Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What do you make of the SIZE of the Armies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2015, 3:01am

Post #26 of 35 (2028 views)
Shortcut
Actually, a good count of the pixeled elves shows at least 350 across and 60 deep for [In reply to] Can't Post

a grand total of 21,000!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2015, 12:01pm

Post #27 of 35 (2011 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I came up with at least 3,000 (if not 6,000+) elves based on the square formation.

The orc armies were massive based on the cgi figures and rough estimates made it far larger than Helm's Deep, closer to Pelennor Fields.

On the side of the Free Peoples, then, we seem to have a total that is as much as ten times the numbers suggested by the book. I have to admit that, in my personal opinion, that is far too much. Enough that Esgaroth is at least four or five times as large as Tolkien portrayed it to be.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 30 2015, 12:01pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2015, 3:05pm

Post #28 of 35 (1998 views)
Shortcut
If I use the 21,000 elven army number and guess that it represents [In reply to] Can't Post

40% of the population....as elves are immortal and if at least half of the population are male....then the population in the Woodland Realm might be around 50,000+.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2015, 3:47pm

Post #29 of 35 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Population of the Mirkwood Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
40% of the population....as elves are immortal and if at least half of the population are male....then the population in the Woodland Realm might be around 50,000+.

That number seems awfully high considering that the Wood-elves do not seem to farm extensively so most of their food comes from hunting, foraging and trade. I think it should top-out at about half that estimate or so. But then, Jackson and his crew don't seem to have taken such factors into consideration.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 30 2015, 4:00pm

Post #30 of 35 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it does, but it is just based on the movie figures. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the elves were in decline, and we do not really get an idea of their total numbers from JRRT, we can only guess based on the fact that they were able to have enough troops to fight the orcs when they attacked both Mirkwood and Lothlorien. Even elves would need a fair sized army to deal with thousands of orcs. Would Lothlorien have more than 500-1000 warriors? 2000? Woodland realm...1-2000? 5,000? Just guesses. Rivendell...seem like 250-500 max...but then again, who knows?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2015, 4:27pm

Post #31 of 35 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Since the elves were in decline, and we do not really get an idea of their total numbers from JRRT, we can only guess based on the fact that they were able to have enough troops to fight the orcs when they attacked both Mirkwood and Lothlorien. Even elves would need a fair sized army to deal with thousands of orcs. Would Lothlorien have more than 500-1000 warriors? 2000? Woodland realm...1-2000? 5,000? Just guesses. Rivendell...seem like 250-500 max...but then again, who knows?

Based on the movie numbers the population of the Woodland Realm could easily have been even higher. My estimate of the size of Thranduil's army (book) is 2000 to 3000 Wood-elves, 'though it could have been a bit less.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2015, 10:23pm

Post #32 of 35 (1978 views)
Shortcut
Or it could have been a lot more in the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that the only number given is in the phrase "1,000 of their spearmen" there isn't anything tying down overall numbers.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2015, 10:34pm

Post #33 of 35 (1976 views)
Shortcut
The total was almost certainly higher. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to remember that a large part of the Wood-elf force remained at the Long Lake in the book and was not present at the Battle of Five Armies.

I can't imagine, though, that Thranduil's fighting force was too large if only because his folk were limited by the sustainability of their realm. If he could have fielded an army of over 5000 fighters in the book, I would be much surprised.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2015, 11:09pm

Post #34 of 35 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Who knows about Elven food consumption? [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems to be moving to an outer orbit of speculation. What can we know about how much food would support a population of fictional creatures? If Maedhros can seemingly go for several decades without eating, for example, then surely all bets are off.

I don't think we can put much weight on those foundations!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 30 2015, 11:42pm

Post #35 of 35 (1969 views)
Shortcut
It's not just the food. [In reply to] Can't Post

Elves do like to feast and drink though. Thranduil's folk are limited to just the north-east region of Northern Mirkwood, mostly in small settlements. There is only room for so many, especially considering their rustic lifestyle.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.