The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 23 2015, 9:25am

Post #1 of 24 (37848 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler that glimpses at a familiar forest from another time... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Lothlórien: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'Behold! You are come to Cerin Amroth,' said Haldir. 'For this is the heart of the ancient realm as it was long ago, and here is the mound of Amroth... ...Would it please you to climb with me up Cerin Amroth?'
... [Frodo and Sam] followed him as he stepped lightly up the grass-clad slopes... ...They entered the circle of white trees...
... ...Haldir had gone on and was now climbing to the high flet. As Frodo... ...stepped out at last upon the lofty platform, Haldir took his hand and turned him toward the South. 'Look this way first!' he said.
... Frodo looked and saw, still at some distance, a hill of many mighty trees, or a city of green towers: which it was he could not tell. Out of it, it seemed to him that the power and light came that held all the land in sway... ... Then he looked eastward and saw all the land of Lórien running down to the pale gleam of Anduin, the Great River. He lifted his eyes across the river and all the light went out, and he was back again in the world he knew. Beyond the river the land appeared flat and empty, formless and vague, until far away it rose again... ...dark and drear. The sun that lay on Lothlórien had no power to enlighten the shadow of that distant height.
... 'There lies the fastness of Southern Mirkwood,' said Haldir. 'It is clad in a forest of dark fir, where the trees strive one against another and their branches rot and wither. In the midst upon a stony height stands Dol Guldur, where long the hidden Enemy had his dwelling. We fear that now it is inhabited again, and with power sevenfold. A black cloud lies often over it of late. In this high place you may see the two powers that are opposed one to another; and ever they strive now in thought, but whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered. Not yet.' He turned and climbed swiftly down, and they followed him."

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 23 2015, 6:09pm

Post #2 of 24 (37829 views)
Shortcut
Thanks gramma for that piece of Tolkien-zen… [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve always been moved by the last paragraph in that chapter:

[Aragorn] ‘Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth,’ he said, ‘and here my heart dwells ever, unless there be a light beyond the dark roads that we still must tread, you and I. Come with me!’ And taking Frodo’s hand in his, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth and come there never again as living man.

*Tears up*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 24 2015, 11:17am

Post #3 of 24 (37810 views)
Shortcut
Oh... me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the connection between Frodo and Aragorn during this respite sealed their friendship and gave them each a boost (so to speak) that would carry them through what they faced.

I still tear up... wonderful...

They followed him [Haldir] as he stepped lightly up the grass-clad slopes. Though he walked and breathed, and about him living leaves and flowers were stirred by the same cool wind as fanned his face, Frodo felt that he was in a timeless land that did not fade or change or fall into forgetfulness. When he had gone and passed again into the outer world, still Frodo the wanderer from the Shire would walk there, upon the grass among elanor and niphredil in fair Lothlórien.
They entered the circle of white trees. As they did so the South Wind blew upon Cerin Amroth and sighed among the branches. Frodo stood still, hearing far off great seas upon beaches that had long ago been washed away, and sea-birds crying whose race had perished from the earth.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 24 2015, 11:21am

Post #4 of 24 (37810 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that leads us into the start of a very Unexpected Journey... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From An Unexpected Party: The Hobbit

... "It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife. That was... ...absurd, but certainly there was still something not entirely hobbit-like about them, and once in a while members of the Took-clan would go and have adventures. They discreetly disappeared, and the family hushed it up; but the fact remained that the Tooks were not as respectable as the Bagginses, though they were undoubtedly richer.
... Not that Belladonna Took ever had any adventures after she became Mrs. Bungo Baggins. Bungo... ...built the most luxurious hobbit-hole for her (and partly with her money) that was to be found either under The Hill or over The Hill or across The Water, and there they remained to the end of their days. Still... ...Bilbo, her only son, although he looked and behaved exactly like a second edition of his solid and comfortable father, got something a bit queer in his makeup from the Took side, something that only waited for a chance to come out... ...until Bilbo Baggins was grown up, being about fifty years old or so, and living in the beautiful hobbit-hole built by his father... ...until he had in fact apparently settled down immovably.... By some curious chance one morning long ago in the quiet of the world... ...Bilbo Baggins was standing at his door after breakfast smoking an enormous long wooden pipe that reached nearly down to his woolly toes (neatly brushed)—Gandalf came by."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2015, 3:43pm

Post #5 of 24 (37800 views)
Shortcut
I want The Adventures of Belladonna Took! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did she travel? What did she do? Did she know any Dwarves? Elves? Rangers, even?

I do wish Tolkien had been able to write more stories! I still want to know what happened as Bilbo et al travelled back to Beorn's...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 5:28pm

Post #6 of 24 (37790 views)
Shortcut
I think she revolutionized the buttermilk process. Frown-n-curdle method. (Pat. pending). // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I want The Adventures of Belladonna Took!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 24 2015, 5:52pm

Post #7 of 24 (37787 views)
Shortcut
Belladonna Took [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where did she travel? What did she do? Did she know any Dwarves? Elves? Rangers, even?

I do wish Tolkien had been able to write more stories! I still want to know what happened as Bilbo et al travelled back to Beorn's...

I guess that Belladonna (and perhaps her sisters as well) visited the Old Forest in her younger days and met Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. She might also have been a friend of Farmer Maggot in his Bounder days.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2015, 5:13pm

Post #8 of 24 (37774 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 25, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Gandalf visits Bilbo at Bag End.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."All that the unsuspecting Bilbo saw that morning was an old man with a staff. He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which a white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots.
..."Good morning!' said Bilbo, and he meant it.... ...But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out further than the brim of his shady hat.
..."What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
..."All of them at once... ...And a very fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors, into the bargain. If you have a pipe about you, sit down and have a fill of mine! There's no hurry, we have all the day before us!" Then Bilbo sat down on a seat... ...crossed his legs, and blew out a beautiful grey ring of smoke that sailed up into the air without breaking and floated away over The Hill.
..."Very pretty!" said Gandalf. "But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this morning. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone."
..."I should think so... ...We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them,' said our Mr. Baggins... ...Then he took out his morning letters... ...pretending to take no more notice of the old man. He had decided that he was not quite his sort, and wanted him to go away. But the old man did not move. He stood leaning on his stick and gazing at the hobbit without saying anything, till Bilbo got quite uncomfortable and even a little cross.
..."Good morning... ...We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
..."What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off.""
..."Not at all, not at all, my dear sir! Let me see, I don't think I know your name..?"

... "...I do know your name, Mr. Bilbo Baggins. And you do know my name, though you don't remember that I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!"
... "Gandalf, Gandalf... ...Not the man that used to make such particularly excellent fireworks! I remember those! Old Took used to have them on Midsummer's Eve... ...I beg your pardon, but I had no idea you were still in business."
... "Where else should I be?" said the wizard. "All the same I am pleased to find you remember something about me. You seem to remember my fireworks kindly, at any rate, and that is not without hope..."
... "...I will go so far as to send you on this adventure. Very amusing for me, very good for you—and profitable too, very likely, if you ever get over it."
... "Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not today. Good morning! But please come to tea—any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Come tomorrow! Good-bye!" With that the hobbit turned and scuttled inside his round green door, and shut it as quickly as he dared, not to seem rude. Wizards after all are wizards....

... "...Gandalf... ...was still standing outside the door, and laughing long but quietly. After a while he stepped up, and with the spike of his staff scratched a queer sign on the hobbit's beautiful green front-door. Then he strode away, just about the time when Bilbo was finishing his second cake and beginning to think that he had escaped adventures very well."

[TIME entries in this calendar are maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and are in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. Copyrights and trademarks for the books from which dates and short quotes are taken are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 25 2015, 5:15pm

Post #9 of 24 (37768 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they hung out with any of the Brandybucks... you can bet on it :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2015, 10:53am

Post #10 of 24 (37759 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 26, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Wednesday. The Unexpected Party.
..."Bilbo rushed along the passage, very angry, and altogether bewildered and bewuthered—this was the most awkward Wednesday he ever remembered. He pulled open the door with a jerk, and they all fell in, one on top of the other. More dwarves, four more! And there was Gandalf behind, leaning on his staff and laughing. He had made quite a dent on the beautiful door... ...[and] knocked out the secret mark that he had put there the morning before.
..."Carefully! Carefully!" he said. "It is not like you, Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, and then open the door like a pop-gun! Let me introduce Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and especially Thorin!'
...'At your service!" said Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur standing in a row. Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin, an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him....

...'...Now we are all here!" said Gandalf, looking at the row of thirteen hoods—the best detachable party hoods—and his own hat hanging on the pegs. "Quite a merry gathering! I hope there is something left for the late-goers to eat and drink! What's that? Tea! No thank you! A little red wine, I think, for me...."
......Mr. Baggins... ...was feeling positively flummoxed, and was beginning to wonder whether a most wretched adventure had not come right into his house. By the time he had got all the bottles and dishes and knives and forks and glasses and plates and spoons and things piled up on big trays, he was getting very hot, and red in the face, and annoyed...."

..."...Poor Bilbo couldn't bear it any longer. At may never return he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel. All the dwarves sprang up knocking over the table... ...the poor little hobbit could be seen kneeling on the hearth-rug, shaking like a jelly that was melting. Then he fell flat on the floor, and kept on calling out "struck by lightning, struck by lightning...!"

..."...Excitable little fellow," said Gandalf, as they sat down again. "Gets funny queer fits, but he is one of the best, one of the best—as fierce as a dragon in a pinch."
...If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit... ...however, Bullroar's gentler descendant was reviving in the drawing-room. After a while and a drink he crept nervously to the door of the parlour...."

... "...Pardon me," [Bilbo] said, 'if I have overheard words that you were saying. I don't pretend to understand what you are talking about, or your reference to burglars, but I think I am right in believing... ...that you think I am no good. I will show you. I have no signs on my door..."

..."...I assure you there is a mark on this door [said Gloin] —the usual one in the trade, or used to be. Burglar wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward, that's how it is usually read. You can say Expert Treasure-hunter instead of Burglar if you like.... ...Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once...."
..."...Of course there is a mark," said Gandalf. "I put it there myself. For very good reasons. You asked me to find the fourteenth man for your expedition, and I chose Mr. Baggins. Just let any one say I chose the wrong man or the wrong house, and you can stop at thirteen and have all the bad luck you like, or go back to digging coal.""

April 26, 1999
1. TheOneRing.net officially draws its first breath.
...On this day, TORn is officially registered and begins exclusive reporting on Peter Jackson's films and related topics. It also spawns multiple Discussion Boards where all things Tolkien and Jackson are discussed.

April 26, 2009
1. TheOneRing.net celebrates its 10-year Anniversary.
...On this auspicious Anniversary, TORn Discussion Board Members begin an annual Founders Day celebration honouring its Founders, Admins, and fellow-posters.
TORn 10th Anniversary Bash! by Altaira

April 26, 2010
1. TheOneRing.net members unveil the Mathom-house.
...After TORn's 10th Anniversary celebration, one of the Discussion Board Members had an idea to record the history of the website and share it through the TORn Mathom-house. Now in its infancy, it is a work in progress. With the collaboration and contributions of the TORn Discussion Board Members, this work is expected to expand and show the incredible journey of this premier fan site.

April 26, 2014
1. TheOneRing.net celebrates its 15-year Anniversary.
...TORn celebrates two very special and exclusive holidays: TORn Founders Day begins it's 5th Party to honour our Founders with this announcement by Kelvarhin.
...We also we kicked off our Founders Day and TORn's 15th Anniversary Party during Fiesta Friday hosted by dernwyn.

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 10:17pm

Post #11 of 24 (37706 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 27, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Thorin and Company ride out of Hobbiton at 11:00 a.m.
..."...Bilbo began to whistle loudly and to forget about the night before. In fact he was just sitting down to a nice little second breakfast in the dining-room by the open window, when in walked Gandalf.
..."My dear fellow... ...whenever are you going to come? What about an early start?---and here you are having breakfast, or whatever you call it, at half past ten. They left you the message...."
..."...What message?" said poor Mr. Baggins all in a fluster.
..."Great Elephants!" said Gandalf, "you are not at all yourself this morning---you have never dusted the mantelpiece!"
..."What's that got to do with it? I have had enough to do with washing up for fourteen!"
..."If you had dusted the mantelpiece, you would have found this just under the clock," said Gandalf, handing Bilbo a note...."

..."...That leaves you just ten minutes. You will have to run," said Gandalf.
..."But---" said Bilbo.
..."No time for it," said the wizard.
..."But---" said Bilbo again.
..."No time for that either! Off you go!"
...To the end of his days Bilbo could never remember how he found himself outside, without a hat, walking-stick or any money, or anything that he usually took when he went out; leaving his second breakfast half-finished..."
..."...That's how they all came to start, jogging off from the inn one fine morning just before May, on laden ponies and Bilbo was wearing a dark-green hood (a little weather-stained) and a dark-green cloak borrowed from Dwalin....

......They had not been riding very long when up came Gandalf very splendid on a white horse. He had brought a lot of pocket-handkerchiefs, and Bilbo's pipe and tobacco."

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 9:17am

Post #12 of 24 (37700 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo begins plans for his adventure
(not from the appendices)
..."'You ought to go quietly, and you ought to go soon,' said Gandalf. Two or three weeks had passed, and still Frodo made no sign of getting ready to go.
...'I know. But it is difficult to do both,' he objected. 'If I must vanish like Bilbo, the tale will be all over the Shire in no time.'
...'Of course you mustn't vanish... ...That wouldn't do at all! I said soon, not instantly! If you can think of any way of slipping out of the Shire without its being generally knows, it will be worth a little delay. But you must not delay too long.'
...'What about the autumn, on or after Our Birthday?' asked Frodo. 'I think I could probably make some arrangements by then....'
......he was very reluctant to start, now that it had come to the point. Bag End seemed a more desirable residence than it had for years, and he wanted to savour as much as he could of his last summer in the Shire. When autumn came, he knew that part at least of his heart would think more kindly of journeying, as it always did at that season. He had indeed privately made up his mind to leave on his fiftieth birthday: Bilbo's one hundred and twenty-eighth.... ...Following Bilbo was uppermost in his mind, and the one thing that made the thought of leaving bearable. He thought as little as possible about the Ring, and where it might lead him in the end. But he did not tell all his thoughts to Gandalf. What the wizard guessed was always difficult to tell. He looked at Frodo and smiled. 'Very well... ...I think that will do—but it must not be any later. I am getting very anxious. In the meanwhile, do take care, and don't let out any hint of where you are going! And see that Sam Gamgee does not talk. If he does, I really shall turn him into a toad.'
...'As for where I am going... ...it would be difficult to give that away, for I have no clear idea myself, yet.'
...'Don't be absurd!' said Gandalf. 'I am not warning you against leaving an address at the post-office! But you are leaving the Shire—and that should not be known, until you are far away... ...and the direction should certainly not be known.'
...'I have been so taken up with the thought of leaving Bag End, and of saying farewell, that I have never even considered the direction,' said Frodo. 'For where am I to go? And by what shall I steer? What is to be my quest? Bilbo went to find a treasure, there and back again; but I go to lose one, and not return, as far as I can see.'
...'But you cannot see very far... ...Neither can I. It may be your task to find the Cracks of Doom; but that quest may be for others: I do not know. At any rate you are not ready for that long road yet...'
...'...make for Rivendell,' answered the wizard. 'That journey should not prove too perilous though the Road is less easy than it was, and it will grow worse as the year fails.'
...'Rivendell!' said Frodo. 'Very good: I will go east, and I will make for Rivendell. I will take Sam to visit the Elves; he will be delighted.' He spoke lightly; but his heart was moved suddenly with a desire to see the house of Elrond Halfelven, and breathe the air of that deep valley where many of the Fair Folk still dwell in peace."

April 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Host departs from Ithilien.
..."...when the month of May was drawing near the Captains of the West set out again; and they went aboard ship with all their men, and they sailed from Cair Andros down Anduin to Osgiliath; and there they remained for one day."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 29 2015, 10:37am

Post #13 of 24 (37685 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

April 29, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo begins plans for his departure.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Now that the beginnings of a plan had been made, Frodo went to the chest and pulled out some old maps that Bilbo had left behind. He often pondered over these faded reminders of the old hobbit and wondered which direction he had gone the night he left. If he had found adventure during his travels; if he was contented in a safe place of rest or was never to be seen again. Frodo didn't dwell on the fear of Bilbo being lost. He'd always felt he would see him again, but how or when had seemed far off. Now he began to hope the maps would lead him to Bilbo and they would once again share stories over pipes and pints at ease in front of a warm hearth.

I'm including a response to this TIME post from dernwyn in 2006... just because it's (typically) brilliant and so thought-provoking!
..."Meanwhile, while Frodo's thinking of Bilbo, certain ones of his friends are quietly thinking about him, and making their own plans to ensure his safe, secret, and accompanied getaway... Plans of their own.
...They had been scouring the edges of Buckland for weeks now, considering all possibilities, and this one seemed perfect. Down a less-used lane, surrounded by both hedge and trees, a house but hole-like enough; close to stabling, but more important, to the Hedge - perfect.
...Now, to convince his cousin that he should move there: nothing outright, of course, just little hints dropped here and there, enough to plant the seed in his mind and make him think it was his own idea to "find" this house...
..."Yes, that ought to work out quite well," thought Merry."

April 29, 2004
1. "Where to from here?"
...Ten years ago today, this was a question posed by TheOneRing.net co-Founder, Tehanu, in her report on TORn's 2004 Oscar Party. Check it out right here in Tehanu's Twenty-second Note

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2015, 3:55pm

Post #14 of 24 (37670 views)
Shortcut
Heh, that little drabble! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, gramma! I'd always liked the idea of the Conspirators looking out for Frodo once they realized what really needed to be done.

Eleven years ago Tehanu wrote that...and look where TORn is, today...everything's the same, just different! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2015, 9:52am

Post #15 of 24 (37659 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 30, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Captains of the West return.
..."...they came to the green fields of the Pelennor and saw again the white towers under tall Mindolluin, the City of the Men of Gondor, last memory of Westernesse, that had passed through the darkness and fire to a new day...
......there in the midst of the fields they set up their pavilions and awaited the morning; for it was the Eve of May, and the King would enter his gates with the rising of the Sun."

2. Minas Tirith prepares for the return of the victors
..."All things were now made ready in the City; and there was great concourse of people, for the tidings had gone out into all parts of Gondor... ...and the far coasts of the sea; and all that could come to the City made haste to come. And the City was filled again with women and fair children that returned to their homes laden with flowers; and from Dol Amroth came the harpers that harped most skillfully in all the land... ...there were players upon viols and upon flutes and upon horns of silver, and clear-voiced singers from the vales of Lebennin.
...At last an evening came when from the walls the pavilions could be seen upon the field, and all night lights were burning as men watched for the dawn."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 30 2015, 9:54am

Post #16 of 24 (37655 views)
Shortcut
Caught ya lookin! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love reading about the Conspirators, too... and this is GREAT! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 1 2015, 11:06am

Post #17 of 24 (37631 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 1, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Gandalf and Bilbo reach Rivendell.
..."It was on May the First that the two came back at last to the brink of the valley of Rivendell, where stood the Last (or the First) Homely House... ...their ponies were tired, especially the one that carried the baggage; and they all felt in need of rest. As they rode down the steep path, Bilbo heard the elves still singing in the trees, as if they had not stopped since he left..."

May 1, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Sarn Ford where Gandalf and Aragorn met
..."Strider looked grave. '...I came west with [Gandalf] in the spring. I have often kept watch on the borders of the Shire in the last few years, when he was busy elsewhere. He seldom left it unguarded. We last met on the first of May: at Sarn Ford down the Brandywine... ...his business with you had gone well, and that you will be starting for Rivendell in the last week of September. As I knew he was at your side, I went away on a journey of my own. And that has proved ill; for plainly some news reached him, and I was not at hand to help."

May 1, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Crowning of King Elessar.
(from the appendices)
..."And when the sun rose in the clear morning above the mountains in the East... ...upon the White Tower of the citadel the standard of the Stewards, bright argent like snow in the sun, bearing no charge nor device, was raised over Gondor for the last time.
...Now the Captains of the West led their host towards the City, and folk saw them advance in line upon line... ...And so they came before the Gateway and halted a furlong from the walls. As yet no gates had been set up again, but a barrier was laid across the entrance to the City, and there stood men at arms in silver and black with long swords drawn. Before the barrier stood Faramir the Steward, and Húrin Warden of the Keys, and other captains of Gondor, and the Lady Éowyn of Rohan with Elfhelm the Marshal and many knights of the Mark; and upon either side of the Gate was a great press of fair people in raiment of many colours and garlands of flowers....
......A hush fell upon all as out from the host stepped the Dúnedain in silver and grey; and before them came walking slow the Lord Aragorn. He was clad in black mail girt with silver, and he wore a long mantle of pure white clasped at the throat with a great jewel of green that shone from afar; but his head was bare save for a star upon his forehead bound by a slender fillet of silver. With him were Éomer of Rohan, and the Prince Imrahil, and Gandalf robed all in white, and four small figures that many men marvelled to see.
...'Nay, cousin! they are not boys,' said Ioreth to her kinswoman... ...who stood beside her. 'They are Periannath, out of the far country of the Halflings, where they are princes of great fame, it is said... ...I had one to tend in the Houses. They are small, but they are valiant. Why, cousin, one of them went with only his esquire into the Black Country and fought with the Dark Lord all by himself, and set fire to his Tower... ...At least that is the tale in the City. That will be the one that walks with our Elfstone. They are dear friends, I hear. Now he is a marvel, the Lord Elfstone: not too soft in his speech... ...but he has a golden heart, as the saying is; and he has the healing hands. "The hands of the king are the hands of a healer", I said; and that was how it was all discovered. And Mithrandir, he said to me: "Ioreth, men will long remember your words", and ----'
...But Ioreth was not permitted to continue the instruction of her kinswoman... ...for a single trumpet rang, and a dead silence followed. Then forth from the Gate went Faramir with Húrin of the Keys, and no others, save that behind them walked four men in the high helms and armour of the Citadel, and they bore a great casket....
......Faramir met Aragorn in the midst of those there assembled, and he knelt, and said: "The last Steward of Gondor begs leave to surrender his office.' And he held out a white rod; but Aragorn took the rod and gave it back, saying: 'That office is not ended, and it shall be thine and thy heirs' as long as my line shall last. Do now thy office!'
...Then Faramir stood up and spoke in a clear voice: 'Men of Gondor... ...Behold! one has come to claim the kingship again at last. Here is Aragorn son of Arathorn, chieftain of the Dúnedain of Arnor, Captain of the Host of the West, bearer of the Star of the North, wielder of the Sword Reforged, victorious in battle, whose hands bring healing, the Elfstone, Elessar of the line of Valandil, Isildur's son, Elendil's son of Númenor. Shall he be king and enter into the City and dwell there?'
...And all the host and all the people cried yea with one voice...

......Men of Gondor, the loremasters tell that it was the custom of old that the king should receive the crown from his father ere he died; or... ...that he should go alone and take it from the hands of his father in the tomb where he was laid. But since things must now be done otherwise, using the authority of the Steward, I have today brought hither from Rath Dinen the crown of Eärnur the last king, whose days passed in the time of our longfathers of old.'
......Faramir opened the casket, and he held up an ancient crown... ...wings at either side were wrought of pearl and silver in the likeness of the wings of a sea-bird, for it was the emblem of kings who came over the Sea; and seven gems of adamant were set in the circlet, and upon its summit was set a single jewel the light of which went up like a flame.
...Then Aragorn took the crown and held it up and said; 'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!'
......those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'
......Aragorn did not put the crown upon his head, but gave it back to Faramir, and said: 'By the labour and valour of many I have come into my inheritance. In token of this I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head... ... for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory.'
...Then Frodo came forward and took the crown from Faramir and bore it to Gandalf; and Aragorn knelt, and Gandalf set the White Crown upon his head, and said:
...'Now come the days of the King, and may they be blessed while the thrones of the Valar endure!'
......when Aragorn arose all that beheld him gazed in silence, for it seemed to them that he was revealed to them now for the first time. Tall as the sea-kings of old, he stood above all that were near; ancient of days he seemed and yet in the flower of manhood; and wisdom sat upon his brow, and strength and healing were in his hands, and a light was about him. And then Faramir cried:
...'Behold the King!'
...And... ...all the trumpets were blown, and the King Elessar went forth and came to the barrier, and Húrin of the Keys thrust it back; and... ...the King passed through the flower-laden streets, and came to the Citadel, and entered in; and the banner of the Tree and the Stars was unfurled upon the topmost tower, and the reign of King Elessar began, of which many songs have told."

[furlong = .125 miles or 220 yards]

2. Elrond and Arwen set out from Rivendell.
(from the appendices-no text)
On the day Aragorn entered the City to claim his kingship, a great Company departed from Rivendell on journey to the south. Elrond and members of his house were among the escort of Arwen Undómiel as she moved to fulfill her fate and a promise.

May 1, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Samwise marries Rose.
(from the appendices)
..."'It's Rosie, Rose Cotton,' said Sam. 'It seems she didn't like my going abroad at all, poor lass; but as I hadn't spoken, she wouldn't say so. And I didn't speak because I had a job to do first. But now I have spoken and she said: "Well, you've wasted a year, so why wait longer?" "Wasted?... ...I wouldn't call it that." Still I see what she means. I feel TORn in two, as you might say.'
...'I see,' said Frodo: 'you want to get married, and yet you want to live with me in Bag End too? But my dear Sam, how easy! Get married as soon as you can, and then move in with Rosie. There's room enough in Bag End for as big a family as you could wish for.'
...And so it was settled. Sam Gamgee married Rose Cotton in the Spring of 1420... ...and they came and lived at Bag End."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2015, 2:15pm

Post #18 of 24 (37604 views)
Shortcut
This makes me wonder. [In reply to] Can't Post

Where was it where Aragorn first met Gandalf and the two became friends? All we know for certain was that it was during Aragorn's twenty-fifth year (TA 2956) and probably in the North in either Eriador or Wilderland.

Was Gandalf aware of Aragorn when the young Ranger was being fostered in Rivendell? Gandalf stayed in Rivendell at least twice, in 2940 and '41, during the period of Aragorn's childhood. And the matter could have come up between Gandalf and Elrond at the White Council of 2941. Might Elrond have asked Mithrandir to watch out for his former ward at the White Council of 2953? I'm not sure that we can know the answer to any of these questions.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 1 2015, 2:16pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2015, 10:56am

Post #19 of 24 (37575 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 2, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo finds rest in Rivendell.
(determined from text)
..."When the tale of their journeying was told, there were other tales, and yet more tales, tales of long ago, and tales of new things, and tales of no time at all, till Bilbo's head fell forward on his chest, and he snored comfortably in a corner.
...He woke to find himself in a white bed, and the moon shining through an open window. Below it many elves were singing loud and clear....
..."...Well, Merry People!" said Bilbo looking out. "What time by the moon is this? Your lullaby would waken a drunken goblin! Yet I thank you."
..."And your snores would waken a stone dragon—yet we thank you," they answered with laughter. "It is drawing towards dawn, and you have slept now since the night's beginning. Tomorrow... ...you will be cured of weariness."
...A little sleep does a great cure in the house of Elrond," said he; "but I will take all the cure I can get. A second good night, fair friends!" And with that he went back to bed and slept till late morning."

May 2, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The glad days of Gondor.
..."In the days that followed the King sat on his throne in the Hall of the Kings and pronounced his judgements. And embassies came from many lands and peoples... ...and from the borders of Mirkwood, and from Dunland in the west. And the King pardoned the Easterlings that had given themselves up, and sent them away free, and he made peace with the peoples of Harad; and the slaves of Mordor he released and gave to them all the lands about Lake Núrnen to be their own."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2015, 11:35am

Post #20 of 24 (37569 views)
Shortcut
I love this speculaton! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I've wondered about Gandalf's awareness of Aragorn and how they met. A collaboration that would change the world!

I absolutely believe Aragorn was considered and discussed by Elrond and Gandalf through the years of Aragorn's youth-to-manhood in Rivendell. Knowing his heritage and seeing his "quality" as he grew, I'm sure his education and training were geared to preparing a future king. When Aragorn was released into the wild/world, how soon did Gandalf know? I would think he'd be the one to place himself in the location Aragorn was travelling for the "chance" encounter... much as he just happened to meet Thorin in Bree. ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2015, 11:46am

Post #21 of 24 (37567 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, but I listed a pair of years wrong! [In reply to] Can't Post

What I should have posted was that, in the book canon, Gandalf was in Rivendell at least twice during Aragorn's childhood, in the years TA 2941 and '42. 2940 and '41 would have been years, in the movie-continuity, when Aragorn was journeying through the North and elsewhere in his mid-twenties.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 2 2015, 12:31pm

Post #22 of 24 (37565 views)
Shortcut
These films have made it a challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm amazed you can keep it all straight!!! *high five* WOW!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 3 2015, 11:42am

Post #23 of 24 (37553 views)
Shortcut
TIME - May 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

May 3, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The glad days of Gondor.
..."And there were brought before him many to receive his praise and reward for their valour; and last the captain of the Guard brought to him Beregond to be judged.
...And the King said... '...Beregond, by your sword blood was spilled in the Hallows, where that is forbidden. Also you left your post without leave... ...For these things, of old, death was the penalty. Now therefore I must pronounce your doom.
...'All penalty is remitted for your valour in battle, and still more because all that you did was for the love of the Lord Faramir. Nonetheless you must leave the Guard of the Citadel, and you must go forth from the City....'
......Then the blood left Beregond's face, and he was stricken to the heart and bowed his head. But the King said:
...'So it must be, for you are appointed to the White Company, the Guard of Faramir, Prince of Ithilien, and you shall be its captain and dwell in Emyn Arnen in honour and peace, and in the service of him for whom you risked all, to save him from death.'
...And then Beregond, perceiving the mercy and justice of the King, was glad, and kneeling kissed his hand, and departed in joy and content. And Aragorn gave to Faramir Ithilien to be his princedom... ...in the hills of Emyn Arnen within sight of the City.
...'For,' said he, 'Minas Ithil in Morgul-vale shall be utterly destroyed, and though it may in time to come be made clean, no man may dwell there for many long years.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2015, 1:30pm

Post #24 of 24 (37550 views)
Shortcut
It's largely a matter of just paying attention. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm amazed you can keep it all straight!!! *high five* WOW!

A number of the time changes are keyed on Bilbo's eleventy-first birthday. First there is the matter of Peter Jackson getting the year wrong (TA 3000 instead of 3001). Another is noting that Sam, Merry and Pippin would have all been considerably younger in the book at the time of the birthday party. Samwise, the eldest of the three, would have been twenty-one years old--little more than an adolescent in hobbit years. Merry, two years younger than Sam, shows remarkable maturity for his age in the following days.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.