Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Shows off special decorations* Welcome to a very special Founder's Day Friday Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 87 (758 views)
Shortcut
*Shows off special decorations* Welcome to a very special Founder's Day Friday Fiesta! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone!

If you've noticed that the bar is especially well decked-out today, it's because this is a very special day! It's the beginning of our weekend-long founder's day celebration! Yep, TORn was founded 16 very fun years ago by four very special people:

Heart Corvar, Xoanon, Calisuri and TehanuHeart

As if that wasn't enough to celebrate, the new message boards turned eight years old on April 17th! So, help us wish Happy Birthday to the boards!

We're also hoping to have some friends join us this weekend who have been all too scarce around here lately. To all of you: a very warm welcome back! We reserved very VERY comfy chairs by the fire or the pool just for you - whichever you prefer. SmileHeart

Be sure to check out the various boards for special Founder's Day features and activities all weekend long, particularly Main, Off-topic and Feedback (partial list below). Look for the threads with **FD in the subject lines. In particular, check out the Thank You to the Founders poem by Brethil which will be on Feedback, and the Get to Know You thread by Kel which will be here on Off-topic. Most of all, here at Fiesta, don't forget to toast to 16 years of TORn, to 8 years of the new boards, to old returning friends and to those that are absent for whatever reason.

*kicks juke box* Celebration by Kool and the Gang starts to play

Happy Founder's Day weekend, everyone!! CoolLaugh

A partial list of Founder's Day features and activities:

MadLibs on Main (Grey Elf/Jayne) and Off Topic (Bracegirdle/Geoff)
Picture Quiz (dormouse/Charlotte), Main (?)
Lore of the TORnstaff Creatures and Valaquenta (dernwyn/Sue) Main
FD Limericks (Brethil/Regina and Dame Ioreth/Lisa) Off Topic
Middle English Vocab Challenge (SirDennisC/Dennis) Off Topic
"Who said that?" (gramma/Jan) Off Topic Tolkien Trivia Quiz (blackfox/Janika) Main

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 24 2015, 4:12pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 4:13pm

Post #2 of 87 (585 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Founders Day! Heart

Boy, have I been looking forward to the weekend! RL is SUPER stressful at the moment and I badly need a distraction. I can't think of a better way to get my mind off things than by having a bit of fun in the company of my lovely TORnsibs.

It's also my brother's birthday on Sunday, but seeing how he won't be coming home for the weekend (he's still doing his military service), we've decided to postpone the celebration till the next weekend (he'll be home for May Day).

Have a great weekend, everyone! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 4:16pm

Post #3 of 87 (575 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founder's Day and weekend, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be lots of fun distraction for you all weekend long. Sounds like it's just in the nick of time. I hope the stress lets up soon! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 4:19pm

Post #4 of 87 (569 views)
Shortcut
Here's to that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 24 2015, 4:25pm

Post #5 of 87 (582 views)
Shortcut
16 Years????????? [In reply to] Can't Post

To think that I was still in my 30s back then. And very soon I will no longer be in my 40s anymore. Crazy

I guess I know what I'll be doing all day. (Yes, boss, I'll be working hard! All day...)

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 4:30pm

Post #6 of 87 (571 views)
Shortcut
You too, RosieLass? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, boss, I'll be working hard! All day...

Seeing as how I'm my own boss, it's going to be a bit difficult to pull the wool over my own eyes. Yet, I still manage to do it sometimes, lol. Laugh

I hope you enjoy your time off on the weekend!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 4:35pm

Post #7 of 87 (574 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founder's Day and Boards-Anniversary! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Since a big cold wave has decided to come through here again (oh dear, the poor birds must be so confused {and wondering why they came back so early}, LOL), I'll take a Winter Usual, with some celebratory whipped cream and sprinkles for the occasion, please. :)

Thanks to you, and of course a huge thanks to the founders of this wonderful site!! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 4:42pm

Post #8 of 87 (565 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear! Another winter usual? [In reply to] Can't Post

You have my condolences, Evey. Frown

Hopefully, mother nature will get her schedule right and warm up your area soon!

Happy Founder's Day and have a wonderful weekend! Smile

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 24 2015, 4:48pm

Post #9 of 87 (572 views)
Shortcut
Hi everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

I still pop in here from time to time but don't post much. I think I'll have a nice glass of red wine and sit by the fire. It's cold here today.

Happy Founder's Day & weekend all!

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 4:53pm

Post #10 of 87 (563 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, sherlock! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have a nice selection of reds lined up at the bar, and a few of the dwarves just stoked the fire, so you have impeccable timing!

I hope life has been treating you well! Smile

Tintallė
Gondor

Apr 24 2015, 4:54pm

Post #11 of 87 (566 views)
Shortcut
It's actually RAINING in San Diego, so. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like an extra hot humungous latte, please, so I can curl up with a good book and stay warm and dry - and awake!

Just celebrated my mother's 95th birthday yesterday, so I'm ready for a little down time.

I can't believe I've been on TORn so long. . .

Many thanks to our founders and to all of the admins that keep TORn the wonderful place that it is!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 4:58pm

Post #12 of 87 (557 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 5:01pm

Post #13 of 87 (566 views)
Shortcut
Whoo Hooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Founder's Day!

I love holidays that spillover into more than one day. And besides, by the time the folks start in New Zealand and then the other folks finish in Hawaii, we're already covering more than 24 hours!

I will be working as go-fer for my scout son who is leading his Eagle Scout Project this weekend. Whatever he needs me to do, he's the boss. He's worked so hard on this just getting things ready... I just want it to go smoothly. We'll be collecting food donations in front of a local grocery store for our local food bank. This coming week is the last part of his project, collecting donations from local churches and schools who have agreed to put out boxes. Throughout he is trying to raise awareness of how food banks run out of supplies in the spring and summer when folks forget about them and families are having to feed kids with no help from school lunch programs. It's a big project with lots of moving parts. So far he's handling it well. He's in charge and cool as a cucumber but I'm a nervous wreck. Evil

I think I'll have a Jack Rose. And make it a double. Maybe that way I can come up with some really good limericks! CoolWink

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 5:04pm

Post #14 of 87 (558 views)
Shortcut
Hello, Tintalle! [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you sound happy about the rain, congratulations! Laugh Congrats to your mom to for turning 95! I'm sure it was a party of special magnificence. Smile

A latte does sound good, doesn't it? I have some errands to run later and that's something on my list today.

Enjoy the rain and the weekend!

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 5:09pm

Post #15 of 87 (556 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founder's Day, Dame Ioreth! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck helping your son this weekend. It sounds like a big, but very worthwhile project. I'm sure you'll be beaming with pride. Smile My nephew is also very close to becoming an Eagle Scout. Last weekend he held a ceremony to retire 166 old and worn U.S. flags he spent months collecting. It was an awesome ceremony, and great to see him directing the scouts, the audience and the local city police color guard.

I can't believe I've never heard of a Jack Rose. It sounds delicious! It's on my list for later!

Have an excellent weekend! Cool

Ciars
Rohan

Apr 24 2015, 5:12pm

Post #16 of 87 (570 views)
Shortcut
Time does fly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, it seems like only yesterday that I ventured onto torn, posting a ringers review for fellowship! Happy founders day and a big thank you to the founders, the new boards makers and the admins! The fellowship of torn deserves a toast, I'll grab a glass of prosecco, sląinte to all!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2015, 5:14pm

Post #17 of 87 (564 views)
Shortcut
I know how to have fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

We are seeing some spring activity around here with the trees leafing out, and daffodils/crocuses/tulips blooming, but it's still chilly here - highs of 50F/10C and lows around freezing. But do I have a fun Wink weekend planned!

Tonight I'm helping some friends move to a new apartment, and tomorrow I'm re-grouting my bathroom. Some excitement for sure!

I'll start the weekend with a beer, since dinner will be beer and pizza, provided by my friends who are moving. I think the best part of helping out is to constantly reassure myself that it's not ME moving, so while I'll do some work tonight, I'll come home to a clean (except for the grout-y bathroom), UNPACKED house. My friends still have the unpacking to do, and they have 18-month old twins to deal with also!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2015, 5:22pm

Post #18 of 87 (561 views)
Shortcut
Hot chocolate please Altaira. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about to head out to a dawn service for Anzac Day. It's 100 years since allied forces, including the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps, landed at Gallipoli in Turkey in WWI. I expect the crowds to be huge around the country.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 5:24pm

Post #19 of 87 (550 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founder's Day weekend, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

We cancelled our weekend plans as Mr. B. got hit with yet more overtime. But that gives me an extra day to put down mulch. I'm still waiting for proper spring: we have lows of one degree above freezing right now, which as it is almost MAY ... hullo.

Daniel, finish that dratted paper and fix the weather, why don't you???? Laugh

Should be a great Sweet Sixteen weekend all around here!

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 5:25pm

Post #20 of 87 (545 views)
Shortcut
Happy weekend, BF. Safe wishes to your bro! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 5:28pm

Post #21 of 87 (545 views)
Shortcut
Jack Rose [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll beam next week when it's all over! Cool

Until then... For some background:
Jack Rose Cocktail

And it looks like this:

Pretty, isn't it? And it tastes divine.

I finally found Applejack brandy and made one this past weekend. I used lime just and didn't strain it som mine came out a bit more cloudy than this. I kept mine on ice too although that is *not* the way it should be served.

I liked reading the history and possible connections of the name. The whole 1920s cocktail scene ala F. Scott Fitzgerald is fascinating.

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Apr 24 2015, 5:36pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 24 2015, 5:28pm

Post #22 of 87 (546 views)
Shortcut
Here's to the TORn Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that. Smile

Have a great weekend, Cairs!

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 5:29pm

Post #23 of 87 (544 views)
Shortcut
Woo, party!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Founder's Day! And a Happy Birthday to the boards!

Sad I couldn't contribute ahead of time to the festivities...hopeful for next year, though.

*makes cup of hot chocolate*

I think I caught a sick bug that's been going around here lately. Trying to get rest while completing ridiculous amounts of work=impossible. Hoping I'll be 100% by Monday. But hey--TORn can be my necessary distraction this weekend.

Otherwise, I'll be working for most of the weekend. Maybe a party, but that depends on how I'm feeling. Oh, and I finally get to Skype with my best friend, who is abroad after near-radio silence for well over a month. Woo!

Have a great weekend, all!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 5:29pm

Post #24 of 87 (546 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it a long drive? That sounds like such an amazing experience!

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
external to our minds awakes."
--J. R. R. Tolkien

AuronLu's YouTube music cover channel

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 5:30pm

Post #25 of 87 (545 views)
Shortcut
Hi, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello - how has everyone been? I'll take a root beer, please! You know you haven't been on here in too long when you see you've missed over 8,000 new threads in OT XD

The last year has been pretty great - I've been teaching at an international G/T school and writing articles on the side for a site reviewing video game music (it's fantastic!). With that and a little Youtube channel I've been keeping up, I've loved how much I've been able to still be heavily involved with music while teaching - it's like I get to combine two of my favorite things! ^^

I'll have to go over to TH boards to see people's reactions of the last Hobbit movie - I'm curious what everyone thought. I have to admit, I absolutely loved the extra Thranduil time - he was such an interesting character after being developed a little.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, TORn-filled weekend! :)

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
external to our minds awakes."
--J. R. R. Tolkien

AuronLu's YouTube music cover channel

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.