The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
CinemaSins: Everything Wrong With The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 7:17am

Post #1 of 29 (2233 views)
Shortcut
CinemaSins: Everything Wrong With The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbY8yzy3cQ0

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 8:12am

Post #2 of 29 (2120 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite enjoy CinemaSins and while I'm not as picky as they are about logic (though they make a looot of sense here) I do find myself agree with much of it. Like Legolas running up those falling stones made me angry. It's so idiotic.

Nothing wrong with Fili's death though. I was sure they would put a sin about supposing to care about this dwarf, but I consider it better that it's left out completely Laugh The lovestory I agree with too. Awful.

Though nah I'm not this hateful of it Laugh

marary
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 9:59am

Post #3 of 29 (2077 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Laughed out loud for the random Lake-towners giving convenient bits of information to Bard while he runs around the city. So true! And yes, he totally would have killed his kids with that carriage stunt.

And bro-hug in the middle of a battle. Smile Niiice.

SO spot on about the excessive last-minute saves.

I'm really sad they didn't give a sin for Thranduil decapitating 5 orcs at once. That was somewhere up near Legolas's stairs antics, right?

ETA: Still split on whether or not Bilbo's rock-throwing is a sin or not. On one hand, it looks ridiculous, OTT, and unlikely. On the other hand, Bilbo as a rock-throwing-champ is *literally* book canon. (Read the Mirkwood spider segment of the book if you doubt me!)

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 22 2015, 10:01am)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 12:17pm

Post #4 of 29 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Legolas on the faling stones is like Legolas on the snow at Caradhras in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's Toliken giving us nonsense, everything is fine I guess...
That said, I love both scenes.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 12:19pm

Post #5 of 29 (2005 views)
Shortcut
yhea it is but [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder everytime I see DOS and BOTFA why he doesnt use the ring and the sword???

EVERYONE WOULD HAVE DONE THAT?

He is with Smaug and only uses at the end, he is in the middle of a huuuuge battle and he doesnt use them WHY?

He could havd taken down Azog alone

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 12:26pm

Post #6 of 29 (2009 views)
Shortcut
"Absolutely NOTHING matters!!!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That quote pretty much sums up PJ's approach to making the movie.

Got it on DVD yesterday to show my dad (big LotR fan). I'm starting to think this is worse than Star Wars Episode I. It's a movie that's actually kind of embarrassing to sit through, and for me it just gets worse with each viewing. Mad

It's kinda sad seeing my dad excitedly put the DVD on and watch his expression slowly drop as the film went on. At the end he said "What was the point in that second orc army? Couldn't they take on 5 dwarves?" I hadn't thought about that before. They just kinda stand there while Bolg and Azog die and then they get wiped out by eagles without attacking anything. They didn't seem to serve any function.

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 12:38pm

Post #7 of 29 (2004 views)
Shortcut
Why is that nonsense?? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Snow shoes allow people to walk on snow without sinking, by dispersing their weight over a wider surface area. (e.g. if you turn a knife on its side, it won't cut through butter as easily). We know that elves made all kinds of magical items and clothes, ropes & capes, so magical snow shoes is not really "physics defying".

2. There are certain native American techniques that allow people to walk on-top of snow without sinking. By moving quickly people can even walk across custard, and then when they stand still they sink.

3. The actual quote is more of a metaphor, compared to a physics defying stunt that magically saves his life at a convenient moment. "Frodo noticed as if for the first time, though he had long known it, that the Elf had no boots, but wore only light shoes, as he always did, and his feet made little imprint in the snow." I read that as no more literal than Gollum paddling his boat without making a ripple.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 22 2015, 12:49pm)

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 12:55pm

Post #8 of 29 (1959 views)
Shortcut
The embarrassing thing is that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas' stunt is actually possible, and doesn't defy gravity. Try pushing off a satellite in space, and you'll realise that that is possible, which is the same as what Legolas does in the Hobbit.

marary
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 1:01pm

Post #9 of 29 (1946 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a pretty decent article from Wired recently that explained how Legolas's stunt was unlikely and physically impossible: http://www.wired.com/...s-not-apply-legolas/

Though I do like the idea of Legolas as the first elf astronaut. He'd be great at it. Smile Can't you just picture him zipping around in that Gravity movie? I'd rather have him than Clooney.

Oh, and another gem: pointing out how ridiculous it was when Dwalin and Thorin took on 100 goblins by themselves. Heehee.

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 22 2015, 1:02pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 1:02pm

Post #10 of 29 (1944 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure the rock stunt is impossible... [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle-earth's gravity is acting on Legolas and the rock at the same time. No matter how hard he pushes against the rock he's not going to reverse the direction of his fall only slow the descent at best.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 22 2015, 1:03pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 1:14pm

Post #11 of 29 (1936 views)
Shortcut
I don't think your satellite example works [In reply to] Can't Post

A satellite, in orbit of the Earth, is in a constant state of falling, and so is the astronaut (just as Legolas and the rock are falling). When the astronaut pushes off of the satellite he will continue to orbit the earth in the same direction, just at a slower rate than the satellite, creating a distance between the two. What the astronaut cannot do (unless he's Legolas) is exert enough force on the satellite to change the direction of his orbit. That would require an immense amount of energy.

I remember this was one of the plot-holes in Gravity, they use excess landing fuel to change direction of a shuttle and get to another station, which is just not possible. You can't change the direction of gravity like that.

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 1:28pm

Post #12 of 29 (1914 views)
Shortcut
Elves are super strong and near massless, so it's not impossible. // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 1:55pm

Post #13 of 29 (1900 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

I sometimes forget that Legolas has near-zero mass and has more force in his legs than a space shuttle. I do wonder why he never used those legs to kick people into space or used his weightless abilities to simply float around like a helium balloon. Seems he didn't need the tower bridge at all when he could effectively fly.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 1:55pm

Post #14 of 29 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Legolas running on falling rocks [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone suggested that if you watch this scene while listening to "Chariots of Fire" that it's much better, LOL!Tongue

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 2:01pm

Post #15 of 29 (1898 views)
Shortcut
That guy sounds like a whiner [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to wonder if HE read the books - eagles showed up when they did because that's what happened in the book. Agree with him about two things, though: Martin Freeman and the ice fight between Thorin & Azog. Thorin stepping off the ice was genius, and it should have worked, but I guess that's not the way the story was written. OTOH, Azog wasn't even there, it was Bolg that killed Thorin. Sometimes too much really is too much, but despite these complaints I think it was a great movie overall. I can even forgive PJ for too much Alfrid.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 3:56pm

Post #16 of 29 (1816 views)
Shortcut
That said it was darn hard, and not physically impossible.... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 4:05pm

Post #17 of 29 (1820 views)
Shortcut
He hasenīt [In reply to] Can't Post

Cinemasins are saying that the books donīt mean anything.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 4:09pm

Post #18 of 29 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Does it matter? [In reply to] Can't Post

The film shouldn't rely on the book to explain away problems. He's not really a whiner, he does this with every popular movie as a joke. Pretty sure he's not serious in the majority of them.

marary
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 4:30pm

Post #19 of 29 (1787 views)
Shortcut
CinemaSins is not actually that mean spirited [In reply to] Can't Post

They do this to tons of movies I love. Pointing out flaws and plotholes is half the fun! (Or maybe I'm just a bit twisted.)

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 22 2015, 4:35pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 4:34pm

Post #20 of 29 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Agree - IMO the guy was straining here [In reply to] Can't Post

Like saying that there's no evidence that Legolas in the films - I assume the films as it isn't clear from the vid - hasn't had a history w. Aragorn - when in the film at the council Legolas steps up and confronts Boromir - and even the way Aragorn answers him shows the two have a relationship.

Gandalf I would assume WAS concerned about the dragon sickness/madness, but there was no way to know if Thorin/Fili/Kili were susceptible, and Gandalf planned to be with the dwarves when the mountain was entered.

E.g. some of the stuff this guy pings on IMO isn't accurate, or forced snark. Other stuff has been discussed on TORn.

So for me this was fun, but not as good as some of the other "Sin" vids. LOL tho it did: 1) make me want to watch BOFA again and 2) once again thoroughly appreciate the completely stunning Durins and 3) think I really need to see that Thranduil orc beheading again and 4) did I mention appreciating the Durins?WinkAngelicLaughCoolTongue

marary
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 4:39pm

Post #21 of 29 (1776 views)
Shortcut
What it boils down to [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was very clear in FOTR that Legolas and Aragorn had a past history as well! Big fail on that sin. (Though to be fair, it was hard to understand Thranduil's motivation for the "strider" scene!)

once again thoroughly appreciate the completely stunning Durins

Exactly that. Wink

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 22 2015, 4:43pm)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 22 2015, 7:37pm

Post #22 of 29 (1685 views)
Shortcut
hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Hilarious and true, the internet has been having a field day with BOFA! I've thoroughly enjoyed HISHE, Honest Trailers and now CinemaSins poke holes in this film. So many gaping holes in logic that could have been easily avoided.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 10:25pm

Post #23 of 29 (1627 views)
Shortcut
Does anybody seriously think PJ wasn't aware of those sins ? He just PLAYS with them. [In reply to] Can't Post

... and with the maturity of the fans of course.

Every people involved in the movie making know for sure that legions of youngsters would spend time on the net, analyzing each frame of the movie.
I've heard Evangeline Lilly stating that she was happy the movies were not to be taken 'too seriously'.

Don't forget that PJ is on the verge of filming some war that DID happen : the WWI, in which Kiwis and not Kilis were killed. Real war still bleed in memories of entire other countries. You can't mistake them for imaginary wars.

In the Hobbit PJ understood his mission was to make a fantasy movie about a fantasy war.
He didn't had to make it as gruesome as a real war is. Even Tolkien didn't. He wrote a story for children, so he flew over the gruesomeness of the war, he fled far from it.
Did we have to expect a 'realistic' war ? The death of each human, the death of each dwarf, the death of each elf ? Of course we did not.

So what we have instead is a spectacular delight, out of every frame. No real wounds (or so few), no real fear, no real suffering... Except for those among the audiences, and they were many, who happened to care about the only three characters that we knew by canon that they had to die : Kili, Fili and Thorin.
Interestingly, we can add to that list the Master of Laketown and his chief captain (and most probably Alfrid in the EE), who were especially built to meet their own death without provoking any grievance of any kind out of the audiences.

That is movie-making in its essence.

And what to say about this YouTube Dude who kept counting the 'sins' without appreciating a single bit of the fabulous scenery shown in each corner of each frame ?
Did anybody say 'nevrotic' ?

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 11:12pm

Post #24 of 29 (1608 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, thirteen more dwarves! // [In reply to] Can't Post

squiggle
Rivendell

Apr 23 2015, 4:52am

Post #25 of 29 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Legolas fighting stunts are part of his Elve Prince character [In reply to] Can't Post

It's less to do 'physics' & more to do with story telling.

This is an adaption of the Hobbit, another version of 'what really happened' of the same story.

Apart from Legolas driving the huge Goblin with daggers in brain......eckkkCrazy..........i've found Legolas character quite enjoyable in the Hobbit trilogy.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.