The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Question about "post views"

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 9:27am

Post #1 of 22 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Question about "post views" Can't Post

Just for curiosity's sake I'd like to know how the post-specific "view counter" works - the one that shows how many people supposedly have seen any given post. Could you tell me

- If I go to read a thread several times, does every time count as a new view? So it may look like 25 people have seen the thread, even if only 5 people have seen it, five times each? Tongue

- If I start a new thread and then visit it, to edit or just to check something later, do these also count as separate views?

- When there are new posts in a thread and I only go to see them, but am viewing the forum in Flat mode, I can also see the previous posts in the same thread if I scroll up. Do they get "new views" that way as well - when people go to see the new posts only and don't necessarily re-read the old ones, but they are visible?

- When unregistered guests read posts, do their visits increase the view count? (I suppose not, because with hundreds of guests daily I imagine that most threads view counts would be in the thousands!)

None of this is important, I'm just curious. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 23 2015, 9:50am

Post #2 of 22 (1764 views)
Shortcut
I can't answer any of your questions, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon you should have made each paragraph a separate post. Imagine the views! Cool

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 23 2015, 9:51am

Post #3 of 22 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It works differently for Threaded and Flat modes.

In Threaded mode, each time an individual post is clicked on, it tallies a "view".

In Flat mode, each time the thread is clicked into, I think all the posts in it gain a view.

Yes, going back to view a post or a thread again increases the view count.

I don't know about the unregistered guests. I've never logged out and tested to see if my views counted then.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 23 2015, 10:16am

Post #4 of 22 (1752 views)
Shortcut
Yes, guest views count too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 2:25pm

Post #5 of 22 (1741 views)
Shortcut
Um, no :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Not a good idea - I'm not trying to "collect views", instead I would have preferred if, for example, my own visits to "my thread" would not be counted for, or if multiple visits to a thread were not considered... I'll specify in another post to Silverlode.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 2:31pm

Post #6 of 22 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Good to know :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the answers. Interesting - so the more people view the forum in Threaded mode, the less "extra views" posts get? And similarly, viewing in Flat mode results in redundant views for all posts in a thread? I never would have thought that the Flat vs. Threaded mode affected the number of post views.

OK, part of the reason I asked is this thread that keeps sliding into oblivion (now on page four, for those who have not changed their settings on how many threads are visible on one page - I have mine set to a hundred). Now that I know my own visits in the thread increase the post view number, I have a more realistic idea of how many people actually read or view it. Apparently there are still a handful of people interested in the topic, and I suppose/hope they care to find the thread no matter how far behind it falls.

Now I need to take into account that the posts there may get extra views due to my having posted this one, and not because of more people having found it / gotten interested. Tongue

Again, none of this matters really. Smile Thank you!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 2:33pm

Post #7 of 22 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Ok :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you BlackFox. Smile That's a surprise - one day during the BO5A fever (December/January), for example, I noticed that over 2 000 guests had accessed the forum within 15 minutes. They must have visited quite quickly and selectively, or all new threads would have had thousands of views (the guests and the registered users combined).

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 23 2015, 3:58pm

Post #8 of 22 (1725 views)
Shortcut
A lot of the guests [In reply to] Can't Post

are searchbots (e.g. google), so they only hit an individual post once to collect information about that post for search engine purposes. Wouldn't surprise me that there were 2000 guests at once though, given how rapidly the boards were likely moving then.

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 23 2015, 4:36pm

Post #9 of 22 (1721 views)
Shortcut
If something has fallen off the first page [In reply to] Can't Post

You can always start a new thread, and in this case, you might want to link to the original thread.

Many times, people have set up a "watch" to threads so if there is a response, they get an alert through e-mail. Some folks also set up an alert when they get a response to their post. That might be part of the explanation why your post still gets replies, even though it's dropped off the first page, but also because they are interested in the topic!Smile

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 22 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Oh, of course [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't even cross my mind that searchbots are likely to crawl around the board day and night. But then again, I didn't know they would be considered "guests" by the board software.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 22 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm considering starting a new thread, but I'm somehow hesitant to open thread after thread for the same topic... I guess I'm nervous that people here will get tired of seeing them. "Oh no, yet another thread of that same old topic!" (and OLD it is indeed Tongue) also because the topic/subject doesn't show that the contents are evolving and moving towards new themes. Of course, threads are easy to ignore in any case, so maybe I'll make another one (again - this was number 2). The nature of the posts makes it impossible for me to make new ones fast enough to keep the thread on the first page for long.

There are not so many replies anymore, but not all of the views are my own Angelic (even if I have had to check something afterwards) and via some PMs I have understood that some people are interested.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Apr 23 2015, 5:55pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 23 2015, 6:38pm

Post #12 of 22 (1699 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been replying, but not for lack of interest. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just plan to binge-read all the posts when I can I dedicate enough uninterrupted chunks of time to give the topic the kind of quality attention it deserves. I only do a quick scan now to see what's new, but I will go back! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 9:02pm

Post #13 of 22 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Eowyn! Much appreciated. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2015, 9:08pm

Post #14 of 22 (1676 views)
Shortcut
I would love to read more of your posts, Ilmatar! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 9:16pm

Post #15 of 22 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Brethil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly, my posts in this thread were not meant as an advertisement nor a complaint, even if they can be appear as both. Blush I have been idly curious about the "post view count" since I first noticed it because I don't think I've seen it in other forums where I've posted over the years.

Having said that' I'll try to make the next post over there by Sunday. Can't know for sure because I finally have BO5A at my fingertips, waiting... Tongue But within a week at least!

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2015, 9:22pm

Post #16 of 22 (1672 views)
Shortcut
I see no negative appearance at all! Just some random cheerleading... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Cool ... from the treeline!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 23 2015, 9:34pm

Post #17 of 22 (1666 views)
Shortcut
Thanks again [In reply to] Can't Post

"Random cheerleading" is delightful! Cool

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 23 2015, 10:18pm

Post #18 of 22 (1663 views)
Shortcut
What might be useful [In reply to] Can't Post

is to include in the first post of your new threads, links to each of your other threads on this topic. That'd make it easier for anyone who is interested to read through the other information you've posted.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 5:59am

Post #19 of 22 (1615 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you know my post was a silly joke. I really enjoy your posts. Smile

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 24 2015, 8:13am

Post #20 of 22 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Ataahua. Smile I did link from that thread (number 2 as it is) into the original thread.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 24 2015, 8:17am

Post #21 of 22 (1606 views)
Shortcut
Certainly, all is well [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why the ' Laugh ' was there. Smile And thank you very much!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 24 2015, 8:24pm

Post #22 of 22 (1586 views)
Shortcut
In Flat Mode... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think only posts on the page that is opened get views.

This is a guess based on how the unread posts seem to behave. Sometimes I will open a thread in Flat Mode to the oldest unread post, read the page, and not notice the next page of posts. When I do, posts on that next page remain "unread".

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.