The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
mixed, so mixed feelings right now
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 26 2015, 11:35am

Post #26 of 32 (516 views)
Shortcut
People are saying leave the movies and come back to them.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, in fact I said it, didn''t I? And I'm not people, I'm just me. I said it to the OP specifically and for a reason that wouldn't apply to everyone who doesn't like the films. The OP did like the films at first - was very enthusiastic about them in fact, and even while expressing his disappointment he goes out of his way to say that he doesn't mind CGI battle scenes, has no objection to the romance - in short, that he doesn't share most of the most frequently voiced criticisms. So in that particular set of circumstances I suggested walking away for a while - because that's what I would do, and sometimes for me it has worked. Clearly it wouldn't apply to everyone who dislikes these films or any other films. It was just a friendly suggestion to the OP, who seemed genuinely distressed that having once liked the films he has now come to the conclusion that he doesn't like them after all.

As to the rest, there's nothing wrong with not liking a film that isn't very good. There's nothing wrong with not liking a film that is very good - even a multi Oscar winning film - if it doesn't appeal to you. I hated Titanic - but I wouldn't say that it's a bad film because I don't like it, just that it's not for me. And that, I think, is what bothers me most about some of the negative views expressed here and elsewhere. There's nothing wrong in either liking or disliking, both are honest reactions, as are all the shades between. But why the need to heap such an emotional weight on the film and on Peter Jackson and his team? Why does disliking the films so often seem to go with complaints that he's forgotten how to make films, betrayed Tolkien, or fans, or both; that he can't write, can't edit; remarks that question his integrity, his interest in the films.... You haven't said any of these things and I salute you for that, even though I don't agree with you about the films.

(And I enjoy the books more too!)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2015, 5:47pm

Post #27 of 32 (479 views)
Shortcut
Yeah you are right on the approach you made to myself [In reply to] Can't Post

and Ii really appreciate that

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2015, 6:00pm

Post #28 of 32 (480 views)
Shortcut
I am not talking about liking or disliking, Im talking about that from an objective point of view, cinematically, something was made wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it was the short period of time PJ had to prepare the films before start shooting

Perhaps it was that he was tired and he made them because all he owe to the previous franchise

Perhaps there were unnecesary (not bad, but unnecesary, distracting) changes of the filmakers. For example:

Dol Guldur- nice change, almost could be called necessary: explains were Ggandalf was during the gaps he is gone.

Romance- Unnecesary (totally)- I dont mean it is bad, but it doesnt fit, adds nothing to the story and steals (STEALS!) time from the main point. Too much in fact. And that I think can not be justified.

And in the middle of both: Azog-Bolg (Gundabad) line. Adding too much villians ( it steals importance on the MAIN villian wich is the dragon. IT steals importance to the second vilian(Sauron)

Design choices: Could have been more epic. Example: the mess they did with Azog´s design. It was clear that they didnt have a clear idea to go straight forward.

-And here they tried also in LOTR with Arwen. another unnecesary plot line twisted, wich was already covered by Eowyn. Here they made an act of contrition.

-And lastly but no last. The action, you can have action of course, but the fact that physics dont matter MATTERS. Or you can state at the begining of the journey that dwarves have special habilities like hobbits, elves, or orcs. Or you will have this mayhem of wtf sequences (im not talking about barrel chase wich I love)

-The saved in the last second moments (awfull lot)
-Archers in the story (awfull lot!)
-Unnecesary characters beyond reason (two)

Beyond that, there are many things that are great. But there are too many things that are not right...as I said beyond reason.

In LOTR there were and awfull lot of changes, but some of them so wise (not all) that I salute PJ and co for that. But not the case here.

Even the colour grading, looks somehow cheap or sick (Azanulbizar and BOTFA)

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

imin
Valinor

Apr 26 2015, 7:30pm

Post #29 of 32 (451 views)
Shortcut
I agree again with basically everything you wrote here. // [In reply to] Can't Post

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Noria
Gondor

Apr 27 2015, 5:35pm

Post #30 of 32 (393 views)
Shortcut
These are your opinions of the Hobbit trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

and you are entitled to them, but they are not objective truths.

Those who dislike the movies may share your views.

Those of us who like the Hobbit movies will disagree totally or in part.

But it is all opinion.

In my opinion.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 6:13pm

Post #31 of 32 (370 views)
Shortcut
And mine // [In reply to] Can't Post

adt100
Rohan

Apr 30 2015, 12:32pm

Post #32 of 32 (300 views)
Shortcut
The difference with SW is the filmmakers have total free reign... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was there no source text for The Hobbit then the films would undoubtedly have been received more favourably (though still no as much as LOTR I agree).

You could say that PJ went a little 'George Lucas' with the hobbit as GL did with the SW prequels, though personally I think all 3 Hobbit films to be better than all 3 SW prequels (significantly better than 1 and 2).

JJ seems to be going back more to the original 3 films with his sequel, though having just 2 short trailers isn't enough to judge a film on. After all, Into Darkness looked great until we actually saw it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.