Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you have any Dream Trips and/or Pilgrimages you'd like to make someday?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you have any Dream Trips and/or Pilgrimages you'd like to make someday?
Europe (Includes both continental Europe and the British Isles)
Aisia
Middle East
Africa
Austrailia
New Zealand
North America
South America
Antarctica
Other?
I don't dream of traveling
View Results (91 votes)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 5:17pm

Post #1 of 27 (2383 views)
Shortcut
Do you have any Dream Trips and/or Pilgrimages you'd like to make someday? Can't Post

This poll was actually inspired by The Grey Elf's poll about flying.

Do you have any Dream Trips and/or Pilgrimages you'd like to make someday? Where do you want to go and why? I've allowed multiple answers for the poll.

For myself, there are a good handful of dream trips I'd like to make someday, most of which are overseas (I'm in the U.S.A.). First of all, there are several places I've dreamed about traveling to for my entire life, including, but not limited to: Ireland, Scotland, England, and Wales. Probably in that order. This is mostly because I have strong ancestral ties to those locations. If I could find out the approximate regions in which my respective ancestors lived in those countries and then visit those specific regions and learn what it was like to live there during the times in which they would have lived, it would make my little heart very happy.HeartSmile

I also have some strong-ish ancestral ties to places in the regions of Western Continental Europe (spans from France to Germany and the countries in between), Scandinavia, Italy/Greece (explains my love of Italian food I supposeTongue), and Finland. (All of this is according to an Ancestry.com DNA test, btw, hence the vague locations.) I'm not sure of the exact countries from which my ancestors came in those instances, so if I could do some digging to find out and then travel to those places, I think that would be nice as well.

As far as "Pilgrimages" go, I would, of course, love to go to New ZealandCool and explore Hobbiton and the places where they filmed LOTR and The Hobbit. I'd love to go to England for the sake of seeing where both Tolkien and C.S. Lewis would have lived and worked, and I want to see a bunch of other historical locations there too. As a Christian, I also have some desire to go to Israel and walk in the footsteps of Jesus. Plus, I very recently was surprised to find out that I may have ancestry from that region as well, which makes for some extra incentive to go there, but given the intense violence in the Middle East, that dream, unfortunately, comes with many more hesitations than the other places I want to go.

Soooo, that's all of the places I want to go. What about you? Tell us where you want to go and why. We wants to know, preciousss.Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 5:52pm

Post #2 of 27 (2326 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Paris tops my list, followed by Italy, Japan and New Zealand.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 22 2015, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 27 (2309 views)
Shortcut
Europe and Asia [In reply to] Can't Post

I served in Japan in the USAF, but I would love to take my wife over there on a vacation. I'm sure that we would both also like to see Europe, especially the British Isles.

Fimbulfambi
The Shire

Apr 22 2015, 8:34pm

Post #4 of 27 (2301 views)
Shortcut
travel [In reply to] Can't Post

I really would like to go to AUS and NZ. There are too many reasons.

I also want to revisit the UK. I also want to go to Iceland. There are a few places in the USA I'd like to go, but those are not prioritized.

There are not a lot of places that I really want to go to or dream about visiting. Only the above. After that there are a lot of places that I would like to go, in general, but it is not a must.

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 8:43pm

Post #5 of 27 (2304 views)
Shortcut
I've always wanted to go see the Egyptian pyramids. [In reply to] Can't Post

Egyptology is fascinating to me, and I can't fathom what it would feel like to stand next to a man-made object that is thousands of years old.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2015, 12:38am

Post #6 of 27 (2289 views)
Shortcut
Space ... the final frontier [In reply to] Can't Post

some great technological breakthrough would be necessary for it to happen.... or the arrival of aliens who are willing to take passengers... though I would much prefer it be willing passengers not captives.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 23 2015, 3:13am

Post #7 of 27 (2266 views)
Shortcut
several [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to visit Delphi in Greece at least once; I want to go back to Scotland but this time get up into the Highlands & out to the Isles; and of course I want to go to New Zealand.

And I'd like to go to London at Christmastime. Been before but only in the summer.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 23 2015, 3:52am

Post #8 of 27 (2264 views)
Shortcut
Great topic Eruvandi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Similar to you, my family ancestry comes from England, Scotland and Wales, so I would like to visit all of those. It's been almost 2 years exactly since I first got the chance to go to England, and would like to be able to see more of the country (Cornwall, the Cotswolds, the Lake District, the rest of the British Museum Tongue), and make my way up to Edinburgh and the Highlands. I've also always wanted to go to Australia, and somehow New Zealand got added to the list somewhere along the way. Wink I just started a new job, and the new vacation fund will be starting with my first paycheck towards my first goal: New Zealand and maybe Australia next January!

I didn't include this in my poll answers, but I've been to 25 of the 50 States, so may try to put the rest of those on my list too. I could probably knock off a lot of those East Coast states in a day and a half! Angelic

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 23 2015, 8:15am

Post #9 of 27 (2259 views)
Shortcut
I've already done several "dream trips". [In reply to] Can't Post

Antarctica (Ross Sea area) 2011
Alaska 2003: Southeast on 100' sailboat, and drive into tundra between Anchorage and Juneau; 2004: Anchorage marathon followed by Kenai peninsula)
Australia: Sydney & Hobart in 2011; need to see more!
New Zealand: Christchurch & Auckland in 2011, a lot more in 2013; still more to see!
England: many trips 1971-2010, never tire of it!
Cruise around British Isles (many stops) 2009
Belgium, Paris, Prague late 1990's on business, need to go back for fun!
Germany: late 80's, need to go back
Iceland, Greenland, northern Canadian archipelago (failed Northwest Passage attempt) 2014

I want to spend more time in Prague, Vienna, Budapest; see the Baltic & St. Petersburg; visit classical antiquities in Greece; go back to England & NZ more.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Apr 23 2015, 8:21am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2015, 4:59pm

Post #10 of 27 (2239 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow, I knew someone would say space and make a Star Trek reference.Cool Traveling through space would be pretty cool if it were technologically possible and didn't involve abduction by aliens. Just imagine being able to see a nebula up close, or watch a star being born, or explore unknown planets outside of our galaxy!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2015, 5:38pm

Post #11 of 27 (2237 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you're very well-traveled, Elizabeth! Color me green with envy.Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2015, 6:19pm

Post #12 of 27 (2237 views)
Shortcut
I have serveral dream trips I want to take [In reply to] Can't Post

.. but unless I win the lottery or find out that I have a long-lost relative who dies and leaves me money, those trips will most likely be taken by my kids.

My daughter has already been to Italy. I would like to eat my way from toe to top and then hop over to Vienna for dessert and a concert. I'd like to visit the villages where my ancestors came from in Poland, Germany, Italy and Ukraine. I'd like to go to Egypt when it becomes safe again to go there. I'd like to go to England and live there for 6 months and visit all over the British Isles and then stand at Lands End and look west and think of home. I'd love to visit Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Islands and every National Park in the United States.

If anyone is taking any of these trips and has extra room in their suitcase, I'd be glad to take up the space. Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2015, 6:32pm

Post #13 of 27 (2230 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oooh, the Highlands! That would be the number one I'd want to go if I ever got to Scotland. Preferably it would be at a time when they were having the Highland Games so I could see those.

I just started a new job, and the new vacation fund will be starting with my first paycheck towards my first goal: New Zealand and maybe Australia next January!

Awesome! Good luck, and I hope you reach your goal!Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 6:21am

Post #14 of 27 (2212 views)
Shortcut
Good to see [In reply to] Can't Post

New Zealand coming fourth. This is our usual placing in international competitions.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2015, 6:55am

Post #15 of 27 (2205 views)
Shortcut
All of the above *sigh* // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 24 2015, 8:32am

Post #16 of 27 (2202 views)
Shortcut
Uh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I listed the runner-ups alphabetically. Honest! Angelic

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 24 2015, 5:22pm

Post #17 of 27 (2178 views)
Shortcut
Malta for the history, [In reply to] Can't Post

and Norway for the fjords.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 24 2015, 10:04pm

Post #18 of 27 (2173 views)
Shortcut
Had to vote Europe.. [In reply to] Can't Post

even though I've been there. Twice.

England
Belgium
France
Germany
Netherlands
Austria
Switzerland
Italy
Oh, so many wonders to see..

Also of course
Mexico
Canada
Hawaii
Alaska

And
SE Asia
Philippines
Vietnam
Hong Kong
Japan

Image result for jackalope
I have also lived a great portion of my life near the wonderous deserts of S. Idaho where the Jackalopes are said to frequent. WinkWink

JACKALOPE
(Lepus-antlerius-temperamentalus)

Certainly one of the rarest and most elusive animals in the world, seldom seen, and almost never captured or killed. Mostly nocturnal, traveling in packs (known as flurries) of 20-30, they attack with a blinding savage fury, and can gnaw the legs off a mature adult human male before he can say “Cuddly little bugger!”

Their status as “myth”, it is thought due to their extreme and uncanny speed. A small flurry of Jackalopes can bound across the desert with such acceleration and braking prowess that dust-devils and occasionally small tornados are created; and it has been documented with modern high-speed cameras that they can commence and complete the act of propagation during the strike of a single lightning bolt!

A cross between the fearsome Jackrabbit and the docile shy Antelope of the American Western Desert, they should NOT be approached by any but the most brave of heart, as they will squeal like a milkless human baby and attack en-masse any animal, no matter the size or formidability, which comes near their protective territory, chewing unmercifully with their massive teeth and gouging fiercely with their awesome antlers.

Known erroneously as “Deerbunny”, or “Pygmy-deer” and more jokingly as the “Horny Hare”, the more fearsome and accurate name of Jackalope was adopted in the early ‘60s by one Jack L. Lope of Lower Desert Dome, Idaho, and the name heretofore has remained.

None have ever been certified to have been captured alive although in 1846, while trapping the elusive Giant Snipe in the Great Red Rock Basin in southwestern Montana, Narn Headley the notorious mountain man of myth and fable claims to have done so, losing the first 3 inches of his nose in the process – and was thereafter known as “No-nose Narny”. But, having been caught in the well known Great Blizzard of ’46-47 Narn was resorted to eating the carcass of the beast, de-furring it for ear muffs, and creating cleated snowshoes of the antlers, leaving no concrete evidence of his alleged fortune.

Legend has it that one can (carefully) extract the milk of the Jackalope as it sleeps belly-up - just before sunup. The milk, it is said, has a great medicinal value in curing a great many afflictions, such as the Pearly Bear Rash, Pink Eye, and Male Jock Itch; and a poultice of the milk mixed with a Sage-fungus is said to totally eliminate vaginal yeast infections in women of the female persuasion. This dangerous effort of milk extraction should never be attempted by anyone inexperienced or of a nervous temperament. This warning should suffice.

Of this no more can be said. BG

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 25 2015, 12:02am

Post #19 of 27 (2167 views)
Shortcut
No need to convince me. [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad has a jackalope skull mounted on a wall.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 25 2015, 1:16pm

Post #20 of 27 (2143 views)
Shortcut
I voted Asia. [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically, I would love to visit Japan. I find what I know of its history and culture fascinating. Though the thought of flying that far is very unappealing...I have been in China and India on business and those flights are not fond memories.

Though Europe is also high on the list and has much shorter flights from the Eastern US where I ive. I'd love to see more of Britain (only been to London) and France (only been to Paris).

Me85
Rivendell

Apr 25 2015, 2:58pm

Post #21 of 27 (2136 views)
Shortcut
I've been to Egypt [In reply to] Can't Post

And seen the pyramids. They are amazing! You really do wonder how they moved those gigantic stone blocks cause they're HUGE. I was surprised to learn that those pyramids were located right next to the city. So when your're in the city you can see them sticking out above the buildings. It's an amazing view. The museum there is also amazing. Out of all the places i've been to the people there were the nicest. Very hospitable and generous.

Places i've been
England
France
Germany
Italy
Turkey
Egypt
China
Malaysia
Florida ( Caribbean cruise)

Most beautiful city was Rome. More beautiful than Paris imo. Most amazing things I've seen are the Pyramids and Sphinx.

Where i'd like to go : everywhere else . If only i had the $ Frown
There is so much to see!
Mainly
South America
New Zealand
US
and more

I'd also love to learn how to dive. Done it once already though.

(This post was edited by Me85 on Apr 25 2015, 3:03pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

May 1 2015, 8:09pm

Post #22 of 27 (2052 views)
Shortcut
My dream trip = NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been yammering about it and saving my pennies for over 2 years; think it will be a "GO" next March. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Australia while I'm at it, I've always wanted to see the Barrier Reefs but not sure I can swing that.

As far as "Pilgrimage" goes, my hubby and I would like to see the Vatican someday. I'd also love to see Petra and some of the places in Israel, Bethlehem and Jerusalem to be sure. But I don't think that will ever happen.

I was in the USAF about 30 (something) years ago, and spent 2 of those years stationed in England. I took full advantage: went to London at least once a month, made it to Wales and Scotland (New Year's party In Edinburgh - oh, what a night!), toured Sweden and Norway - saw a Viking museum there, also went to Octoberfest in Munich and spent a "lost weekend" in Paris, another in Amsterdam. Still, there was much I didn't see. If I ever get to go back I'll make it to Ireland for sure, possibly Denmark, Austria and Greece. But to be honest there's alot of places in the USA I haven't seen, either: Alaska, Mt. Rushmore, New Orleans, Yellowstone, the list goes on. Maybe when we retire my hubby and I will trade our house for a motorhome!

"Home is behind, the world ahead...."Cool

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 13 2015, 4:41pm

Post #23 of 27 (1926 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

that summer it up nicely! Cool

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 13 2015, 4:50pm

Post #24 of 27 (1926 views)
Shortcut
where the beer and the jackalopes roam [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

back in 1984 I travelled across the US from PA to Oregon and back again (by a more southerly route), in a van with two small kids, three adults and lots of camping gear. We woke up at dawnish, ate breakfast, broke camp and drove until something interesting came up on the map (no GPS back then). Stopped and checked out tiny museums in obscure towns, were trapped on the north/south road during the the Dayville Fourth of July Parade (going on the east/west road), visited an Arabian stallion seen in Robert Vavra's "All Those girls in Love With Horses" (http://www.amazon.com/Those-Girls-Love-With-Horses/dp/0688006493), searched for model horses (the wild west has like none) in towns out of the western I watched as a kid, shot a billion pics (OK, 36 rolls of 36 exposure film), camped on top of some sort of rodentia burrows in the Rockies, huddled under all the blankets I could find... in July. Walked barefoot in snowdrifts in July. Climbed to 12,500 feet and stared at a (can't breathe because I'[m carrying a five year old) sky an unbelievable dark blue. Saw that tower thing in Close Encounters (no aliens though). Waded in a ridiculously cold Pacific Ocean (and understood why everybody there has a wetsuit).

I highly recommend travelling across the US by car if you can. There's still a lot to see. And we're fairly safe.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 13 2015, 9:24pm

Post #25 of 27 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Hey, that's the year we did it too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Travelling from Long Island Sound to Pacific Ocean and back, two adults and a nearly-two-year-old. Tent camping, or staying with friends, taking the occasional motel to do laundry (or avoid flash floods, there was a nasty rainstorm near Reno, or unwanted local fauna, the Rapid City campground was overrun with crickets).

Objective was the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. Stayed with cousins, traded babysitting for tickets to the events (we go to the inexpensive early rounds, you see everyone from the eventual winners to those just trying with all their heart, and you give them the biggest applause).

Yeah, the Devil's Tower looks impressive from 20 miles away! Did you eat at Wall Drug? We have pics of only half the trip, sand got into the camera at Huntington Beach and we didn't find out (get the film developed) until we were nearly home... Unsure

Oh yes, definitely. Travel across the U.S.!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.