Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why didn't the Dwarves of Erebor flee to the Iron hills?

boldog
Rohan

Apr 28 2015, 9:59am

Post #1 of 16 (2647 views)
Shortcut
Why didn't the Dwarves of Erebor flee to the Iron hills? Can't Post

I think of this all the time when I watch Auj prologue.
In the movies, Thror apparently attempts to retake Moria after the fall of Erebor. This is either before or after the settling in the Blue mountains.
But why did they bother doing this? The Iron hills are SO much closer, especially than the Blue mountains, and they too are a well established Dwarf stronghold. Surely Dain would not turn his back on his own kin in exile, as Thranduil did.
Plus, settling in the Iron hills would have made Thorins quest far less treacherous.
Thoughts?

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2015, 12:21pm

Post #2 of 16 (2563 views)
Shortcut
I've wondered about this, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Possibly the population of Erebor was much too large to be resettled in the existing halls in the Iron Hills? But a real problem would have been the question of having two "kings" in one kingdom. Thror was king of all the Longbeards, so Dain was not only a relative of Thror, but also his subject; but Dain was also Lord of the Iron Hills, his own territory with his own followers. Having Thror move in would have caused quite an interesting situation politically - who would be in charge, Thror or Dain? Tolkien's dwarves are famous for holding on to anything they consider their own, so the idea that Dain would hand over the Iron Hills to Thror without any resentment or hard feelings is questionable. And the idea that Thror's pride would allow him to live as Dain's "guest" while leaving Dain in charge also seems unlikely. Possibly it was a combination of these factors that made it seem necessary for Thror's people to look for a new home elsewhere.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut
Agree on all counts. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also doubt that the Iron Hills could have easily absorbed the survivors of Erebor. I also think that the political situation would have been tricky at best.

In addition, Smaug might have been targeting Dwarves fleeing in the direction of Dain's colony.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 28 2015, 1:43pm

Post #4 of 16 (2532 views)
Shortcut
Didn't they say something in the book about this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Something like not begging for bread in better halls? I think it was a pride issue, better to have their own humble abode than live off charity in another kingdom. Man, where's Elizabeth when you need her?

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 3:17pm

Post #5 of 16 (2492 views)
Shortcut
I thought some did [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves of Erebor got pretty scattered after Smaug came, it seemed to me. I thought that some went to the Iron hills (can't remember the source, but I'm sure I read this), but many were wandering for quite a while.

It was during this wandering that Thror led an army to retake Moria.

After Azanulbizar, Thorin established a new settlement in Ered Luin. Word got around to the wandering Erebor dwarves and they started gathering once more there.

Pretty sure Fili and Kili were born in Ered Luin after Thorin established those halls.

Can someone explain to me why Dain, a descendent of Durin, is a lord of the Iron Hills? It was never clear to me!

Pandallo
Rivendell

Apr 28 2015, 4:36pm

Post #6 of 16 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Birthright [In reply to] Can't Post

His grandfather was the first Lord of the Iron Hills when the family split after constant attacks from Dragons in the Grey Mountains. His grandfather Gror decided to settle to the east of the Lonely Mountain where as his Grand-Uncle Thror settled in the Lonely Mountain. Their thought at the time was that if they split their people they, as a people, would more readily survive.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2015, 5:47pm

Post #7 of 16 (2438 views)
Shortcut
Some probably did. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the films and certainly did in the books.

There is little evidence in the films that those fleeing Erebor stayed together as a block (indeed there are suggestions otherwise). Just as in the book, it seems there was a diaspora, with much wandering about the place prior to the attempt on Moria and some wandering after.

You are spot on throughout except I'm not sure that the Erebor dwarves did regather in the Blue Mountains. Tolkien tells us that Thorin and Thrain arrived with what remained of their group after Moria and that their numbers only slowly increased (do to the lack of female dwarves)

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Apr 28 2015, 5:49pm)

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 5:59pm

Post #8 of 16 (2432 views)
Shortcut
reading through the appendices now... [In reply to] Can't Post

And here's this lovely quote from after the battle for Moria:

When the dreadful fires were in ashes the allies went away to their own countries, and Dáin Ironfoot led his father's people back to the Iron Hills. Then standing by the great stake, Thráin said to Thorin Oakenshield: 'Some would think this head dearly bought! At least we have given our kingdom for it. Will you come with me back to the anvil? Or will you beg your bread at proud doors?'

'To the anvil,' answered Thorin. 'The hammer will at least keep the arms strong, until they can wield sharper tools again.'

And that right there is one of the reasons Thorin is one of my favorite fictional characters ever. Gotta love those sons of Durin and their grit.

Anyway, a few paragraphs later:

So Thorin Oakenshield became the Heir of Durin, but an heir without hope. When Thráin was lost he was ninety-five, a great dwarf of proud bearing; but he seemed content to remain in Eriador. There he laboured long, and trafficked, and gained such wealth as he could; and his people were increased by many of the wandering Folk of Durin who heard of his dwelling in the west and came to him. Now they had fair halls in the mountains, and store of goods, and their days did not seem so hard, though in their songs they spoke ever of the Lonely Mountain far away.

So yes, Ered Luin did draw together many of the wandering Durin's folk.

And just for fun, an appendices footnote:

They had very few women-folk. Dís Thráin's daughter was there. She was the mother of Fíli and Kíli, who were born in the Ered Luin.

Because I always like imagining what their childhood may have been like. :)

ETA: They had few women and therefore increased slowly. But the population of Ered Luin did swell after Thorin had established his halls. The main export from Ered Luin under Thorin's rule was iron, not gold. :P

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 28 2015, 6:02pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2015, 6:12pm

Post #9 of 16 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Ah quite right. [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't place that latter but but you are spot on throughout then!

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 8:03pm

Post #10 of 16 (2380 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice!

So Thorin Oakenshield became the Heir of Durin, but an heir without hope. When Thráin was lost he was ninety-five, a great dwarf of proud bearing; but he seemed content to remain in Eriador. There he laboured long, and trafficked, and gained such wealth as he could; and his people were increased by many of the wandering Folk of Durin who heard of his dwelling in the west and came to him. Now they had fair halls in the mountains, and store of goods, and their days did not seem so hard, though in their songs they spoke ever of the Lonely Mountain far away.

Since I am not as well-read re Tolkien as I would like, and this ties directly to Balin's line "You have built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains. A life of peace, and plenty..."
(Thorin must have been a good king - another thing I like "
he laboured long" e.g Thorin was never too proud to roll his sleeves up and work.)

"Mountain Pass by Sabin"
The Blue Mountains, or Ered Luin, is a great mountain chain in the west of Middle Earth. These mountains where the home of the twin dwarf cities of Belegost and Nogrod, and was once the border between Beleriand and Eriador. During the War of Wrath most of the Ered Luin sank into the sea, carrying the two dwarf kingdoms with it.

https://middleearth3791.wordpress.com/

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 8:30pm

Post #11 of 16 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien scholars [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I am not as well-read re Tolkien as I would like, and this ties directly to Balin's line "You have built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains. A life of peace, and plenty..."

Reading the Erebor/Durin's folk section of the Appendices as absolutely fascinating after reading/watching The Hobbit. They drew from the appendices a LOT for Thorin's overall character arc and motivations. And there's quite a few references to the appendices stories in the films. The Appendices turned the story of Durin's Folk into one of my absolute favorite dynastic arcs in all of ME.

(Thorin must have been a good king - another thing I like "he laboured long" e.g Thorin was never too proud to roll his sleeves up and work.)

Aaaaand, I think that's your cue to find a good screencap of Thorin at that anvil. Wink

Dwarves are all craftsmen are heart, and I expect the royalty were no exception. I suspect Thorin did not mind laboring hard; his issue was more in having to labor at the whims of men. (Speculation.) That was a bit in the movie that I can't source from canon (yet).

marary
Lorien

Apr 28 2015, 8:36pm

Post #12 of 16 (2364 views)
Shortcut
and still more appendices quoting [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin was then a youngster in the reckoning of the Dwarves. It was afterwards learned that more of the Folk under the Mountain had escaped than was at first hoped; but most of these went to the Iron Hills.

Canon confirmation that Erebor refugees did flee to the Iron Hills and presumably settled there.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 29 2015, 1:17am

Post #13 of 16 (2302 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean re [In reply to] Can't Post

Aaaaand, I think that's your cue to find a good screencap of Thorin at that anvil. Wink

....LOL a screen cap OR the many fan art images that lovingly depict Thorin with an astounding mane of *silken rippling locks* that swirl becomingly around 6-pack abs so fierce they would make a champion wrestler faint with envy?LaughLaughLaugh

Alas, if knowledge is powerFrown, I question the
*verisimilitude* of a blacksmith working without chest protection at least:

But high-speed blade throwers are far from the worst thing that can happen to a swordsmith....Beyond the fumes and flying swords you'll have to deal with flying metal splinters turning your eyes into a home for orphaned bits of steel. And all that slag doesn't just work its way out of your body. It builds up...

http://www.cracked.com/...-inside-look_p2.html

But, I don't know any real blacksmiths to ask and if I did, that sounds like a peculiar question to come out of the nowhereShocked, possibly - so at least all the dwarf actors could be pleased - especially Dwalin and the Durins - so often being depicted with the iron-hard physiques of body buildersCool.

In the meantime, this is a favorite film imageHeart, except in was never seen in AUJ:

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 29 2015, 3:28am

Post #14 of 16 (2279 views)
Shortcut
(in B-movie actor's voice): No! That's just what they'll be expecting us to do!// [In reply to] Can't Post

marary
Lorien

Apr 29 2015, 5:27am

Post #15 of 16 (2260 views)
Shortcut
a bit of slag in the eye, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if many of the dwarves had wrecked their eyes smithing with all that slag flying around - only the youngest dwarves still had eyesight full intact (hence why they got landed with the scouting).

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2015, 6:57am

Post #16 of 16 (2245 views)
Shortcut
havent you ever heard of the stubbornness of dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.