perhaps Boromir is constantly looking for ways to test Isildur’s Heir for his final report on Aragorn’s fitness for kingship to Denethor.

Wow!!!! Can the Wizard do this kind of thing all the time?

As he says, if he’s got something to work with.

Is this what we missed when he fought the Nazgul on Weathertop?

I wonder if he used any of that cache of firewood Strider and the hobbits found as his base material?

Is this Narya doing the heavy lifting, or could Saruman and Radagast have done the same thing?

I’m thinking yes, as the Elven rings don’t seem to be offense oriented.

(PS. Does it bother you that Gandalf's spell isn't translated,…

By this time I was used to it. The eyes just kinda slide over it.

.. or are you able to figure out that it probably has something to do with lots and lots of fire?

Or it could have been meant to call forth Yomagn’tho the Feaster from the Stars, but I assume he’d have wanted the sacrifice of a hobbit or two in return.

Have you ever tried it at home?)

That wasn’t me, I was somewhere else, and I’ve got witnesses who stay bought to prove it.

Are you surprised that Gandalf can do something this dramatically powerful, or did you expect it all along?

About time.

The Big People all get mention in the warg attack, but the hobbits only comment on surviving it. Do you think they fought any wolves themselves?

Probably creampuffs compared to the White Wolves of the Fell Winter.

Why could the wolves be killed yet they left no bodies behind?

The US military asked the exact same thing about the Viet Cong. The answer was that the survivors carried away their dead, but the thought of one guy carrying away nineteen bodies always seemed somewhat unlikely to me, but what do I know? Wiser heads and all that.

Do they regenerate and come back?

They don’t seem to. Unless they got held up by Team Jacob.

Should we assume this is a small, special pack of magical wargs that Sauron sent to get the Ring, or does he have hundreds or thousands of these creatures in Mordor kennels?

Maybe they’re the fell meats he feeds to fell beasts.

If the wargs had killed everyone in the Fellowship, how would Sauron get his Ring back…

The ring will find a way.

.. would orcs scavenge the corpses,…

Let’s hope they don’t eat too fast. I’ve heard of ladies swallowing engagement rings their beaus hid in milkshakes, cakes, and such like, but I don’t think Sauron would let it pass.

… or would the wargs eat the corpses and swallow the Ring, obliging Sauron to cut them open or wait for their digestion and bowel movements to get back the trifle that he fancies?

I had to follow him around with a little baggie for three days before I got it back.
-Up in Smoke (1978)

The Fellowship has traveled to Caradhras without a single attack on them. What gave them away to the wargs: the spying crebain? Gandalf lighting a fire on Caradhras? Or were the wargs just posted as guards near Moria and picked up their scent?

I doubt Sauron has a Gandalf Positioning System. Frankly, with the vanishing of bodies and the lack of singing or speech, I’m going with the effects of the miruvor.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 7:55pm

Post #50 of 108 (3615 views)
Shortcut
"...the vail of the covering.." [In reply to] Can't Post

It's remarkable how a simple door can carry so much symbolism, but the Hollin Gate is saturated with it.

And he brought the ark into the tabernacle, and set up the vail of the covering, and covered the ark of the testimony; as the LORD commanded Moses.
-Exodus 40:21

Given its similar design to many Jewish parochets, and that, like Moria was lost to the Dwarves, the Ark and the Temple were lost to the Jewish people, it is indeed.

Can you think of other signs of Third Age decadence and fall from Second Age glory?

Weathertop, the Argonath, Amon Hen, the Crossroads in Ithilien, and really, Minas Tirith itself.

The Hollin Gate is the only detailed illustration I can think of in the whole trilogy (I'm not counting the runes on Balin's tomb). Why do you think it was so important to Tolkien to have this place illustrated out of so many choices he'd have to make with his publisher?

This means something.

Gandalf said he wanted Gimli & Legolas to stop fighting and help him open the gate. Were either of them helpful?

They help by stopping their bickering, becoming friends, joining together with Aragorn to form The Three Hunters, and being at Fanghorn right when Gandalf needs them to aid Rohan.

That’s what you call advanced planning.

Given the icy exchange between Gimli & Legolas about who's to blame for their races' enmity, do you imagine they’ve been avoiding talking to each other during the trip until now?

Probably. I can imagine a few exchanges like “Will someone please tell the Elf to pass the salt?” and “Will someone warn the Dwarf that...oops! Too late!”

Frodo and Merry are inquisitive without being annoying, Pippin annoys Gandalf by being inquisitive, and Sam is fixated by loyalty to Bill and Frodo and shows no curiosity at all. What does this say about the hobbits?

They’re individuals, moreso than a lot of the generic Men, Elves, and Orcs we later meet. They're where Tolkien's heart is. I wonder if that's why the Sil never really took off.

Would Merry have solved the riddle on his own, as Gandalf hints?

Sure.

How have the holly trees survived all these centuries given that orcs like to cut down trees for fun?

The Orcs may like chopping down trees, but the Watcher loves chomping down passersby.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.