Forest photos that would have looked great in Middle Earth movies Can't Post

http://www.boredpanda.com/mysterious-forests/

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 7:08am

Post #2 of 9 (358 views)
Shortcut
Those are gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I lived in Poland, I fell in love with birch trees. They are so graceful and ethereal, the stands of birch trees seemed right out of Middle-earth.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Apr 24 2015, 7:09am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 24 2015, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 9 (344 views)
Shortcut
Stunning photos [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to visit all of those forests - just gorgeous.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 3:14pm

Post #4 of 9 (338 views)
Shortcut
fantastic photos! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great colors...

Then I noticed something about each and every one of these forests...

There is NO understory.

All of them have a beautiful ground level: moss or flowers or other plants... then skinny tree trunks running up to a canopy.

Except for the northern winter forests with their pines.

Here in PA, and down in MD's eastern shore of the Bay, and in the east coast loblolly woods, you have a massive green tangle of shrubs, greenbriar, raspberry, rhododendron, bayberry, whatever. Deer make tiny trail that you have to hunch down and crawl through unless you are a Hobbit. And then you have to duck.

I'm thinking those open European style woods are a symptom of millennia of agriculture, whereas in North America, we only have a few centuries of serious agriculture. The Native people did agriculture, but on a smaller scale. it wasn't until Europeans showed up that the woods changed. You can go to some parks and see sections of woods that are all the same size tree in neat rows almost... because they were planted half a century ago. You can also see old fields growing back into woods, with little cedars and shrubs taking over, and briars and tangley things.

The loblolly woods can be open in places, sand on the ground level, a tendency to be more difficult to grow things... but... greenbriar. And parts of the woods are impassable.

So loving the pretty open faerie tale woods there, but our local tangley woods probably have more levels of habitat.

(posting some pics from the latest march through the woods here: http://swordwhale2.tumblr.com/ )

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 3:21pm

Post #5 of 9 (337 views)
Shortcut
Specific scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

#4 Hallerbos, Belgium and #9 North Greenwich, London, England..#11 Stanton Moor, Peak District, Uk...imagine Frodo and Sam seeing the elves.

#6 Otzarreta Forest, Basque Country, Spain...Old Forest
#7 Chinese Hemlock Trail, Taipingshan, Taiwan and #14 Haute-loire, France....Mirkwood

#5 Beskydy Mountains, Czech Republic....Lothlorien

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 3:41pm

Post #6 of 9 (334 views)
Shortcut
I also think of Luthien dancing [In reply to] Can't Post

http://static.tumblr.com/...luthien_tinuviel.jpg

#9 North Greenwich, London, England

Here she is by The Moss Swamp Romania
http://fc00.deviantart.net/..._by_wf74-d4wwb1z.png

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 24 2015, 3:42pm)

Annael
Immortal

Apr 24 2015, 3:51pm

Post #7 of 9 (332 views)
Shortcut
in Oregon [In reply to] Can't Post

they've started clearing the understory under Ponderosa pine forests as well as cutting trees to make more space and cutting the lower limbs off. Makes the forest far more resistant to wildfires (less chance of the fire "crowning," leaping up to the tops of the trees, which kills them - Ponderosas can survive fires that go by at ground level), and has the added benefit of making a prettier forest. So yes, I'd guess this is the result of wise management.
http://www.timberline-forestry.com/...ponderosa%20pine.png
I'd always thought of Lothlorien looking like that, but maybe in wet New Zealand they don't have to worry about forest fires, so there were no open forests to film in. Here on the rainy side of the Cascades, we don't worry either, and the forest can be nigh impenetrable.
http://images.nationalgeographic.com/...rk_68822_990x742.jpg

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 3:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (329 views)
Shortcut
Is that a 20' blur squatch on the right edge! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can hear Legolas..."this forest is old...."

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 24 2015, 4:00pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 7:51pm

Post #9 of 9 (319 views)
Shortcut
blur squatch... [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueSlySlySlySlySlySlySly

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.