The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The return journey.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 1:58pm

Post #1 of 13 (1029 views)
Shortcut
The return journey. Can't Post

Which return journey did you like best Hobbit or Rings? Which one was closer to the book? The return journey does not include the grey Havens or old Bilbo.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 2:08pm

Post #2 of 13 (992 views)
Shortcut
I think that was later [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, Sam had gotten married & was a Dad. But probably Bilbo's, because it was kind of humorous and Martin was so good in those scenes - well, all of his scenes, really.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 2:36pm

Post #3 of 13 (979 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Bilbo's return journey a little better possibly, but it's so short. I wish they would afford us a little more scenery.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 2:48pm

Post #4 of 13 (974 views)
Shortcut
There isn't a return journey as such in Return of the King..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a map, and Frodo's voice-over: there are no scenes between the four hobbits at Aragorn's coronation and the four hobbits riding into Hobbiton.

There is much more of the actual journey shown in Battle of the Five Armies. I wasn't expecting to see it and was delighted when we did.

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 3:47pm

Post #5 of 13 (942 views)
Shortcut
That's true [In reply to] Can't Post

Think I had forgotten how it was in RotK for a moment Laugh

But yeah so I prefer the Hobbit one because a little is better than nothing and I do like the parting scene with Bilbo and Gandalf in the forest too =)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 4:20pm

Post #6 of 13 (914 views)
Shortcut
You are right [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnīt mean only the return journey I also meant what happen right after the return journey. Like the auction and how Bibo and Frodo are feeling after the journey. And how different it is from the book like The Scouring of the Shire.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 22 2015, 4:20pm

Post #7 of 13 (917 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's return to Bag End more closely matches the book of The Hobbit than the return of Frodo and his companions in LotR. This might be even more true when we see the extended edition of TH:BotFA.

Main difference, of course, is that in the LotR films Peter Jackson had already killed off Saruman and Grima Wormtongue so presenting their return journey and the Scouring of the Shire would have been problematic at best--which is a shame because I think that it is important in the book to see just how the hobbits' journey has forced them to change and grow.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 6:00pm

Post #8 of 13 (877 views)
Shortcut
Do you all realize that when Bilbo says Goodbye [In reply to] Can't Post

to Gandalf?..It's in the same spot as when Bilbos joins
the Company?

He runs up & hands the contract to Balin in the forest,
In..AUJ there.

He walks away from Gandalf in the very same place
in BO5A...

Why is Bomby SSOoo certain of this?
Look closely @ the Trees in Both scenes.

There is One Tree in the Background that has a HUGE
"Burl', near it's Roots..
{Jus' another Geeky observation from your Buddy, Bom.}

But is kinda Cool that?..
THAT one Spot began his journey as part ot
the Company...& it ends his journey saying
Goodbye to
Good ol'
Gandalf.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 6:08pm

Post #9 of 13 (859 views)
Shortcut
That's true... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I think the filmmakers also had a good point in deciding that for a cinema audience the Scouring of the Shire would be too much to cope with after the huge emotional climax of Mount Doom. I'd say they were right about that - and the moment they put in, when the four hobbits are drinking together, back home in an unchanged world that cannot comprehend what they've been through, does show how they've changed and grown, but in a very different way. I love that little scene - it's a perfect evocation of how men felt who came home from the First World War.

The Scouring is right and important in the book - I think they would have had a hard job to make it work on film, and not because of Saruman and Grima. With them I think it's the other way round - they killed them off earlier because there was going to be no Scouring, so there had to be a different end to their story.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 6:24pm

Post #10 of 13 (842 views)
Shortcut
I thought the place looked familiar! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and Gandalf also pass through some familiar-looking lupine fields -- perhaps on their way home from Beorn's? Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 6:25pm

Post #11 of 13 (836 views)
Shortcut
All of this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 7:17pm

Post #12 of 13 (806 views)
Shortcut
Me too, everything dormouse said [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Scouring in the book but like Tom Bombadil, I don't think it would have worked in the movie.

In RotK, the way that the four Hobbits ride back into the Shire and the scene in the Green Dragon say all that needs to be said.

I like Bilbo's return journey in BOTFA and though it is not very long, I think it's sufficient. His parting from Gandalf is beautiful.

What I like about the auction scene is that MF brings a little more asperity to it than I imagine from ever coming from book Bilbo. That quality is one of the things I like best about MF's Bilbo.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 23 2015, 4:03am

Post #13 of 13 (700 views)
Shortcut
That's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never quite put that together, but always felt something niggling at me when watching that final scene with Bilbo and Gandalf. Will have to remember to keep an eye out for that burl on future viewings. Thanks Bomby!

"The earth laughs in flowers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.