The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Getting to know you Founders Day Teaser

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 25 2015, 3:21am

Post #1 of 25 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Getting to know you Founders Day Teaser Can't Post

And also a bit of a personal TORniversary Mathom. As I'm usually doing something or other for FD each year, I tend to forget that my own TORniversary is now. (And yes, the fact that I lurked the boards for 9 years before I finally jumped in doesn't help either Tongue)

So here's a bit of a Founders Day Teaser for you all and my 7th TORniversary Mathom Cool

1. What were you doing the year TORn was founded?

2. Have you heard about Charwen (or Calisurwen)? (Just couldn't allow Founders Day to go by without sharing these again Laugh) How about a caption for the second photo?

3. What first tempted you to post on the Message Boards?

4. Have you ever been 'Glugged'? or cream pied? (Heeheehee, you have now, well apple pied Evil)

5. Share one of your fondest memories of TORn.

Cheers all, looking forward to seeing you at our Founders Day celebrations!

*hugs, love & blessings*
Kel xHeart

Annael
Immortal

Apr 25 2015, 4:21am

Post #2 of 25 (1840 views)
Shortcut
okay [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Hmm, 1999 - I moved from Boise to the town I live in now to take a new job, bought a house, and got all excited when I heard there was going to be a live-action version of "The Lord of the Rings."

2. Nope. Um, caption: "Billy, I may not be your biggest fan or your prettiest fan, but I'm the best of both!"

3. Wanting to connect with other people who loved the book as much as I did.

4. Never been glugged (did a fair amount of glugging), but I got my share of unique pies from Aelric back in the day.

5. The very first pants thread. I laughed until I had to change pants.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 25 2015, 5:12am

Post #3 of 25 (1828 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should mention the pants thread [In reply to] Can't Post

you might want to check out Feedback over the weekend WinkLaugh

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Apr 25 2015, 8:58am

Post #4 of 25 (1819 views)
Shortcut
As far as I can remember [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined TORn in 2002, so I've been around a while and seen many wonderful posts on the boards.

1) 1999, my uncle died and my daughter graduated - on the same day as his funeral! I was with her and couldn't support my Dad, which was difficult. Work, as ever, was a challenge. On the plus side, I visited Norway, which was amazing.

2) Oh yes - how could that, once seen, ever be forgotten?!*
Caption: 'You dancin', hen?' (Really - I've been called 'hen' many times in Scotland)
'No, it's just the way I'm standing...'

3) I joined because I was blown away by FOTR and wanted to revel in it with like-minded people. For some reason I never really took to the official boards and found TORn the best place to be.

4) Not until now! (Mmm, aple pie and breakfast cereal - interesting!)

5) Only one? Argh... that's tough. Funny, sobering, uplifting - there are so many. However - fondest? Well, for me that would probably be so many TORnsibs clubbing together to have that beautiful map drawn, and seeing my board name written among all the others around the edge of it.That's something to treasure.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 25 2015, 10:21am

Post #5 of 25 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Alright, here goes!

1. I finished second grade and started third. It was probably around that time I also had my first encounter with Tolkien.

2. Well, I have now. Laugh How's this for a caption? "All little girls should be told they are pretty, even if they aren't." - Marilyn Monroe

3. I wanted to let swordwhale know how much I enjoyed reading her essay "The Sea Longing".

4. Nope. But I once had a bucket of water poured on me from a second-storey window.

5. So many to choose from (and I've only been here for a year and a half)! Hmm... All the warm replies my first TORniversary mathom received, for example.

That was fun. Thanks, Kel! Smile

Kim
Valinor

Apr 25 2015, 6:22pm

Post #6 of 25 (1792 views)
Shortcut
HappyTORniversary Kel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was travelling all over the US for work (about 50-75% of the time), so didn't have time for much else (and FOTR was nowhere on my radar).

2. Have you heard about Charwen (or Calisurwen)? (Just couldn't allow Founders Day to go by without sharing these again Laugh) How about a caption for the second photo?

I have never heard (or seen) of this. Billy: "Liv sure has changed since the last time I saw her. Just keep smiling."

AUJ, specifically dwarves. I'd been lurking for about 6 months, prompted by my overwhelmingly positive response to AUJ and wanting to read about it endlessly. It was the first (and only) online forum I've joined, so was a little hesitant about posting, but just had to discuss those dwarves! And yes, one dwarf in particular. Ahem.

4. Have you ever been 'Glugged'? or cream pied? (Heeheehee, you have now, well apple pied Evil)

No, not until now! Can you explain "Glugged"?

My first major fan moment was a little over a month after I joined. It was the day the 2nd DOS trailer came out on Oct 1, 2013. I was in Hawaii on vacation, and had been popping into TORn, but wasn't yet a full blown daily poster. The trailer came out about 3 am local time, and I was so revved for it, I woke and watched it, then was somehow able to go back to sleep. I flew home the next day, and didn't get home til late, so by the time I logged into TORn the next day, TH board had exploded with reactions. It was just so much fun to read everyone else's comments and post my own and really feel part of the community. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2015, 6:47pm

Post #7 of 25 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversay Kel!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Having my son! That was a busy year. And I found less time to be online especially with SLOOOOOOO (brrr..burr...beeeeep) dial-up internet. It was a year or two or three til I got more active. And early on I spent a lot of time in Greenbooks.

I've seen that lovely pic before....Vogue maybe?? Sly CAPTION: Arwen looks beautiful today .... but I think she forgot to shave.

My overwhelming emotional response to *finally* seeing FOTR in March of 2002.

I love pie. Thank you. Tongue *tigers!*

Hmm... the first time I got a ModsUp in this nick (from KangiSka, thank you, dear KSCool ). PMing casually, more often, and then realizing I had truly made a new dearest friend here...and then making more friends that could be true, lasting Real Life friendships. That's pretty great.

*hugs, love & blessings*
Kel xHeart

All back atcha Kel!!! Thanks to YOU and the clever Birdie for organizing and inspiring us all!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2015, 10:24pm

Post #8 of 25 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great time of year to have your anniversary Smile.

On to the questions:

I was working. I think that was the year of my first trip to Paris. One of my clients that year was one of the major airlines, and a group of us used the employee discounted tickets to go to Paris for a 4-day weekend. The airline employees would do that all the time - decide on a Friday to fly to Boston, or DC, or whatever. They all had to go standby, but they almost always got tickets. So we went to Paris and it was wonderful.

I was there! It was hilarious. Calisuri set a challenge that he would dress up as Arwen if a particular Sideshow item sold out (at that time, Sideshow was doing LOTR stuff, and I think it was the Minas Morgul piece). Of course, the item sold out, and Calisuri had to dress as Arwen at our first ORC (One Ring Celebration). That was a really fun weekend.

Everyone was having so much fun. It was right after the FOTR was released and everyone was giddy because it wasn't awful. I lurked for a few weeks, loving the fact that TORN was a great mix of movie and book lovers, and I finally got the courage to join in. This was on the old message boards, and if the boards were busy, posts could only be active for a few hours - you could view the posts, but could not respond. Sometimes they would time out in as little as four hours - the conversations were certainly lively, but you missed a lot if you weren't around. Good times.

4. Have you ever been 'Glugged'? or cream pied?

I have not had either happen to me, but I have 'glugged' a few times, mostly on the old boards. We had a LOT of cluelessness in those days.

I have so many great memories, but my best two are the weekend at the Tolkien conference at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the wedding of Roheryn and NZ Strider.

The Marquette conference was a full-on geek-gasm where we listened to the greatest Tolkien scholars for two days, viewed many of the Tolkien archives that are housed at Marquette, and had great times with good friends.

The wedding was so much fun. We all stayed at this cute hotel that Ro found. Every room was uniquely decorated. We had a combined bachelor/bachelorette party, the wedding, and lots and lots of fun. It ended all too soon.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 26 2015, 2:17am

Post #9 of 25 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Me and TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

1. TORn was founded in 1999 and I was just getting ready to finish my junior year of high school.

2. Of course I do. I was in the chat talking with Chris when he made that bet he didn't think the Minas Morgul piece would sell out so fast. It did and we got a great moment out of it.

3. I talked with Entmaiden at sdcc a few years ago. I wanted to start participating since I was doing stuff that was posted on the FP. I thought it was a good way to interact with anyone reading those and chat with fellow fans of Middle-earth.

4 I have not

5. Being asked to join the staff in 2011. I had followed the site for 10 years up to that point and being able to help was amazing. I got to cover sdcc that year as a staffer which was also pretty darn great.

squire
Half-elven

Apr 26 2015, 3:12am

Post #10 of 25 (1760 views)
Shortcut
TORn forever! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's 1999? I was 43. I think I was working as a project manager for an exhibit design firm, supervising jobs at Disneyland, Madame Tussauds, and the New England Aquarium. Tolkien was a book I was fond of from my youth, not part of my daily life at all.

2. Have you heard about Charwen (or Calisurwen)?
I remember seeing those photos on TORn when they first appeared, but I wasn't at the event itself. I think the purple bathing suit is funnier, cross-dressing-wise.

I found the site because of the publicity surrounding the New Line films, but once here I was totally wowed by the discussions in the Reading Room. Sometime near the end of 2003, I think, I began adding my two cents to that forum. I still regret that I missed, by a few months, knowing (on line) the Reverend.

There used to be the "mod down" or "mod up" feature on the boards, and I'm pretty sure I got modded down once or twice. But "I been good", mostly. Altaira can vouch for that.

Participating in the JRR Tolkien Encyclopedia contributors group from the Reading Room was one of the most fun summers of my life (the link is to a longish blog/memoir of that project).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2015, 8:03am

Post #11 of 25 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I was preparing to graduate, finally, from university as a "non-traditional" student. I had taken time off along the way to work, save money, and try to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I was also anxiously awaiting the release of The Phantom Menace; The Lord of the Rings was not on my radar at the time. Silly me. Crazy

2. (Caption) "To heck with Aragorn. I like a ma... someone who can make me laugh. "

3. I joined TORn because I was excited by news that The Hobbit was being cast. As much as I had come to love the LOTR books, I was never as enthusiastic about The Hobbit. But I was thrilled that Middle-earth was going to be on the big screen again. I went to some other sites first, but the people were so disrespectful and argumentative, not what I expected of Tolkien fans at all. TORn was all that I had hoped for and much much more.Heart

4. I'm not sure what "glugged" is, but like BlackFox, I've been splashed in the face with...umm...liquid. It involved a cat on a second story ledge who was trying to make use of a fluttering banner...and missed. This while I was looking up at her saying, "Oh, look at the pretty kitty..." *sprinkle, sprinkle*
CrazyTongueLaugh

5. I've enjoyed my time here and have grown very fond of everyone. EvilHeartBut this year in particular, which has been especially difficult, TORn has brought me great solace and comfort. You have no idea (or maybe you do; I'm sure others must feel the same) how comforting it has been to me to be able to pick up my phone and look in on TORn and enjoy reading about what you are watching, or laughing at your clever captions, etc. TORnsibs really are like sibs, like family I've just not had the chance to meet in person. My life would be a much emptier place without you all. Okay, enough of the sappy stuff.Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Apr 26 2015, 8:07am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2015, 11:39am

Post #12 of 25 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary, Kel!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

OH... GOOD QUESTIONS and GREAT PICS! :D I still crack up everytime I see these!

Leading a very boring, humdrum, empty life. *sigh*

2. Charwen (or Calisurwen)? Arwisuri?
How about a caption for the second photo?
"Pardon me. A statue? I still don't believe you're a hobbit."

I was a very short-time posting (December 25, 2001) on New Lines Official LotR website, and one of their links brought me to TORn around January 8, 2002. I've been here ever since :)

No... but I did have a fish come my way once ;)

sample

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 26 2015, 2:07pm

Post #13 of 25 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Marquette conference [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi entmaiden! The 2004 Marquette conference is also one of my favorite memories. It was the first time that I got to meet in RL some of my Reading Room TORnsibs / TORnadoes (what are we saying these days?) . I still get to see N.E. Brigand and Drogo_drogo at conferences once in a while.

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 26 2015, 2:29pm

Post #14 of 25 (1718 views)
Shortcut
haha! "how hard could it be?" [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved rereading your Encyclopedia memoir. I had never written an encyclopedia article before either, and my first reaction was the same as yours: how hard could it be to write a short encyclopedia piece. I'm not sure I'll ever volunteer to do it again -- you have to find and read every thing ever written on the subject and then distill it into 500 words. Impossible! And yet I'm on record as saying our Reading Room Encyclopedia group was the most intense academic fun I've ever had and the most rigorous fact-checking and proofreading I've ever experienced.

And you're being too modest in your memoir. If I may, here is what Michael Drout had to say about you and the other Reading Room writers: http://wormtalk.blogspot.ca/2006/05/who-is-really-scholar-ive-been-futzing.html

Annael
Immortal

Apr 26 2015, 4:04pm

Post #15 of 25 (1710 views)
Shortcut
Glugging [In reply to] Can't Post

We went through a phase where there was a large & steady stream of newbies coming on board, many of whom did not bother to read the FAQ or obey the TORn board rules, and the admins were kept very busy. We regulars did our part by dealing with the minor infractions, such as bringing up a topic that was already being discussed. At one point, tired of hearing the same questions asked over and over, we invented a "drinking game." So if someone asked "why didn't Gandalf just send the Ring to Mt Doom via eagle?" several people would respond with a "Glug!" meaning "take a drink!" We considered it a gentle way of encouraging people to maybe do a search and see if a question had been asked before, but the gluggees didn't think it was all that kind, and many regulars agreed, and eventually the practice fell into disfavor.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2015, 5:53pm

Post #16 of 25 (1699 views)
Shortcut
So great to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Every year, I try to get to the Kalamazoo conference but real life gets in the way. I'm about a 4-hour drive from K'zoo so it's easy for me to go. Hope you are well Smile.

That was such a stellar weekend.

Aelric
The Shire

Apr 26 2015, 10:51pm

Post #17 of 25 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's set the Way Back Clock to... [In reply to] Can't Post

...forever ago.

1. I was living in Florida, working occasionally and looking for work more frequently than I would have liked. Then someone told me that a live-action LOTR was in the works and this was the first and only site that I ever went to. Lurked for a bit but the folks here were having so much fun that I couldn't help myself.

2. Nope, first I've heard or seen of it. BIlly Boyd looks pleased though...or he may be thinking... "This was not in my contract!"

3. Not sure exactly. Probably just the fun and maybe to cross swords with a (irrational) purist or two.

4. Have I? Don't make me get my pie-a-pult out of the garage.

5. Without any offence meant to those that are here now, as I am sure you all have as much as we did back then, things were just so...different on the old boards. Everything was new. Everything was news. And there were some people here that made me laugh, made me think, helped me through some difficult times, and genuinely made me feel a part of something when I really needed just that in my life.

I've earned my stripes as well as my bread...

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2015, 11:02pm

Post #18 of 25 (1678 views)
Shortcut
Well then, I've never been glugged. I've probably deserved it a few times... :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 27 2015, 2:15am

Post #19 of 25 (1668 views)
Shortcut
And you too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am planning to go to Kalamazoo this year, so if you finally get a chance to drive down, let me know!

It's so nice to pop back in here and see familiar names! I'll try to be a more regular visitor.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2015, 4:55am

Post #20 of 25 (1659 views)
Shortcut
Aelric! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, old friend. Lovely to see you again.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2015, 5:11am

Post #21 of 25 (1655 views)
Shortcut
Memories. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was working away from home quite a bit. I remember with great vividness the evening I heard that the movies were to be made. I was in my hotel room in Wellington (how appropriate) listening to the radio when the announcement came on. A delicious shiver ran down my spine, and I at once called Mr Kimi to share the news.

2. Have you heard about Charwen (or Calisurwen)? (Just couldn't allow Founders Day to go by without sharing these again)
I remember the glorious photos! What fun it must've been to see the apparition in the flesh.

I found TORn very early in its existence, but was too shy to post for several months. I can't remember what post finally tempted me enough, but I know it was Mr Kimi who persuaded me to take the plunge when I said I'd love to reply to someone. I looked around the room for inspiration for a nickname, and saw my beautiful golden Kimi-cat.

Not glugged, but I'm fairly sure Aelric sent a tasty pie or two in my direction. :)

When a group of us went to Wellington, where Kerewyn had arranged for us to be shown around Weta by Daniel Falconer. What a wonderfully special weekend!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Annael
Immortal

Apr 27 2015, 3:32pm

Post #22 of 25 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Piemaster! [In reply to] Can't Post

long time no splats!

Good to "see" you once again.

-- Thomas Moore

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 27 2015, 7:13pm

Post #23 of 25 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Caption: [In reply to] Can't Post

Billy Boyd: I'm not sure if I should smile for the picture or run.

I lurked for quite some time but couldn't resist talking about Sean Bean as Boromir early 2002 after FOTR came out. Was that the year?

I'll always remember the kind words I received after I posted about my granddaughter moving out of my house and to a different state when she was three. I was heartbroken and the comments were so thoughtful and moving.

Aelric
The Shire

Apr 28 2015, 12:21am

Post #24 of 25 (1612 views)
Shortcut
Friend Kimi [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you too! Color me with a genuine smile. Smile I do hope all is well!

Aelric
The Shire

Apr 28 2015, 12:24am

Post #25 of 25 (1609 views)
Shortcut
Hiyas Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

No splats these days I'm afraid, though 15 years prompted me to stop by to pay my respects. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.