Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Founders Week version of What-have-you-been-watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2015, 6:57pm

Post #26 of 45 (1072 views)
Shortcut
I knew it was coming (S1 Spoilers)... [In reply to] Can't Post

...having read the books, but I had lured my mom into watching the show (her and my dad are both hooked on it), and she was positively livid when Ned lost his head. She was yelling at me and swearing not to even watch the Season Finale the following week. The whole nine yards. Cool

Needless to say, she watched the following week. Wink

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Apr 26 2015, 6:57pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 26 2015, 8:48pm

Post #27 of 45 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Just a couple... [In reply to] Can't Post

Breathless (again): Saw this again, and loved every second. Highly recommended to all.

Daises: A really neat Czech New Wave film from the '60's. If you want traditional narrative, don't expect this film to satisfy you. It's a fascinating film, one that plays with the idea of the 'male gaze' and also features many neat technical bits (playing with filters, jump cuts, etc.). Just over an hour long, if you can get your hands on it.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 26 2015, 11:18pm

Post #28 of 45 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Pitch Black [In reply to] Can't Post

Meh. People have been telling me for years that this is an awesome movie that I have to see and I've said, no thanks, it doesn't look that interesting to me, and I finally caved and watched it. I should trust my own judgement on what interests me. PB didn't.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 1:56pm

Post #29 of 45 (1041 views)
Shortcut
We finally saw The Imitation Game [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been wanting to see this for some time, as Turing is one of my personal heroes. I found the movie amazingly well-done, but I was more moved by the documentary "Codebreaker", maybe because it had more of his math in it. "The Imitation Game" focused on his WWII work, but the documentary also looked at the mathematics he did in biological patterns. It didn't really say so, but I could see from what they said that he was not only the father of the computer, but also of chaos theory.

Anyway, the acting in "The Imitation Game" was superb, and so was the filmmaking in general.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 5:16pm

Post #30 of 45 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Pitch Black over time [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't say you're wrong (and funny how saying that, it sounds like I just did), but my first viewing of it, I thought it was somewhere between average and disappointing. For various reasons, I watched it a couple more times over the years, and liked it more on later viewings. I think it's the attention to detail that I liked--there's a lot. Plus the acting is mostly good, and Radha Mitchell has some snappy lines.

The monsters remain disappointing, but the characters somehow grab me.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 5:23pm

Post #31 of 45 (1023 views)
Shortcut
"The Houses October Built" [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it on Netflix and gave it a try. It's found-footage, so don't expect great cinema. The plot is that 5 friends in an RV tour Texas right before Halloween looking for the ultimate, most extreme haunted house, and run into more than they bargained for.

I never quite cared about the characters, but there are some good scares and a mounting sense of danger throughout. Not a great movie, but okay enough to watch on a cold rainy day when you don't want to go outside.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 6:01pm

Post #32 of 45 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I'm still disappointed [In reply to] Can't Post

that Claudia Black wasn't the pilot, being a huge fan of her Aeryn Sun.

I get drawn into this every time it's on TV and I agree, it improves over time. Almost against my will I've become a fan of the entire "Riddick" cycle. And honestly, Vin Diesel's turn as "Groot" made me like him a lot.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 7:23pm

Post #33 of 45 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Pitch Black - my impressions [In reply to] Can't Post

I will admit to liking the movie more than I thought that I would. My initial impression was that it would be a low-budget rip-off of Alien. It turned out to have some interesting twists and turns as well as some well-designed creatures. Vin Diesel's Riddick turned out to be a break-out character.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 8:34pm

Post #34 of 45 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Into the Woods [In reply to] Can't Post

Visually and audibly splendid, but lacking in content. It's messy, uninventive (contrary to its aspirations), oddly-paced and dragging. 5/10.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 12:08am

Post #35 of 45 (993 views)
Shortcut
I always count on you to give us esoteric insights, Cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

How did you come to find that particular Czech film?

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 12:10am

Post #36 of 45 (987 views)
Shortcut
On the fence myself - I have been liking Vin Diesel a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

in other, recent things; bit I never tried Pitch Black.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 12:13am

Post #37 of 45 (993 views)
Shortcut
I was SO looking forward to this! But lukewarm at best [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Into the Woods. Visually and audibly splendid, but lacking in content. It's messy, uninventive (contrary to its aspirations), oddly-paced and dragging. 5/10.

is what I have read. Pacing issues can sink a film quickly, but its a shame such a stellar looking cast didn't make it fly.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 12:16am

Post #38 of 45 (988 views)
Shortcut
I feel exactly the same way about 'Ghost Ship' [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"The Houses October Built." I saw it on Netflix and gave it a try. It's found-footage, so don't expect great cinema. The plot is that 5 friends in an RV tour Texas right before Halloween looking for the ultimate, most extreme haunted house, and run into more than they bargained for.

I never quite cared about the characters, but there are some good scares and a mounting sense of danger throughout. Not a great movie, but okay enough to watch on a cold rainy day when you don't want to go outside.

with Karl Urban. Predictable yet whenever its on, I watch it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 12:17am

Post #39 of 45 (989 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Aunt Dora for the review! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still need to see Imitation Game, if just for Benedict's performance.

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 1:40am

Post #40 of 45 (984 views)
Shortcut
That one... [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a screening on campus. Difficult to come across otherwise, I'd imagine.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kim
Valinor

Apr 28 2015, 3:21am

Post #41 of 45 (973 views)
Shortcut
I liked Pitch Black [In reply to] Can't Post

It had an unusual look and filming style, and a somewhat non-traditional story. It felt very unique when it came out. And Radha Mitchell and Vin Diesel were unexpected main characters. I don't know that I would call it awesome, but I found it very interesting, and usually find myself stopping to watch it if I come across it on tv.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 8:21am

Post #42 of 45 (963 views)
Shortcut
Meryl Streep was excellent, as always, though [In reply to] Can't Post

It's worth seeing for this reason, if not for anything else.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 28 2015, 11:30pm

Post #43 of 45 (943 views)
Shortcut
Well, Meryl: yes. Always watchable. [In reply to] Can't Post

The very fun (among her other amazing films), Death Becomes Her is a Halloween staple around here.Cool

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 2 2015, 3:14pm

Post #44 of 45 (881 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

that about sums it up!

I think a lot of the audience is unaware of what comics really are: our modern mythology. They are, like science fiction and fantasy and mythology, big tales told in broad strokes... superficially full of action and pretty... but deeper down, Meaning. they dive into that dark place, bringing up shining fish and Visions.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Brethil
Half-elven

May 2 2015, 3:38pm

Post #45 of 45 (874 views)
Shortcut
Loved your Ultron review [In reply to] Can't Post

Mjolnir in the lift... that challenge needs to be filmed. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.