Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite Martin Freeman moment in each film.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 25 2015, 4:33pm

Post #1 of 22 (4009 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Martin Freeman moment in each film. Can't Post

Mine:
AUJ alone in Bag End.
DOS looking for the arkenstone.
BOTFA apologize to Thranduil.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 25 2015, 6:06pm

Post #2 of 22 (3888 views)
Shortcut
All of them! // [In reply to] Can't Post

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 25 2015, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 22 (3833 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it kind of pathetic [In reply to] Can't Post

that the best we see of the main character is him saying "yesh, sorry about that" to Thranduil. Imagine if they gave him more lines, it might've been as popular as the book.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 25 2015, 9:45pm

Post #4 of 22 (3826 views)
Shortcut
This is best of Martin Freemen not Bilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo has many good lines. This one is about Martins best acting moment.

frodolives
Lorien

Apr 25 2015, 10:45pm

Post #5 of 22 (3796 views)
Shortcut
I'll go with... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ: reading the contract
DOS: "Mine!"
TABA: the acorn scene

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2015, 11:33pm

Post #6 of 22 (3781 views)
Shortcut
Bomby loves one that might be MISSED? [In reply to] Can't Post

"I'm not asking to YOU to approve.."

In Dale when he goes, wearing the ONE to warn
the 4 up on Ravenhill..

This is where Bilbo kinda, Sorta, DEFIES.. Gandalf
which shows in One little sentence ...
how far he has come..

The Bravery of the smallest characture
Instantly became
a BIG HERO to bomby's mind...

YOU jus' sit there in AWE of Martin!

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Apr 26 2015, 12:23am

Post #7 of 22 (3765 views)
Shortcut
mine [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ: "We do not want any adventures HERE, thank you, not today!"

DOS: right after the barrels go through the floor and Bilbo realizes he's stuck

BOTFA: "I'm not asking you to allow it" to Gandalf, Bilbo seems almost startled by what he just said, so great.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2015, 12:30am

Post #8 of 22 (3760 views)
Shortcut
You are Right, Bomby mis-Quoted Bilbo.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I'm not asking you to ALLOW it"

Correcto-Mundo...DDW

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Apr 26 2015, 12:36am

Post #9 of 22 (3758 views)
Shortcut
haha, I didn't even notice! [In reply to] Can't Post

happy to help though!

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 26 2015, 1:36am

Post #10 of 22 (3750 views)
Shortcut
There are so many! [In reply to] Can't Post

It bugs me when anyone says anything negative about Martin Freeman as Bilbo cause he did an amazing job! It was the script, or the lack of things to do, that sometimes let him down...

AUJ - waking up alone in Bag End. Just sublime, and it's all down to Martin's performance.

DOS - either when he kills that creature in Mirkwood or 'I did not come to steal from you, oh Smaug the stupendous...' the way he delivers all that dialogue is outstanding.

Bo5A - 100% it is the scene with Balin near the end 'to me he was never that, he was...he was...' and saying goodbye to the Dwarves. That scene is Martin at his very best. It's just a shame the Dwarves didn't have any lines in the movie, so it doesn't hit home as hard as it should.

Arthael
Lorien

Apr 26 2015, 2:28am

Post #11 of 22 (3739 views)
Shortcut
Tough to choose, but [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ: "There's Nobody home!"
DOS: the butterflies
BOFTA: the acorn

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Apr 26 2015, 5:47am

Post #12 of 22 (3699 views)
Shortcut
Tough to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many great ones.

AUJ: "We eats it whole" "Fair enough." Though he clearly didn't think so.

DOS: When he first notices Smaug awakening.

BOTFA: With Gandalf after Thorin's death.

I know I'll think of others I liked better sometime in the middle of the night.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/widget/LiveParticipant/727338.png

mo0on-light
The Shire

Apr 26 2015, 9:43am

Post #13 of 22 (3662 views)
Shortcut
my fav are [In reply to] Can't Post

Anj : bilbo scene with gollum
Dos: bilbo scene with smoug
Botfa: bilbo all scenes with thorin

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 26 2015, 4:49pm

Post #14 of 22 (3602 views)
Shortcut
For me actually thanks to MF's ability [In reply to] Can't Post

An interesting thing for me about BOFA is MF's utterly remarkable abilities when he is not speaking - just how completely on point this actor is, face and body.

For instance the worried, cautious way Bilbo approaches Balin and then when Bilbo desperately tries to convey a question to Balin without spilling everything (Ken Stott is amazing here too) and Bilbo even nervously licks his lips and the look in his eyes - IMO between the two it's wholly, completely believable and really ratchets the pathos of what is happening to Thorin IMO - e.g., it's one scene where the effects of the madness are seen affecting characters that care about their leader.

So for me that's a best MF moment in BOFA. Another is the mithril shirt scene where Bilbo is trying so desperately to get through to the maddened, oblivious Thorin. And the end scenes.

Re DOS a telling MF scene for me is when Bilbo is staring at the Ring. And I have always loved Bilbo puzzling out the hidden door - it just seems so quintessentially HOBBITY, so Bilbo, to me - the map and book lover stubbornly thinking and thinking.

Re AUJ - LOL the arrival of the dwarves, and the whole Bag End scene really. And the end hug because Bilbo changes from startled to just taking being chewed out to the hug HeartHeartHeart

And Bilbo/Gollum are flawless IMO. Plus Bilbo's speech *sniff*.HeartHeartHeart

Re the OP - LOL don't think I can ever do just ONE with an actor of this ability, and a character you care about IMO instantly because of MF's skill.HeartHeartHeart And Martin Freeman does so much, without saying anything at all!

Roheryn1
The Shire

Apr 26 2015, 6:19pm

Post #15 of 22 (3577 views)
Shortcut
MF's ability [In reply to] Can't Post

How to choose when there are so many !!!
AUJ The Pity of Blibo I nearly burst into tears in the cinema - so much of vast importance later stems from this one small single moment. Really, SUCH a hinge-of-fate moment ! Will he carry it ??? Yes, he did, and imbued it with such heart wrenching humanity.

DOS Finding the Ring after he drops it and fights the small spider ; his self-realization of how the Ring has already changed him.

BOFA The mithril shirt. No wait, the acorn. No no, Thorin's death. Don't be silly, Bilbo and Gandalf in the pipe scene. Wait, what about him trying to articulate what Thorin meant to him ?
Impossible to choose.
I think I fell in love with Martin in the final scene of The Reichenbach Fall . I was right, wasn't I ?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 26 2015, 7:44pm

Post #16 of 22 (3554 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

such a tough call. I love the look on his face when he realizes Kili is pulling his leg about Orcs, right before Thorin's story. Then there's "I forgot my handkerchief." His entire conversation with Smaug is SOOO well done. And in BOT5A there's "I may be a burglar, but I'd like to think I'm an honest one," "Gandalf, is this a good place to stand?" and his emotional talk with a dying Thorin - oh, the feels! The FEELS!UnsureUnsureUnsure

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Noria
Gondor

Apr 26 2015, 11:52pm

Post #17 of 22 (3526 views)
Shortcut
There are so, so many. [In reply to] Can't Post

Today I’ll choose:

AUJ: MF’s back acting the morning after the party.

DOS: Bilbo facing Smaug.

BOTFA: Thorin’s death scene and after.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 27 2015, 12:01am

Post #18 of 22 (3523 views)
Shortcut
Quick hitters [In reply to] Can't Post

He was so wonderful and this list could change from day to day.

AUJ - Bilbo explaining why he came back to the company.

DOS - Bilbo and Smaug

BOTFA - Bilbo saying goodbye to the Dwarves.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 7:28am

Post #19 of 22 (3500 views)
Shortcut
I'm with BlackFox here - all of them! [In reply to] Can't Post

From the big, dramatic scenes - like his reaction to Thorin's wound, his desperate attempts to keep Thorin alive when he knews he can't - to the tiniest moments - the hand gesture when he says "I am a Baggins... of Bag End"; that "yees" in response to Thranduil - the expressions that cross his face. He holds the screen whenever he's on it.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Apr 28 2015, 6:36pm

Post #20 of 22 (3341 views)
Shortcut
My favourite Martin-as-Bilbo-moments [In reply to] Can't Post

Really REALLY hard to say, because he is a fantastic actor and everything he does on screen is spot on, BUT:

AUJ: Getting upset with the dwarves in Bag End
DOS: Lying to Gandalf about what he found in the goblin caves
BOTFA: Trying to talk sense into Thorin (the mithril-shirt scene) AND when he tells Gandalf that he lost the ring during the battle

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Apr 28 2015, 6:38pm)

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Apr 28 2015, 8:34pm

Post #21 of 22 (3331 views)
Shortcut
Mines. ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

- In AUJ, his stepping out of goblin crowd carrying the dwarves. Visually, the scene is a truly magic moment, with the tremendous 3D scenery, the noise getting away and Bilbo getting alone. For me, that's the precise moment when the Took side took him and got him with his destiny. Interesting to notice that so soon after, he will meet another hobbit.

- In DOS, his 'What have We Done ?" moment, ending the movie with this divine cliffhanger, summarizing altogether what the second movie did, and questioning what the third movie will do.

- In BOTFA, his knocked-down-by-Bolg-instantly instant. In my view, probably the most tragic moment of the drama, for has he been awakened instead of that, he could have put on his invisibility ring and helped to save Thorin, Kili and maybe even Fili. As soon as he was absent, all of them met their fate (if I remember correctly, for I saw the movie only once, I keep the best for my future EE viewings)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

May 4 2015, 4:40am

Post #22 of 22 (3200 views)
Shortcut
So so many [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ: Riddles in the Dark. Loved his whole voice inflection, his mannerisms and it was perfectly Bilbo.
DoS: No One's Home. Loved Martin's interaction with Smaug. One of my favorite parts is how he shushes the treasure after he throws the goblet down and it makes noise. That and his wave of his hand in front of his face when Smaug's snout is right in front of him. Just Brilliant.
BoT5A: The Acorn scene. Beautifully done. As usual by MF.
I really think Freeman was an outstanding choice as Bilbo and I'm so thankful we got him in the role. Terrific Bilbo Baggins and spot on.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you, Gandalf the Grey

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.