**The Fellowship of the Ring Discussion, "A Journey in the Dark," part 1
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 4 2015, 2:28pm

Post #101 of 108 (2438 views)
Shortcut
Boromir, of all people, was on the right track [In reply to] Can't Post

If only he'd said "How I hate this meloncholy place" instead of "How I hate this foul pool".

It would have served Gandalf right, I think...

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 4 2015, 2:47pm

Post #102 of 108 (2434 views)
Shortcut
A thread with 100 replies! Oh, I mean 101... // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

squire
Half-elven

May 4 2015, 6:24pm

Post #103 of 108 (2435 views)
Shortcut
I like your point about the security in the word "mellon". [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf mocks it, like Gee they were so trusting in those days. And I always agreed - what kind of password is that.

But as you say, to enter you had to be able to speak Elvish! That kind of eliminates Orcs and general baddies, doesn't it?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

noWizardme
Half-elven

May 4 2015, 8:16pm

Post #104 of 108 (2431 views)
Shortcut
In fact, I've just realised: the person wanting to enter not only has to be able to speak elvish, they have to be able to read it too [In reply to] Can't Post

That might in itself be a security precaution, if literacy rates were low.

~~~~~~

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 4 2015, 9:00pm

Post #105 of 108 (2428 views)
Shortcut
How do we know [In reply to] Can't Post

that back in the heyday, there wasn't an enterprising vendor with a little stand next to the doors with a sign that said, "Guide to reading Elvish/Dwarvish door inscriptions including pronunciation key--5 silver coins"? There's always someone looking for an angle in these situatinos.

Which isn't too far-fetched. Remember the old guy by the Paths of the Dead who sat there forever just to say the door was shut? They must have been related.

sador
Half-elven

May 5 2015, 2:39am

Post #106 of 108 (2424 views)
Shortcut
According to Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in the heyday the doors were open, and porters sat there. Apart of collecting tolls and helping lift stuff up the stairs, they probably sold all kind of stuff - from tourist guides to fake truesilver jewellery.

Which brings to mind Tolkien's comment about Dori, Nori and Ori being of Durin's folk but not of the royal line, while the three B's were not, but descended from the dwarves of Moria.
And also Dori's words to Nori, when asked to fetch Bilbo up the tree: "what do you think I am? a porter?" - he wasn't just grumpy, he was pointing out that they brought Bofur all the way just for this kind of job.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 5 2015, 5:13am

Post #107 of 108 (2415 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves of Moria and the Blue Mountains. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Which brings to mind Tolkien's comment about Dori, Nori and Ori being of Durin's folk but not of the royal line, while the three B's were not, but descended from the dwarves of Moria.

Wasn't Moria founded by the Dwarves of Durin's Line? I would think that Bofur, Bifur and Bombur would be descended from the Dwarves who first built Nogrod and Belegost who came to Moria early in the Second Age after the lands of Belariand were swallowed by the ocean.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Modtheow
Lorien

May 5 2015, 2:51pm

Post #108 of 108 (2393 views)
Shortcut
writing via drawing [In reply to] Can't Post

It does seem that the development of architectures is what Tolkien mostly needed to work out in sketches. I was going to say that even though he painted landscapes, he didn't seem to need to do that in composing LotR, but when I think of the places he drew, like Cirith Ungol, Dunharrow, Minas Tirith, they are all placed in a landscape that explains where they are, how to get to them. But he doesn't seem to need to draw a landscape on its own, unless I'm forgetting something? He drew the mountain pass to Cirith Ungol, if I'm remembering correctly, but I suppose that was part of the maps and diagrams that he sketched to figure out how to get his characters from Point A to Point B. What else did he need to draw? Maps to plot the route. Inscriptions and his invented scripts. Definitely not people.

I especially like it when there's an elaborate drawing that takes over the page of writing, as in the sketch of the Tower of K(C)irith Ungol.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.