The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Meet Ben Pitchford, builder of the 120,000-piece Lego Rivendell

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 22 2015, 6:01am

Post #1 of 4 (4396 views)
Shortcut
Meet Ben Pitchford, builder of the 120,000-piece Lego Rivendell Can't Post

A little while back, we featured a story on a 120,000 piece Lego replica of Weta's rendition of Peter Jackson's Rivendell from The Hobbit.

Here, the designer and builder -- Ben Pitchford -- chats with us about his enormous creation, and how Lego has since asked him to submit a smaller, potentially commerciable, version to their Lego Ideas site. (If you'd like to see it become a reality -- it needs 10,000 supporters to move to the next stage and is already almost halfway there -- then head over to Ben's page on Lego Ideas and add your backing.)

Tell us a bit about yourself. The cliff notes version, if you like!

Ben P: I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books and movies. I also enjoy building LEGO with my kids and as a creative outlet after work.

How long have you been building with LEGO, and what inspired you to start doing it seriously?

Ben P: Like most LEGO fans I began building at a young age until my early teens and got back into it three years ago (before my oldest kid turned two). After discovering websites like Mocpages and The Brother's Brick I realized the potential for building custom models instead of following the instructions on store bought sets.

How did you become interested in Tolkien and Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit? What drew you to them and what do you like about them?

Ben P: I remember first reading Tolkien in high school after my sister got me into The Hobbit. Tolkien's distinct style drew me into the epic journey as I fell in love with the characters along the way. The movies are also a family favorite as we've watched them countless times, especially the battle scenes.

What was the first original piece you constructed? What do you think of it now?

Ben P: My first original piece inspired from Tolkien was Rivendell. I still wonder what I was thinking when I started this massive project.

With all the possibilities, what made you decide to build Rivendell?

Ben P: I'm obviously a big Lord of the Rings and Hobbit fan. From Tolkien's artwork, the natural serenity and Elven architecture in Rivendell always captivated me.

After watching The Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering, I was inspired to recreate Rivendell as portrayed in the movie.

In Peter Jackson's films, Rivendell is intricate and highly detailed. How did you recreate this with LEGO?

Ben P: I found a visual effects video from Weta Digital which gave me insight of Rivendell never released in the movie. With these behind the scenes images I was able to create every minor detail including the landscape, the location of the buildings, and even the moon runes which all light up.

I also studied Rivendell scenes in "The Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering" regularly to map it out. Weta Workshop was equally satisfied with the outcome as they featured it on their website.

How long do pieces generally take to create?

Ben P: I think the average piece takes a month or two to finish. Rivendell took much longer because of the size and its detailed environment that I wanted to keep exact to the movie.

What are the stats on the Rivendell piece?

Ben P: Rivendell has over 120,000 pieces with 26 minifigures. It's over 50 inches (1.3 meters) wide by 40 inches (1 meter) deep and the highest peak of the mountain is 50 (1.3 meter) inches tall. It weighs about 250 lbs (112kg). The build took 300+ hours spread out over 11 months to plan, design, and build.

Even though it breaks down into 6 pieces I still need a moving truck to transport.

Will you be showcasing it anywhere?

Ben P: It was on display earlier this year at the Children's Museum in my hometown. It will be at Discovery World in Milwaukee, WI in October. Blocks Magazine, based in the UK, also featured it in their March issue.

We've heard that you've redesigned Rivendell for LEGO IDEAS?

Ben P: LEGO actually contacted me and suggested I list Rivendell on the ideas page! I never thought it could be a real set because Rivendell is so big, but I submitted a downsized version which is currently gathering support to be a real set. Check out the update to see the downsized pics.

Is it normal for LEGO to reach out to people and ask them to submit a proposal to their IDEAS site?

Ben P: No, I don't think so. Originally, I posted the display on their gallery page and LEGO didn't think I was the actual builder and thought I posted another person's pictures. When they realized I was the builder, LEGO suggested I submit Rivendell to the ideas page.

What key decisions (or compromises) did you make in refining your LEGO IDEAS Rivendell submission?

Ben P: I had to downsize the giant display into a feasible set that might pass a review if it gets enough supporters, which you can see on the updates. Instead of picking one or two of the buildings I included most of them to give as many options. This way LEGO can pick and choose which builds they think would sell. I also included some minor landscaping and the light up moon rune for added play-ability. The feedback so far has been mostly positive and constructive in helping this version of Rivendell on its journey to 10,000 supporters.

Are you going to build more Middle-earth scenes?

The Woodland Realm has crossed my mind but I would have to tear down Rivendell and I'm not quit ready yet.

Ben's LEGO IDEAS Rivendell project is here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/91654.
Ben's MOC Rivendell Flickr full gallery is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127491317@N08/.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 22 2015, 11:44am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 22 2015, 12:30pm

Post #2 of 4 (4365 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's incredible what people build with Legos, but this may be the best yet. Would love to see it in person.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Apr 23 2015, 7:04am

Post #3 of 4 (4341 views)
Shortcut
Goodness me... [In reply to] Can't Post

that's remarkable! It wouldn't last long around my two grandsons, though; they would be nibbling away at it and creating cityscapes for Superheroes! Lego for grown-ups, definitely.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2015, 3:26pm

Post #4 of 4 (4277 views)
Shortcut
I love these! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.