The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rank the Armor & Costumes..?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 2:20am

Post #1 of 25 (3892 views)
Shortcut
Rank the Armor & Costumes..? Can't Post

Seems everyone is IN...a "List-Making" MOOD.
SSOoo...What say You about Anne M.'s Costumes?

Difficult.. since SSOoo many are concentrating on HAIR!
Poor Ann isn't getting enough Love
competing with the HAIR Dept.

But, Richard's Armor needs a FAVORITEs List,
as well.

bom will JUS' step aside &
Let you Groovy Guys&Gals have the floor...

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2015, 2:45am

Post #2 of 25 (3802 views)
Shortcut
my top ten [In reply to] Can't Post

my top ten costumes/armor in no particular order:

the Nazgul's armor
the first costume we see Tauriel wearing (with the scarf thing, or was that part of her cloak?)
Galadriel's White Council dress
Thorin's main costume
Thorin's kingly armor
Dain's costume
Bofur's main costume
Thranduil's armor
Thrain's costume at the Battle of Azanulbizar
Bilbo's robe

Speaking of costumes, can someone explain Tauriel's to me? Does she have one outfit with multiple layers? Or did she actually go through a sudden costume change at Laketown?

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Apr 27 2015, 2:47am)

marary
Lorien

Apr 27 2015, 10:44am

Post #3 of 25 (3731 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's armor [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel wears multiple layers and has multiple costumes. For most of the trilogy, she wears a pretty neat brown armor plate. I think she wears this over her clothes in Mirkwood, but she's wearing it in Lake-town/Ravenhill also, just under the long green vest thing.

My faves: Thorin's mail/leather thing for the Battle. There was something strangely modern about it, but it still fit and looked great on him. Definitely my favorite of the trilogy.

Honorable mentions:

Fili and Kili's mail for the Battle also looked amazing.

Kili's blue AUJ clothing. So princely. So dwarfy.

Tauriel's armor/outfit when she's fighting spiders. She fits right in with those trees. Love all the earthtones, detailing, and variety of textures.

Bilbo's patchwork robe. WANT.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 10:54am

Post #4 of 25 (3723 views)
Shortcut
JUS' a Side Note... [In reply to] Can't Post

The pictures coming in from Hobbitcon 3
in Germany..Showed Bomby ABSOLUTELY AMAZING
COSPlayers's love of the costumes,
Which is why
Bom wanted to hear your opinions.

Back to list making.
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 27 2015, 12:50pm

Post #5 of 25 (3703 views)
Shortcut
Easy [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite admire all the work they have done with the costumes, the armors too, but I do prefer the cloaks and coats and such more than the armors.

My favorite is Fili's main and final costume in BotfA. Many has drawn similarities between it and Boromir's in FotR.

I mean it's a good look:

I love the little details on all the costumes. Also loved Bilbo's costumes a lot. Erebor's King crown (not really a costume, but part of it lol).

marary
Lorien

Apr 27 2015, 1:23pm

Post #6 of 25 (3695 views)
Shortcut
yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you know that it always makes my day a little when you make what amounts to pic-heavy Fili appreciation posts?

Well, it does. So now you know. :)

I agree that the detailing on all of the armor/costumes is incredible. I mean, just look at Fili's gloves. Wow. And the trim. And the etchings in leather.

I love the tiered sleeves and layers the dwarves had. It's a good look. Distinctly dwarvish.

One question I have about the chain mail in TH: Why does everyone's mail coats not close across the chest? The Durins and Bard both had this going during the battle. Is there any practical purpose to leaving the center of your torso unprotected? (Other than needing three main characters to get impaled?)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Apr 27 2015, 1:39pm

Post #7 of 25 (3687 views)
Shortcut
As for the unfortunate gaps in the chain mail... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the idea of leaving an impaler-friendly gap might have been at the bottom of that, sadly. It would have been nice to think of them all having mithril vests, but then decapitation would have been the only option really.

It would be wonderful to think that one day there would be an exhibition of Hobbit costumes and props like the LOTR one in the Science Museum in London. I visited that three times and was entranced by the beautiful craftsmanship, and the attention to detail in all aspects of the work. I felt like Howard Carter opening Tutankhamen's tomb - 'I see wonderful things!'

I agree about Bilbo's robe - should be perfectly do-able as a patchwork project, but as most of the fabric in my stash is floral or patterned, it would require some serious investment!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 27 2015, 2:09pm

Post #8 of 25 (3673 views)
Shortcut
Well I did a "rate the armour" post once [In reply to] Can't Post

and Thranduil's armour won. It's both beautiful and functional:

But as for regular clothing, I don't think anything will beat Bofur's hat!Tongue Sorry, I don't have a good image of it. I quite liked Bard's coat, too, possibly because I have one similar to that. No good image of that, either. One of the reasons I love PJ's ME films is the attention to detail that he puts into such things - it really helps bring the place alive. I'll flash back to TTT and Eowyn's dress, and the way everyone in Edoras was dressed as well. The mugs, the furniture, the lighting - it all adds up. So yeah, let's raise our mugs to toast the ME costume designer, (Bofur's) hats off to you!Cool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 27 2015, 2:55pm

Post #9 of 25 (3658 views)
Shortcut
Regarding the gaps in the chain mail [In reply to] Can't Post

Like, one of the many asked questions after the movie has been "Why did they remove the armor before going into battle?!" so what they wear into battle isn't meant to be worn into battle obviously so means they now have these gaps in the chain mail. I mean, Kili does have a chain mail coat-ish thing (though it's basically open revealing some undershirt/chest) and I think Thorin has one under? *gotta re-check* But I'm pretty sure the only chain Fili is wearing is on his shoulders - certainly not a battle wear.

Anyway point is at Hobbitcon Graham (Dwalin) said the reason they removed the armor was because it was a suicide mission. 'One last time' was literally meant to be the last time following him. Hench why the gaps in chain mail was ignored.

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Apr 27 2015, 2:55pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 3:21pm

Post #10 of 25 (3633 views)
Shortcut
KDCW..can you link us back to your "RATE the Armour" post?// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 27 2015, 4:34pm

Post #11 of 25 (3610 views)
Shortcut
Here it is [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Haven't actually looked at it in awhile.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 5:22pm

Post #12 of 25 (3592 views)
Shortcut
Thang you Berry Buch!..Forgot about Elrond's// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 27 2015, 6:47pm

Post #13 of 25 (3565 views)
Shortcut
About the V-necks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

One question I have about the chain mail in TH: Why does everyone's mail coats not close across the chest? The Durins and Bard both had this going during the battle. Is there any practical purpose to leaving the center of your torso unprotected? (Other than needing three main characters to get impaled?)

I don't think there's any practical reason for that - I took a fencing class one semester, and we NEVER left the centerline open! In fact, you always held your sword in front of you to keep that centerline covered. I assumed the V-necks were there because they were sexy, IMO!

See what I mean? As for the armour, I assume they dumped the armour after Thorin told them to stand down because it was too hot & hard to move in, then they just didn't have time to put it back on, LOL!

marary
Lorien

Apr 27 2015, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 25 (3550 views)
Shortcut
sexy v-necks are an important part of Middle Earth mythology [In reply to] Can't Post

Or something.

Another clothing mystery is why the dwarves were suddenly down to their underlayers when escaping Mirkwood. The elves took their weapons, but they got to keep their coats! Why leave the cells without those if they still had them?

There is no good answer in the story, methinks, but practically, it would not have worked to do the barrel sequence in furs.

Likewise, the choreography for those final fight scenes worked a lot better with less rigid armor.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 27 2015, 7:22pm

Post #15 of 25 (3550 views)
Shortcut
Can't leave out Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

He's got that V-neck thing going, too!!!EvilHeartHeartHeart But I'd have preferred he kept the armour on - might not have been able to run in it, but at least he would still be alive!Unsure

Nope, Azog wouldn't have cut through that, no way!

marary
Lorien

Apr 27 2015, 7:32pm

Post #16 of 25 (3540 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's armor in that last pic is pretty out-of-this world awesome.

Is anyone else having a good laugh over the fact that Thorin's top three buttons are popped? Just me? Dwarf goes into battle intentionally sexy.

Possible armor explanation: Armor might actually be better for defense in a seige, defending one small choke point and expecting a hail of elven arrows. For combat on the battle field, lighter armor/regular clothes might be better for agility, flexibility and stamina.

I know absolutely nothing about medieval combat and warfare.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 28 2015, 4:13am

Post #17 of 25 (3480 views)
Shortcut
My picks [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't really figure out how to rank them, so I put them in alphabetical order. Smile

• Bofur's hat
  • Elrond's gold armor
  • Elrond's purple armor
  • Galadriel's White Council dress
  • Golden dwarven armor
  • Thorin's Azanulbizar outfit
  • Thorin's blue coat w/fur outfit from AUJ/DOS
  • Thorin's final outfit in BOFA
  • Thorin/Thror's kingly robe
  • Thranduil's silver armor
  • Thanduil's throne outfit

Honorable mention: Thror's hair and beard bling
Bottom of the list: Thorin's ratty brown bathrobe. I still want to know what they were thinking with that one!

Súleth
The Shire

Apr 29 2015, 6:30pm

Post #18 of 25 (3362 views)
Shortcut
My favourite [In reply to] Can't Post

is Fíli's Laketown costume.

I also like:

- Fìli's final costume
- Thorin's final costume
- Thranduil's throne costume
- Tauriel's main costume with the green vest and hood
- Galadriel's White Council dress
- Tilda's final costume
- Thorin's AUJ prologue costume
- Kíli's main (AUJ) costume
- Kíli's final costume
- Dwalin's Azanulbizar costume
- and all those I'm probably forgetting ...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

(This post was edited by Súleth on Apr 29 2015, 6:30pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 30 2015, 10:01am

Post #19 of 25 (3320 views)
Shortcut
Among others [In reply to] Can't Post

There are others, but these come to mind, in no particular order:

Thorin's blue jacket with the fur cloak
Thorin's regal garment with the dark fur
Young Thorin's overcoat / cape with armholes (in the Erebor flashback)
Tauriel's "spider patrol costume" with the scarf/cape
Bilbo's patchwork dressing gown
Thranduil's armour
Thranduil's silver robe in the Erebor flashback
Fili's greenish leather & chainmail in BO5A
...And the raven crown.

Bottom of the list: Thorin's ratty brown bathrobe. I still want to know what they were thinking with that one!

I agree that it was a weird choice, but fortunately it didn't prevent him looking as #majestic and beautiful as ever. Apparently nothing can. Tongue

marary
Lorien

Apr 30 2015, 10:50am

Post #20 of 25 (3312 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's bathrobe [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that it was a weird choice, but fortunately it didn't prevent him looking as #majestic and beautiful as ever. Apparently nothing can.

"This dwarf could look majestic in a paper bag," was the point.

Apparently, they worked in the bit about it catching on fire battling Smaug because RA got tired of wearing it.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 30 2015, 8:17pm

Post #21 of 25 (3267 views)
Shortcut
I see now [In reply to] Can't Post

"This dwarf could look majestic in a paper bag," was the point.

...That the movie makers wanted to emphasize via the bathrobe. "Look, no matter what rags we make him wear, he's STILL majestic. Now appreciate it accordingly and come see the movie again." (See, Kim, THIS must be what they were thinking.)

I can see how a king might grow tired of walking around in a bathrobe. Dragon fire was a fitting end to that piece of clothing.

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 30 2015, 8:27pm

Post #22 of 25 (3264 views)
Shortcut
Oooh I forgot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides Fili's green-ish leather coat he wears in BotfA - I LOVE Thranduil's long red coat in DoS! It's probably my second favorite costume. I also like Fili and Kili's tunics that they wear under their coats in AUJ/beginning of DoS. I love the details.

And Bofur's hat... <3

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 30 2015, 8:36pm

Post #23 of 25 (3258 views)
Shortcut
There are too many to list... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but Bilbo's travel outfit is my absolute favourite.

So very hobbity.

Kim
Valinor

May 1 2015, 2:33am

Post #24 of 25 (3239 views)
Shortcut
You do have a point [In reply to] Can't Post

And excellent use of photographic evidence to support your claim. Well done.

Dwarewien
Rohan

May 2 2015, 10:53pm

Post #25 of 25 (3186 views)
Shortcut
This is pretty much my list as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
- Fìli's final costume
- Thorin's final costume
- Thranduil's throne costume
- Tauriel's main costume with the green vest and hood
- Galadriel's White Council dress
- Tilda's final costume
- Thorin's AUJ prologue costume
- Kíli's main (AUJ) costume
- Kíli's final costume
- Dwalin's Azanulbizar costume

and here's some more:

Thorin's Laketown costume (minus the "bathrobe" of course). Why does RA look so good in blue? Makes me want to recreate all of Thorin's costumes.Wink
Dwalin's mohawk haircut from the Battle of Azanulbizar flashback (I'm pretty sure hairstyles count)
Galadriel's Dol Guldur costume (another blue costume)

and here's some from LotR:

Eowyn's white dress from TT
Eowyn's beige and brown dress from RotK (I even made my own one Halloween, unfortunately, I don't have it anymore)
Eowyn's "Dernhelm" armor from RotK
Arwen's "dying" dress (which was also on the pattern)
Arwen's coronation dress
Smeagol's outfit in the RotK "prologue" (I seem to like a lot of prologue outfits, kudos to the designers who came up with them) Wink

I'm sure there's a few I'm missing, but this is all I could come with at the moment.

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.